Lets talk about the villains *Spoilers*

The game has been out for about two weeks now so I'm assuming most people have already encountered the big villains. How would you say the Three Houses villains turned out? For all the positives of the 3DS Sage I think its safe to say that its the low point as far as Fire Emblem villains go. With this in mind the villains in Three Houses always interested me. Would they learn from the mistakes of the 3ds villains, or would it just continue the trend of having bad villains?

Sadly I find the Three Houses villains to be really awful. I don't think there's a single good one. Its the area where the game's writing is on par with Fates or even a little below it. 

The main problem are Those that slither in the Dark. They have a very unfortunate combination of being both incredibly generic and having incredibly little screentime. Solon is just a really generic Gharnef without any traits of his own and who dies almost immediately after he's introduced. Kronya is just another Peri who also dies immediately after she's introduced. 

The Flame faction isn't much better. The Flame emperor is great when the mask comes off but as a malevolent masked figure he was always rather lame. The Death Knight is just the Black Knight with every single interesting trait removed.

No luck with minor villains either. The Paralogues have a very nasty habit of just not including bosses.  Most of the time the boss is just a generic mook. Fates and Awakening had all sorts of wacky weirdo's for their paralogues but in Three Houses its hard to even find a boss in a paralogue. 

I suspect that the reason we got such terribly villains is because the drama of the main cast fighting each other is supposed to be what keeps us invested. I'm certainly invested in the conflict between the houses and the church, but this is the exact same thing Fates did and failed at. Team Garon probably didn't have any effort put into them because IS counted on the siblings to be the enemies we were supposed to be invested in. This approach works a lot better in Three Houses than in Fates but I do find it a bit worrying IS decided to reuse a template that was already proven to be terribly flawed in Fates. It doesn't make me very confident in future games having good villains.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those that Slither in the Dark are minor upgrades over Garon/Nohr and Validar/Grima/The Grimleal, mostly because while they're still obviously evil, the good guys never put up with their shit.

The thing that pissed me off the most about the Awakening/Fates villains were them twiddling their fingers and taunting the protagonists, while they'd just sit there and go "... are they evil? I dunno, but we gotta work with 'em." Those that Slither in the Dark, at the very least, are from the outset, undoubtedly evil, and Solon, the only one who tries to convince the party that he's not evil, does a much better job at hiding his obviously evil tendencies. I'm never yelling at the game "STOP TRUSTING THALES" or anything like that.

The Flame Empire is vastly better than anything in the 3DS games. Like, Edelgard/Hubert are so much more compelling villains than just about anybody else, and the minor Empire villains are fine. There's some assholes and some sympathetic ones in the Empire, but it's pretty standard FE fare at that point. The Death Knight sucks and isn't anything special compared to the Black Knight, yeah, but the Black Knight is one of the most iconic villains in the franchise.

The lack of paralogue villains sucks, but does anybody remember 99% of the paralogue villains from the 3DS games? Awakening recycled most of the boss portraits in their paralogues.

Edited by Slumber

I don't think Death Knight and Black Knight are really comparable outside of the "Mysterious Super Strong Enemy General Whose Face And Name You Don't Initially Know" factor.

Like, Death Knight is straight up crazy and serial killer 😛 You never really learn what made him to be what he is, but implication is that he killed everyone in his family(reading the library, Emile who was also heir to the house disappeared right after every other house member died) and then joined up imperial army.  He doesn't really seem to care about anything but fighting even if he has random acts of kindness or something akin to that. Hes not really hiding his identity behind a mask, he is so crazy he wears the mask all the time.

I've only played through the Golden Deers route so far, so I'll wait until after I finish all the paths before I give my opinion on the Flame Empire. As for Those Who Slither In The Dark, yeah they're pretty meh. Better than the Fates villains imo, but not by much.

40 minutes ago, MaskedMaskoftheMasks said:

I don't think Death Knight and Black Knight are really comparable outside of the "Mysterious Super Strong Enemy General Whose Face And Name You Don't Initially Know" factor.

