AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Lysithea said:

I think Ostia is region around of Rome. 

I think so, too.

I also vaguely remember reading about a region called Silesse, but all I'm getting on google is colostomy stuff and the FE area.

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Now I can't stop picturing this. Amazing! XD

Now picture her adding her two cents to an...intimate moment. Probably a good thing she's mostly silent post timeskip.

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Stefan was a prick I had the "pleasure" to sit next to for a year.
I knew someone named Dimitri at one point.
Edelgard was the name of my great-grandaunt.

Obviously Prick Stefan was Claude in disguise sent by Dimitri to watch you and if you started acting like your great grandaunt then shit will go down/the lion king will bare his fangs.

2 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I think Ostia is/was an actual place since I remember seeing that name in a history book.

Ostia means "oh shit" in Spanish.

1 hour ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I also vaguely remember reading about a region called Silesse, but all I'm getting on google is colostomy stuff and the FE area.

while silesse isn't real, the katakana do map to the very real region of silesia

EDIT: the translators don't always go with the direct and tangible references (e.g. belhalla), but a shitload of proper nouns in fire emblem are just poached from real life if you dig a bit

Edited by Integrity

15 minutes ago, Integrity said:

while silesse isn't real, the katakana do map to the very real region of silesia

EDIT: the translators don't always go with the direct and tangible references (e.g. belhalla), but a shitload of proper nouns in fire emblem are just poached from real life if you dig a bit

Ah! Thank you! I knew I was close!

On 8/25/2019 at 5:52 PM, Dragoncat said:

Obviously Prick Stefan was Claude in disguise sent by Dimitri to watch you and if you started acting like your great grandaunt then shit will go down/the lion king will bare his fangs.

Nice!

---

More places/names that Fire Emblem "ripped off":
- Macedon = Macedonia, both a country that still exists today and the region in which Alexander the Great was supposedly born in Northern Greece (they actually fought over the name for a long while, believe it or not)
- Thracia = an ancient name for a region which covers wide areas of modern Bulgaria; was once part of the Roman Empire
- Bern = the capital of Switzerland (which is why the nation is called "Biran" in the German version of the game)
- Great Wall of Suzanoh = Susano'o was the god that killed the Yamata-no-Orochi in Shinto mythology
- Lycia = a geopolitical region on the southern coast of Turkey, fought for the Persians in the Persian wars
- Balmung = Sword of Siegfried in Norse mythology
- Siegfried = hero of the Niebelungen saga
- Sigurd = Siegfried's original name in Norse mythology
- Siegmund = Siegfried's father
- Sieglinde = Siegfried's mother, who is also Siegmund's sister *insert Ephraim meme here*
- Mercurius = Roman name for the god Mercury, whose Greek equivalent is Hermes
- Gawain (Greil's real name) = one of King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table, often depicted as the definitive and most powerful knight of them all (other than Arthur himself, of course)
- Athos = One of the Three Musketeers of French fame
- Hraesvelgr (or Hresvelg) = a mighty giant that takes the form of an eagle, who sits at the end of the world and causes wind to blow whenever he flaps his wings

There are more, but these are the ones I know off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Nice!

---

More places/names that Fire Emblem "ripped off":
- Macedon = Macedonia, both a country that still exists today and the region in which Alexander the Great was supposedly born in Northern Greece (they actually fought over the name for a long while, believe it or not)
- Thracia = an ancient name for a region which covers wide areas of modern Bulgaria; was once part of the Roman Empire
- Bern = the capital of Switzerland (which is why the nation is called "Biran" in the German version of the game)
- Great Wall of Suzanoh = Susano'o was the god that killed the Yamata-no-Orochi in Shinto mythology
- Lycia = a geopolitical region on the southern coast of Turkey, fought for the Persians in the Persian wars
- Balmung = Sword of Siegfried in Norse mythology
- Siegfried = hero of the Niebelungen saga
- Sigurd = Siegfried's original name in Norse mythology
- Siegmund = Siegfried's father
- Sieglinde = Siegfried's mother, who is also Siegmund's sister *insert Ephraim meme here*
- Mercurius = Roman name for the god Mercury, whose Greek equivalent is Hermes
- Gawain (Greil's real name) = one of King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table, often depicted as the definitive and most powerful knight of them all (other than Arthur himself, of course)
- Athos = One of the Three Musketeers of French fame
- Hraesvelgr (or Hresvelg) = a mighty giant that takes the form of an eagle, who sits at the end of the world and causes wind to blow whenever he flaps his wings

There are more, but these are the ones I know off the top of my head.

I could write a report on comparisons between FE and Mythology.

2 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I could write a report on comparisons between FE and Mythology.

To be fair, you could do that for pretty much every story with a fantasy setting. They all have their roots in mythology. JRPGs (and especially Fire Emblem) are just especially blatant about it.

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

To be fair, you could do that for pretty much every story with a fantasy setting. They all have their roots in mythology. JRPGs (and especially Fire Emblem) are just especially blatant about it.

Yeah. I just have a big love of both FE and mythology.

I'm seeing gui created a new chat thread

also yeah claude's hot

also I'm shorter than every feth character aside from sothis who's just made to be incredibly short anyway cri

6 minutes ago, Freohr Datia said:

also I'm shorter than every feth character aside from sothis who's just made to be incredibly short anyway cri

Sothis has a set height?

10 minutes ago, Freohr Datia said:

How short are you?

But same, I'm the same height as Flayn.

2 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Yo, guess who lost their second to last baby tooth even though I should have braces by now.

I lost my last one around middle school ish and it was a molar and it looked super gross. It was supposed to go earlier but it didn't. It overstayed its welcome.

Now wait until you deal with wisdom teeth.

52 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I lost my last one around middle school ish and it was a molar and it looked super gross. It was supposed to go earlier but it didn't. It overstayed its welcome.

Now wait until you deal with wisdom teeth.

I'm not in middle school.

Yeah, the molar looked gross. There was a bunch of gunk.

I got my canines pulled last year and one of them still hasn't poked out yet.

12 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I'm not in middle school.

Yeah, the molar looked gross. There was a bunch of gunk.

I got my canines pulled last year and one of them still hasn't poked out yet.

Ouch.

26 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

ASHVGVCYUBYYVYIYB

THERE ARE FUCKING BEEZ IN MY BATHROOM SEND HELP!

You want Ashe to get the bees out? You said Ash up there.

He'll do it, he's everybody's homie.

4 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

You want Ashe to get the bees out? You said Ash up there.

He'll do it, he's everybody's homie.

Update: they're dead. My grandma killed them with my shoe.

Yay.

Also, it's funny you mentioned Ashe because I killed him in my GD playthrough.

Edited by Espurrhoodie

1 minute ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Also, it's funny you mentioned Ashe because I killed him in my GD playthrough.

I did too. I wanted to save him, he didn't want to die, I still have his killer bow.

RIP Home Boy.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I did too. I wanted to save him, he didn't want to die, I still have his killer bow.

RIP Home Boy.

I'm playing BL now and I will treat him as if he were my child.

10 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Sothis has a set height?

there was a chart I saw that said she's 139cm (though tbf I haven't checked if that chart actually got that from a valid source or if they made it up)

10 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

How short are you?

But same, I'm the same height as Flayn.

I am about 147cm/4'10!