Game Awards hopes and predictions

Fabulously Olivier

12 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I know that BOTW did not invent the idea of using towers as a gameplay mechanic in an open-world game as you described, but you have to admit that BOTW towers are different from Ubisoft towers in terms of mechanics (for instance, to find things on the map, you have to look for them, whereas Ubisoft games automatically fill the map section with icons indicating things)

So there's slightly less to it? I don't see the important mechanical distinction in pointing out what's missing rather than what is added. Nobody looks at a Mega Man clone and says "Ah ha! They don't have a Boss rematch sequence at the end, so it's NOT a Mega Man clone". And It's not like you don't use your eyes in a Ubisoft game. Side missions are marked, but collectibles are not. The purpose of a Ubisoft Tower is for your character to get a lay of the land and discover points of interest without walking right up to them. The fact that it's added to your map automatically in a Ubisoft game isn't distinct from the player looking around and plotting map markers on the neon glowing shrines in the distance. It's just one less step for the player.

19 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I keep hearing from many different people about Sonic 06 being essentially the terrible Sonic game; the worst of the worst; the one that not even the biggest defenders of the more recent Sonic games would ever even try to defend. But I've never heard anyone say why that is; what it was about the game that made it so terrible. I don't know anything about the game other than its reputation, so I am curious.

It's the first one released on a high definition console and it was explicitly made to celebrate Sonic's 25th anniversary. Calling the game Sonic the Hedgehog implies this wasn't just another Sonic game, it was the future of Sonic. So there was plenty of hype surrounding it. What sticks with you the most is the outrageously bad performance. From the first hour the player is inundated with constant, lengthy loading screens. Not just between levels, but having to reload an entire level just to get an NPC to say one line of dialogue before you load back into the same level to continue gameplay. And the bugs range from cute to game breaking. 3D Sonic levels are long, so losing your progress because you fell out of bounds during a scripted sequence one too many times is frustrating. For me the biggest barrier to progress was the Knuckles/Rouge levels. Any time I attached to a wall I couldn't get off of it. Pressing the jump button just reattached me to the same spot of the wall and I was stuck. And since the platforming depended on the ability to wall climb I had to get creative and have enemies shoot me down from the wall onto a safe patch of land. Steering clear of walls until it was absolutely necessary to progress.

Also the cutscenes are just asking to be memed, like any previous Sonic game. So of course we would make fun of it. We've had a handful of comparably broken games come out since Sonic 06, but the difference there is that they eventually got patched into a playable state. Sega had the capability to patch Sonic 06's most glaring bugs, but they chose not to. Maybe patches were such a new concept that they didn't even think of it - like Nintendo in the Wii era. But Sega WERE tech savvy enough to develop and sell extra modes as paid DLC, so I doubt that's the answer. The common theory is that the game was in such a sorry state and sold so poorly that Sega didn't see a way to salvage it. They already made money on initial sales, and there probably wouldn't be much more down the line with such low reviews.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

So there's slightly less to it? I don't see the important mechanical distinction in pointing out what's missing rather than what is added. Nobody looks at a Mega Man clone and says "Ah ha! They don't have a Boss rematch sequence at the end, so it's NOT a Mega Man clone". And It's not like you don't use your eyes in a Ubisoft game. Side missions are marked, but collectibles are not. The purpose of a Ubisoft Tower is for your character to get a lay of the land and discover points of interest without walking right up to them. The fact that it's added to your map automatically in a Ubisoft game isn't distinct from the player looking around and plotting map markers on the neon glowing shrines in the distance. It's just one less step for the player.

Again, it was supposed to be just one example of how it differs, and it wasn't even my main point in that paragraph. Why are you so fixated on one tiny statement that I tried to clarify as to what I actually meant and then just ignoring the clarification?

8 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

It's the first one released on a high definition console and it was explicitly made to celebrate Sonic's 25th anniversary. Calling the game Sonic the Hedgehog implies this wasn't just another Sonic game, it was the future of Sonic. So there was plenty of hype surrounding it. What sticks with you the most is the outrageously bad performance. From the first hour the player is inundated with constant, lengthy loading screens. Not just between levels, but having to reload an entire level just to get an NPC to say one line of dialogue before you load back into the same level to continue gameplay. And the bugs range from cute to game breaking. 3D Sonic levels are long, so losing your progress because you fell out of bounds during a scripted sequence one too many times is frustrating. For me the biggest barrier to progress was the Knuckles/Rouge levels. Any time I attached to a wall I couldn't get off of it. Pressing the jump button just reattached me to the same spot of the wall and I was stuck. And since the platforming depended on the ability to wall climb I had to get creative and have enemies shoot me down from the wall onto a safe patch of land. Steering clear of walls until it was absolutely necessary to progress.