Like, Death Knight is straight up crazy and serial killer 😛 You never really learn what made him to be what he is, but implication is that he killed everyone in his family(reading the library, Emile who was also heir to the house disappeared right after every other house member died) and then joined up imperial army.  He doesn't really seem to care about anything but fighting even if he has random acts of kindness or something akin to that. Hes not really hiding his identity behind a mask, he is so crazy he wears the mask all the time.

I do find their to be a very clear comparison aside from being very powerful masked guys. 

Both live for combat. All the Deathknight wants is a good fight. The Black Knight isn't such an obvious psychopath about it but he's very much the same. Craving a good fight turns out to be the very reason he murdered Greil and he often displays a warrior spirit.

Being better than poopoo doesn't mean you're not considered bad. 

DK is wasted potential. At least he's memorable in being a pain in the butt. Flame Emperor is a wet fart and was predictable. Solon and Kronya are uninspired. Thales is a massive douchebag with no redeeming qualities. Speaking of the first act villains only as I'll speak about the others once I've finished all paths.

Honestly disappointed when it comes to the stand out villains or rather antagonists Edelgard at the forefront with Black Eagles backed into cornered Rhea 

Spoiler

having her past Seiros anger tendency considering she views Edelgard and Byleth to be like a second coming of Nemesis from her point of view understandably so no wonder she's pissed

and then Death Knight who is certainly no Black Knight, but he's just okay are the ones in this game that were good. The ones who slither in the dark are poor sure they're not Fates level but still awful regardless so they may as well be in the same tier because both don't pass the standard of what makes for a good opposing force. I wish we could get another FE game with the same excellent amount of antagonists as Sacred Stones because I think we can all agree that had a excellent rogue gallery with characters such as Lyon at the forefront, Valter, Caellach, Selena and Orson so you have 5 well written antagonist characters where as for this game you really only have 2 because of how the paths turn out with Edelgard and Rhea switching. Path of Radiance had Black Knight, Ashnard and Petrine though for me the latter two could have had a bit more substance just in how Ashnard's spotlight really comes in end game and most of his interesting dialogue is locked behind battle conversations some of which can be missable like having Reyson fight him and there could have been more done with Petrine given her branded status but she does do her role well but she's certainly not at Valter's level when it comes to comparing the two.

Shadows of Valentia really only had Berkut who was a well written antagonist for Alm but unlike how Lyon and the Black Knight have an impact on Ephraim and Ike respectively in breaking them like how Lyon plot twists the viewers and Ephraim in actually being Lyon declaring himself the Demon King when all this time we thought the Demon King had consumed Lyon especially since doing Eirika's path and obviously Ike's father being killed by no less his own student which Ike wants to get revenge. Berkut gets the Duma upgrade which for sure makes him menacing but remember despite getting that along with how he was before he never has a impactful moment of breaking Alm unless you really count his death scene with Alm not wanting him to die because he's the only family he has left in which I wouldn't because there he makes amends with Alm so no. Edelgard falls in line with Lyon and the Black Knight because her turning out to be the Flame Emperor breaks Dimitri with him having a maniacal laughter and what follows between the two of them throughout the Blue Lions path.

Therefore if we're going by Fated Battle Voting Gauntlet which from according to Heroes:

Marth vs Hardin

Sigurd vs Arvis

Ephraim vs Lyon

Ike vs Zelgius

and then insert what could and should be the Fated Battles 2 Voting Gauntlet:

Alm vs Berkut

Seliph vs Julius

Roy vs Zephiel

Dimitri vs Edelgard

Probably Edelgard's and Dimitri's Routes are the ones that have the more interesting dynamic with their respective antagonists for the fact Rhea mirrors some aspects of Edelgard; and Edelgard it's essencially Dimitri's foil.

The other bad guys are more bland in what they offer to the narrative other that lore and some fun fights in the case of DK.

So far after completing the BL route mid way into the Church path. I think that Edelgard is the strongest antagonist in the game. What make her stand out is possibly knowing her fleshing her out greatly. Same applies to Hubert. The other however not so much; the Fire Emblem issue of teleportating villains come in full force in the same at the most important moments feels cheap. The vagueness of Those that slither in the Dark and little screen time doesn't help matters.

