Roughly how far away it was?

James Marshall

Back in the mid 90's when I was at a boarding school I used to walk to the local village and back again at least twice a week and I remember the average time it took me to get their and the  average speed that I walked at but not how far away it. So what I want someone to do is to work out roughly how far was the village from the school

On average the walk to the village took me roughly 33 minutes, 40 seconds  at the time I was exceptionally fit and was both a very fast walker and a very runner and the average speed that I walked at was roughly 3.02 miles per hour. So roughly how far was the village from the school

Edited by James Marshall

Damn a math problem after all these months?

So 60 minutes in an hour, and 60 seconds in a minute.

33 minutes and 40 seconds = 33.67 minutes

33.67 minutes = 0.561167 hours

The distance was 3.02 mph / 0.561167 hours = 5.38 miles

5 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

The distance was 3.02 mph / 0.561167 hours = 5.38 miles

Wait, but if it took him just over half an hour at 3.02 Miles per hour, wouldn't it be about 1.5 miles? By my (quite possibly faulty) math, I got 1.69 miles away. (33.67/60=56%,  .56 x 3.02=1.6912)

But I could just as well be wrong, math ain't my strong suit.

To solve this I would first convert 3.02 miles per hour to miles per minute by dividing 3.02 by 60, then multiply by the time it took him to get to the village after adding the seconds to the minutes after converting the seconds to a power of 10 in the denominator and that = ~1.69 miles. ( 33 + 40/60 * 3.02/60 = ~1.69)

But I don't know.

Edited by Fates-Blade

• 8 months later...

I'm confused too😀 Thank you very much for providing several solutions to this problem. This is very helpful to me because I was looking for an answer to these questions. Very often I find answers to various difficult problems and calculations on the site https://plainmath.net/post-secondary/advanced-math where you can get information on various questions related to mathematics. Specifically on this page, you can find questions and answers about advanced mathematics.

Edited by Noam Roberts