Also the cutscenes are just asking to be memed, like any previous Sonic game. So of course we would make fun of it. We've had a handful of comparably broken games come out since Sonic 06, but the difference there is that they eventually got patched into a playable state. Sega had the capability to patch Sonic 06's most glaring bugs, but they chose not to. Maybe patches were such a new concept that they didn't even think of it - like Nintendo in the Wii era. But Sega WERE tech savvy enough to develop and sell extra modes as paid DLC, so I doubt that's the answer. The common theory is that the game was in such a sorry state and sold so poorly that Sega didn't see a way to salvage it. They already made money on initial sales, and there probably wouldn't be much more down the line with such low reviews.

So it was a hyped up buggy mess with insane loading times? That certainly does sound terrible, but given the way everyone talked about it, I thought there would've been more to it than that, like broken gameplay in the main levels or something like that.

20 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Again, it was supposed to be just one example of how it differs, and it wasn't even my main point in that paragraph. Why are you so fixated on one tiny statement that I tried to clarify as to what I actually meant and then just ignoring the clarification?

What is your main point in that paragraph? That Sonic Frontiers, a game that hasn't come out yet, copies from BotW's template specifically? Go on then, let's hear your other examples. Sounds like quite the scoop.

So it was a hyped up buggy mess with insane loading times? That certainly does sound terrible, but given the way everyone talked about it, I thought there would've been more to it than that, like broken gameplay in the main levels or something like that.

You didn't read my post did you? Like the part about having to play the game incorrectly to finish a stage? I was relating what I remember giving me the most trouble all those years ago. If you're so curious go look up a glitch compilation or something.

1 hour ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

What is your main point in that paragraph? That Sonic Frontiers, a game that hasn't come out yet, copies from BotW's template specifically? Go on then, let's hear your other examples. Sounds like quite the scoop.

You didn't read my post did you? Like the part about having to play the game incorrectly to finish a stage? I was relating what I remember giving me the most trouble all those years ago. If you're so curious go look up a glitch compilation or something.

My main point in that one particular paragraph you only quoted part of earlier (the one where I tried to clarify something) was that I was just saying that the towers look almost exactly like BOTW towers but with rings (as in they visually look the same).

As for the original point of the first paragraph you had quoted above, my point was that, from what was shown in the trailer (as in I'm not jumping the gun and outright accusing the game of anything; just saying what it looks like right now; this all should've been obvious from how I phrased it), the Sonic Frontier game looks like it's using BOTW's template.

Beyond the towers that look like the ones in BOTW, the trailer literally does a panning shot of the horizon while Sonic stands on a cliff face in much the same way as the iconic shot from the BOTW trailers, not to mention all the areas shown being sweeping shots of wooded area, grasslands, ruins and robotic structure and such in a way that again echoes the BOTW trailers. 

Anyway, can someone who Zapp won't misinterpret and borderline-strawman come and help?

I read that part, but you said that was in the knuckles/rouge stages; are those main missions? I read a bit about the game just before you arrived, and what I saw listed Sonic, Shadow and Silver missions, not knuckles missions, so I figured that those were side missions or something (that's why I specified main missions).

Edited by vanguard333

28 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I read that part, but you said that was in the knuckles/rouge stages; are those main missions? I read a bit about the game just before you arrived, and what I saw listed Sonic, Shadow and Silver missions, not knuckles missions, so I figured that those were side missions or something (that's why I specified main missions).

There are about ten playable characters in that game, across three campaigns. I don't fault you for not knowing that after a Wikipedia glance, but how did you arrive at the theory I was talking about side content not integral to progress? How did you not think to ask about it until now? And even if I was talking about side content, what difference does it make? The game functionally soft locks unless the player can glitch their way out of a glitch.

19 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

There are about ten playable characters in that game, across three campaigns. I don't fault you for not knowing that after a Wikipedia glance, but how did you arrive at the theory I was talking about side content not integral to progress? How did you not think to ask about it until now? And even if I was talking about side content, what difference does it make? The game functionally soft locks unless the player can glitch their way out of a glitch.

You're right that I should've asked instead of assuming. I apologize.

