Awakening Hard mode playlog

Welcome to yet another playlog thread; there are others like it, but this one is mine. I am playing Hard mode -- with restrictions, and using a few specific characters -- at as rapid a pace as I can safety maintain without relying on ninja dodges, miracle crits, or twenty hours of planning. We will call it "pretty efficient".

IN: Forges, Paralogues, Pair Up

OUT: Event tiles, Barracks, Anna sales, Skirmishes, DLC, Spotpass armies, Renown, Bonus box

MAYBE: Logs (alone or in pairs)

I have the following plans for this playthrough:

• Find out how far that I can drag Frederick's carcass past midgame.
  • Evaluate Sully's worth as both unit and human being.
  • Settle the score between Sumia and Cordelia once and for all.
  • See if it's possible to actually turn Donnel into something useful, given reasonable effort.
  • N.O.W.I.
  • I feel like I am forgetting someone...
  • Right, going to use Kellam.

We'll see how closely I can stick to it. I may kill bench people if they are underperforming. Avatar will be a +MAG/-SKL unit named "Linde", because 1) I need a mage, and 2) why not. Supports are not yet set in stone, but the natural order of things is probably going to be Fred/Sumia, Chrom/Sully, Kellam/Cordy, Linde/Donnel, N.O.W.I./Gregor. Feel free to weigh in on all things relevant, if you'd like. Onwards:

[spoiler=Prologue, The Verge of History]

I let Linde handle most of the combat in this chapter, since she is the only unit who can counter mages. Also because Veteran. Prologue is a nice intro to the flexibility of Pair-up: with Frederick she 2HKOs with a Sword and takes little/zero physical damage (STR and DEF), with Lissa she does well with Thunder and dueling mages (MAG and RES), and Chrom puts her in doubling range for some targets (+SPD), although doubling didn't end up being necessary here. I had two Pair-up groups that wandered around and traded partners with each other as the situation dictated.

Linde got some pretty killer level-ups. Nobody else advanced.

Turns: 5/7

Heroes: Linde & Frederick

Lvl  HP STR MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES 
             Linde 4.90 21 9   10  6   9   4   7   6
             Chrom 1.60	bases
         Frederick 1.08	bases
             Lissa 1.40	bases

[spoiler=Chapter 1, Unwelcome Change]

Since only the enemies on the left have 2-range attacks (archer and the boss), I sent LindexFred over that way with Thunder. Chrom diced it up by himself on a Fort, to be joined by Sully once she showed up. This was an extremely fast level without the threat of Hammertime. Especially since Linde trolled the boss with a 1% crit. I would have restarted after that, but it wouldn't have had any notable effect, and the crit was hilarious, so it stays.

Turns: 3/10

Lvl  HP STR MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES WExp                 Support
             Linde 6.91 23 10  11  6   11  4   8   7   E Sword, D Tome      C Fred
             Chrom 2.60 21 8   1   9   8   5   8   2   D Sword              C Sully/Lissa
         Frederick 1.12	bases                   D Sword/Axe, B Lance
             Sully 2.70	bases                   E Sword, D Lance     C Chrom
             Lissa 1.40	bases                                        C Chrom

[spoiler=Chapter 2, Shepherds]

There are a lot of enemies to kill here, so I run LindexFred straight up the middle with a Vulnerary, blasting things with Thunder (killing what she doubles, leaving at low health what she doesn't, and taking very little damage). SullyxChrom played clean-up, running behind and finishing off things. The enemies were usually content to attack SullyxChrom if they could; I kept them healthy with LissaxStahl and by abusing terrain and Switching frequently.

LindexFred took out the boss with ease, while Sully and Chrom grabbed whatever kills that they could get. I needed to use VirionxVaike a couple of times in other to chip something into ORKO range, but that's about the extent of what the scrubs did.

Linde is extremely fast now, well above her averages. Chrom is unfortunately a bit short of double-digit stat bonuses for his partner.

Turns: 4/14

5000G

Lvl  HP STR MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES WExp                 Support
             Linde 9.94 25 11  11  6   14  6   11  8   E Sword, D Tome      C Fred
             Chrom 3.50 22 9   1   9   9   6   9   3   D Sword              C Sully/Lissa
         Frederick 1.16	bases                   D Sword/Axe, B Lance
             Sully 3.90 21 7   1   8   9   7   7   2   E Sword, D Lance     C Chrom
             Lissa 1.80	bases                                        C Chrom

[spoiler=Chapter 3, Warrior Realm]

This was Frederick's chapter. The most efficient way to win this one (which is a boss kill), is to pair Kellam with Fred and have him crush the right-hand side. With Kellam, Fred OHKOs with Silver lance and takes 0 damage from everything. Except the Hammer guy, who leaves Fred with 4 HP (which is fine as long as he dies in retaliation, since not even the boss can hurt Fred). At any rate, Fred arrives in boss range by Turn 5, and either ORKOs with Silver, or OHKOs with Hammer (if he gained +STR on level).

Since Kellam starts on the left, this required some tricky movements. Chrom moves west, Talks for the recruit, Pairs up, Kellam moves east, Switches, Chrom passes Kellam to Miriel (and Pairs himself with Sully), Mirel walks over and passes Kellam to Fred, who runs right and begins his rampage. Whew.

I took the five turns afforded to me, to kill as much stuff on the left hand side as possible. I was unable to get Sumia a level, but did for Linde/Sully/Chrom. Even though it was a Kill Boss, realistically I was one kill away from a Rout just due to Javelin hijinks on the top floor.

Point of note: taking this chapter a little bit more slowly allows you to get a lot more training into Sumia, since she + Fred are a very good team. But alas, this is efficiency, not charity.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 5/19

Heroes: Chrom & Sully

5000G

Lvl   HP STR MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES WExp                 Support
             Linde 10.15 26 11  12  6   15  6   11  8   E Sword, D Tome      C Fred
             Chrom  4.25 22 9   2   9   9   6   9   3   D Sword              B Sully, C Lissa
         Frederick  2.41 29 13  2   12  10  6   15  4   D Sword/Axe, B Lance C Linde
             Sully  4.35 22 7   1   9   9   8   8   3   E Sword, D Lance     B Chrom
             Sumia  1.74 18 6   3   11  11  8   5   7   D Lance
             Lissa  2.60 17 2   6   5   5   9   4   4   E Staff              C Chrom

Shops are open now, so I changed the name of Linde's Fire time to "Aura". Thought I was kidding about the Linde thing, didn't you? I WAS NOT.

[spoiler=Chapter 4, Two Falchions]

Another episode of The Frederick Show. It just so happens that Fred Pairing with a 7MV unit (like Sumia) can make it juuuust far enough north to aggro "Marth", the two mages, a Knight, and a Hand Axe Guy during Enemy Phase. Sumia is unable to handle that much abuse, but Fred is equal to the task with a Javelin. He will almost die if everything hits (the mages hurt especially), but a Defense Tonic from the Ch3 shop would take care of a borderline situation. The rest of the army runs up the sides of the map. LindexKellam and SullyxChrom, armed with Swords to kill two more axe guys on Enemy Phase (or wound them, in Sully's case… her low STR is becoming a problem, I will need to prime the pump or upgrade her weaponry).

The two mages are dispatched easily, the Knight goes to half health, and the Hand Axe guy is regretting waking up in the morning. A Javelin + a Silver Lance hit is just enough to kill "Marth", so that's exactly what happens next. Sully and Linde clean up the wounded.

A two-turn clear (on Enemy Phase) was actually possible here if I had positioned Linde in a good spot (there was a full-health Knight and Hand Axe Guy still left), but the Knight would have required a Dual Attack to finish off, so I just wounded them so that Sumia and Chrom could get kills.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 3/22

Heroes: Frederick & Sumia

5000G

Linde 10.75 26 11  12  6   15  6   11  8   D Sword, D Tome      C Fred
             Chrom  4.73 22 9   2   9   9   6   9   3   D Sword              B Sully, C Lissa
         Frederick  2.99 29 13  2   12  10  6   15  4   D Sword/Axe, A Lance C Linde
             Sully  5.16 23 8   1   9   10  9   8   3   E Sword, D Lance     B Chrom
             Sumia  2.17 19 7   3   12  12  8   5   8   D Lance
            Kellam  5.50 21 10  0   7   5   3   12  2   D Lance              C Chrom
             Lissa  2.60 17 2   6   5   5   9   4   4   E Staff              

Very glad that Sully finally got STR, and that Sumia got a level. Laughing at poor Frederick only getting to 2.99 instead of level three. No support upgrades to speak of. Time to move forward with the first Paralogue, to recruit Donnel.

[spoiler=Paralogue 1, Sickle to Sword]

This was a busy chapter, with lots of things going on at once. I bought a STR Tonic and Wind tome (named Aura, naturally) before beginning.

First, it's a Kill Boss chapter, lousy with axes and archers. Someone who can use swords, never die, murder everything in their path, and do it with high mobility is preferred for the assassination job. This means FrederickxSumia. Fred has the durability and MV, and Sumia allows him to double and clear space.

