Jump to content
Fabulously Olivier

Would you prefer a canon or non-canon FE Warriors follow-up?

Canon or non-canon?  

26 members have voted

  1. 1. Which would you prefer?

    • Non-canon Crossover
      11
    • Canon 3H story
      5
    • Canon story for other FE universe
      2
    • Hybrid (canon story with non-canon History Mode)
      7
    • Alternate Universe/What-if Scenario
      1


Recommended Posts

If they were to make another FE Warriors, how would you prefer they handle it?

 

 

Personally, I'd want a hybrid approach, placing the Story Mode within the 5-year time gap in Three Houses, with a route for each house. Then you could have a non-canon History Mode to play as all the FEW1 characters, story mode characters, Byleth, Rhea, and classic additions like Ike, Roy, Hector, and Ephraim. Potentially, they could also add a small story DLC for the ancient war between Nemesis and Seiros.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal preference would be for another fun grand intraseries crossover, not a canon side story to a mainline game, since FEW1, to tenderize some equine steak, wasn't great at representation. FEW is unlike HW, where most games got great representation, and thus HW didn't need another instraseries crossover right away (and if it did, the Champions would've been priority no. 1, and coincidentally AoC is providing that).

I wouldn't mix the two concepts together, it'd feel like a disservice to one or the other. If they want to a 3H midquel, then save Elibe-Tellius or whoever it is that one desires for another game, make the palette hunger for longer.

Besides the grand crossover and 3H, I think Genealogy as a Musou noooooo traditional FE remake would work. Genealogy has the proper scope and the brokenly overpowered Holy Weapons which align with the essential Musou catharsis. If Musou existed back then, I would've told Kaga to ditch FE gameplay altogether and just make it a Musou-knockoff. Giant maps don't work for turn-based, but for realtime strategy they can.

-I'm not opposed to a normal FE4 remake, but thematically a Musou perfect, and the empty turns of merely moving characters weren't. (Although there are other ways to correct the big map issue: the Rescue command, a "Sprint" command wherein a character can move 1.5 or 2.0 times their usual movement in exchange for being unable to perform any action once they've reached their destination and probably disabling counterattacking for 1 turn to prevent enemy-phase annihilation, or you radically scrap the big maps and shrink Genealogy altogether.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main preference for a Fire Emblem Warriors is a Warriors Orochi style crossover with all the cast being fused together. This would almost naturally lean more towards the non canon side of things. This being done successfully hinges on an acceptable amount of the franchise being represented. 

If they focus on something canon then I would like it to take place during the timeskip of Three Houses. They skipped over five years of war after all. One drawback is that its possible that not much fighting happened. In most routes the Kingdom collapses through political subterfuge rather than warfare. There is definitely a conflict between Cornelia and the eastern Kingdom houses but you can't really make a whole game out of that. And in Crimson flower you're locked into a story where the status quo cannot change before Byleth arrives since the borders haven't been moved by even a single inch for the entire timeskip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as I get to play as all of my favorites from the FEW1 I don't really care what they do in a hypothetical FEW2. I would prefer for them to keep adding characters from multiple games across the franchise than just focusing on one game because I play Warriors game for the gameplay more than the story. Honestly I would be fine with FEW2 being based in Heroes universe since Askr actually have a reason for characters from across the franchise appearing compared to Aytolis (which I don't even think gave an excuse for where everyone was showing up from).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'd like FEW2 to be a spiritual squel to FEW1, meaning that i'd like the concept (random kingdom is assaulted, popular FE characters arrive to save the day) to stay the same, but with a new location, new OCs and old new FE games represented

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NSSKG151 said:

As long as I get to play as all of my favorites from the FEW1 I don't really care what they do in a hypothetical FEW2. I would prefer for them to keep adding characters from multiple games across the franchise than just focusing on one game because I play Warriors game for the gameplay more than the story. Honestly I would be fine with FEW2 being based in Heroes universe since Askr actually have a reason for characters from across the franchise appearing compared to Aytolis (which I don't even think gave an excuse for where everyone was showing up from).

Askr would not be a bad setting for a FEW2. Indeed, Alfonse, Commander Anna, and especially Sharena would be inoffensive additions to FEW. 

 

However, I would hope that they stick to Book 1 with such a thing. Keep it simple. Askr vs. Embla traveling to canon FE maps, enlisting the heroes, and duking it out. None of the Norse mythology fanfiction that has shaped books 2-4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather just have a non-canon follow up instead of a canon 3H Warriors game like Age of Calamity. I want my favorites from Elibe, Tellius, and Valentia goddammit, and while I would be welcoming of 3H characters in a FEW game, I wouldn't want it to be JUST 3H characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally I'd like it to be a direct sequel to FEW1, with more characters outside of FE1/13/14 fighting alongside an older Rowan and Lianna against a brand new villain. Maybe one who wants to use the Outrealm and take over everything? I feel like that would fit in a fanservice Warriors game. It also gives them an excuse to use maps from across the whole series.