Anyway, one thing I now realize that I should've clarified, when I said, "broken gameplay" earlier, I meant something fundamentally bad or problematic regardless of bugs or glitches.

Edited by vanguard333

24 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Anyway, one thing I now realize that I should've clarified, when I said, "broken gameplay" earlier, I meant something fundamentally bad or problematic regardless of bugs or glitches.

Incredible. And "not being able to play the game" does not fall under fundamentally problematic? Should I ask for that definition as well? 

You're right that I should've asked instead of assuming. I apologize.

Do you? the way you flat out disregarded what I had to say in favor of "somebody who is not Zapp" implies that I must be lying or misconstruing my lived experience. And for what? Is it so hard for you to believe that the game you heard was bad is bad? Am I attempting to sabotage the sales of this fifteen year old game? This is not the first time you accused me out of the blue of strawmanning or some kind of fallacy you'd hear about in a high school debate club. If you ask a question, and somebody answers, you can just believe them. There is something fundamentally wrong with how you interact with people on this site. And it is for this reason I have to block you. Respond however you like to this post, because I will not see it.

37 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Incredible. And "not being able to play the game" does not fall under fundamentally problematic? Should I ask for that definition as well? 

Uh, what? I said bad regardless of bugs or glitches; you said the knuckles thing was a glitch; that's what I was getting at. I didn't say that glitches aren't fundamentally bad. I don't know how I could've made that clearer.

37 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Do you? the way you flat out disregarded what I had to say in favor of "somebody who is not Zapp" implies that I must be lying or misconstruing my lived experience. And for what? Is it so hard for you to believe that the game you heard was bad is bad? Am I attempting to sabotage the sales of this fifteen year old game? This is not the first time you accused me out of the blue of strawmanning or some kind of fallacy you'd hear about in a high school debate club. If you ask a question, and somebody answers, you can just believe them. There is something fundamentally wrong with how you interact with people on this site. And it is for this reason I have to block you. Respond however you like to this post, because I will not see it.

Uh... what?

First, I asked if someone could help me explain what I was saying to you since there was clearly a problem of us misunderstanding each other. I wasn't disregarding you; I was asking for help with communication. I literally had the word "help" in the sentence, and I definitely did not say "someone who isn't Zapp" at any point; I said "someone who Zapp won't misunderstand".

Second, what? When did I ever express that I didn't believe you?! Never is the answer. There's a difference between asking further questions and not believing someone.

Third, I said that you were strawmanning because you were taking tiny bits of stuff I said, misinterpreting them, and blowing them way out of proportion.

Fourth, I've been interacting just fine with everyone else on this site. I don't want to say it isn't me, since I'm certain that I'm definitely not perfect in how I communicate with others (I have autism), but all this only ever seems to happen when discussing something with you.

To anyone seeing this: all I wanted to do was ask about Sonic '06 out of curiosity and make a small remark about the Sonic Frontiers trailer that was shown at the game awards; how did that become this? 

Edited by vanguard333

5 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I keep hearing from many different people about Sonic 06 being essentially the terrible Sonic game; the worst of the worst; the one that not even the biggest defenders of the more recent Sonic games would ever even try to defend. But I've never heard anyone say why that is; what it was about the game that made it so terrible. I don't know anything about the game other than its reputation, so I am curious.

Aside from the numerous glitches, the game is plagued by mediocre voice acting and a terrible plot that revolves around Princess Elise getting kidnapped a ridiculous number of times, Silver being an annoying hero antagonist who's mislead into believing Sonic is the "Iblis Trigger" and thus is trying to kill him, the fact Sonic is killed and must be revived by Elise kissing him, and the entire game being retconned out thanks to time travel shenanigans, making it the most pointless entry in the franchise ever. Oh, and there's the fact the humans, including Eggman, are designed to look photorealistic, which makes Elise kissing Sonic all the more cringy. Not helping matters is the fact the game was Christmas rushed, contributing to a lot of its issues.

Furthermore, Sonic 06 serves as the headline of what many consider to be the lowest point of Sonic's career, following the already critically-panned Shadow the Hedgehog and managing to be much worse, and being followed by Sonic Rush Adventure and the Sonic Rivals duo, which have some of the most acrid storytelling in the entire franchise. Sonic 06 is considered by many to be the epitome of everything wrong with the Sonic series as a whole, to the point Sonic Boom: The Rise of Lyric was compared to it due to similar flaws.

At least the music is good, though.

Edited by Lord_Brand

7 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

And it is for this reason I have to block you. Respond however you like to this post, because I will not see it.