Second, I have to train Donnel. Fortunately he can level up off of two kills: the closest starting Fighter, and the Thief. Stahl was used as a Pair-up bot for HIT/STR/DEF. LindexKellam (purely for Veteran bonus) weakened the first Fighter, and DonnelxStahl killed him. SumiaxFred murder the Archer (Sumia actually ORKOed with an Iron Lance at level 2; gogo overpowered Pair Up supports). This leaves only the Thief, who will double but not ORKO Donnel (thanks Stahl), to be further chunked + killed on Turn 2, at which point I can forget that Donnel exists.

Third, I have to acquire the Rescue staff in this chapter somehow. This involves getting someone to the treasure room with a key, as the Thief won't steal it. FredxSumia are busy, so this is a job for SullyxChrom. I feed Sully a STR tonic (150g, why not), which puts her at ~80% Bronze Sword ORKO on everything here (doubles at 100% accuracy, and 55% chance of Chrom Dual Attack), or 100% ORKO if she uses her lance. This was necessary due to being a couple combats away from D Swords (otherwise I would have just had her use Iron). C'est la vie.

Finally, Linde took Donnel to the north, and stood on the right side of the boss room. The only purpose of this was to draw the two archers over and kill them with Aura; if you don't clear them out, they can get in Fred's way when he goes in for the kill. 2-range attackers blocking forward progress can be a pain on this map, due to the narrow corridors everywhere.

This was an extremely productive chapter for both Fred and Sully, who got a lot of kills (Chrom can't double, so unfortunately he is falling behind a bit now). Also, even though Sumia as a unit is god-awful on this map (arrows and axes everywhere), I did give her the boss kill. I also managed to get both chest items (Rescue and Killer Lance).

I'd like to point one thing out here: Donnel slowed this clear measurably. The need to pull SumiaxFred to clear space, instead of having Linde just wtfpwn the starting pack herself, cost a couple turns easy.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 8/30

Funds: 4400G

Linde 11.67 27 12  13  7   16  7   11  8   D Sword, D Tome      C Fred
             Chrom  5.33 23 9   2   9   9   6   10  3   C Sword              A Sully, C Lissa
         Frederick  3.58 30 13  2   13  10  6   16  5   D Sword/Axe, A Lance C Sumia/Linde
             Sully  8.17 24 10  2   10  11  11  10  3   D Sword, C Lance     A Chrom
             Sumia  3.21 20 7   3   13  13  8   5   8   D Lance              C Fred
            Donnel  2.11 17 4   0   2   4   12  4   1   E Lance
             Lissa  3.20 18 2   7   6   5   9   4   5   E Staff              C Chrom

Post chapter, after advancing SullyxChrom to A (that will be huge for their combat) and SumiaxFred to C, I took Donnel's lance and re-named it Two Years TE.

[spoiler=Chapter 5, The Exalt and the King]

It's becoming very frustrating to train Donnel. This chapter can be cleared as early as Turn 3 Enemy Phase if you have a strong enough set of units (Rout condition). However, since once again I was forced to use half of my army to set up kills for Donnel, as a result I was never able to stay ahead of the reinforcements until Turn 6.

This chapter was Chrom's moment to shine. Chrom's early woes due to being under leveled, are being completely papered over by Sully's now-ludicrous support bonuses: +5 STR, +4 SKL, +4 SPD, +1 LCK, and +5 DEF. Chrom doubles and ORKOs basically everything that's not a Myrmidon. The axe-users don't stand a chance, nor do the Wyvern Riders, and even the mages die before retaliation about 65-75% of the time, due to a high Dual Attack chance from Sully (or a crit). So as you can imagine, ChromxSully went ape on everything that was in reach.

Not to take anything away from the other powerhouse pair, naturally. FrederickxSumia did well, with Sumia able to get a couple of kills before her HP started running low (which forced a permanent Switch). The ability to fly up the cliffs and get maximum Enemy Phase exposure for Fred on Turn 2 was extremely useful for putting out as much killing power as possible (including aggroing the boss), while ChromxSully caught up. Sumia's Dual attacks are very unreliable, so Fred needed to use an Iron Axe for the most part to guarantee ORKO/2HKOs.

Meanwhile, on the base of the cliff, another complicated set of maneuvers had to be employed to get Donnel some EXP. The time, I had him use a Defense Tonic and Pair Up with Kellam on a forest. This allowed him to survive and kill two Axe users on Enemy Phase (which Linde had previously weakened to 2 HP). Later, I was able to feed him a Dark Mage that Linde beat almost to death, and that was the extent of what I was able to safely stuff down his throat.

Donnel is really bad. Got a lame level-up, too.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 6/36

Funds: 3800G

Linde 12.62 28 12  13  7   16  7   11  9   D Sword, C Tome      C Fred/Stahl
             Chrom  9.23 27 10  3   11  10  10  11  5   C Sword              A Sully, C Lissa
         Frederick  4.74 31 13  2   14  10  7   16  5   D Swd, C Axe, A Lnce C Sumia/Linde
             Sully  8.47 24 10  2   10  11  11  10  3   D Sword, C Lance     A Chrom
             Sumia  4.31 20 7   3   14  14  8   5   9   D Lance              C Fred
            Donnel  3.31 18 4   0   3   4   13  4   1   E Lance

I bought aforementioned DEF Tonic, and also got a STR Tonic just in case it's needed later. Linde and Stahl now have a C support, even though he's just a Veteran bot. Sheesh.

[spoiler=Paralogue 2, The Secret Seller]

This is a Rout map with an Ally Anna and a village. Keys to the chapter: maximizing Enemy Phase, securing Physic from the village, getting some kills into Pothead Donnel. Careful target selection during Player Phase is important here, because there are a large number of enemy units that either 1) attack at 2-range, or 2) don't attack at all. The mages and archers are one thing, but there are also a number of Barbarians that will ignore your units even when they are in range to attack (they will just kamikaze at the village; the two Barbs east of the bridge near where you start have this behavior).

Donnel's training takes the same flavor as last chapter: LindexStahl chunk a couple of Barbarians down to extremely low health, and DonnelxKellam swoop in to finish them off, while hiding in forests to try to cut down on damage. I also had Donnel kill one of the archers while Maribelle and Lissa took turns tanking hits for him (this works better than you might think, since they can heal each other). It took the entirety of the rest of the chapter for him to kill the guy, but he got there eventually.

While kindergarten was in session, SumiaxFred swept east/north in an L-shape, killing mages and barbarians as they went along. This was important because of the barb in the lower right-hand corner; it costs time to get him if you can't fly, since he is slow. Fortunately Sumia is in ORKO range of everything here (and only a Tonic away if she was not), so this was academic. They ended the map by visiting the village for a Physic.

SullyxChrom, on the other hand, used the bridge and went after the boss (she is the only person who can both double and use Swords). Sully had my javelin this chapter (which I can use freely since they will be buyable after completion) to deal with mage/archer/boss who can attack at range. It took some clever positioning, but they had a couple of turns to deal with the boss pack, so it was no problem.

Linde wasn't able to do much because of Donnel, but I did manage to scrape together a couple kills for her. This was a 6-turn chapter, but it would have been a 5-turn had I the foresight to give Donnel either a mild forge or a Tonic (literally my only action on the final Player Phase was to finish off an archer with 2 HP). Not gonna re-run the thing for something so lame.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 6/42

Linde 13.35 29 13  14  7   16  8   12  9   D Sword, C Tome      C Fred, B Stahl
             Chrom  9.50 27 10  3   11  10  10  11  5   C Sword              S Sully, C Lissa
         Frederick  4.96 31 13  2   14  10  7   16  5   D Swd, C Axe, A Lnce B Sumia, C Linde
             Sully 11.12 27 12  2   12  11  13  11  3   C Sword/Lance        S Chrom
             Sumia  5.76 21 8   3   15  15  8   5   9   D Lance              B Fred
            Donnel  4.81 19 5   0   4   5   14  4   1   E Lance              C Kellam
            Kellam  5.50 21 10  0   7   5   3   12  2   D Lance              C Chrom/Donnel
             Lissa  5.03 19 3   9   6   6   9   4   7   D Staff              C Chrom

Notable events in weapon ranks: Sully is now C in Sword/Lance. She can use both of my Killers, which might turn out to be handy. Sumia is almost C, but not quite.

This was a support extravaganza, with no fewer than four supports built (one of which was S-rank ChromxSully). Still nothing for LindexDonnel, due to the constraints of already having to use her to weaken things for him to gum to death. Linde is B rank with Stahl now, which I consider high hilarity.

[spoiler=Chapter 6, Foreseer]

Another day, another Rout. I'm putting the kibosh on serious Donnel training this time; he'll get what he gets, I really need to work on his support so at least the Dual Attacks are consistent. Plus, Linde has some ground to make up. Prior to beginning, I bought a pair of fresh javelins, fed Sumia a DEF tonic (she needs it), and gave Donnel a STR tonic (also needs it). Keys for this chapter: get to the boss quickly, recruit Gaius, pick up the Skill book, and fight at 2-range whenever necessary.

