Nintendo Direct 2.9.2022 Thread (Feb 8th at 2 PM PT / 5 PM EST)

King Marth 64

Hmm...Chrono Cross+Radical Dreamers and Xenoblade 3 made the direct for me. I've always been interested in playing Chrono Cross despite it's mixed reception and seemingly nonsensical story, and Xenoblade 3 looks very fun. I certainly like the look of the new protagonist 10x more than Rex's, and the flute thing is intriguing. 

I've never been the biggest fan of Warriors games as I don't like smashing buttons like mad until the stage is cleared, but it's cool for those that loved 3H and want more of it. I'll probably look at the cutscenes in YouTube to see how the story goes. 

I kinda expected to see something about BoTW2, but I guess that game will take a while to come. 

When I saw the Earthbound trailer I kinda hoped to see Mother 3. It's kinda sad it wasn't there, but it isn't surprising. 

Well, that was... mostly boring honestly, with one or two flickers of excitement and a couple groans.

The flickers of excitement: more Advance Wars knowledge is cool, Triangle Strategy demo should be fun

The groans: Three Houses Warriors, Triangle Strategy is still called Triangle Strategy and not something better

XC3 looks kind-of interesting; I'm not sure I like the idea of a game taking place in the worlds of the previous two games; both XC1 and XC2 seemed rather conclusive in their conclusions. I honestly wasn't expecting an XCX-2, as much as I would've preferred that, so this didn't surprise me.

One thing I would've liked though would've been for the trailer to show some actual gameplay; no one doubts that Monolith Soft can put together an interesting world, story and set of characters, but for me, the combat in every game is almost-unbearably dull, and X was the only one that managed to make the exploration interesting. Gameplay is really not their strong point, and I just hope that they actually address that with this game, but given that it's directly continuing from XC1 and 2, I honestly doubt it'll happen.

Wow Kirby's inhaling of objects is pretty much Cappy from Super Mario Odyssey now. I love it. Getsufumaden is OUT, continuing the tradition of indie game I've been waiting to hear more about for over a year that gets shadow dropped at the end of these Directs. It's downloading to my Switch right now. Mother 1 and 2 is neat for those that haven't played it. My playthrough of Earthbound was over ten years ago by now and I'm afraid I'm still not in the mood for that replay. But maybe someday. The Xenoblade trailer has a lot of familiar stuff, and familiar faces, but I couldn't quite process what was going on. Live a Live is hype, I don't know if anybody was still holding out hope for a western release of that game but it's a nice surprise. A similar, smaller victory is Klonoa, particularly Klonoa 2. That game has never been remade or rereleased, and it's quite rare among PS2 games. 

Fire Emblem Three Hopes is...very awkward. I definitely saw the potential for an "Age of Calamity" set in the universe of Three Houses. In fact, now that we're looking at it, I wonder if that was the entire plan with Koei Tecmo's involvement. I know Omega Force, specifically, didn't make Three Houses, but Three Houses was built on that self-same engine for Warriors games. But by setting the game in the same time period with the same protagonists, and presumably a Revelations-esque plot, this game is neither a "Fire Emblem Warriors 2" nor an Age of Calamity situation. It's a remake. A remake of a three year old game that is also exclusive to the Switch. It's an uncomfortable precedent. If a proper Fire Emblem game were announced alongside it, I'd at least not have to worry about what this says about the future of the main series. There's only one company interested in making Fire Emblem, and it aint Intelligent Systems.

The Mario announcements were probably my favorite parts of the direct. I have been wanting new Mario Kart content for some time now and I'm fine with MK8 getting DLC since it is almost getting a new game for $25 with it getting 48 new courses and all. Mario Strikers Battle League looks interesting as well. Hopefully it still keeps the charm of the older striker games.

FEW Three Hopes exists I guess. Would have prefered a brand new title or a remake of Geneaolgy but this just seems to be a spinoff to tide people over until the next main entry is ready. Not really sold on it yet since I am kind of tired of Three Houses but my opinion might change later. Depends who else is playable. Everything else in the direct was pretty forgettable to me for the most part. 

2 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Fire Emblem Three Hopes is...very awkward. I definitely saw the potential for an "Age of Calamity" set in the universe of Three Houses. In fact, now that we're looking at it, I wonder if that was the entire plan with Koei Tecmo's involvement. I know Omega Force, specifically, didn't make Three Houses, but Three Houses was built on that self-same engine for Warriors games. But by setting the game in the same time period with the same protagonists, and presumably a Revelations-esque plot, this game is neither a "Fire Emblem Warriors 2" nor an Age of Calamity situation. It's a remake. A remake of a three year old game that is also exclusive to the Switch. It's an uncomfortable precedent. If a proper Fire Emblem game were announced alongside it, I'd at least not have to worry about what this says about the future of the main series. There's only one company interested in making Fire Emblem, and it aint Intelligent Systems.