Mod PSA: never say shit like this. If you want to disengage - which would have been the correct thing to do in this instance - disengage.

9 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Aside from the numerous glitches, the game is plagued by mediocre voice acting and a terrible plot that revolves around Princess Elise getting kidnapped a ridiculous number of times, Silver being an annoying hero antagonist who's mislead into believing Sonic is the "Iblis Trigger" and thus is trying to kill him, the fact Sonic is killed and must be revived by Elise kissing him, and the entire game being retconned out thanks to time travel shenanigans, making it the most pointless entry in the franchise ever. Oh, and there's the fact the humans, including Eggman, are designed to look photorealistic, which makes Elise kissing Sonic all the more cringy. Not helping matters is the fact the game was Christmas rushed, contributing to a lot of its issues.

Furthermore, Sonic 06 serves as the headline of what many consider to be the lowest point of Sonic's career, following the already critically-panned Shadow the Hedgehog and managing to be much worse, and being followed by Sonic Rush Adventure and the Sonic Rivals duo, which have some of the most acrid storytelling in the entire franchise. Sonic 06 is considered by many to be the epitome of everything wrong with the Sonic series as a whole, to the point Sonic Boom: The Rise of Lyric was compared to it due to similar flaws.

At least the music is good, though.

Yikes; that all does sound extremely bad. I can understand why Sonic '06 is always referred to as essentially the terrible Sonic game.

I have heard of Sonic Boom as being another bad Sonic game; was that the one that tried to reboot the series and that gave everyone scarfs and bandages?

Edited by vanguard333

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

I have heard of Sonic Boom as being another bad Sonic game; was that the one that tried to reboot the series and that gave everyone scarfs and bandages?

Yeah you are probably thinking of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (as there were two other Sonic Boom games on the 3ds that don't necessarily share its infamy) is generally seen as one of the worst Sonic games (probably not as bad as Sonic '06, but for some different reasons). It sorta tried to reboot the series, the plan was to have a split universe with the Sonic Boom games being the new branch controlled by western developers, while Sonic team keeping making games for the original Sonic universe. Also of note, the redesign was from the rather well received Sonic Boom cartoon series, with the games adopting that art style for the new universe (although little else).

10 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Yeah you are probably thinking of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (as there were two other Sonic Boom games on the 3ds that don't necessarily share its infamy) is generally seen as one of the worst Sonic games (probably not as bad as Sonic '06, but for some different reasons). It sorta tried to reboot the series, the plan was to have a split universe with the Sonic Boom games being the new branch controlled by western developers, while Sonic team keeping making games for the original Sonic universe. Also of note, the redesign was from the rather well received Sonic Boom cartoon series, with the games adopting that art style for the new universe (although little else).

I see. Thanks for the info.

Sonic Boom is one of the few video game cartoons that's actually better than the video game it's adapting. A pity the same can't be said of Mega Man: Fully Charged...On that note, I'd like to see a crossover between Sonic's various animated series in the vein of Turtles Forever. Adventures, SatAM, Underground, X, and Boom...maybe a nod to the OVA as well.

At least I did like some parts in The Game Awards 2021. It's good to see Tales of Arise managed to win Best RPG in 2021, Genshin Impact won in Best Mobile Game section, and Metroid Dread got won in Best Action/Adventure Game. I do like the preview trailer of Star Wars Eclipse and Sonic 2 film so far along with the reveal of Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (+original FFVII Remake as well) is coming to PC in Epic Game Store. But it's a shame that we didn't get to see any single Nintendo Announcements this year like what happened in the Game Awards 2019.

Edited by King Marth 64

I'd love to see Awakening get a Switch remaster. Being the game that saved the series and introduced legions of new fans to the franchise, it deserves an HD rerelease. Hopefully this time with actual feet! :D It would also be nice if maybe certain classes were no longer gender-locked, or had counterparts like in the case of Clerics and Monks. Like a female equivalent to the Fighter, or a male equivalent to the Pegasus Knight. I'd also like to see additional kids for Flavia, Sey'Ri, Tiki, Aversa, Emmeryn, and Anna. And hey, maybe Cordelia can actually get together with Chrom this time? To help balance out Robin, they could limit their alternate classes to two, but you get to pick them at the start of the game, just like Corrin's one alternate in Fates.

