Come up with a potentially controversial gameplay mechanic

Perkilator

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, listen up, what if instead of leveling to lvl 20, using a promotion item, going back to 1, and then again to 20, we use the 3H system of just leveling 1 to 40/50/whatever?

And then instead of using items to promote, every character in the game has a (one or more) story-based promotion.

This promotion will not give them flat-out stats, but will up them to minimum stats and level for that class. (and maybe weapon-types/growths as per usual)

This way, getting bad level ups won't lock a character out of the game. Losing some of your units won't lock you out of the game, because you can always start using a character you recruited eons ago but never used, because they just had a story-promotion.

30 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I know 🤪 Just imagine the reaction if it comes back.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the paralogues were actually related to the dead characters in question. Flanberto of House Eclaire died? Now you have to have sort out the  messy repercussions that it has on the clan. Or, poor sweet Tiramisuia soul cannot rest after passing, and lest you want her to haunt you for the rest of your life, you must do what must be done to appease her undying existence.

Take elevation from Radiant Dawn to a new extreme, by making multi-story maps. Use staircases or ladders to move from one level to the next. Two units can share the same (x, y) space, so long as they're on different (z) levels. A button (say, ZL) can be used to switch between levels. Enemies can fire bows or drop bombs through holes from the floor above. You have little recourse, although I've heard some magic spells work against foes with the higher ground...

21 hours ago, lenticular said:

Collect clothes and accessories, play dress-up with your units, and receive bonuses based on the coordination of your outfit.

19 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

How about maps with hexagonal tiles

19 hours ago, OuendanCyrus said:
  • All items in a character's inventory adds to their equip load, and if it exceeds their CON, their Movement decreases (among other stats).
17 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Ballistae have map-wide range.

10 hours ago, X-Naut said:

Using Shove, Lunge etc. to move a grounded unit over a lava/deep chasm tile instantly kills them. Flying enemies will exploit that on these kinds of maps.

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Take elevation from Radiant Dawn to a new extreme, by making multi-story maps. Use staircases or ladders to move from one level to the next. Two units can share the same (x, y) space, so long as they're on different (z) levels. A button (say, ZL) can be used to switch between levels. Enemies can fire bows or drop bombs through holes from the floor above. You have little recourse, although I've heard some magic spells work against foes with the higher ground...

See, I actually like these ideas. They at least seem like ideas that would be implemented with earnest reasons.

14 hours ago, Yexin said:

how about misandric/misogynist characters receiving buffs when fighing against an enemy of the gender they hate, and receiving debuffs when an ally of said gender is close to them?

Personal skill: Based

Characters can randomly contract STDs and spread them to their S-support partner. Including the avatar.

Children return, but instead of gaining a unit, you lose access to the mother unit for 9 months of in-game time.

Enemies have movement stars.

6 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

This is something I have legitimately wanted to see Fire Emblem try for a long time now. I imagine it would work best in a game mostly  based in urban landscapes. It'd also help make fliers feel more like, well things that can fly.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Enemies have movement stars.

This is something that does kind of exist in Thracia with playable units that start off as enemies. And by god is it terrifying when one of your units with movement stars get berserked and starts coming after you.

6 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

That actually sounds really cool, and it would be fantastic for chapters involving storming a palace and stuff like that. 

Thinking on elevation, you could go in an entirely different direction with separate dimensional planes units can shift between. Obstacles and terrain could change between planes, so one plane where the geography is open could be contrasted with a plane where the terrain in the exact same spots is swampy or narrowing. Units could see units on the other planes, but with limited interaction at best.

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

That actually sounds really cool, and it would be fantastic for chapters involving storming a palace and stuff like that. 

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

This is something I have legitimately wanted to see Fire Emblem try for a long time now. I imagine it would work best in a game mostly  based in urban landscapes. It'd also help make fliers feel more like, well things that can fly.

4 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

See, I actually like these ideas. They at least seem like ideas that would be implemented with earnest reasons.

Appreciate the positive feedback! I wouldn't want every chapter set up this way, but I do think it could work for a handful of indoor chapters. Re: fliers, I'm kind of conflicted about whether mounts in general should be allowed inside. Maybe fliers would have the option of starting on a higher floor, but dismounted? Say, they jumped in through an open 2rd-story window, haha. And you could do stuff like making the basement a treasure vault (but with fog-of-war, because they haven't invented the electrical bill yet). Or set the throne room on the top story, and each staircase going up could be well-guarded. Maybe you could bring a ladder, too, to change the map and establish a new connection between levels. The possibilities are - well, not endless, but reasonably vast.