Wow, and I thought I was being melodramatic. It's only been three years. We're getting more mainline FE, and it will almost certainly be on the Switch.

If anything has been holding up FE, it's been IS's focus on Paper Mario and Warioware mediocrity, but I don't begrudge them a break from the FE train, especially because they were considerate enough to hire out help and give us more Fire Emblem while they did so. 

Chrono Cross and Live A Live made the direct for me. I'm so hyped! I do wish that Chrono Cross got a proper remake instead of a slightly updated remaster but Radical Dreamers, redone character art, and new orchestral ost totally make up for it imo.

Live A Live is getting way better treatment than I ever imagined it would. The fact that it's being localized at all after such a long time is mind blowing. Like I didn't even think Square gave a single fudge about it anymore. At the beginning of the trailer I really thought it was gonna be about the DQ3 remake instead but no, it was freaking Live A Live! And it's being remade in 2.5 HD and and getting voice acted?! Take it, just take all my money.

Square really came directly for my wallet this direct and that's something I haven't seen them do in a long time.

Oh and 48 new Mario Kart tracks is cool too. Wasn't expecting new Mario Kart 8 content at all. If anything I would have expected Mario Kart 9 by now but I guess they're content with just continually updating 8 and saving 9 for the next console generation.

My friend is absolutely over the moon about Live a Live. It's one of his favorite games, and I streamed playing it over discord a month or so back. We watched the direct together and I realized right along with him what this was. His reaction was amazing. I'm so happy for him.

7 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

If anything has been holding up FE, it's been IS's focus on Paper Mario and Warioware mediocrity, but I don't begrudge them a break from the FE train, especially because they were considerate enough to hire out help and give us more Fire Emblem while they did so. 

Three Houses: 2.87 million copies

Paper Mario, The Origami King: 3.12 million copies

WarioWare, Get it Together!: …I couldn't actually find the sales numbers.

So... sort-of; my best guess would be that all three sell around equally well these days. That said, Fates sold really well while Color Splash was a massive flop, so that equality is only a recent thing.

8 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Wow, and I thought I was being melodramatic.

My first blush reaction was that it felt "very awkward". I called the game a remake (which I know is a little harsh without context, but what DO you call this game? If it's a sequel, sequel to what?), and openly wondered if Koei Tecmo agreed to make Three Houses on the condition that they can make their own Warriors spinoff game afterward. Is that why Three Houses is such an incomplete narrative? Why the moment to moment gameplay is just loaded with half-baked bloat? Not to dunk on Three Houses like it's 2019 again but these are interesting retrospective questions. I then said I wish a proper Fire Emblem game were announced first so that I wouldn't have to wonder about this bizarre "Koei Tecmo Era" of Fire Emblem. But you took that as saying "I think the series is dead" which would be ludicrous indeed since we're facing down the future of the series right now. It's not just FE, IS also farmed out the production of Advance Wars. When that game was announced, I asked the question for the first time: Is IS done making strategy games? It's a dire-sounding question, but I hardly see how that's more melodramatic than:

19 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

That 3H Warriors announcement killed me inside.

My chances of playing an FEW with a good roster just died, along with the years I spent campaigning for it.

and

There are no words to express my heartbreak, and now those of us who wanted Fire Emblem Warriors 2 have a painful choice. Buy it and solidify the single-game approach for Warriors games going forward. Don't buy it and they'll blame the Fire Emblem brand.

Fuck. If I had a therapist, I'd offer to give you their number after reading that. Hey, you invited the comparison between our posts, not me. I can't speak to what a Fire Emblem Warriors SuperFan should do in this scenario, but I'm not planning on buying this one. Call me up when the next Fire Emblem is announced. That's something I'm invested enough to complain about months before release.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

3 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

My first blush reaction was that it felt "very awkward". I called the game a remake (which I know is a little harsh without context, but what DO you call this game? If it's a sequel, sequel to what?), and openly wondered if Koei Tecmo agreed to make Three Houses on the condition that they can make their own Warriors spinoff game afterward. Is that why Three Houses is such an incomplete narrative? Why the moment to moment gameplay is just loaded with half-baked bloat? Not to dunk on Three Houses like it's 2019 again but these are interesting retrospective questions. I then said I wish a proper Fire Emblem game were announced first so that I wouldn't have to wonder about this bizarre "Koei Tecmo Era" of Fire Emblem. But you took that as saying "I think the series is dead" which would be ludicrous indeed since we're facing down the future of the series right now. It's not just FE, IS also farmed out the production of Advance Wars. When that game was announced, I asked the question for the first time: Is IS done making strategy games? It's a dire-sounding question, but I hardly see how that's more melodramatic than:

and

Fuck. If I had a therapist, I'd offer to give you their number after reading that. Hey, you invited the comparison between our posts, not me. I can't speak to what a Fire Emblem Warriors SuperFan should do in this scenario, but I'm not planning on buying this one. Call me up when the next Fire Emblem is announced. That's something I'm invested enough to complain about months before release.

