The Resistance III

Tables

[spoiler=fluff]The Empire must fall. Our mission must succeed. By destroying their key bases, we will shatter Imperial strength and liberate our people. Yet spies have infiltrated our ranks, ready for sabotage. We must unmask them. In five nights we reshape destiny or die trying. We are the Resistance!

The Resistance is a party game of social deduction. It is designed for five to ten players, lasts about 30 minutes, and has no player elimination. The Resistance is inspired by Mafia/Werewolf, yet it is unique in its core mechanics which increase the resources for informed decisions, intensify player interaction, and eliminate player elimination.

Players are either Resistance Operatives or Imperial Spies. For three to five rounds, they must depend on each other to carry out missions against the Empire. At the same time, they must try to deduce the other players’ identities and gain their trust. Each round begins with discussion. When ready, the Leader entrusts sets of Plans to a certain number of players. Everyone votes on whether or not to approve the assignment. Once an assignment passes, the chosen players secretly decide to Support or Sabotage the mission. Based on the results, the mission succeeds (Resistance win) or fails (Empire win). When a team wins three missions, they have won the game.

Welcome to The Resistance III. The above gives a brief overview of the game. Of course, being a forum game it's going to last significantly longer than 30 minutes (probably over a month).

The Resistance is a simple, mafia style team game, with a focus on information and deductions as well as reading people's behaviours. Each round is split into multiple phases: First the leader (who changes each round) chooses people for the mission. Then, people vote to approve or reject the mission. If rejected, leadership moves around to the next person. If approved, then each person chooses to complete the mission, or if they're a spy, may choose to sabotage the mission. A sabotaged mission is a success for the spies, while no sabotage is a success for the rebels. The first team to score a majority of successes wins the game.

That's an outline of the game. Here's some more in-depth rules, for your reading pleasure.

[spoiler=rules]The game is NOC, which includes the spies (they may not communicate via PM). No communicating via direct code is allowed. That being said, the spies may want to try and drop hints about who should do what in their messages if they think it'll help, but of course should be very subtle - if they aren't, they may just sell out both themselves and a friend.

At the start of the game, each player is told they're either a rebel or a spy - two players will be spies, the other four will be rebels. Rebels know nothing more than they are rebels, spies know themselves and the other spy. They do NOT have outside contact with the other spies, they just know their identities. Also randomised at this point is the player order, which is essentially how leadership moves around the group.

This game will have 6 players. The number of operatives on each mission goes 2-3-4-3-4 (that is, two people are chosen for mission 1, three are chosen for mission two etc.)

At the start of each round the leader (who is known publicly) has 24 hours (this can be extended to 48 on request) to propose a team. This team MAY include themselves, but MAY choose not to (there are good reasons for why both may be good ideas).

After the team has been proposed, each person must privately vote yes or no to the proposal. After 24 hours, everyone's votes will be revealed and totalled (in other words, everyone makes the choice to vote yes/no and reveals it at the same time - so people will know how you voted). If you don't vote, your vote will be randomised. The leader does also vote, and in fact sometimes may want to vote no himself. If there is a majority decision saying yes, then the mission goes ahead. If there is no majority yes, then the vote fails and leadership passes on to the next person.

Be careful - if the resistance votes no 5 times on a single mission, then the resistance collapses due to a lack of strong leadership and the spies win! (Therefore, always vote yes on the 5th mission proposal).

Once the team has been decided, the mission moves on to the mission phase. Here, all of the chosen people for the mission must choose whether to support the mission (pass) or sabotage it (fail). This is done secretly, and who chose what is not made public - just the number of sabotages is revealed. Each operative on the mission has 24 hours to make their choice - spies may choose to sabotage or support the mission, while resistance MUST choose to support it. After 24 hours have passed, all operatives (including spies) will be assumed to support the mission.

Finally, the results of the mission are revealed, leadership passes on to the next person, and the next mission starts.

The resistance win by succeeding on 3 missions. The spies win by sabotaging 3 missions.

If you enjoy this game, I highly advise you buy it! Okay, this slightly infringes on advertising, but to be honest, this is a commercial game you're playing for free. The game itself is inexpensive (about $15 IIRC) and you get a set of good quality components. It's like playing Mafia IRL, but easier, quicker, with no moderator and it's more about information than reading people's faces. So if you do like the game, supporting the developers is definitely recommended.

Note that The Resistance has no player elimination - in fact, even if a spy is known, they can direct the other spies publicly with suggestions or advice, or can keep denying the evidence, if they can think of an alternate suggestion.

