Have you ever met a celebrity in person only for them to be the complete opposite of what you thought?

IceBrand

I saw Shigeru Miyamoto in a grocery store in LA today. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"
I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw Miyamoto trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

not celebrities but people i greatly look up to, yeah

i expected them to be very intimidating and hard to talk to but once i began working alongside them they turned out to be very warm and welcoming

I've seen Drake Bell in his limo at a gas station when I was a kid and got a hug from him and an autograph, best moment

edit: and I remember him being really nice

Edited by Jin

I saw Shigeru Miyamoto in a grocery store in LA today. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw Miyamoto trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I'm not really too surprised at this. Miyamoto doesn't actually know a lot of English from what I hear (there's always someone speaking it for him in Nintendo Directs and stuff, after all) and as a result, probably doesn't meet many people who don't also speak some Japanese and all. Still, I suppose I wouldn't have expected him to be THAT rude or try to walk out of the store without paying. It's like, dude, don't you pay for things in Japan? xP

The closest thing I've met to a celebrity is a Washington Redskins player back in middle school. He came to do an assembly there. I don't remember his name at all... xP I did almost get to meet Franco Harris, a Super Bowl Steelers MVP and NFL hall of famer though! But my stepdad and I were just barely too late and the line closed when we got there. -_-

I'm not really too surprised at this. Miyamoto doesn't actually know a lot of English from what I hear (there's always someone speaking it for him in Nintendo Directs and stuff, after all) and as a result, probably doesn't meet many people who don't also speak some Japanese and all. Still, I suppose I wouldn't have expected him to be THAT rude or try to walk out of the store without paying. It's like, dude, don't you pay for things in Japan? xP

i think it's a joke

ocqny.png

Can you tell that the text has a different background colour behind it? Can you also tell that the text itself is kind of different from the default forum font?

If not, try looking in this quote you made instead

ocqoB.png

different formatting is a good indicator of copy/pasted lines (as long as you are in the rich text editor), and copy/pasted lines are a good indicator that it's like some sort of copypasta or meme or something along those lines

(also yes, the story sounds pretty ridiculous which is another good indicator that it's a joke~)

and you can confirm this all by copy/pasting a section of the quote - without specific names like Miyamoto's name - into google

TEACHING PEOPLE HOW TO SPOT INTERNET JOKES ON SF \o/

Edited by Freohr Datia

ocqny.png

Can you tell that the text has a different background colour behind it? Can you also tell that the text itself is kind of different from the default forum font?

If not, try looking in this quote you made instead

No, I didn't see those differences at all. But I did see it in the quote just now, you're right.

How can you tell at all? I don't see any indicators...

really sure its a copypasta.

Anyway, not really? I havent met any SUPER HUGE celebs, only guys in bands and stuff. Never turned out the opposite of what i expected.

zack and cody went(not sure if they are still there) to NYU and my HS was a few streets down(understatement but NYU campus was a good 10 minutes away and we went there to chill anyways since its a lot more tame than the hipster plaza known as union square) and some of my friends would see them at washington square park and take pictures with them.