Toothpaste-chan's hair has to be a plot point, no?

PhiphyL

I see lots of people complaining about the hair (count me in, I hate it and it's overdone), but no one seems to assume that it's just temporary. The way I see it, it could go a number of ways:

1) Alear is the fusion of two beings (Al and... Ear?), they will unfuse later on and we will have two protagonists, one with blue hair and one with red hair (or one will be an antagonist, to the player's discretion)

2) Alear's hair will normalize into... purple? But we just had Shez so that's unlikely.

3) Blue and red have a character trait or a special power associated with it, and we will lose one of them and have just blue or just red hair at some point, even temporarily

4) It really is a Pepsi partnership

5) Finally, the sequel this masterpiece deserved

After all, Byleth's Enlightened look was not used in promo material before the game's release. So I am confident that this hair isn't final.

Edited by PhiphyL

Pure speculation but the way the the box art for the divine edition puts emphasis on the red/blue colour split (male Alear is red while female Alear is blue) makes me think that there will be a route split that causes Alear's hair to go either fully red or fully blue. 

Edited by zuibangde

4 hours ago, zuibangde said:

Pure speculation but the way the the box art for the divine edition puts emphasis on the red/blue colour split (male Alear is red while female Alear is blue) makes me think that there will be a route split that causes Alear's hair to go either fully red or fully blue. 

Wow, I think I'm totally buying this theory! Could really be a thing. They did say in the direct we'd learn more in the near future. When you think about it, we've barely taken a glance at the plot. There's bound to be more in store. This split could be great in terms of replay value! (although I believe that the best factor in replay value is simply providing players with a great gaming experience, regardless of plot twists, like Path of Radiance, for instance, which I played and replayed 5 or 6 times)

Edited by Taho

If they somehow find a way to make their hair plot relevant, I would have to applaud them. Would be interesting to see if it will result in a route split lol.

I'm guessing their hair and eye colors is a result of being the secret child of the good dragon (blue) and the fell dragon (red).

Will it have a story impact? Maybe. It depends entirely on the writing. It isn't the first time it would happen since being a child of the bad dragon happened in both Awakening and Fates.

A protagonist being a combination of both is new however (if you don't count Lucina if her mother is Robin). It might have greater impact on the plot is the writers know how to use it.

12 hours ago, zuibangde said:

That's so ridiculous, I hope they do it. In fact, 10/10, GOTY.

14 hours ago, zuibangde said:

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

That's so ridiculous, I hope they do it. In fact, 10/10, GOTY.

They better add a secret third route where you get to keep the toothpaste hair.

I figured that, in a game series where characters famously have all kinds of bizarre hair colours, giving the protagonist 2 hair colours is basically the only way to make the hair stand out and indicate that this isn't an ordinary character. Alear is supposed to be a divine dragon after all.

21 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I figured that, in a game series where characters famously have all kinds of bizarre hair colours, giving the protagonist 2 hair colours is basically the only way to make the hair stand out and indicate that this isn't an ordinary character. Alear is supposed to be a divine dragon after all.

Well, they've done two-coloured hair before. Peri had her pink and blue hair, and Constance had the weird ringlets that were blonde on the outside but blue on the inside. If they want to show that someone is special through the medium of hair colour, then nothing short of iridescent rainbow hair will suffice.

I'm not actually opposed to two-tone hair. But the colors chosen should actually be complementary. As in, a dark base color (black, brown, dark grey, dark red, blue) and then a bright highlighting color used sparingly (blonde, silver, white, etc.). There were 99 ways to do two tone hair, and they start to get iffy around #23. This artist went with option #637 and a half.

Oh, and the outfit suffers from the same problem. It's all highlighting colors that clash horribly, with no base to bring them together.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I think the hair is just a nod to the most common/well-known hair colors for FE lords (Marth, Roy, Ike, Seliph, Eliwood, etc.), since Alear can "summon" them using emblems. I'm not expecting it to mean anything. Besides, you can see red and blue flyaways on the other white dragon, so I'm sure it's just genetic for this particular Divine Dragon (like how Fae's dragon form looks like a chicken.) Personally, I think it's clever. Alear's outfit is also a nod to past FE lords, being reminiscent of Sigurd's, Chrom's, Alfonse's, etc. (Specifically thinking of M!Alear.)

Just now, Mercakete said:

I think the hair is just a nod to the most common/well-known hair colors for FE lords (Marth, Roy, Ike, Seliph, Eliwood, etc.), since Alear can "summon" them using emblems. I'm not expecting it to mean anything. Besides, you can see red and blue flyaways on the other white dragon, so I'm sure it's just genetic for this particular Divine Dragon (like how Fae's dragon form looks like a chicken.) Personally, I think it's clever. Alear's outfit is also a nod to past FE lords, being reminiscent of Sigurd's, Chrom's, Alfonse's, etc. (Specifically thinking of M!Alear.)

Agreed! Ever since someone pointed that out I thought it was really cute and made me like em more

9 hours ago, lenticular said:

Well, they've done two-coloured hair before. Peri had her pink and blue hair, and Constance had the weird ringlets that were blonde on the outside but blue on the inside. If they want to show that someone is special through the medium of hair colour, then nothing short of iridescent rainbow hair will suffice.

I don't know about that. I don't hear a lot of people discuss the hair of Peri or Constance, but we're literally calling the character Toothpaste-Chan because of that ridiculous do.

On 9/15/2022 at 7:38 AM, Fabulously Olivier said:

It actually changes with the joycons. If you want a real genetic abomination, use the Splatoon ones.

Y'know, I forgot to reply to this, but I actually quite like this idea and it would be hilarious fun to see it implemented.

I'm guessing it's just based on their parentage. One with blue hair, and one with red. Obviously, they're the lovechild of Marth and Roy.

13 hours ago, lenticular said:

Or, if you're in Tellius, silver hair will stand out. In a world of lilac, crimson, royal blue, and forest green hairdos (hairdoes?), somehow light gray is the most extraordinary. 

On 9/15/2022 at 7:38 AM, Fabulously Olivier said:

It actually changes with the joycons. If you want a real genetic abomination, use the Splatoon ones.

Joy-Con sales go up by 776%.

RIP to everyone playing with the white OLED Joy-Cons. Myself included.

Uh no. That's like assuming the girl with two different colored eyes is going to have that explained. Did Corrin put on a pair of shoes by the end of that game? There's your answer.

You guys did notice Alear's eyes are mismatched right? Or does that not even register amongst everything else wrong with this design?

On 9/15/2022 at 2:36 AM, PhiphyL said:

Is this supposed to be a dig at the movie? Because it legit holds up. Top of B tier among live action video game movies.