This link is recommended to read before the game. In particular: The resistance should by default vote no to a mission unless they're reasonably confident in it. This is because the more rounds of voting there are, the more you can see block patterns emerging, and the more information is available. This becomes truer later in the game, when both sides are more desperate for the points. Also note, if everyone votes no for a mission, what does that mean? Well, if the spies (who hold all the information) don't want it to happen, it's probably clean. What if everyone votes yes? Well then, chances are it's got a spy on it as even the spies like it.

Here is the mission roster:

Mission 1: 2 operatives

Mission 2: 3 operatives

Mission 3: 4 operatives

Mission 4: 3 operatives

Final Mission: 4 operatives

There are 2 spies. Those of you good at basic arithmetic will deduce there are 4 resistance operatives

Signups (order randomised - first leader at the top):

Kay

Cap'n Flint (Blitz)

SyalerX (Link)

Kiku-Ichimonji (Proto)

Dave Strider (Reinfleche/Lightning)

Kirsche (Kevin)

Subs:

JBCWK

arachnidsGrip

Rapier

Your role PMs are going out now. There are two forms:

[spoiler=role PMs]

You are a resistance operative

pic866462_t.jpg

You win if the resistance succeed on 3 missions. You lose if the spies sabotage 3 missions

You are a spy

pic866471_t.jpg

The two spies are:

X

Z

You win if the spies successfully sabotage 3 missions. You lose if the resistance complete 3 missions

Edited by Tableskitty

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mission Prop 1.1 by Kay

Team: Cap'n Flint, Kiku-Ichimonji,

Yes: Cap'n Flint, Kiku-Ichimonji,

No: Kay, Link, Dave Strider, Kirsche,

Result: Yes - 2, No - 4

Proposal Fails

Mission Prop 1.2 by Capn Flint

Team: Kay, Link,

Yes: Kay, Cap'n Flint, Kiku-Ichimonji,

No: Link, Dave Strider, Kirsche,

Result: Yes - 3, No - 3

Proposal Fails

Mission Prop 1.3 by Link

Team: Link, Kiku-Ichimonji,

Yes: Kay, Cap'n Flint, Link, Kiku-Ichimonji,

No: Dave Strider, Kirsche,

Result: Yes - 4, No - 2

Proposal passes

Mission 1 result

Co-operate

Co-operate

Mission succeeds. Score is now Resistance - 1, Spy - 0

Mission Prop 2.1 by Kiku-Ichimonji

Team: Kay, Dave Strider, Kirsche,

Yes:

No: Kay, Cap'n Flint, Link, Kiku-Ichimonji, Dave Strider, Kirsche,

Result: Yes - 0, No - 6

Proposal Fails

Mission Prop 2.2 by Dave Strider

Team: SlayerX, Dave Strider, Kirsche,

Yes: Kay, SlayerX, Dave Strider, Kirsche,

No: Cap'n Flint, Kiku-Ichimonji,

Proposal passes

Mission 2 result

Co-operate

Co-operate

Sabotage

Mission fails. Score is now Resistance - 1, Spy - 1

Mission Prop 3.1 by Kirsche

Team: Cap'n Flint, SlayerX, Kiku-Ichimonji, Kirsche,

Yes: Cap'n Flint, SlayerX, Kiku-Ichimonji, Kirsche,

No: Kay, Dave Strider,

Proposal passes

Mission 3 result

Co-operate

Co-operate

Co-operate

Sabotage

Mission fails. Score is now Resistance - 1, Spy - 2

Mission Prop 4.1 by Kay

Team: Cap'n Flint, Dave Strider, Kirsche,

Yes: Kay, Dave Strider, Kirsche,

No: Cap'n Flint, SlayerX, Kiku-Ichimonji,

Result: Yes - 3, No - 3

Proposal Fails

Edited by Tableskitty

Proto MK2 is clearly reporting for duty.

...huh?

Looks like there's not much info to use here. Probably just random right now. Anyone have anything they want to say?

okay, since this game is currently not moving anywhere, I would like to push it a little till it starts moving I would like to suggest some questions to be answered.

1. What do you think will happen if we sent a(only one) spy on the first mission?(as in do you think he will sabotage the mission or not?)

2. what do you think will happen if we sent both spies to the first mission?

3a. For the leader(@Kay for this round), why did you select the people you did/will for this mission?(and I don't want to hear random as the only excuse)

3b. For everyone else(and obviously everyone except Kay for this round) along with your votes, why did you vote whatever you did and what team would you have approved (along with the why)?

This is all I can think of for the time being(also, @Kevin and Proto, show yourselves!)

and now for my answers,

1. I think the spy will not sabotage the mission if s/he was selected because it will be easier to find her/him in two people.