31 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

However, I would hope that they stick to Book 1 with such a thing. Keep it simple. Askr vs. Embla traveling to canon FE maps, enlisting the heroes, and duking it out. None of the Norse mythology fanfiction that has shaped books 2-4.

I like this idea, but given how Heroes seems to very strongly imply that Bruno and Veronica will overcome their blood curse and join with Askr, I think it's a lot more likely we'd get an all new villain or fight Loki/Thorr/Alfador and their armies.

Or maybe when Heroes inevitably ends, it'll get adapted for the newest Nintendo console as a Warriors game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, trainer_derp said:

Ideally I'd like it to be a direct sequel to FEW1, with more characters outside of FE1/13/14 fighting alongside an older Rowan and Lianna against a brand new villain. Maybe one who wants to use the Outrealm and take over everything? I feel like that would fit in a fanservice Warriors game. It also gives them an excuse to use maps from across the whole series.

I like this idea, but given how Heroes seems to very strongly imply that Bruno and Veronica will overcome their blood curse and join with Askr, I think it's a lot more likely we'd get an all new villain or fight Loki/Thorr/Alfador and their armies.

Or maybe when Heroes inevitably ends, it'll get adapted for the newest Nintendo console as a Warriors game. 

I don't even think we necessarily need a resolution to their blood curse in said Warriors spinoff. It doesn't need to be conclusive to serve its purpose. Like, perhaps the ending of the story can just be Alfonse and Sharena discovering the identity of Bruno. And then there can be a bittersweet downer ending.

 

The important thing is that we get to play as all these awesome characters and selectively visit awesome stages with awesome music. That's all anyone really wanted for FEW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ciphertul said:

I would rather it not be Canon, as you have a lot more freedom without those chains.

I agree. But it would also be nice if we could enjoy canon maps. Hyrule Warriors fans weren't limited by a canon story, but they still got to enjoy their Twilight palace and their Skyloft. That game is so good at being authentic without needing to be canon.

 

To my knowledge, FE Warriors was the only Warriors spinoff that did not give its fans the settings they love. And that pisses me off. It's like Koei Tecmo didn't care about us at all. Zelda, One Piece, Dragon Quest, and even Arslan got the full treatment. They only wanted to give us the barest of minimums for the roster, put in the bare minimum on maps because any generic ol' fantasy setting will do, and not even give us their trademark Musuo metal covers of our iconic soundtracks. FE Warriors didn't deserve a better fanbase - the fanbase deserved a better game. 

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

And in Crimson flower you're locked into a story where the status quo cannot change before Byleth arrives since the borders haven't been moved by even a single inch for the entire timeskip. 

You could bend this into a net-stagnation. The borders moved, but like a rubber band they snapped back into place. Would it defy the impression given by the originator-game? Yes. Buts that unplanned sequels/prequels/midquels for ya. As long as they don't do something too outrageous like adding invading octopus aliens whom Dimitri and Edelgard must team up to defeat and who are to blame for the ultimate return to the borders status quo, I think it's fine.

 

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I agree. But it would also be nice if we could enjoy canon maps. Hyrule Warriors fans weren't limited by a canon story, but they still got to enjoy their Twilight palace and their Skyloft. That game is so good at being authentic without needing to be canon.

Does FE have many fantastic locales though? How many exotic places does FE have? Zelda has FE beat in this category. I mean sure, Hoshido is Japanese, Ice Dragon Temple/Silesse/Ilia/Daein/Ice Tribe Land could bring snow, there's no shortage of deserts, a couple forests, some lava caves, and Sacae's plains. Perhaps FE is getting better at wondrous places, but I don't really remember FE for its scenery, it stays towards the realistic side and practical for map appearances. 

I'm not saying native FE locations shouldn't be featured, but it wouldn't be so wow as some of Zelda's places are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You could bend this into a net-stagnation. The borders moved, but like a rubber band they snapped back into place. Would it defy the impression given by the originator-game? Yes. Buts that unplanned sequels/prequels/midquels for ya. As long as they don't do something too outrageous like adding invading octopus aliens whom Dimitri and Edelgard must team up to defeat and who are to blame for the ultimate return to the borders status quo, I think it's fine.

 

Does FE have many fantastic locales though? How many exotic places does FE have? Zelda has FE beat in this category. I mean sure, Hoshido is Japanese, Ice Dragon Temple/Silesse/Ilia/Daein/Ice Tribe Land could bring snow, there's no shortage of deserts, a couple forests, some lava caves, and Sacae's plains. Perhaps FE is getting better at wondrous places, but I don't really remember FE for its scenery, it stays towards the realistic side and practical for map appearances. 

