What was your first exposure to anime?

null

18 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

You've seen Violet Evergarden?! Cool. That was one of the first few anime I've ever seen, yet not even people I know who watch a lot of anime have seen it. What did you think of it?

I loved it actually... Well, maybe not everything, but like 80% of it. The other 20% was things that didn't particularly caught my interest, but damn that anime gave me dem feelz :D I haven't watched the special episode, but I might watch it once the movie drops.

I liked the music, the tone, the animation, the characters, most of the story, so yeah, it's easily an 8-9/10 for me. I will probably buy the ligh novels once I clear my book backlog.

Do I recommend it to everyone? Hell no, it's definitely not something everyone would enjoy. Do I recommend it to people who like slower-paced, heartbreaking, sad but at the same time happy stories, and can handle some bloody scenes? Hell yes, in fact, go and watch it, like, right now. You will not regret it.

3 hours ago, coldhand25 said:

I loved it actually... Well, maybe not everything, but like 80% of it. The other 20% was things that didn't particularly caught my interest, but damn that anime gave me dem feelz 😄 I haven't watched the special episode, but I might watch it once the movie drops.

I liked the music, the tone, the animation, the characters, most of the story, so yeah, it's easily an 8-9/10 for me. I will probably buy the light novels once I clear my book backlog.

Do I recommend it to everyone? Hell no, it's definitely not something everyone would enjoy. Do I recommend it to people who like slower-paced, heartbreaking, sad but at the same time happy stories, and can handle some bloody scenes? Hell yes, in fact, go and watch it, like, right now. You will not regret it.

This is basically how I think of the show too; funny enough.

You're definitely right about the feelz; few pieces of media have ever made me cry, and this show managed to make me cry during every episode from episode 3 onward. 

The special episode is good. It's basically a normal episode that's the length of two episodes. I can't figure out where it would actually fit with the other episodes, but perhaps that's just another reason why it's listed on its own as a special episode. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think the first anime I ever saw was Dragonball Z in the mid 90's when I was a wee toddler. I think the second anime I saw was Pokémon, and I think that is the first anime I like. I think Digimon is third, and I like that too.

• 3 weeks later...

My first was Death Note, I was thinking this one would show up a lot on the thread but I thought wrong.
I did watch pokemon, Yugioh, Naruto, etc. as a kid but not any more then the other shows. Death Note was when I was watching these type of shows more seriously.

Edited by Shrow

When I was very young, there was quite a bit of anime on Colombian TV. I remember shows like that anime about soccer which my brothers enjoyed, Sailor Moon, Knights of the Zodiac, and Dragon Ball Z. I remember really enjoying both Knights of the Zodiac and Dragon Ball Z a lot. DBZ in fact was quite often talked about in the house as all of my siblings have been fans of it. Later on, I also remember watching Yu Yu Hakusho and Slayers, both of which I ended up forgetting what their names were. Only found out what they were and watched them after joining this forum and asking about them. I also watched Yugioh, Pokemon, Digimon and Zoids back when I was in Colombia. It was only after I arrived in the states that I kinda lost the frequent anime watching aside from Yugioh and Pokemon.

Granted at the time (2004) I did not know what anime was. It wasn't until sometime later, that I started watching Naruto through cartoon network. Eventually, with the help of the internet (a new thing for my family circa 2006), I learned what anime was, that it was made in Japan and that there were mangas associated with them.

Naruto was probably the starting point of me consuming anime with the knowledge that it was anime. But I have been watching anime from a very early age.

Edited by Zanarkin

My foray into anime was definitely a long journey that started way back when I was six with the original pokemon anime. Not too long after I also got into Yu-Gi-Oh through the movie I got as a birthday gift or something I don’t quite remember. Those two shows were relatively small potatoes though compared to what I got into next. I was really big on Cartoon Network as a kid so as you can imagine I saw a lot of their toonami block where in I discovered my favorite anime of all time even to this day that being Naruto. I would watch this show like religiously as a kid. I would stay up late to catch new episodes, watch reruns, collect dvds and merchandise, the works really. Toonami was a huge part of my childhood back in the day. It’s thanks to that I also watched shows like Zatch bell or bobobobo.

It’s also because I liked Naruto so much that I started to get into illegal streaming sites so I could catch up on the latest episodes. This in turn lead to watch the rest of the big 3, Digimon, Soul Eater(which was introduced to me by my sister who also got me into Toradora and Rosario+Vampire), Dragon drive, Sao, K-On, the meloncholy of haruhi suzumiya, everything really. I was a true weeb through and through and there was no going back. I don’t watch as much anime nowadays because busy but I still try to take time to watch a few shows here or there. I’m more into reading manga nowadays though it’s just a lot easier and faster to consume.

Edited by Ottservia

My first real exposure to anime (and manga) was through Fullmetal Alchemist back in 8th grade. I think I had somehow found some of the episodes of Brotherhood and 2003 on YouTube back when those were still up. A friend of mine had also shown me some really cool anime, too, namely Kill La Kill (which I haven't finished), Death Parade, and Kakegurui.

Of course, Pokemon was also a show that I had known about, but I never actively watched it nor kept up with it, so I wouldn't really count that as the first exposure that really hooked me into the medium.

• 1 month later...