Sully and Chrom take the left side, due to Chrom's starting position. The pair does not double Gaius, so I position SullyxChrom such that 1) they can javelin-kill a barbarian, 2) kill two mages on EP, and 3) get Gaius to sit on a Pillar so that he doesn't die. They have such absurd ORKO potential because of crit and Dual Strike, that this is no problem at all. Turn 2, Chrom recruits Gaius (who runs to a waiting Stahl, for a ferry to the chest room), gives Sully a stronger weapon and drops her south of him (this sets up another Enemy Phase kill for her). They mostly hold the line here and get kills for themselves.

Sumia and Fred take the right hand side. I want to have Sumia face as much combat as possible (but since she faces WTD on two Axe-guys, this is what the DEF tonic is for: so that she survives if they both hit), so she flies with Fred down to a pillar and blasts a barbarian with a javelin. She can end up taking a lot of damage here, but won't die even if everything hits her, and it's a lucrative Enemy Phase if she gets a few kills (and with doubling and 50%+ Dual Strike, she will). After surviving the onslaught, she flies towards the boss and tags out for Fred, who can repeat the same thing next turn with Hand Axes (facing lance users now). Ultimately this gets them to Validar range on Turn 3.

Last but not least, Linde holds the middle with Kellam, Donnel, both healers, Panne, and Stahl. In other words, the usual bit where I dedicate half of my army towards keeping the dumbass Villager alive. Long story short, I do manage to get him a complete level, although Linde does the majority of the heavy lifting.

The chapter ends on Enemy Phase, Turn four. I ended up giving the boss kill to Frederick, intentionally, since Validar is worth a great deal of EXP. Gaius had no trouble reaching the chest in time.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 4/46

Funds: 6812G

Linde 14.82 29 14  14  8   17  9   12  9   D Sword, C Tome      STACK OVERFLOW
             Chrom  9.99 27 10  3   11  10  10  11  5   C Sword              S Sully, C Lissa
         Frederick  6.24 33 13  2   16  12  7   16  6   D Swd, B Axe, A Lnce B Sumia, C Linde
             Sully 12.89 28 12  2   13  11  13  11  3   C Sword/Lance        S Chrom
             Sumia  7.16 21 9   4   16  17  10  5   10  C Lance              B Fred
            Donnel  5.86 20 5   0   5   6   15  5   1   D Lance              C Kellam/Linde
            Kellam  5.50 21 10  0   7   5   3   12  2   D Lance              C Chrm/Don/Linde
             Lissa  5.43 19 3   9   6   6   9   4   7   D Staff              C Chrom

Fred got two levels and finally scored Luna. Donnel had a good level-up and finally hit D lances. Thanks to the rumble in the middle, Linde built C supports with all three of Donnel, Lissa, and Kellam.

[spoiler=Chapter 7, Incursion]

Rout. Keys to this chapter: use Player Phase to efficiently remove 2-range threats, do the majority of the work with Swords on Enemy Phase, and watch out for the Hammer barbarian. I don't bother deploying anyone but my primary three pairs, since it's too hard to protect healers (I use items instead). It's relatively easy to focus down the archers and the Hand Axe guy due to the mobility of Sully/Fred, and the reach of Linde.

It's actually possible to 2-turn this map if you can kill the Boss on Enemy Phase. For my team, it required that either Chrom get double procs of Dual Strike (only Sully could double the boss), or Sully equips the Killer Lance and lands a crit. I didn't consider it important enough to burn the Killer for, so I just took my chances with the Dual Strike (got one of two) and just finished the boss as the last enemy on Turn 3 once Cordelia showed up.

Donnel wasn't able to get in any kills here because it was too hard to avoid him getting murdered, but he did proc a Dual Strike behind Linde, and built up a lot of support points, at least.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 3/49

Heroes: Linde & Donnel

Funds: 12,209G

Linde 16.79 31 16  15  9   19  9   14  10  D Sword, C Tome      STACK OVERFLOW
             Chrom 10.96 28 11  3   11  11  11  11  6   B Sword              S Sully, C Lissa
         Frederick  6.90 33 13  2   16  12  7   16  6   D Swd, B Axe, A Lnce A Sumia, C Linde
             Sully 14.19 29 14  3   15  13  15  12  4   B Sword, C Lance     S Chrom
             Sumia  7.16 21 9   4   16  17  10  5   10  C Lance              A Fred
            Donnel  5.96 20 5   0   5   6   15  5   1   D Lance              C Kellam/Linde
            Kellam  5.50 21 10  0   7   5   3   12  2   D Lance              C Chrm/Don/Linde

FredxSumia is now A rank. They've already started consistently Dual Striking for each other, and this will just reinforce that. It's starting to become useful, since Fred is no longer overpowering people, and sometimes faces 3HKO situations with ordinary weapons. Linde is running out of headroom; I will need to either reclass or promote her soon. Looking at Chrom's stat distribution, I feel like I should play 11 as my lucky number. Sold a bunch of garbage that I don't need anymore.

Sumia was relatively useless in this chapter, due to axes and bows everywhere, but it's time to check in on one of the reasons that I started this playlog in the first place. A small chart here speaks a thousand words:

Sumia  7.46 21 9   4   16  17  10  5   10  C Lance              A Fred
          Cordelia  7.00 25 9   3   13  12  9   8   8   C Lance              Nobody

[spoiler=Paralogue 3, A Strangled Peace]

First, a little housekeeping: stock up on STR/DEF tonics for the future, and rename Donnel's Iron Lance to "Horio Crutch". Linde also has another Aura tome.

Rout. Keys to this chapter: secure the Blessed Bow kill everything, and get someone to the boss quickly in the meantime. The boss is in an annoying location on this map (Mountain), and packs a Silver Lance and Elixir with high SPD, so he's a tough target.

LindexDonnel take the closest enemies near the village, since they have the least mobility. SullyxChrom cross the bridge and handle the majority of the enemies on the western edge of the map, and CordeliaxKellam do what they can in the south forest (later helping out west). For the boss in the southeast corner, I need someone who double him with WTA. I don't have one of those people, so I'll be sending SumiaxFred with a Killer Lance instead. Doubling with WTN and a high Dual Strike/crit chance is Close Enough™.

I had to do a lot of unpaired fighting in this chapter, due to some movement constraints. The downside of fighting like this is that you lose the Pair Up bonuses, but in exchange you can piggy-back a little further than normal if not attacking, and you maintain the support and Dual Strike/Guard bonuses during Enemy Phase. This tactic allowed me to get CordeliaxKellam to face combat in the first Turn that they couldn't otherwise, fly SumiaxFred a little closer to the boss than normally possible, and to draw a Barbarian to Chrom on the last turn that would have been ordinarily out of range.

Managed to earn my Robe, Log, and Ladle. I let the villagers keep their bow.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 4/53

Funds: 11,909G

Linde 18.13 32 17  17  11  21  11  15  10  D Sword, B Tome      B Donnel + others
             Chrom 12.28 30 13  3   12  13  11  13  6   B Sword              S Sully, C Lissa
         Frederick  7.18 34 14  2   17  12  7   16  6   C Swd, B Axe, A Lnce A Sumia, C Linde
             Sully 14.81 29 14  3   15  13  15  12  4   B Sword, B Lance     S Chrom
             Sumia  8.23 22 9   4   17  18  11  5   10  C Lance              A Fred
            Donnel  6.44 21 6   0   6   7   16  6   2   D Lance              B Linde, C Kellam
          Cordelia  8.33 26 10  4   14  13  9   9   8   C Lance              One-way Chrom obsession
            Kellam  5.66 21 10  0   7   5   3   12  2   D Lance              C Chrm/Don/Linde

Donnel still gets 2HKO'ed by everything, but he's almost dealing double digit damage now to people with crappy DEF. He also upgraded to a B support with Linde at the end of the chapter, so maybe I'll start seeing some consistency in Dual Strikes, that will allow a little more creativity with his training. Cordy landed her SPD proc on level-up, so she's All Set™ for the duration of the journey.

[spoiler=Chapter 8, The Grimleal]

Rout… in the desert! Keys to this chapter: get Nowi out of danger, keep 2-range weapons handy at all times, and secure all three village items (Rescue, Second Seal, Master Seal). The desert is lousy with mages, relatively light on axes, completely barren of archers, and the terrain situation isn't good for foot units. In other words, it's Pegasus Time™.

Deployments: LindexDonnel stay near the starting location to fight what they can, with LissaxMaribelle nearby for healing and visiting the Rescue village. SullyxChrom go the only place they can, which is down the middle where there are Plains instead of desert, rocking a Javelin. CordeliaxKellam divert a bit to the western side in order to take care of the two mages and the barbarian (if she uses Player Phase to attack the axe-guy, on Enemy Phase all three will die). Nowi and Gregor Pair Up and start fighting their way towards the Master Seal village (she 2HKOs and ORKOs with Gregor, so this is straightforward). Finally, SumiaxFrederick coast right down the center, using the Separate trick to get some extra distance.

