Three Houses has now been out for one year! How have your opinions on it changed since release?

On 8/17/2020 at 8:23 PM, Ottservia said:

I disagree simply because if you’re gonna do that then what’s the point of having an avatar character in the first place.

I really don't want a avatar character. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. I don't have this incessant need to customize my own paper doll, go fishing, play mini games in a turn-based tactical strategy game. I do like some RPG elements but the focus has been too great on presentation/sugar coating, and not on varied map design/quantity, strategy, and variety in objectives. And what the heck is going on with the range of archers in 3H. It is game breaking. No elevation penalities/bonuses, critical rates shooting up into the low 80's, etc. Just my opinion and as always, you are welcome to respond with a counterpoint for further discussion if you wish it. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly do the avatar properly or don’t and spend your time and money on good gameplay experience. Its like they forgotten a good game DOESNT always need a avatar. This also doesn’t justify lazy writing and map design. If you want to make difficult do a Megaman 9 enemy intro where they show the black beast attack your affected party miss and to show the range of it attacks without holding your hand afterwards 

Honestly, I am beginning to question the value of an avatar character.

We already have flexible class systems. Ergo, Avatars serve no unique mechanical function.

We already have plot central characters in the form of lords.

We already have games that let you pick your lord.

We already have a game that lets you physically control your lord through explorable maps (SoV).

Lords already have flexible romance and ending options, and have since at least Binding Blade. There's no reason that can't be expanded to allow the player to pick anyone, just like an avatar. Or to spread all available romance options out between multiple choosable lords.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Honestly, I am beginning to question the value of an avatar character.

Because Avatars are popular. 

Persona, Dragon Quest, and various other games have avatars in them, and because there is a popularity in games with an Avatar, IS feels no need to remove the Avatars.

Pretty much.

By far the three most successful Fire Emblems in recent years featured avatars, and even if they aren't the reason for their games' success, I doubt IS wants to take a chance on removing them at this point.

I don't really care for them myself but I accept that they're here to stay. Kinda hope they return to having speaking roles since I really don't like silent mains in story-heavy games, but I'm not holding my breath.

11 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Pretty much.

By far the three most successful Fire Emblems in recent years featured avatars, and even if they aren't the reason for their games' success, I doubt IS wants to take a chance on removing them at this point.

I don't really care for them myself but I accept that they're here to stay. Kinda hope they return to having speaking roles since I really don't like silent mains in story-heavy games, but I'm not holding my breath.

Makes me worry that they'll probably make more multi-routes as well.

As people have spend more time in Three Houses its becoming a recurring criticism that the monastery eventually gets boring. I wonder if this complaint could have been alleviated if Derdriu, Embarr and Fhirdiad also became bases that the player could explore. A change of location could be just what players need to keep things flesh. 

I understand why IS didn't go that route. Perhaps they feared people would get annoyed about being pushed in an entirely new location but as it turns out people are getting annoyed by being shoved into the same location. A new environment could help address that, and for the story it would sometimes be more logical for the Lords not to be at the monastery. 

5 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Replace "worry" with "happy" for me. I'll be quite content if they never go back to writing simple stories about how a good prince conquers an objectively evil nation. Three Houses is the best thing they've written IMO and a version of the game with only one route would feel soulless.

5 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Think:

Awakening had 1 faction

Fates had 2 (and a 3rd with DLC)

Three houses obviously had 3 (and a fourth route)

The next game will have 4 factions and five routes/a DLC route.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

As people have spend more time in Three Houses its becoming a recurring criticism that the monastery eventually gets boring. I wonder if this complaint could have been alleviated if Derdriu, Embarr and Fhirdiad also became bases that the player could explore. A change of location could be just what players need to keep things flesh. 

I understand why IS didn't go that route. Perhaps they feared people would get annoyed about being pushed in an entirely new location but as it turns out people are getting annoyed by being shoved into the same location. A new environment could help address that, and for the story it would sometimes be more logical for the Lords not to be at the monastery. 

I personally wish that they actually did it like Trails of Cold Steel, where the main characters actually interact with NPCs and even have personal arcs for both sides, as they grow. 

I mean, Part 1 is supposed to be this wonderful and peaceful time where everyone is happy and such, even reflected by the lyrics of Edge of Dawn that is sung from Edelgard's perspective, which fans like to apply to other characters because they want to, but there were FEW chapters that really made the story and time in Garreg Mach really "magical" by any means. Trails of Cold Steel really showed how, despite there being issues happening outside the school and growing tensions, and even turmoil and drama in the school, everyone gets to have lighthearted and enjoyable moments for the class. 

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Replace "worry" with "happy" for me. I'll be quite content if they never go back to writing simple stories about how a good prince conquers an objectively evil nation. Three Houses is the best thing they've written IMO and a version of the game with only one route would feel soulless.

You can write a single story that is morally grey. You can literally have written an entire single story, Radiant Dawn style, of Crimson Flower. It's not beyond the realm of possibility, but the way they handled the multi-routes here leaves much to be desired. 

I've played Fire Emblem: Three Houses: for 795 hours or more and I still  don't regret it. I still love the game.

Yes the game has flaws but every single FE game has flaws and the things it does well it does really well and they matter the most to me. It also has some of my new FE favorite characters in Lysithea, Edelgard and Felix. Still my favorite FE game.

Nah, they won’t go for more than three/four routes. They had a hard enough time with getting this game done in time and three of the four routes are structurally very similar.

15 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Nah, they won’t go for more than three/four routes. They had a hard enough time with getting this game done in time and three of the four routes are structurally very similar.

Yeah. And this is despite how 3H has the problem of map reuse to an absurd degree.