1 minute ago, Troykv said:

Probably Edelgard's and Dimitri's Routes are the ones that have the more interesting dynamic with their respective antagonists for the fact Rhea mirrors some aspects of Edelgard; and Edelgard it's essencially Dimitri's foil.

The other bad guys are more bland in what they offer to the narrative other that lore and some fun fights in the case of DK.

Agreed

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

The thing that pissed me off the most about the Awakening/Fates villains were them twiddling their fingers and taunting the protagonists, while they'd just sit there and go "... are they evil? I dunno, but we gotta work with 'em." Those that Slither in the Dark, at the very least, are from the outset, undoubtedly evil, and Solon, the only one who tries to convince the party that he's not evil, does a much better job at hiding his obviously evil tendencies. I'm never yelling at the game "STOP TRUSTING THALES" or anything like that.

question when has the subject of moral ambiguity ever been present within the villains of either awakening or fates? Like I don't understand what your statement here is. When it comes to the major villains of both of those titles never has it been brought up the idea that these villains should be trusted in any capacity(Well conquest toys around with the idea but my point still stands). No villain in either game is even remotely morally ambiguous or presented as such and the story never brings up the question as if they are. The only one that I can truly say was at least somewhat in that camp is Walhart and that's because he acts as a foil to Chrom and Emmeryn. Nobody questions whether these Villains are evil or not at least in regards to awakening. Fates like I said kind of toys with the idea of trust but Ultimately every time Corrin trusts someone that is so obviously evil they are narratively punished for it. For example, they trust Garon and Hans in the first half of Conquest's story and in doing so they are forced to watch the slaughter of countless Innocent lives. It's only after that that they begin to question things. It falls in line with those themes of lies and deception that fates's story opts to explore. It may be hamfisted at points but the message is there. Also Grima or the grimleal are never presented in that way either. To say that they were would be missing the point of awakening's story entirely. They are clearly presented as evil within the story to say otherwise is just dumb. 

To stay on topic with the thread though, I will say that a villain should be judged by their role in the story and how they fulfill that role. A villain is an antagonist and as such should oppose the protagonist in some meaningful way in regards to the story's themes and ideas. as far as that is concerned in regards to three houses well...the only good villain I can say in this story right now are Edelgard, Rhea, and the other house leaders. TWSITD as stated in the OP doesn't really amount to much cause they don't really do anything in the story. They lack any clear presence and are just kinda there for the sake of having a generic evil bad guy. Beating them leaves little to no narrative impact on any of the characters as far as I can tell except maybe Rhea because her entire family was slaughtered by them. And like the OP said they just kind of show up and are killed off just as soon as they appear and their overall impact on their story as a whole during that time is negligible at best. The only one I can truly say has any overall lasting impact is Kronya cause she's the one to kill Jeralt which is leans very well into Dimitri's character arc in the blue lions path. But even then, in golden deer at least(I haven't played black eagles yet) that impact is sadly minuscule and overall pointless. 

TWSITD are just fine. They're not great villains because not a single one of their characters are interesting in any way but I do like the backstory behind their group and think that redeems them somewhat.

Death Knight was kind of boring. He's only interesting as a sort of gameplay challenge.

The game shines when the Dimitri, Rhea or Edelgard have the role of the antagonist. When either one of those characters are put in that role I feel like 3H is easily one of the best FE games storywise. The dialogue and fantastic moments they provide is something I definitely will not forget for a very very long time. 

Edited by Hekselka

20 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

question when has the subject of moral ambiguity ever been present within the villains of either awakening or fates? Like I don't understand what your statement here is. When it comes to the major villains of both of those titles never has it been brought up the idea that these villains should be trusted in any capacity(Well conquest toys around with the idea but my point still stands). No villain in either game is even remotely morally ambiguous or presented as such and the story never brings up the question as if they are. The only one that I can truly say was at least somewhat in that camp is Walhart and that's because he acts as a foil to Chrom and Emmeryn. Nobody questions whether these Villains are evil or not at least in regards to awakening. Fates like I said kind of toys with the idea of trust but Ultimately every time Corrin trusts someone that is so obviously evil they are narratively punished for it. For example, they trust Garon and Hans in the first half of Conquest's story and in doing so they are forced to watch the slaughter of countless Innocent lives. It's only after that that they begin to question things. It falls in line with those themes of lies and deception that fates's story opts to explore. It may be hamfisted at points but the message is there. Also Grima or the grimleal are never presented in that way either. To say that they were would be missing the point of awakening's story entirely. They are clearly presented as evil within the story to say otherwise is just dumb. 