Once Cordy wraps up her assignment, she swings around to help Nowi secure the village. SumiaxFred and SullyxChrom make their way south, wrecking everything in their way with Javelins. Sumia takes an Elwind directly to the face (zero effs given), makes a brief stop to pick up the Second Seal, and then swings back around to ORKO the boss in a completely overkill fashion with a Killer Lance (it was a legit 2HKO, but she got the crit anyway, and blew him away). Chrom mops up the remaining targets on Enemy Phase. Fin.

I got four turns, but five turns is likely if you aren't able to get some critical mass combination of dodges or "Gregor Time!" with Nowi, since after a few hits she will need to heal herself. Although Cordelia being in the neighborhood is extremely helpful here, since she has two Player Phases to donate to the cause and can cover a kill or two. Nowi easily got 2 levels here.

Donnel managed to kite a barbarian for a while and net a kill on him. Linde got nothing but support points. Meh.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 4/57

Funds: 11,909G

Linde 18.13 32 17  17  11  21  11  15  10  D Sword, B Tome      B Donnel + others
               Chrom 13.18 31 14  3   13  14  11  13  6   B Sword              S Sully, C Lissa
           Frederick  7.24 34 14  2   17  12  7   16  6   C Swd, B Axe, A Lnce A* Sumia, C Linde
               Sully 16.14 31 14  4   16  15  16  13  5   B Sword, B Lance     S Chrom
               Sumia 10.33 24 9   5   19  19  13  6   12  C Lance              A* Fred
              Donnel  7.25 22 6   1   7   8   17  7   3   D Lance              B Linde, C Kellam
            Cordelia  9.43 27 11  5   15  14  9   9   8   C Lance              C Kellam
              Kellam  5.77 21 10  0   7   5   3   12  2   D Lance              C Cordelia + others
               Lissa  5.63 19 3   9   6   6   9   4   7   D Staff              C Chrom
No One Will Interfere  5.15 20 6   0   3   4   9   4   3   -                    C Gregor
              Gregor 10.10 30 12  0   13  11  8   10  2   C Sword              C N.O.W.I.

I chose not to advance SumiaxFred to S-rank for now, to leave open the option of marrying her to someone else in the future. The only drawback is the loss of +10% Strike, +3% Guard, and +5 HIT, which I don't consider to be a significant handicap, since I am not relying on miracles in this playlog.

Got a SKL, LCK, and a bunch of SPD tonics here, just in case I need them later on.

[spoiler=Chapter 9, Emmeryn]

Another day, another desert Rout. Keys to the chapter: recruit Libra and Tharja, eliminate archer threats to the fliers, get a Hammer to the boss, and finish the chapter before reinforcements show up. I stocked up on a lot of Tonics (RES and MAG this time) plus Javelins prior to beginning.

Right near the start, there's an archer in a dangerous position. He can OHKO Sumia (even with Fred) and severely injure Cord, so he has to die. Problem: you need flight to get there, at least 20mt with a 1-2 range weapon in order to kill him cleanly and counter the mages, plus a strong enough DEF/RES + HP combination to survive said mages and other assorted bad guys. Solution: CordeliaxKellam with a STR tonic. Fred is passable at this, but the sands slow him down the following turn, and I need him for the boss (Hammertime), so Corde it is.

SullyxChrom have two people to recruit, so I run them down the side of the wall (where the tiles are Plains rather than Desert), while LindexDonnel and NowixGregor toy around with a couple of enemies near the beginning (they are going nowhere fast due to the terrain here).

Cordelia takes a lot of damage, but she houses everything that attacked her. For the rest of the chapter, she just finishes off weakened enemies (or ones that can't retaliate). Fred makes his way towards the boss, Hand Axe ready (for the archers), and runs in for the turn 3 Hammertime. I position ChromxSully so that Libra recruits himself, and then just set up a Separated situation for Tharja to whiff an Elthunder for her subsequent recruitment. Wyvern Rider helpfully suicided on Chrom during Enemy Phase for a four turn clear.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 4/61

Funds: 8,859G

Linde 18.13 32 17  17  11  21  11  15  10  D Sword, B Tome      A Donnel + others
               Chrom 13.83 31 14  3   13  14  11  13  6   B Sword              S Sully, C Lissa
           Frederick  8.14 35 14  2   17  13  7   16  6   C Swd, A Axe/Lance   A* Sumia, C Linde
               Sully 16.34 31 14  4   16  15  16  13  5   B Sword, B Lance     S Chrom
               Sumia 10.53 24 9   5   19  19  13  6   12  C Lance              A* Fred
              Donnel  8.12 23 7   1   8   9   18  7   4   D Lance              A Linde, C Kellam
            Cordelia 11.09 29 12  6   15  15  10  10  8   C Lance              C Kellam
              Kellam  5.83 21 10  0   7   5   3   12  2   D Lance              C Cordelia + others
               Lissa  6.03 20 3   10  7   6   10  4   7   D Staff              C Chrom
No One Will Interfere  5.70 20 6   0   3   4   9   4   3   -                    C Gregor
              Gregor 10.10 30 12  0   13  11  8   10  2   C Sword              C N.O.W.I.

Frederick's combat is REALLY teetering on the edge at this point. He's starting to take real damage from enemies, and struggles to ORKO without powerful weapons. About the only thing that he has left is doubling (thanks to Sumia), but her Dual Strikes are very weak for the same reason that his primary attacks are (low STR). I think that this train will be stopping soon.

N.O.W.I couldn't accomplish much here due to the terrain, and Linde was once again on babysitting duty, but I was able to get a level into Donnel, by virtue of the fact that he can actually take a hit or two now, and is relatively safe as a the Lead unit if I am careful. LindexDonnel is finally at Rank A. Don is almost a real person now.

[spoiler=Paralogue 4, Anna the Merchant]

This Rout map is enemy-dense, with narrow passageways everywhere and impassable walls; it's not a great battleground for the fliers. Keys for the chapter: recruit Anna, secure the important treasure (Arms Scroll, Killing Edge, Large Bullion… we don't care about Mend), and find a way to deal with the fast/moving/2-range boss. B

attle prep: give a MAG tonic to Libra (to extend his Rescue range), and feed Nowi the Seraph Robe and some DEF/RES Tonics.

I am not interested in babysitting two units, so this chapter will be used to make Nowi an instantly viable combatant. I clear out the entire right hand side, give her a Door Key and some heals, and let her and Gregor handle it themselves. The durability boosters were given to her so that she can survive six attacks (three mages, two archers, one barbarian) on Enemy Phase. Since Nowi 2HKOs and counters everything, I can heal on the move with her. This turns out to be Super Effective™, as you'll see in the stats, since she gained five levels easily.

Sumia will be my boss-killer for this map, since while she has WTD with a Killer Lance, she doubles and 4HKOs when Paired with Fred. I overload the left-hand side in order to clear a path for SumiaxFred to get there (at full health), opening chests along the way with Gaius and Anna. I recruit Anna on turn 1 by Rescuing her with Libra (I needed the +2 MAG for the extra range), Talking with Chrom, trading Anna a Rescue staff, Pairing Up with Sully, and then having Anna move forward and Rescue Libra (not for any movement reasons, but to get him out of enemy range). CordeliaxKellam stay behind in order to deal with the myrms, barbs, and the mage. Donnel is able to ORKO mages now, so he's very nearly a useful unit.

I won't bog this write-up down with the gritty details; suffice it to say that I let the enemy Thief open the Arms Scroll chest for me, before OHKO'ing him with Nowi on Turn 6. Sumia was easily able to handle the boss the turn before, thanks to Fred weakening him first with a Hand Axe on Enemy Phase.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 6/67

Heroes: Gregor & Nowi

Funds: 17,949G

Linde 19.09 32 17  18  12  22  11  15  10  D Sword, B Tome      A Donnel + others
               Chrom 13.98 31 14  3   13  14  11  13  6   B Sword              S Sully, C Lissa
           Frederick  8.81 35 14  2   17  13  7   16  6   C Swd, A Axe/Lance   A* Sumia, C Linde
               Sully 16.85 31 14  4   16  15  16  13  5   B Sword, B Lance     S Chrom
               Sumia 11.91 24 9   6   19  20  14  7   12  B Lance              A* Fred
              Donnel  9.01 24 8   1   9   9   19  8   4   C Lance              A Linde, C Kellam
            Cordelia 12.59 30 12  6   16  15  10  10  8   C Lance              B Kellam
              Kellam  6.42 22 10  0   8   6   3   13  2   D Lance              B Cordelia + others
No One Will Interfere 10.32 31 10  1   6   7   11  7   5   -                    B Gregor
              Gregor 10.50 30 12  0   13  11  8   10  2   C Sword              B N.O.W.I.
               Libra  1.91 39 14  16  13  14  10  11  16  C Axe/Staff
                Anna  1.56 36 12  17  23  22  26  8   10  C Sword, D Staff

Lots of support upgrades this chapter, due to fighting in such close proximity. Sumia hit both 20 SPD and B Lances, which will help the combat of both her and Fred. Donnel is C Lance now, and only a level away from reclass. Lissa is now retired; never did manage to get her to C rank staves.