2. I think neither of the two spies will not sabotage the mission because of having a chance for both being caught.

3b. I think I will approve of the first mission without much thought because of my two answers above

@IET, I will be gone for the next 24 hours, can you please consider my vote as as approval to Kay's team if she makes one, and if the time for my team comes, can you please wait a bit?

okay, since this game is currently not moving anywhere, I would like to push it a little till it starts moving I would like to suggest some questions to be answered.

1. What do you think will happen if we sent a(only one) spy on the first mission?(as in do you think he will sabotage the mission or not?)

Not a good idea, with a 50% chance of the 2 of them being there, there isn't a point for them to do so.

Most likely they will let it pass.

3a. For the leader(@Kay for this round), why did you select the people you did/will for this mission?(and I don't want to hear random as the only excuse) Sorry but i just have to comment on this, this is an stupid question hope i don't have to tell you why.

3b. For everyone else(and obviously everyone except Kay for this round) along with your votes, why did you vote whatever you did and what team would you have approved (along with the why)? I would leave it to chance. There is no point in trying to think it through for the very first proposal.

Also, tables and everyone else, i might not appear by the thread too much today. I have 2 tests tomorrow. They should be fairly easy though. Hopefully anyway.

Sorry let me clarify #1

Since there is only 2 people for first mission, its likely that if there is a spy, no one will sabotage. If one sabotages, town will likely figure out who is sy and who is not lategame. After all it would be a 50/50split between the two.

Mission proposal 1.1: Capn' Flint, Proto.

Please PM me your votes. As always, votes will default to no if you don't vote (and if that happens too often, I'll sub you out). Feel free to discuss your votes, say what you're intending to vote, lie about what you're intending to vote or whatever.

No way. Even when there were three Spies, I doubted that they would try to sabotage the first mission. A game with two spies with one being sent on a mission with two people? There's no way the Spy would be stupid enough to sabotage it.

If there was any chance that a Spy would sabotage the first mission if he/she was the only one, the chances of the first mission being sabotaged when both Spies are sent would be zero. Remember, Spies can't communicate with each other. They would insta-lose if they both chose to sabotage. And it would still be really bad for both of them if only one of them decided to sabotage it.

3a. For the leader(@Kay for this round), why did you select the people you did/will for this mission?(and I don't want to hear random as the only excuse)

Given that only an idiot Spy would sabotage the mission, I don't see why it actually matters who gets sent. It's going to succeed anyways.

3b. For everyone else(and obviously everyone except Kay for this round) along with your votes, why did you vote whatever you did and what team would you have approved (along with the why)?

Like I said, it doesn't matter. I'll approve any team for Day 1.

This is all I can think of for the time being(also, @Kevin and Proto, show yourselves!)

Hi Blitzy

Probably not.

Nothing, it'll still probably succeed.

I'm saying no until round 4.

expected/10

I don't get it, can someone please explain?

I'm saying no until round 4.

I can sorta see your point(or more like I could have seen it IF only you were NOT the last person on the list), what would be so special about your team, Kevin??

and why don't you name the 2 people you want to send on your mission now anyways?

Also, @Kay and Rein, answer the questions please

Sorry but i just have to comment on this, this is an stupid question hope i don't have to tell you why.

It may be a stupid question, but why are you so worried about it?it is not your turn yet.

I would leave it to chance. There is no point in trying to think it through for the very first proposal.

then what will/was your vote and why?

Also,you seem to eager to stop all the conversations I am trying to start, why is that??

I don't get it, can someone please explain?

Proto and Kay. Make the link.

I can sorta see your point(of more like I could have seen it IF only you were NOT the last person on the list), what would be so special about your team, Kevin??

and why don't you name the 2 people you want to send on your mission now anyways?

Nothing special about my team specifically, but I'd rather see who other people choose to go in their team to find patterns.

Proto and Kay. Make the link.

I still don't get it, but I will let this one go for now

Nothing special about my team specifically, but I'd rather see who other people choose to go in their team to find patterns.

yes, that would be the obvious reason, but you are the last member on the list which automatically means you are expecting something from your team.

It may be a stupid question, but why are you so worried about it?it is not your turn yet.

then what will/was your vote and why?

Also,you seem to eager to stop all the conversations I am trying to start, why is that??

I'm not worried about it, i was just saying. Its not going to get you anywhere.

Also, I voted no, again random.

I didn't stop "all" conversations. If anything i'm moving it foward by putting oposing views. Also, i don't see how answering your first two question and 3b honestly is stopping discussion.