I didn't say they were morally ambiguous or ever portrayed as ambiguous. I was making the point that, even though Validar and Garon and their goons were clearly evil, the good guys in both games still work with them and entertain them for way too long, and ponder if these obviously evil guys are really evil enough to not benefit off of.

Awakening gives a better excuse than Fates, since Plegia has warships that Ylisse wants to cross the ocean, but the whole goddamn scene where Chrom asks Validar for aid is Validar making blatant threats to Chrom and Robin, and Chrom just going with it. And then he just goes to meet with Validar, after doubting that Validar is telling the truth, when he says he's gonna give Chrom the last gemstone and they walk into an ambush and end up losing the Fire Emblem.

The point I was making, that you missed, is that the villains in Awakening and Fates get away with way more than they should, and it really makes them worse as villains(While also hurting the protagonists). FETH manages to skirt this issue because the protagonists aren't just always giving the villains longer leashes than they should. The moment Those Who Slither show up, pretty much everyone besides other villains are on board with giving them no leeway.

Edited by Slumber

I think Edelgard may well be the BEST villain in the entire series. You really get to know her and even possibly like her which makes having to face her in battle all the more tragic. A teacher having to kill a former prodigy is very tragic and makes for a some great drama. Shes up there with Avris but as others have pointed out, you get to see the human side of Edelgard which you almost never see with most FE villains. Personally, I rate her #1.

Edited by wissenschaft

26 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I didn't say they were morally ambiguous or ever portrayed as ambiguous. I was making the point that, even though Validar and Garon and their goons were clearly evil, the good guys in both games still work with them and entertain them for way too long.

Okay with Garon that is literally the entire point of the story. Fates is a story that deals in themes of deception, lies, and trust. Garon is made out to be so obviously evil and it is stupid that Corrin trusts him to any capacity but here's the thing whenever Corrin does do that they are punished for it by the narrative. It is because they trust Garon that so many people die which is never presented as a good thing. They trust Garon but they aren't supposed so bad things happen as a result. Corrin is builds trust with Garon because they feel it's the only way to reveal the truth when it isn't because it ultimately brings to light the contradiction present within Corrin's character inherent in them choosing to side with Nohr and it is because of that contradiction that they ultimately fail to find the truth as shown when Azura kinda just disappears at the end(as she is a physical representation of the truth). I could go on all day about this but I already have and this isn't the thread for it.

26 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Awakening gives a better excuse, since Plegia has warships that Ylisse wants to cross the ocean, but the whole goddamn scene where Chrom asks Validar for aid is Validar making blatant threats to Chrom and Robin, and Chrom just going with it. And then he just goes to meet with Validar, after doubting that Validar is telling the truth, when he says he's gonna give Chrom the last gemstone and they walk into an ambush and end up losing the Fire Emblem.

You do realize that they literally had no other choice in the matter, correct? They needed ships to stave off Valm. Plegia was the only one who had any ships so they HAD to trust plegia whether they liked it or not. Hell, that is even outright stated by Chrom, Robin, and Basilio. Yes they did not trust Validar and yes they recived aid from him even knowing that fact. but what was more important? Dealing with someone who was suspicious but hadn't really taken any real action yet or trying to take of the giant ass Valmese army heading their ready to destroy both them and Plegia. I dunno about you but I'd rather deal with the immediate threat of a full scale foreign invasion first before dealing with the sneaky little rat. Like I'm just saying your point here is completely moot. Also They know for fact it's a trap. They say as much before the chapter begins and they prepare for it. It's supposed to be tense scene. They need the gemstone and this is the only way to get it. This kind of stuff happens in stories all the time.