[spoiler=Chapter 10, Renewal]

It doesn't get much more straightforward than this Kill Boss map. The fastest that anyone can run to the boss (no Rescue-skipping) is four turns, even for an 8MV unit, so that time can be spent on getting EXP into people. There aren't even any archers or mages to worry about here.

I happened to send CordeliaxKellam up the first path, SullyxChrom (my boss-killers, since Chrom doubles with Swords) in the middle, NowixGregor and LindexDonnel along the bottom, and Sumia playing free agent and hunting down the Thieves (a OHKO with a Steel Lance, usually).

Turns (Chapter/Total): 4/71

Linde 19.35 32 17  18  12  22  11  15  10  D Sword, B Tome      S Donnel + others
               Chrom 15.06 32 16  3   13  14  12  14  6   A Sword              S Sully, C Lissa
           Frederick  8.87 35 14  2   17  13  7   16  6   C Swd, A Axe/Lance   A* Sumia, C Linde
               Sully 18.67 33 15  4   18  15  17  15  5   B Sword, A Lance     S Chrom
               Sumia 13.87 24 10  6   19  21  16  8   12  B Lance              A* Fred
              Donnel  9.49 24 8   1   9   9   19  8   4   C Lance              S Linde, C Kellam
            Cordelia 14.32 32 13  7   17  16  11  10  9   B Lance              B Kellam
              Kellam  7.25 23 10  1   8   7   3   13  2   D Lance              B Cordelia + others
No One Will Interfere 11.15 33 11  1   6   7   11  7   5   -                    B Gregor
              Gregor 10.60 30 12  0   13  11  8   10  2   C Sword              B N.O.W.I.
               Libra  1.91 39 14  16  13  14  10  11  16  C Axe/Staff
                Anna  1.56 36 12  17  23  22  26  8   10  C Sword, D Staff

I probably have too many units being trained here, but I'll keep this going until it seems like it will be detrimental. The nice part about spreading out the EXP so much, is that I haven't used a Seal on a single person yet.

LindexDonnel is now S-rank. I threw up in my mouth a little. I think that it's safe to call Donnel an actual unit at this point; he still gets 2-3HKOed, but is not doubled, and sometimes doubles himself for halfway decent damage. He ought to be reclassable soon.

[spoiler=Chapter 11, Mad King Gangrel]

It's not entirely clear to me why there are two treasure chests randomly in the middle of a battlefield. Keys for this chapter: get to Gangrel and Rout before reinforcements arrive, secure both chests, and watch out for the two promoted enemies.

Nowi is borderline doubling and needs some EXP, so I am hitting her with a SPD Tonic and having her battle the big pack of mages in the lower right portion of the map; with Olivia helping her to get there sooner. If you blast her with a shot of Ward before she goes, everything down there (Sage included) barely scratches her. Just as before, this strategy is very lucrative, since it allows me to send the entire rest of my army to the left/middle to deal with the enemy Hero and the impossibly-fast 24 SPD Gangrel.

This is a four-turn for no other reason than that's how long it takes to get Anna to both chests. The battle is basically over by Turn three, realistically.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 4/75

Linde 19.95 32 17  18  12  22  11  15  10  D Sword, B Tome      S Donnel + others
               Chrom 15.33 32 16  3   13  14  12  14  6   A Sword              S Sully, C Lissa
           Frederick  8.93 35 14  2   17  13  7   16  6   C Swd, A Axe/Lance   S Sumia, C Linde
               Sully 18.76 33 15  4   18  15  17  15  5   B Sword, A Lance     S Chrom
               Sumia 16.33 27 12  8   21  23  19  8   13  B Lance              S Fred
              Donnel  9.49 24 8   1   9   9   19  8   4   C Lance              S Linde, C Kellam
            Cordelia 15.32 33 14  7   18  16  11  10  10  B Lance              A Kellam
              Kellam  7.49 23 10  1   8   7   3   13  2   D Lance              A Cordelia + others
No One Will Interfere 15.06 38 14  4   8   8   14  9   9   -                    A Gregor
              Gregor 11.16 31 13  0   14  11  8   11  2   C Sword              A N.O.W.I.
               Libra  2.37 40 14  16  14  15  10  11  17  C Axe/Staff
                Anna  1.90 36 12  17  23  22  26  8   10  C Sword, D Staff

Corde and Nowi both upgraded their supports to A-rank. I also finally bit the bullet and made S-rank SumiaxFrederick; Sumia is getting strong in her own right, so Fred can serve as Support bot and/or arrow pincushion if he happens to fall off a cliff.

[spoiler=Chapter 12, The Seacomers]

I promoted Linde to Grandmaster. I thought about reclassing to something else first, but Veteran should be good enough to keep the EXP flowing, and I'd like to get Rally Spectrum sooner rather than later.

This chapter is Rout, with several promoted enemies; there's a big difficulty spike here. But before I get into the chapter's strategy, I'd like to share this specially-modified chart, which has my best combatants listed, adding in their support and other stat bonuses.

HP ST MG SK SP LK DF RS 
   Linde 36 20 21 19 24 17 17 12
   Chrom 32 21 3  17 18 13 19 6
Frederick 35 15 2  19 20 8  16 12
   Sully 33 16 4  19 21 23 16 5
   Sumia 27 18 8  22 26 19 14 13
Cordelia 33 19 7  18 18 11 17 10
N.O.W.I. 38 23 9  16 16 14 23 16

Notice how Nowi is beating the snot out of the rest of the army, so long as she doubles. This is with only two real chapters worth of training (Paralogue 4 and Ch 11). She wants a SPD Tonic for this chapter (some of the Cavaliers have 13 SPD), but once her normal SPD gets past the tipping point, she's going to be ORKO'ing and never dying. The only unit that comes close to this is Chrom (against physical), and he can't counter at 2-range. Cordelia may begin approaching this eventually, but it depends on some good level-ups.

Anyway, as you can probably guess, I'm going to use Nowi heavily as a front-liner. If you blow apart one of the Knights blocking the two-wide spot near the start, re-move Nowi with Dance, running her as deep as possible (need to Rescue Olivia after that), you can actually get her into a position where she is in aggro range of:

• 10 Cavaliers (she ORKO's 100% of them)
  • 5 Knights (67% ORKO, due to crits and Gregor Time)
  • 1 Bow Knight (2RKO)
  • 1 Silver Lance Paladin (from the ship, 3-4RKO)

… and they are completely incapable of killing her. All of the Cavaliers plus people with 2-range weapons either tink or deal 1-2 damage. Only the Steel Lance Knights actually injure her (4 damage), at less than 50% displayed hit. The Paladin with the Silver Lance admittedly does 9 damage at 59% listed hit. Which would be a problem if there were, say, four of those guys. I don't even bother using a DEF tonic here.

This allows me to focus fire on the left with more units. CordeliaxKellam and ChromxSully are going to fight the majority of that knot of mounted units on the immediate left (facing a Paladin, two Knights, and four Cavaliers), since both of them have enough durability to reasonably survive without DEF tonics. Cherche can hang a little bit back in order to ORKO the Beastkiller Knight on Enemy Phase (need this later for the hard targets). There are two lonely Knights on the right that Nowi won't draw over, so I send LindexDonnel to deal with them.

And so it goes. There are a few small tactical decisions that need to be made here (kill the Elixir Bow Knight with Player Phase before he heals himself or trades to other people, use Beastkiller on the tough Paladins, promote Sully to Paladin herself mid-chapter for the stat bonuses and to draw out the left-side Bow Knight, use Rescue on Olivia to get her into good Dance spots etc), but this is otherwise a by the book clear. Donnel finally manages to hit level 10 at some point, so I dumped my Second Seal and made him a Fighter (not going to take my chances with Merc, he's far enough behind as it is).

Whew. That was a short, but extremely active chapter.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 4/79

Funds: 39,589G

Linde  1.38 36 20  21  14  24  11  17  12  D Sword, B Tome      S Donnel + others
               Chrom 16.89 32 16  3   14  15  13  15  6   A Sword              S Sully
           Frederick  8.99 35 14  2   17  13  7   16  6   C Swd, A Axe/Lance   S Sumia, C Linde
               Sully  2.93 42 20  5   21  17  18  19  12  B Sword, A Lance     S Chrom
               Sumia 17.10 28 12  8   21  24  20  8   13  B Lance              S Fred
              Donnel  1.00 34 16  1   14  14  20  12  5   D Axe                S Linde, C Kellam
            Cordelia 17.38 35 15  8   18  17  13  11  10  B Lance              A Kellam
              Kellam  7.55 23 10  1   8   7   3   13  2   D Lance              A Cordelia + others
No One Will Interfere 21.63 45 18  7   13  10  15  15  11  -                    A Gregor
              Gregor 12.24 32 13  1   15  11  8   11  2   C Sword              A N.O.W.I.
                Anna  2.85 37 12  18  24  22  27  9   10  C Sword, D Staff

I wish I had been able to reclass Donnel sooner than this; Hammertime would have been useful. C'est la vie. No supports after this chapter, not even NowixGregor for some reason. Speaking of Nowi, she is technically four-levels SPD-screwed at this point, although it's not any kind of problem at the moment because of supports/Tonics.