I'm not saying native FE locations shouldn't be featured, but it wouldn't be so wow as some of Zelda's places are.

Well, I get where you're coming from. But there's still a lot to work with.

 

Serenes Forest is so important to the fandom that it is literally our forum name.

 

Port Toha is a memorable chapter for the sudden frightening Black Knight appearance.

 

Talrega Floodgates would have been a good opportunity to recreate Lu Bu's last battle against Cao Cao in FE form.

 

Fort Dragonfall is a castle made of dragon bones!

 

The Opera House would have made a phenomenal stage.

 

The Wind Tribe village could have some fun gimmicks. As could the Ice Tribe village and Sevenfold Sanctuary.

 

There's quite a bit more to work with than we give our franchise credit for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather a lore-based prequel focusing on the Seiros vs Nemesis war. I feel like that would be perfect for Warriors style gameplay. Honestly, I have little interest in what happens in-between the 5 year timeskip in TH. Heck, some characters don't even do anything in some routes. For example in SS/AM/VW, Linhardt and Bernadetta do nothing but stay at home for most of it.

Actually, I had this little idea for a while, but it might be too big. Basically my thought was to put Fodlan's big past wars into one game. Have one route focused on Seiros vs. Nemesis, another route focused on the Battle of the Eagle and Lion (with Loog), and then another route on Battle of the Crescent Moon. Basically the 3 main ways that shaped Fodlan into what is at the start of the game.

I think it would be cool, and even mirror Three Houses' style of multiple paths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Personally, I'd want a hybrid approach, placing the Story Mode within the 5-year time gap in Three Houses, with a route for each house. Then you could have a non-canon History Mode to play as all the FEW1 characters, story mode characters, Byleth, Rhea, and classic additions like Ike, Roy, Hector, and Ephraim. Potentially, they could also add a small story DLC for the ancient war between Nemesis and Seiros.

This basically. Have the main story mode remain canon with 3H's story and characters, but have History Mode go back to the other FE games and pull from each of FE's other worlds and stories. Although I would like to see fewer Fates and Awakening reps in the next game, and add about the same amount of reps from the other games in their place, so each FE world gets equal representation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

This basically. Have the main story mode remain canon with 3H's story and characters, but have History Mode go back to the other FE games and pull from each of FE's other worlds and stories. Although I would like to see fewer Fates and Awakening reps in the next game, and add about the same amount of reps from the other games in their place, so each FE world gets equal representation.

It's very rare for Warriors games to cut content. And, unless they decide to build it off of the Three Houses build of the Warriors engine, there is no potential reason to cut characters. And even then, if Three Houses was developed after the creation of Warriors character assets, they would be pre-built into the game.

 

Equal representation isn't something we should be aiming for. Fair representation, sure. But only insofar as it means adding characters, rather than cutting them.

 

(But #cutElise).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It's very rare for Warriors games to cut content. And, unless they decide to build it off of the Three Houses build of the Warriors engine, there is no potential reason to cut characters. And even then, if Three Houses was developed after the creation of Warriors character assets, they would be pre-built into the game.

 

Equal representation isn't something we should be aiming for. Fair representation, sure. But only insofar as it means adding characters, rather than cutting them.

 

(But #cutElise).

Honestly the only characters I can actually see being cut are the Dark Mage loser trio of Gharnef, Validar, and Iago, cuz really, who the hell would miss these losers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Honestly the only characters I can actually see being cut are the Dark Mage loser trio of Gharnef, Validar, and Iago, cuz really, who the hell would miss these losers?

Probably, yeah. They weren't even playable. Just Robin copy pasted on an enemy model.

 

I could also see the OCs being cut, as there is precedent for that in spinoff sequels (see DQ Heroes). Funny thing is, you could actually do so without losing their moveset, as it's a realllly good fit for Leif's Light Brand (and possibly Roy's Binding Blade).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Probably, yeah. They weren't even playable. Just Robin copy pasted on an enemy model.

 

I could also see the OCs being cut, as there is precedent for that in spinoff sequels (see DQ Heroes). Funny thing is, you could actually do so without losing their moveset, as it's a realllly good fit for Leif's Light Brand (and possibly Roy's Binding Blade).

Exactly. The chances of the Dark Mage loser trio being playable in a sequel, let alone even coming back in a sequel, is extremely unlikely, especially if we get games like Elibe, Tellius, Valentia, and 3H in a sequel, cuz those games offer a much better and more varied selection of villains like Black Knight, Ashnard, Zephiel, Nergal, Berkut, Death Knight, and so on, so at that point, why waste time making the Dark Mage loser trio playable when there's little demand for them to be playable when you can just devote that time to making more popular villains playable?