Edited by Ottservia

...Their point isn't about the Valm invasion at all, though? It's about Chrom being an absolute idiot post-Valm and going to get Sable with the emblem on him. Which he is. Fates expects you to think Corrin is logical in trying to reform Nohr from the inside, which is stupid, considering they're just one kid with absolutely no support except from a foreign princess. Hoshido, given Corn's foreknowledge, is the only logical choice in defeating Garon and avenging their mother. If they tried to make it obvious that your choice was stupid if you sided with Nohr, I could get behind that, but arguably worse things happen when you choose Hoshido! 

3 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

Fates expects you to think Corrin is logical in trying to reform Nohr from the inside, which is stupid, considering they're just one kid with absolutely no support except from a foreign princess. Hoshido, given Corn's foreknowledge, is the only logical choice in defeating Garon and avenging their mother. If they tried to make it obvious that your choice was stupid if you sided with Nohr, I could get behind that, but arguably worse things happen when you choose Hoshido! 

No that is not at all what the story is trying to do. In choosing to side with either Hoshido or Nohr Corrin contradicts herself and that contradiction is what ultimately causes them to fail on both paths. Choosing to side with Nohr or Hoshido is considered wrong by the narrative as seen with how the ending to both routes is very unsatisfying. It is only when Corrin refuses to choose a side that they make the correct choice because they don't contradict themselves. Again I could go on all day about this but I won't cause this isn't the thread for that.

7 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

...Their point isn't about the Valm invasion at all, though? It's about Chrom being an absolute idiot post-Valm and going to get Sable with the emblem on him. Which he is.

Umm no, If you paid attention to the story Chrom and Robin are very much aware that they are walking straight into a trap so they arm their troops in advance as a contingency but they have no other choice in the matter. Plegia has the gemstone they need and they have to get it somehow and and every single idea they have would involve SOME kind of risk this one just seemed the least risky to them at the time. 

I really liked the deception with Monica and tomas. I had no suspicions regarding the latter, and Monica's cover story of being a kidnapped girl from last year was good enough for me, though I may had continued being suspicious if I were playing black eagles and she randomly joined my class. Kronya may weirdly be the best villain in the game since she's the only one who actually dies rather than teleports away to fight you again. Literally all of the others manage to escape, and you'd be lucky to even have the game show them warping away.

The other villains are just...not there. Black Knight's kind of a weirdo in saving you, and he doesn't get any resolution or explanation of his goals. He technically surives right? I don't even remember the name of the Nemesis wannabe who ruled Shambala, he apparently can divine pulse like you can but he neglects to use it for the finale. Nemesis also has nothing to say or do for the finale. The 10 Elites also have no dialogue with their descendants which is a bummer. In the Golden Deer path, Edelgard had some potential but it felt more like "welp, you beat me, can you take care of my evil neighbors who lurk in the dark? Waging a fruitless world war didn't leave me with much time to actually take those guys out". The only thing I like about her resolution is Byleth executing her since she has nothing to say for her crimes. Dimitri also dies within the same chapter he's re-introduced which is a bummer. He had no feasible reason to fight us other than I guess being too psychotic to form words which had pretty much no setup in the Golden Deer path.

Honestly, it's a struggle to name a Fire Emblem game with a worse cast of Villains than this one. But I'll be damned if the playable cast isn't extremely likeable and fleshed out compared to previous games, at least among the Golden Deer. Though having just beaten the game, it's hard to say how set in stone those opinions are.

Edited by Glennstavos

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Umm no, If you paid attention to the story Chrom and Robin are very much aware that they are walking straight into a trap so they arm their troops in advance as a contingency but they have no other choice in the matter. Plegia has the gemstone they need and they have to get it somehow and and every single idea they have would involve SOME kind of risk this one just seemed the least risky to them at the time. 

Just because you're aware you're walking into a trap doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so. If they didn't go walk into that trap, Validar would likely have invaded and given them a chance to off him in a bid to get the Fire Emblem... but they don't even wait. Awakening has a big problem with rushing directly into things, methinks. 

Anyway, the villains in this game suck, besides Rhea and Edelgard. Nemesis is interesting backstory-wise, but in the present day he's outlandishly boring. I hope the Star-Devouring Silver Wolf dlc is about him. 

5 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Chrom makes a conscious effort to bring the Fire Emblem. He didn't have to do that. He thinks it's the best way to avoid losing it.