Promotion round-up: Linde to Grandmaster, Sully to Paladin, Donnel to Fighter. Dropped my Arms Scroll on Donnel.

[spoiler=Chapter 13, Of Sacred Blood]

This is a straightforward two-turn chapter; all that's required is to get someone up to the boss that can handle them. Everyone else gets a couple turns to take whatever kills that they are able to.

I sent LindexDonnel; since she doubles and hits RES, it's very easy to take out the boss. Turn 1 gets her close (and a bunch of kills), Turn 2 she can fire up at the bridge, and during Enemy Phase the boss will helpfully commit suicide on her.

Meanwhile, I fly SumiaxFrederick to the west fort to tank a few hits and maybe get some EXP into Fred (too many bows for Sumia to be the Lead unit). SullyxChrom and CordeliaxKellam each take out one of the bottom archers (so that Cord can stay out), and share the axe/sword guys left in the bottom part of the map. Nowi kills off a Myrmidon at the bottom of the east ramp with the help of Olivia, and positions herself to take out an axe guy on Enemy Phase. Turn 2 Player Phase finds everyone finishing off whatever they can. Fin.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 2/81

Funds: 35,229G

Linde  1.38 36 20  21  14  24  11  17  12  D Sword, B Tome      S Donnel + others
               Chrom 16.89 32 16  3   14  15  13  15  6   A Sword              S Sully
           Frederick  8.99 35 14  2   17  13  7   16  6   C Swd, A Axe/Lance   S Sumia, C Linde
               Sully  2.93 42 20  5   21  17  18  19  12  B Sword, A Lance     S Chrom
               Sumia 17.10 28 12  8   21  24  20  8   13  B Lance              S Fred
              Donnel  1.00 34 16  1   14  14  20  12  5   D Axe                S Linde, C Kellam
            Cordelia 17.38 35 15  8   18  17  13  11  10  B Lance              A Kellam
              Kellam  7.55 23 10  1   8   7   3   13  2   D Lance              A Cordelia + others
No One Will Interfere 21.63 45 18  7   13  10  15  15  11  -                    A Gregor
              Gregor 12.24 32 13  1   15  11  8   11  2   C Sword              A N.O.W.I.
                Anna  2.85 37 12  18  24  22  27  9   10  C Sword, D Staff

And now, finally, enter Lucina:

Lvl   HP STR MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES WExp   
              Lucina 10.00 31 14  4   16  15  15  13  6   C Sword

She is not quite as strong as her father, but has solid stats and should be able to contribute immediately with that hax PRF Sword of hers.

I build Lucina's C supports, upgrade NowixGregor and CoredeliaxKellam to S-ranks, and go shopping for Dragonstones, Rescue staves, and a bunch of other little things while I am at it.

[spoiler=Chapter 14, Flames on the Blue]

Defeat Commander. Strictly speaking this can be one-turned (doesn't even require Rescue: clear an enemy with Cord, forged Hammertime the boss with FredxSumia), but there's no real value in it. The treasure chests on this map contain a medium Bullion, Recover staff, and a Second Seal. I only really care about the Seal. The plan is to take one Enemy Phase worth of kills, and then end it on Turn 2.

NowixGregor handle the west ship (I break a hole first, Dance, and then get her deeper so that she can kill one of the promoted enemies), with SumiaxFred hovering over the water to deal with mages and stay in position for the boss kill. LindexDonnel handle the east ship, which largely cannot hurt Linde due to the high DEF coming from Donnel's support. Finally, I have Cordelia fly over the southwestern ocean to fight Peg Knights, and SullyxChrom on the southern ship to clear a path to the Second Seal chest.

On Turn 2, clean up whatever that I am able to. I have Anna Rescue Olivia to herself, get Danced, and then open the Second Seal chest. I decide not to use a chest key on either of the other items. FredxSumia land on the west ship to kill the boss; NowixGregor were on standby to finish him off in case they didn't get any procs (but they did, so it wasn't necessary). Not a complete Rout, but a lot of enemies took a digger, so we'll call it a good day's work.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 2/83

Funds: 35,229G

Linde  6.17 40 23  23  14  26  14  19  14  D Sword, A Tome      S Donnel + others
               Chrom 18.15 34 18  4   14  15  15  16  6   A Sword              S Sully
           Frederick 10.24 37 15  2   18  14  7   18  6   C Swd, A Axe/Lance   S Sumia, C Linde
               Sully  4.10 43 21  7   23  18  20  20  12  B Sword, A Lance     S Chrom
               Sumia 18.96 29 12  8   22  24  21  9   14  B Lance              S Fred
              Donnel  1.66 34 16  1   14  14  20  12  5   D Axe                S Linde, C Kellam
            Cordelia 19.48 37 16  10  19  19  14  12  10  B Lance              S Kellam
              Kellam  7.62 23 10  1   8   7   3   13  2   D Lance              S Cordelia + others
No One Will Interfere 24.17 50 20  7   16  12  16  15  13  -                    S Gregor
              Gregor 12.83 32 13  1   15  11  8   11  2   C Sword              S N.O.W.I.
                Anna  3.53 38 13  19  25  23  28  9   11  C Sword, D Staff

Frederick finally hit level 10; I don't know what to do with him at this point. I have a Second Seal that he can use now, but Dual Guard+ is also pretty good if I can power my way up to level 15. I would have liked to train Donnel or Lucina, but that chapter was no good for units that couldn't take a lot of abuse.

[spoiler=Chapter 15, Smoldering Resistance]

This is one of the more annoying Routs of the Valm arc, since mobility is limited, there are a lot of hard targets to kill, and the space is very cramped. Keys to the chapter: get Say'ri to safety, use Enemy Phase as efficiently as possible, visit the four available houses (all have good items: Large Bullion, Physic, Arms Scroll, Second Seal).

Since there are so many hard targets and a lot of ground to cover, the first thing I do is promote both Sumia and Cordelia to Pegasus Knight; they need the stats and the MV in order to function here. Second thing I do is to pick out my spots: Sumia can face mostly Armors in the upper right (so I equip Frederick with a Hammer), Cordelia can dice it up with mostly Cavaliers and the Dark Knight on the far left (requires Dance, and I give Kellam the Beast Killer), Linde and Donnel can fight effectively on the beach (due to her 1-2 range and hitting RES), Nowi will kill something on Player Phase and plug a hole (funneling some mages to her), while SullyxChrom leave themselves in range of a couple Knights (with Chrom using Rapier). Third and finally, I use Anna to Rescue Say'ri out of the way.

The end result of that, is a bloodbath on Enemy Phase. Everything except the promoted enemies and a couple random mages/cavs perished on the upper deck, and the beach was headed for an easy finish due to Linde's ability to basically ORKO everything there.

A three-turn was possible here (Enemy Phase), but I decided to get all four items rather than just three, which meant pulling Cordelia out of the action for a moment, leaving the boss for Player Phase. STR Tonic might have been the difference here, since the Boss only had 1 HP left. C'est la vie.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 4/87

Funds: 42,079G

Linde  8.38 42 25  24  15  27  15  19  14  D Sword, A Tome      S Donnel + others
               Chrom 18.52 34 18  4   14  15  15  16  6   A Sword              S Sully
           Frederick 10.71 37 15  2   18  14  7   18  6   C Swd, A Axe/Lance   S Sumia, C Linde
               Sully  5.41 44 21  7   24  19  20  21  12  B Sword, A Lance     S Chrom
               Sumia  2.33 34 14  9   25  28  22  11  18  A Lance, E Staff     S Fred
              Donnel  1.95 34 16  1   14  14  20  12  5   D Axe                S Linde, C Kellam
            Cordelia  3.92 43 19  12  23  23  15  14  14  A Lance, E Staff     S Kellam
              Kellam  8.32 24 11  1   9   8   3   14  2   C Lance              S Cordelia + others
No One Will Interfere 25.75 52 21  7   17  12  16  16  14  -                    S Gregor
              Gregor 13.13 33 13  1   15  11  8   11  2   B Sword              S N.O.W.I.
               Libra  2.61 40 14  16  14  15  10  11  17  C Axe/Staff
                Anna  3.87 38 13  19  25  23  28  9   11  C Sword, D Staff

Maintenance time: restocked on Tonics, javelins, and shifted around some weaponry.

[spoiler=Paralogue 12, Disowned by Time]

Morgan's recruitment paralogue, a Kill Boss. Keys to the chapter: recruit Morgan, get him promoted and fed as much EXP as possible, and collect whatever else I can in the meantime, while I rush the boss. There are three treasures here (Bullion, Seal, Fortify), but I don't particularly care about any of them.

Linde is the only unit capable of ORKO'ing the boss (a Griffon Rider with Lancebreaker… yikes), so she hops on Sumia's back and makes a beeline for him with Elwind. It will take three turns to get there, so I use this time to get Morgan set up.

