A New Game Console: The Ouya

Randoman

Here's a video about what the Ouya is.

And here's a picture of it:

Ouya-Android-Game-Console.jpg

So basically, it's an upcoming open source video game console made by Android that aims to make game developing much more accessible and much less expensive. All games will have free-to-play demos and will be downloadable instead of retail. It'll also be sold at $99 USD.

As for the controller, here it is:

Ouya-controller.jpg

The action buttons being labelled as O, U, Y, and A make me chuckle for whatever reason.

Current titles that will be released for the Ouya include Final Fantasy III and Minecraft.

So what do you guys think about it? Also, are there any other details that you want to share about it? I barely know much about it myself besides what's on that video and what's on wikipedia.

From the video, it looks like their selling point is that it's open to indie games; if that proves to be absolutely true, then this'll be a huge step for indie developers. Iono, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·

Wow, it looks really cool.

Apparently it's going to have a lot of F2P games. I wonder if ROTMG will be one of them... (I hope so!)

Edited by Esme

I'm excited for it but I have this overwhelming feeling that it's going to fall flat on its face and be really awful. I hope I'm proven wrong.

It might be cool. I mean, I personally don't play very many indie games so I probably won't buy it anyway if that's its library's selling point, but it looks like it could be a hit with the casual market/people who want a cheap console with media center capabilities. I hope it sees success, but as said above I get the vibe it's more likely to flop hard.

hate that controller though, what an ugly motherfucker

seems to me liken an ripoff of x360..... though i do understand why they would do that cuz its good money. but xbox 720 will probalby be even more advanced.

I just stared into the screen for ten seconds trying to process your post.

Have you read what the Ouya is? I don't think you got it.

Oh my god, it's freaking tiny in the videos! Ha ha, that's pretty different for a console. Oh, and that controller is cool. REALLY cool.

The whole concept of the console is really interesting to me. I hope it does well.

That is possibly the worst looking controller/console I have ever seen. Sony they are not, lol. Then again, making sexy looking hardware didn't win them the last race.

I think this console is going to have a very hard time finding itself a dedicated fanbase.

1349533647[/url]' post='2147922']

Does it really matter what the controller looks like? I mean, I usually look at the screen while playing video games, myself...

I,m mostly talking about the D-Pad. Also yes and no to what it looks like, it look awkward to hold.