Chrom deliberately walks into a trap and loses the Fire Emblem because he was straight up wrong. It's incredibly dumb.

7 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I really liked the deception with Monica and tomas. I had no suspicions regarding the latter, and Monica's cover story of being a kidnapped girl from last year was good enough for me, though I may had continued being suspicious if I were playing black eagles and she randomly joined my class. Kronya may weirdly be the best villain in the game since she's the only one who actually dies rather than teleports away to fight you again. Literally all of the others manage to escape, and you'd be lucky to even have the game show them warping away.

The other villains are just...not there. Black Knight's kind of a weirdo in saving you, and he doesn't get any resolution or explanation of his goals. He technically surives right? I don't even remember the name of the Nemesis wannabe who ruled Shambala, he apparently can divine pulse like you can but he neglects to use it for the finale. Nemesis also has nothing to say or do for the finale. The 10 Elites also have no dialogue with their descendants which is a bummer. In the Golden Deer path, Edelgard had some potential but it felt more like "welp, you beat me, can you take care of my evil neighbors who lurk in the dark? Waging a fruitless world war didn't leave me with much time to actually take those guys out". The only thing I like about her resolution is Byleth executing her since she has nothing to say for her crimes. Dimitri also dies within the same chapter he's re-introduced which is a bummer. He had no feasible reason to fight us other than I guess being too psychotic to form words which had pretty much no setup in the Golden Deer path.

Honestly, it's a struggle to name a Fire Emblem game with a worse cast of Villains than this one. But I'll be damned if the playable cast isn't extremely likeable and fleshed out compared to previous games, at least among the Golden Deer. Though having just beaten the game, it's hard to say how set in stone those opinions are.

Nah, I still consider the Fates villains to be worse

Just now, Slumber said:

Chrom makes a conscious effort to bring the Fire Emblem. He didn't have to do that. He thinks it's the best way to avoid losing it.

Chrom deliberately walks into a trap and loses the Fire Emblem because he was straight up wrong. It's incredibly dumb.

Yeah and the explanation given by Chrom, himself, is that if he didn't bring it Validar could have snuck a spy in to steal it while he was away also negotiations could've gone south real fast if he hadn't shown good faith first by showing he had nothing to hide from validar(which didn't really matter in the end anyway but still). Also it's explained by Basilio later that Chrom didn't bring the gemstones with him just the fire emblem as Basilio swapped out the real gemstones with fake ones just before the negotiations. It's a relatively hamfisted and rushed sequence of events I will admit but at least it's an explanation. Also there's another problem with the argument. A character taking an action you don't agree with IS NOT bad writing. It just means you don't agree with it and that's fine but it isn't bad writing. It's only bad writing if the action doesn't make sense within the context of the character which in this case it does make some kind of sense as far as I can tell anyway.

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Yeah and the explanation given by Chrom, himself, is that if he didn't bring it Validar could have snuck a spy in to steal it while he was away also negotiations could've gone south real fast if he hadn't shown good faith first by showing he had nothing to hide from validar(which didn't really matter in the end anyway but still). Also it's explained by Basilio later that Chrom didn't bring the gemstones with him just the fire emblem as Basilio swapped out the real gemstones with fake ones just before the negotiations. It's a relatively hamfisted and rushed sequence of events I will admit but at least it's an explanation. Also there's another problem with the argument. A character taking an action you don't agree with IS NOT bad writing. It just means you don't agree with it and that's fine but it isn't bad writing. It's only bad writing if the action doesn't make sense within the context of the character which in this case it does make some kind of sense as far as I can tell anyway.

I mean, writing is subjective, so I absolutely agree on that front.

I'm talking shit about Awakening's(And Fates') writing in comparison to FETH's. But I should probably be more upfront that I'm not trying to state any of the things I say, other than the things that absolutely happen in the context of the games, are fact. Just my opinions. That kind of got lost after my original post in this thread.

So, to reword, I guess:

I don't like that a lot of the writing in Fates and Awakening feels rushed to give the bad guys more breathing room. I feel FETH handled its villains and their actions much better.

Edited by Slumber