First: an Anna Rescue, Chrom recruit, pass him a Seal and Javelin, reclass to Cavalier, clear a spot with Sully, Dance for another turn, Ward Morgan, Pair him with Lucina (for the SPD), and then start dicing it up with mages. Whew. Morgan gets 100 EXP a kill, and 24-25 for every non-fatal attack. Since he can take a good 3-4 hits from the enemies here, as long as I keep him topped off from behind with Physic, he's good to go. He rockets through levels in this chapter going from baseline to halfway to level nine before the end. It was pretty impressive.

Nowi takes the right-hand side for the Bullion (because why not), and CordeliaxKellam run interference and clear things out of Morgan's way so that he can face as much Enemy Phase activity as possible. A short, but very successful chapter overall. I wasn't able to get Linde to level 10, so I'll just have to handle Ch15 the old-fashioned way.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 3/90

Heroes: Lucina & Morgan

Funds: 39,519G

Linde  9.39 43 25  24  16  27  16  20  15  D Sword, A Tome      S Donnel + others
               Chrom 18.69 34 18  4   14  15  15  16  6   A Sword              S Sully
           Frederick 10.71 37 15  2   18  14  7   18  6   C Swd, A Axe/Lance   S Sumia, C Linde
               Sully  6.11 44 22  7   25  19  21  22  13  B Sword, A Lance     S Chrom
               Sumia  2.93 34 14  9   25  28  22  11  18  A Lance, E Staff     S Fred, C Linde
              Donnel  1.95 34 16  1   14  14  20  12  5   D Axe                S Linde, C others
            Cordelia  4.62 44 20  13  23  24  15  15  14  A Lance, E Staff     S Kellam
              Kellam  8.46 24 11  1   9   8   3   14  2   C Lance              S Cordelia + others
No One Will Interfere 26.45 53 22  8   18  13  17  17  14  -                    S Gregor
              Gregor 13.19 33 13  1   15  11  8   11  2   B Sword              S N.O.W.I.
               Libra  2.96 40 14  16  14  15  10  11  17  C Axe/Staff
                Anna  4.31 39 13  20  26  23  28  10  11  C Sword, D Staff
              Lucina 10.39 31 14  4   16  15  15  13  6   C Sword
              Morgan  8.60 43 22  15  19  20  18  18  11  E Sword, C Lance     C Linde/Donnel

Morgan builds supports with his parents, LindexSumia advances to C. I pick up a couple of Rescue staves for my Pegs, just in case. WTF@ Morgan being better than Lucina after only three Turns worth of training. Aptitude is serious business.

[spoiler=Chapter 16, Naga's Voice]

This is a boss kill, and since nobody on my team can hurt Cervantes except Linde, the goal is to get her up to him as quickly as possible, before the reinforcements arrive and ruin my day. There is some treasure to be had on this map (via killing Thieves), but there's nothing particularly important aside from a Speedwing.

There are fast units on this map, so I distribute SPD Tonics (plus STR/DEF Tonics for Morgan) to the people that need them. I decide to train Morgan at the same time as using him as a ferry for Linde. Turn 1 finds me killing off a Hero that's blocking the way (combination SullyxChrom + MorganxLinde), Dancing Morgan as far forward as possible, and setting him up with a Javelin for Enemy Phase. CordeliaxKellam took the right hand side, and Nowi joined Sully on the left.

What happened next, was a sight to behold. Morgan went apeshit on everything that attacked him, getting ORKOs (both clean and proc-assisted, for the promoted units) all over the place, netting up to 100 EXP per kill. Remember how he was level 8 at the end of the Paralogue? He leveled up so many times that he was green-capping stats at level 15, and I ended up using the plunder from a Sniper (Master Seal) to promote him to Great Knight, since he was just wasting growth headroom at that point. I kept him healthy from afar with Physic from Libra, although once he promoted he basically stopped taking damage altogether.

I goofed up the second-to-last Enemy Phase, since Morgan's javelin broke and his replacement was underneath a Steel Lance (so he couldn't counter three of the promoted units that attacked him), but seeing as how he's already blown the doors off of basically every unit in my army at this point, a couple levels won't make that much of a difference. Cervantes was an easy Linde kill (3HKO with Arcthunder) for a three turn clear.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 3/93

Heroes: Linde & Morgan

Funds: 39,519G

Linde 10.67 44 25  24  16  27  16  20  15  D Sword, A Tome      S Donnel + others
               Chrom 19.10 34 18  4   15  15  16  17  6   A Sword              S Sully
               Sully  7.29 45 23  8   26  20  22  22  13  B Sword, A Lance     S Chrom
              Donnel  1.95 34 16  1   14  14  20  12  5   D Axe                S Linde, C others
            Cordelia  5.21 45 21  13  24  24  16  16  14  A Lance, E Staff     S Kellam
              Kellam  8.53 24 11  1   9   8   3   14  2   C Lance              S Cordelia + others
No One Will Interfere 26.99 53 22  8   18  13  17  17  14  -                    S Gregor
              Gregor 13.19 33 13  1   15  11  8   11  2   B Sword              S N.O.W.I.
               Libra  3.31 41 14  17  14  15  10  11  17  C Axe/Staff
                Anna  4.64 39 13  20  26  23  28  10  11  C Sword, D Staff
              Lucina 11.72 32 15  4   17  16  15  14  7   C Sword
              Morgan  2.60 59 33  18  24  26  25  29  17  E Swd/Axe, B Lnc     C Linde/Donnel

Holy hell, Morgan with Veteran/Aptitude is ridiculous. He just blew past Sully and never even looked back.

[spoiler=Chapter 17, Inexorable Death]

The nature of the rest of the game is taking shape at this point; MorganxLinde is simply unstoppable. Although this map has treasure on it, there's nothing that I really care for (Boots are nice, but I wouldn't be giving them to anyone anyway), so it's a straight training map while Morgan blasts his way to the boss.

NowixGregor take the left hand side (she has stopped doubling now, and needs a little bit more training before her reclass), ChromxSully handle the middle with help from Sumia, and MorganxLinde handle the right hand side. I give Morgan a quick Dance (Olivia rescued out of the way afterwards) in order to break through and barrel towards the boss. He cleanly ORKOs everything with Javelins, including the boss, which is a little bit absurd.

Actually, that's a lot absurd.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 4/97

Funds: 51,069G

Chrom 19.90 34 18  4   15  15  16  17  6   A Sword              S Sully
               Sully  8.45 46 23  9   27  21  22  22  13  B Sword, A Lance     S Chrom
               Linde 10.79 44 25  24  16  27  16  20  15  D Sword, A Tome      S Donnel + others
              Morgan  7.89 60 38  20  28  31  29  33  19  E Swd/Axe, A Lnc     B Linde
No One Will Interfere 28.74 56 22  9   19  15  19  18  16  -                    S Gregor
            Cordelia  5.51 45 21  13  24  24  16  16  14  A Lance, E Staff     S Kellam

Kellam  8.53 24 11  1   9   8   3   14  2   C Lance              S Cordelia + others
              Gregor 13.25 33 13  1   15  11  8   11  2   B Sword              S N.O.W.I.
                Anna  4.97 39 13  20  26  23  28  10  11  C Sword, D Staff

MorganxLinde built to B-rank. I am compressing/splitting the stat chart up at this point, since realistically the list of actually-used units is very low.

[spoiler=Chapter 18, Sibling Blades]

MorganxLinde rush straight down the middle at the boss. I get a little EXP into Nowi, Cordelia, and Chrom (who promotes). I ignore the treasure. I have a feeling that these write-ups are going to be really short from now on.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 6/103

Chrom  1.62 40 23  4   18  18  16  21  10  A Sword, E Lance     S Sully
               Sully  9.29 47 24  9   27  21  22  22  13  B Sword, A Lance     S Chrom
               Linde 11.66 45 25  24  17  27  17  21  15  D Sword, A Tome      S Donnel + others
              Morgan 13.70 66 43  24  31  36  34  36  22  E Swd/Axe, A Lnc     B Linde
No One Will Interfere  2.60 60 24  9   21  15  22  20  18  -                    S Gregor
            Cordelia  7.44 47 21  13  26  26  17  16  14  A Lance, E Staff     S Kellam
               Sumia  3.70 35 15  9   26  29  22  11  18  A Lance, E Staff     S Fred, C Linde

Kellam  8.61 24 11  1   9   8   3   14  2   C Lance              S Cordelia + others
              Gregor 13.82 33 13  1   15  11  8   11  2   B Sword              S N.O.W.I.
                Anna  5.70 40 14  21  27  23  29  11  12  C Sword, D Staff

[spoiler=Chapter 19, The Conquerer]

SullyxChrom left fort, NowixGregor upper right, LindexMorgan straight up the middle towards Walhart. Mash the START button. There's a high chance that Walhart dies during Turn 2 Enemy Phase, but he managed to dodge one of Linde's Dual Strikes. Just as well, means more EXP for everyone.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 3/106

Chrom  3.68 42 23  4   20  19  16  23  11  A Sword, E Lance     S Sully
               Sully  9.81 47 24  9   27  21  22  22  13  B Sword, A Lance     S Chrom
               Linde 12.27 46 26  24  17  27  17  21  16  D Sword, A Tome      S Donnel + others
              Morgan 17.74 70 46  24  31  39  36  38  24  E Swd/Axe, A Lnc     B Linde
No One Will Interfere 10.37 68 27  10  25  17  28  25  23  -                    S Gregor

Kellam  8.61 24 11  1   9   8   3   14  2   C Lance              S Cordelia + others
              Gregor 14.31 34 13  1   16  12  9   12  2   A Sword              S N.O.W.I.