52 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I'd love to see Awakening get a Switch remaster. Being the game that saved the series and introduced legions of new fans to the franchise, it deserves an HD rerelease. Hopefully this time with actual feet! 😄 It would also be nice if maybe certain classes were no longer gender-locked, or had counterparts like in the case of Clerics and Monks. Like a female equivalent to the Fighter, or a male equivalent to the Pegasus Knight. I'd also like to see additional kids for Flavia, Sey'Ri, Tiki, Aversa, Emmeryn, and Anna. And hey, maybe Cordelia can actually get together with Chrom this time? To help balance out Robin, they could limit their alternate classes to two, but you get to pick them at the start of the game, just like Corrin's one alternate in Fates.

Honestly, a lot of DS/3DS games should probably get ported/remastered if simply for the sake of preservation, considering how unlikely it is that we'll be seeing another dual-screen/touchscreen console again.

More kids could be interesting, though a kid for Say'ri or Emmeryn wouldn't make much sense, as they died early on in the future that Lucina came from.

Cordelia being able to s-support Chrom... that one I'm torn on. On the one hand, I guess it could be neat and I don't really care. On the other hand, Awakening was made to be a sort-of Fire Emblem Greatest Hits with Cordelia's unrequited crush on Chrom basically being one big reference to the recurring FE trope of pegasus knights having unrequited crushes, so I'm not sure if it would fit.

Limiting Robin's number of alternate classes could be interesting for balance. 

10 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Nintendo not being there isn't that surprising considering they can be expected to throw a big Jan/Feb direct.

And that's what I'm interested in. Any Fire Emblem announcements (cough 5th anniversary Fire Emblem Warriors 2 cough) are most likely to be announced in a Q1 direct.

Yeah; I honestly wasn't expecting an appearance from Nintendo at all; Nintendo has its directs and such for announcing new games and such; they don't really need the Game Awards. 

A Fire Emblem Warriors 2 would only get my attention if there are Tellius characters in it; even just Ike would do. But I'm willing to predict that, if a Warriors 2 is made, it'll only have Shadow Dragon, Awakening, Fates, SoV and Three Houses characters at most.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Honestly, a lot of DS/3DS games should probably get ported/remastered if simply for the sake of preservation, considering how unlikely it is that we'll be seeing another dual-screen/touchscreen console again.

More kids could be interesting, though a kid for Say'ri or Emmeryn wouldn't make much sense, as they died early on in the future that Lucina came from.

Cordelia being able to s-support Chrom... that one I'm torn on. On the one hand, I guess it could be neat and I don't really care. On the other hand, Awakening was made to be a sort-of Fire Emblem Greatest Hits with Cordelia's unrequited crush on Chrom basically being one big reference to the recurring FE trope of pegasus knights having unrequited crushes, so I'm not sure if it would fit.

Hmm...what if there was more than one future? I recall we visit an alternate timeline where Say'ri died and Yen'fay didn't, so maybe there's a version of Lucina's future where Say'ri lived long enough to have kids? As is now, she feels a little superfluous as the only person she can marry is Robin. Virion and Lon'Qu would be interesting choices as Virion comes from the Valm continent and Lon'Qu is heavily implied to be Chon'sin himself.

I get the reference, but that's to games where the hero has a single, canon love interest, like Marth and Caeda. in a game where the Marth expy can marry a wide variety of girls, it feels arbitrary that Cordelia isn't one of them, especially since she has the most obvious feelings for him. If they were to get together, Sumia would be the Pegasus Knight with the unrequited crush, so the reference is still there.

They could add Stahl to Sumia's list of candidates because they'd be such lovable dorks together. I can already picture a scenario:

Spoiler

C: Sumia's clumsiness accidentally costs Stahl his lunch. Embarrassed, Sumia offers to cook him a new meal as an apology. Stahl tries to tell her that's not necessary, but she's off before he can get the words out. When Stahl tries Sumia's cooking, he loves it so much that he decides to cook for her in return, even though she made the meal as an apology.

B: Stahl presents Sumia with a surprise meal as a token of thanks. Unfortunately, her tendency to trip causes the meal to hit the deck, embarrassing her again. She gets ready to go cook another meal as an apology, but Stahl stops her, pointing out that the meal was for her, to thank her for the good food she gave him before. If anyone should go cook another, it's him. Sumia points out that the meal she cooked was an apology for costing him his lunch. Stahl says she didn't need to apologize, as it was an accident. He considers her "apology meal" a gift, and wanted to repay her kindness with a gift of his own. As a compromise, they decide cook together...and to let Stahl carry the food.