As for the OCs, I could see something like Darios being the main character as he tries to find his way back to Aytolis after falling in the dark portal and landing up somewhere in another world, so we'd still have the moves of the lemon twins.

Edited by Gregster101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Exactly. The chances of the Dark Mage loser trio being playable in a sequel, let alone even coming back in a sequel, is extremely unlikely, especially if we get games like Elibe, Tellius, Valentia, and 3H in a sequel, cuz those games offer a much better and more varied selection of villains like Black Knight, Ashnard, Zephiel, Nergal, Berkut, Death Knight, and so on, so at that point, why waste time making the Dark Mage loser trio playable when there's little demand for them to be playable when you can just devote that time to making more popular villains playable?

As for the OCs, I could see something like Darios being the main character as he tries to find his way back to Aytolis after falling in the dark portal and landing up somewhere in another world, so we'd still have the moves of the lemon twins.

It's not like SD doesn't have better villains than Gharnef. Camus, Hardin, and Medeus say hi. They just actively chose to go with the worst one. But it also was an understandable choice given that Gharnef is really the villain who moves the plot of SD the most.

 

 

The Darios question is really dependent on whether they go the canon route or the non-canon route. They won't be throwing him into the story mode if they're making a 3H Warriors; they could add him to History Mode, however. He's much more likely to appear in a non-canon crossover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It's not like SD doesn't have better villains than Gharnef. Camus, Hardin, and Medeus say hi. They just actively chose to go with the worst one. But it also was an understandable choice given that Gharnef is really the villain who moves the plot of SD the most.

 

 

The Darios question is really dependent on whether they go the canon route or the non-canon route. They won't be throwing him into the story mode if they're making a 3H Warriors; they could add him to History Mode, however. He's much more likely to appear in a non-canon crossover.

Ok I guess Gharnef could stay since he is more or less the original main villain besides Medeus (even if he is boring and archaic as sin). But I would drop Validar and Iago in a heartbeat. Choosing games with only bad villains always spelled doom, but the fact that they went out of their way to only pick the worst villains from those games really doesn't help.

I've mentioned before that I"d prefer a non-canon sequel over a canon sequel, so by default I'm going with my idea as Darios as the lead.

Edited by Gregster101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Ok I guess Gharnef could stay since he is more or less the original main villain besides Medeus (even if he is boring and archaic as sin). But I would drop Validar and Iago in a heartbeat. Choosing games with only bad villains always spelled doom, but the fact that they went out of their way to only pick the worst villains from those games really doesn't help.

I've mentioned before that I"d prefer a non-canon sequel over a canon sequel, so by default I'm going with my idea as Darios as the lead.

Regardless of Darios making it in or not, I'm not gonna lie... I'd love it if Leif shared that moveset. Because it's a damn good moveset that would look damn good on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like it to be a story that could be considered canon but doesn't have to be, so I guess ultimately the first or fifth option. There are too many popular characters across the series that people still want to see and sticking hard to canon adds too many constraints.

14 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

and not even give us their trademark Musuo metal covers of our iconic soundtracks

I don't know if you'd call them "metal," but FE Warriors' remixes were definitely in the same style as Hyrule Warriors'. I understand the roster and map complaints (even if I don't fully agree with them) but this one seems like going too far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Florete said:

I'd like it to be a story that could be considered canon but doesn't have to be, so I guess ultimately the first or fifth option. There are too many popular characters across the series that people still want to see and sticking hard to canon adds too many constraints.

I don't know if you'd call them "metal," but FE Warriors' remixes were definitely in the same style as Hyrule Warriors'. I understand the roster and map complaints (even if I don't fully agree with them) but this one seems like going too far.

Maybe. I think that what we got soundtrack wise was acceptable. Some of it even catchy. But I wouldn't call it recognizable or quintessentially Fire Emblem.

 

I wasn't being entirely fair on that, because I wouldn't have scrapped any of the music they did make. It's just that there's also a lot more they could do. An operatic metal rendition of the FE theme. Together We Ride. Crimean March. Don't Speak Her Name. Id Purpose. Maybe some of these did make it in, but I don't recall them.

 

Now we also have SoV and 3H soundtracks arguably setting new quality benchmarks. So I do have high hopes for a really high quality soundtrack for a Warriors follow up.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say prolly a crossover thing would be better, but I think instead of how FEW handled its casts (each game's cast joined at around the same timeframe, first the Awakening chars, then the Fates chars, then the Shadow Dragon chars), instead I think an interesting way to handle a story mode's team is to have various characters from different games fill various archetypes in a typical FE team (such as the Jagen, Merric, Gordin, Draug, etc.).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...