I'm being somewhat facetious.

What I am saying is that you don't have due cause for concern that this game will delay your next game by years. I do, because I know full well what the demand and development curb for these games are. 

Saying that IS doesn't care about their flagship series anymore is dramatic and baseless. That is all. View it as an extra game - buy it or don't.

As for what I should do as a super duper fan, I don't feel that I actually have a choice in the matter. If it succeeds, I might get a sequel and that sequel MIGHT be what I wanted. If it flops, they'll blame the FE brand rather than the Age of Calamity approach, and that will be the end of any chance I have of a sequel. I am justifiably sad, but my choice is made and I just have to accept good rather than perfect.

30 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

What I am saying is that you don't have due cause for concern that this game will delay your next game by years. I do, because I know full well what the demand and development curb for these games are. 

Saying that IS doesn't care about their flagship series anymore is dramatic and baseless. That is all. View it as an extra game - buy it or don't.

I hope you're right, and that this is just a weird look for Fire Emblem that will dissipate once the mysterious 2023 Fire Emblem game gets announced. Part of why Three Houses was such a disappointment for me is that it was announced a full 30 months before it actually came out. That's Zelda levels of ridiculous. So maybe they looked at that and realized they shouldn't talk about something so far in advance. 

3 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

I hope you're right, and that this is just a weird look for Fire Emblem that will dissipate once the mysterious 2023 Fire Emblem game gets announced. Part of why Three Houses was such a disappointment for me is that it was announced a full 30 months before it actually came out. That's Zelda levels of ridiculous. So maybe they looked at that and realized they shouldn't talk about something so far in advance. 

Nintendo is moving towards shorter hype cycles. So yes, expect games to be announced closer to release. If anything, I'm sure this game would love to have had an opportunity to announce 2-3 months prior to release like Age of Calamity did. The direct schedule just didn't work out that way.

17 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Also, Disney Speedstorm is a thing. Looks kinda fun, won't lie. Seeing the likes of Mulan and Jack Sparrow in racing suits is comically surreal.

But when will you make a Smash title, Disney? You're sitting on a gold mine, here!

I think I'll stick with Chocobo Racing on this one.

Speaking of racing, that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC news was very interesting; 48 courses from past games. Meanwhile, I still have my copy of the obviously-unfinished-when-they-sold-it original Wii U version of Mario Kart 8. Yeah; Nintendo really enjoys making Wii U owners feel cheated; don't they?

Edited by vanguard333

18 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Speaking of racing, that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC news was very interesting; 48 courses from past games. Meanwhile, I still have my copy of the obviously-unfinished-when-they-sold-it original Wii U version of Mario Kart 8. Yeah; Nintendo really enjoys making Wii U owners feel cheated; don't they?

Well... I'm still not rebuying Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on Nintendo Switch since I did had all the DLC purchased on my copy on the Wii U and plus, saving up more stuff for other games as well. I definitely feel like those 48 courses should have been on Mario Kart 9 instead since it was been 6 years after Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was released.

Edited by King Marth 64

17 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Well... I'm still not rebuying Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on Nintendo Switch since I did had all the DLC purchased on my copy on the Wii U and plus, saving up more stuff for other games as well. I definitely feel like those 48 courses should have been on Mario Kart 9 instead since it was been 6 years after Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was released.

I see. I didn't purchase any of the DLC, mainly because I bought Mario Kart 8 about a month before Deluxe was announced.

Yeah; it's obvious that the only reason they haven't made a Mario Kart 9 is that Mario Kart 8 was a massive success and they want to milk that success.

I hope the next Mario Kart brings back Double Dash-style co-op. My bro and I loved teaming up and racing together. Shoot, a remaster of Double Dash itself - with all the expected extra content like new characters, tracks, and items - would be perfectly welcome.

22 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I hope the next Mario Kart brings back Double Dash-style co-op. My bro and I loved teaming up and racing together. Shoot, a remaster of Double Dash itself - with all the expected extra content like new characters, tracks, and items - would be perfectly welcome.

I remember Double Dash; my siblings and I absolutely loved racing together as well. It would be nice to see the Double Dash mechanics return as well. A remaster could be interesting; there are a lot of GameCube titles that deserve a second chance, and Double Dash is one of them.