A: Stahl and Sumia prepare food for the entire camp, and receive top marks for their cooking. Stahl and Sumia discuss the prospect of going into the culinary business together once the war is over. She can cook, and he'll hand the meals out to customers. They both agree that the relationship will be strictly professional, of course, though their thoughts suggest they desire otherwise.

S: Stahl confesses to Sumia that he wants them to be partners in more than just business, and presents Sumia with a ring, proposing to her. Sumia admits that she feels the same way, and accepts, expressing her excitement over their bun in the oven. Stahl promises Sumia that if she should ever trip again, he'll be there to catch her. In fact, she can hold his arm to keep from tripping if she likes. Then he asks Sumia what bun she's talking about.

...I think I might actually support Stahl/Sumia more than Chrom/Sumia now.

Edited by Lord_Brand

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

I'd love to see Awakening get a Switch remaster. Being the game that saved the series and introduced legions of new fans to the franchise, it deserves an HD rerelease. Hopefully this time with actual feet! 😄 It would also be nice if maybe certain classes were no longer gender-locked, or had counterparts like in the case of Clerics and Monks. Like a female equivalent to the Fighter, or a male equivalent to the Pegasus Knight. I'd also like to see additional kids for Flavia, Sey'Ri, Tiki, Aversa, Emmeryn, and Anna. And hey, maybe Cordelia can actually get together with Chrom this time? To help balance out Robin, they could limit their alternate classes to two, but you get to pick them at the start of the game, just like Corrin's one alternate in Fates.

Now I don't think an Awakening remake is in the best interests of the series. It sold incredibly well on a highly successful system that's been dead not even three years yet. Most people who would want to play Awakening either already have it, or have a way to play it. It's not a scarce game (like either Tellius title), nor does it belong to a failed system (like the Wii U). So a remaster would be kind of redundant. Not to mention, even if they were to improve the graphics and add full voice acting, the lack of a dual screen interface has the potential to make the resulting presentation worse overall.

That said, I am game to theorycraft. But any further discussion should probably go on the "Thoughts on remakes in general" thread in General FE.

3 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Hmm...what if there was more than one future? I recall we visit an alternate timeline where Say'ri died and Yen'fay didn't, so maybe there's a version of Lucina's future where Say'ri lived long enough to have kids? As is now, she feels a little superfluous as the only person she can marry is Robin. Virion and Lon'Qu would be interesting choices as Virion comes from the Valm continent and Lon'Qu is heavily implied to be Chon'sin himself.

The timeline where Say'ri died and Yen'fay didn't is Lucina's future. Say'ri having more support options would definitely be a good idea.

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

That said, I am game to theorycraft. But any further discussion should probably go on the "Thoughts on remakes in general" thread in General FE.

Agreed; this isn't really the topic for discussing Awakening.

18 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Yeah; I honestly wasn't expecting an appearance from Nintendo at all; Nintendo has its directs and such for announcing new games and such; they don't really need the Game Awards. 

A Fire Emblem Warriors 2 would only get my attention if there are Tellius characters in it; even just Ike would do. But I'm willing to predict that, if a Warriors 2 is made, it'll only have Shadow Dragon, Awakening, Fates, SoV and Three Houses characters at most.

You know, unless they go 3H-only (pls no), I don't see them making the no Ike/Roy mistake again. They have the benefit of popularity polls and they know how we took it last time. It would be a financial derp moment to not include the big, highly-requested characters at least.

Which isn't to say that 3H characters aren't also perfect for the game. There has never been a more musou character than Dimitri "Kill Every Last One of Them" Blaiddyd.

On 12/11/2021 at 3:55 AM, vanguard333 said:

Well firstly the game was chuckfull of often hilarious glitches. To the point of being barely playable. But it coming right after the also maligned Shadow the Hedgehog probably also drilled it into people's head that there was something terribly wrong with the franchise. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

12 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well firstly the game was chuckfull of often hilarious glitches. To the point of being barely playable. But it coming right after the also maligned Shadow the Hedgehog probably also drilled it into people's head that there was something terribly wrong with the franchise. 

The close proximity to the Sonic Rush and Sonic Rivals titles didn't help, either. Those six games together had some of the weakest story and writing in the series. Truly, the low point in the hedgehog's career.

But you know, looking at Sonic going open world makes me wonder if there's potential for Crash or Spyro to do the same. Crash less so, as his classic formula holds up even today, but Spyro's always been about exploring large open 3D spaces, so an open world game might be perfect for the purple dragon.

Edited by Lord_Brand