28 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thinking on elevation, you could go in an entirely different direction with separate dimensional planes units can shift between. Obstacles and terrain could change between planes, so one plane where the geography is open could be contrasted with a plane where the terrain in the exact same spots is swampy or narrowing. Units could see units on the other planes, but with limited interaction at best.

I've actually considered something like this, as a rework to permadeath. Basically, one of the main Lords die, and they find themselves in an underworld. Any character who dies in the overworld gets sent to the underworld. In underworld, you do the same maps as overworld, simultaneously - but you try to help your still-living allies. Say, by pressing a switch (in underworld) that opens a door (in overworld), or killing one enemy that "debuffs" their parallel. And in the overworld, they can bring some units back through revival fountains.

Not sure how well this would match the established tone of the series, though. It's sounding more and more like Disgaea, haha.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Appreciate the positive feedback! I wouldn't want every chapter set up this way, but I do think it could work for a handful of indoor chapters. Re: fliers, I'm kind of conflicted about whether mounts in general should be allowed inside. Maybe fliers would have the option of starting on a higher floor, but dismounted? Say, they jumped in through an open 2rd-story window, haha. And you could do stuff like making the basement a treasure vault (but with fog-of-war, because they haven't invented the electrical bill yet). Or set the throne room on the top story, and each staircase going up could be well-guarded. Maybe you could bring a ladder, too, to change the map and establish a new connection between levels. The possibilities are - well, not endless, but reasonably vast.

I've actually considered something like this, as a rework to permadeath. Basically, one of the main Lords die, and they find themselves in an underworld. Any character who dies in the overworld gets sent to the underworld. In underworld, you do the same maps as overworld, simultaneously - but you try to help your still-living allies. Say, by pressing a switch (in underworld) that opens a door (in overworld), or killing one enemy that "debuffs" their parallel. And in the overworld, they can bring some units back through revival fountains.

Not sure how well this would match the established tone of the series, though. It's sounding more and more like Disgaea, haha.

Nah man, a tiered city with bridges and balconies and shit everywhere. Final Fantasy Tactics managed to have a decent Y axis without it being all that contrived.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

You shouldn't let mounts go up stairs. Fliers should instead fly around the outside and take shots at the bad guys through the windows. Dismounting into a higher floor and using ladders sounds cool, though you might want to balance it so you don't just skip floors.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Make it traveling between periods of time. Drop rocks in the past and they'll be there in the future. The map evolves semi-coherently between eras.

On 8/24/2020 at 9:50 PM, This boi uses Nino said:

I have a simple one, if you play casual mode the game will stop you midway through the game Contra 4 style and tell you "Sorry, for the real experience, play Classic"

Brilliant! 😂
And I agree with you 100 %.

In contrast to casual mode, there's an additional mode called, "True War" that takes permadeath to the extreme: not only are characters permanently gone if they are killed, but any game over results in the save file being automatically deleted, forcing you to start from the very beginning. Don't think you can soft-reset or use a second save file to override this, as the game keeps track of all that. 

cursed emblem

weapon triangle is reversed, swords beat lances, axes beat swords, lances beat axes.

hit rate is always 100 making skill the useless stat and is replaced with a crit skill, literally just called crit. flat percentage.

luck is called pluck, no added bonuses except that you just get gold or the guy's weapon after killing them, set chance to drop or w/e

mounted units got the stupid crippled horses and can only move 5 spaces, also no canto, (can't move after using an item, or taking an action.) also no aid since they're weak af so no more resucing. literally castrating every mounted user ever, promoting into a paladin, great knight, mage knight, w/e you kids call nowadays. the armor weighs them down and makes them drop 1 move.

every crit has 5 percent chance of killing yourself because your main character is insecure about killing a guy so he fricks up and stabs himself instead.

vulneraries were poisoned, still heal 10 but they make your character stunned 

elixirs are just snake oil and they heal 1 total hp, with a small chance for it to actually restore all of your hp because maybe it wasn't snake oil after all

need more ideas boys, could make this into some comedy gold here. 

14 minutes ago, LightingChaos said:

cursed emblem

weapon triangle is reversed, swords beat lances, axes beat swords, lances beat axes.

hit rate is always 100 making skill the useless stat and is replaced with a crit skill, literally just called crit. flat percentage.

luck is called pluck, no added bonuses except that you just get gold or the guy's weapon after killing them, set chance to drop or w/e

mounted units got the stupid crippled horses and can only move 5 spaces, also no canto, (can't move after using an item, or taking an action.) also no aid since they're weak af so no more resucing. literally castrating every mounted user ever, promoting into a paladin, great knight, mage knight, w/e you kids call nowadays. the armor weighs them down and makes them drop 1 move.

every crit has 5 percent chance of killing yourself because your main character is insecure about killing a guy so he fricks up and stabs himself instead.

vulneraries were poisoned, still heal 10 but they make your character stunned 

elixirs are just snake oil and they heal 1 total hp, with a small chance for it to actually restore all of your hp because maybe it wasn't snake oil after all

need more ideas boys, could make this into some comedy gold here. 

Weapon triangle is largely pointless if hit is always 100.

The avatar now can have a harem. Children units return and if they remarry they will still unlock the children paralogues.

Like in Persona the partners will fight each other because of jelousy system, so if you give more attention or gifts to just one of them things will get messy. If the marriage is too unhappy that a character is constantly angry, they will ask divorce and leave the army.  You can also go the the sauna with all your husbandos and waifus. Actually the sauna is exclusive only to members of your harem. 

Add the thing from Jagged Alliance where the old units will occasionally forget what they were doing when you're trying to order them, essentially wasting a turn with them. (So Marcus stops his charge half-way in FE6 to go "Wait what was I doing again?" then the guy you were going to have him kill just goes on an stabs Roy.)

Characters will go up in supports and S-rank without player input, have fun having not-sain steal your waifu.

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

Add the thing from Jagged Alliance where the old units will occasionally forget what they were doing when you're trying to order them, essentially wasting a turn with them. (So Marcus stops his charge half-way in FE6 to go "Wait what was I doing again?" then the guy you were going to have him kill just goes on an stabs Roy.)

Characters will go up in supports and S-rank without player input, have fun having not-sain steal your waifu.

We;ve already had that in Genealogy of the Holy War. *shudder* I've never once gotten Valkyrie in the second generation due to Claud being such a slut.

Certain chapters happen during thunderstorms, and the gameplay effect that this has is that all flying units have their movement reduced to 1 unless they dismount. Also, lightning will randomly strike certain tiles at the end of the turn, with these tiles being lit up during the turn as an indicator that the lightning will strike that tile. 

4 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Do you really want to go back to the pre-Awakening times of low sales and series cancellation?

Yes. It is better for a series to end on a high note. Why should we assume more games is better?

I don't think permadeath is the problem but I would have been fine with New Mystery being the last Fire Emblem game.

16 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Certain chapters happen during thunderstorms, and the gameplay effect that this has is that all flying units have their movement reduced to 1 unless they dismount. Also, lightning will randomly strike certain tiles at the end of the turn, with these tiles being lit up during the turn as an indicator that the lightning will strike that tile. 

I like this idea.

10 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I don't think permadeath is the problem but I would have been fine with New Mystery being the last Fire Emblem game.

As much as I resent the direction FE's been going in lately, I don't see how you or anyone else could possibly stand to benefit from the series ending before Awakening.

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

As much as I resent the direction FE's been going in lately, I don't see how you or anyone else could possibly stand to benefit from the series ending before Awakening.

What do we have to lose? What do we gain from its continuing? To see a thing we like defiled?

Just now, AnonymousSpeed said:

What do we have to lose? What do we gain from its continuing? To see a thing we like defiled?

If the three options are "keep going the way you enjoyed it", "stop entirely", and "keep going as something you don't enjoy anymore", I don't understand how the difference for you between 2 and 3 could possibly be profound enough to justify the loss that other people experience if they liked the outcome of 3. If you actually are telling me that you would wipe out Awakening, Fates, Echoes and Three Houses from history if given a time machine and a plan, simply so that the series can in your opinion die with some dignity, I just can't agree with that, and I couldn't agree with that even if Conquest wasn't my favorite Fire Emblem game of all time.