Gregor hits A-rank Sword. This is impressive for someone who hasn't seen Lead unit combat for the entire game.

[spoiler=Chapter 20, The Sword of the Knee]

I promoted Gregor to Bow Knight, because why not. Nowi doesn't need the extra durability anymore, it gives the same SPD/SKL as Hero, but also has +1 MV and the option for 8MV on the first turn. I had to go back to Southtown to buy him a bow that he could equip.

NowixGregor and LindexMorgan blast their way up the center of the map. Nowi takes most of the abuse, and uses her Player Phase to clear space for Morgan to get through. Walhart dies on Turn 4 (another chapter where if he had not dodged Linde's Dual Strike, it would have been a Turn earlier).

SullyxChrom just mess around on the wings and kill whatever they can for EXP.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 4/110

Chrom  4.31 43 24  4   21  20  16  23  11  A Sword, E Lance     S Sully
               Sully 11.48 49 24  10  29  23  22  23  13  A Sword/Lance        S Chrom
               Linde 12.50 46 26  24  17  27  17  21  16  D Sword, A Tome      S Donnel + others
              Morgan 20.00 73 47  24  31  39  38  41  25  E Swd/Axe, A Lnc     A Linde
No One Will Interfere 16.58 75 33  13  28  20  33  29  24  -                    S Gregor

Gregor  1.48 40 16  1   18  15  9   13  4   A Sword, E Bow       S N.O.W.I.

LindexMorgan is now A-rank, and Morgan is capped at level 20 GK. I'm not sure whether I want to try another class, or just stick with GK (reclass) since it has the highest STR cap. Gregor somehow managed to make it almost to D Bows; apparently you get WEXP for tinks.

Edited by Interceptor

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan to follow your progress on this, since I'm interested in Fred and Cordelia's overall performance. Just one question though, when you say Turns: 4/10, etc. What exactly does that mean? 4 turns to complete out of an expected 10, or what?

Edit: I think I figured it out, the first number is the turns for that chapter and the second is your total turn count for the whole game so far. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by MercuryHg34

Edit: I think I figured it out, the first number is the turns for that chapter and the second is your total turn count for the whole game so far. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Precisely. I guess I could make that a little more clear in the next sweep.

^ It depends on how you look at it. He didn't see a lot of combat because I don't want to slow the growth of the long-term units, and he wouldn't really have made things much faster. But as a Pair-up partner, he does make things a lot easier with his huge +4 STR/DEF bonuses, especially in Prologue and Ch2. In Ch1 it wasn't a big deal, I could have done the same thing I did with him by supporting Linde with Lissa instead (enemies weren't dense enough to threaten her durability).

Updated OP with Chapter 3.

[spoiler=Chapter 3, Warrior Realm]

This was Frederick's chapter. The most efficient way to win this one (which is a boss kill), is to pair Kellam with Fred and have him crush the right-hand side. With Kellam, Fred OHKOs with Silver lance and takes 0 damage from everything. Except the Hammer guy, who leaves Fred with 4 HP (which is fine as long as he dies in retaliation, since not even the boss can hurt Fred). At any rate, Fred arrives in boss range by Turn 5, and either ORKOs with Silver, or OHKOs with Hammer (if he gained +STR on level).

Since Kellam starts on the left, this required some tricky movements. Chrom moves west, Talks for the recruit, Pairs up, Kellam moves east, Switches, Chrom passes Kellam to Miriel (and Pairs himself with Sully), Mirel walks over and passes Kellam to Fred, who runs right and begins his rampage. Whew.

I took the five turns afforded to me, to kill as much stuff on the left hand side as possible. I was unable to get Sumia a level, but did for Linde/Sully/Chrom. Even though it was a Kill Boss, realistically I was one kill away from a Rout just due to Javelin hijinks on the top floor.

Point of note: taking this chapter a little bit more slowly allows you to get a lot more training into Sumia, since she + Fred are a very good team. But alas, this is efficiency, not charity.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 5/19

5000G

Linde 10.15 26 11  12  6   15  6   11  8   E Sword, D Tome      C Fred
             Chrom  4.25 22 9   2   9   9   6   9   3   D Sword              B Sully, C Lissa
         Frederick  2.41 29 13  2   12  10  6   15  4   D Sword/Axe, B Lance C Linde
             Sully  4.35 22 7   1   9   9   8   8   3   E Sword, D Lance     B Chrom
             Sumia  1.74 18 6   3   11  11  8   5   7   D Lance
             Lissa  2.60 17 2   6   5   5   9   4   4   E Staff              C Chrom

Shops are open now, so I changed the name of Linde's Fire time to "Aura". Thought I was kidding about the Linde thing, didn't you? I WAS NOT.

Neato o:

Good luck to you on this!

Random question:

How do you get the stats in that nifty little table?

I format the "table" in a fixed width, plain text file (using spaces and tabs to get everything aligned), and then just paste it into my post surrounded with code tags. It's easy to re-use for each chapter, since I don't have to change much. If you hit the reply button on this post, you can see what it looks like in BB Code.

OP updated with Chapter 4.

[spoiler=Chapter 4, Two Falchions]

Another episode of The Frederick Show. It just so happens that Fred Pairing with a 7MV unit (like Sumia) can make it juuuust far enough north to aggro "Marth", the two mages, a Knight, and a Hand Axe Guy during Enemy Phase. Sumia is unable to handle that much abuse, but Fred is equal to the task with a Javelin. He will almost die if everything hits (the mages hurt especially), but a Defense Tonic from the Ch3 shop would take care of a borderline situation. The rest of the army runs up the sides of the map. LindexKellam and SullyxChrom, armed with Swords to kill two more axe guys on Enemy Phase (or wound them, in Sully's case… her low STR is becoming a problem, I will need to prime the pump or upgrade her weaponry).

The two mages are dispatched easily, the Knight goes to half health, and the Hand Axe guy is regretting waking up in the morning. A Javelin + a Silver Lance hit is just enough to kill "Marth", so that's exactly what happens next. Sully and Linde clean up the wounded.

A two-turn clear (on Enemy Phase) was actually possible here if I had positioned Linde in a good spot (there was a full-health Knight and Hand Axe Guy still left), but the Knight would have required a Dual Attack to finish off, so I just wounded them so that Sumia and Chrom could get kills.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 3/22

5000G

Linde 10.75 26 11  12  6   15  6   11  8   D Sword, D Tome      C Fred
             Chrom  4.73 22 9   2   9   9   6   9   3   D Sword              B Sully, C Lissa
         Frederick  2.99 29 13  2   12  10  6   15  4   D Sword/Axe, A Lance C Linde
             Sully  5.16 23 8   1   9   10  9   8   3   E Sword, D Lance     B Chrom
             Sumia  2.17 19 7   3   12  12  8   5   8   D Lance
             Lissa  2.60 17 2   6   5   5   9   4   4   E Staff              

Very glad that Sully finally got STR, and that Sumia got a level. Laughing at poor Frederick only getting to 2.99 instead of level three. No support upgrades to speak of. Time to move forward with the first Paralogue, to recruit Donnel.

EDIT: an early version of this post had me forgetting Kellam, which I promise was not intentional. Poor guy.

Who are you planning to marry Linde off to?

Probably Donnel. If I am going to try to make him good, I have to give him the best of everything available, which includes partners. If he doesn't end up working out, either Linde picks up one of the late-joiners, or I will set her up with a strong female BFF like Lucina or Anna.

Edited by Interceptor

Probably Donnel. If I am going to try to make him good, I have to give him the best of everything available, which includes partners. If he doesn't end up working out, either Linde picks up one of the late-joiners, or I will set her up with a strong female BFF like Lucina or Anna.

While I'm iffy on that pairing (I'd personally put her with Kellam for tankiness or Gaius for mobility), I'm curious to see if the best is enough to make Donnel not a headache.

Ahh hello, didn't realize you were doing a whole play log.

Hmm...Makes me wanna do a playlog.

Anyways, one thing t note about a 5 turn of chapter 3, you can still do it by simply pairing Fred and Sumia with Fred just on a far right slot while sending someone like Virion or Miriel to pull the archer off him and to help with the hammer (as a chip helps either he kill the Hammerman with Silver, or helps Sumia be able to kill him). Everyone else heads left where I did things like transfer Kellam to Stahl after Kellam helps move Chrom to one of the enemies for him to attack, and then Sully take the Javelin off his hands to kill whoever's killable.

Least I think that's how I did it. Will have to redo it.

OP now updated with Paralogue 1: The Paraloguing.

[spoiler=Paralogue 1, Sickle to Sword]

This was a busy chapter, with lots of things going on at once. I bought a STR Tonic and Wind tome (named Aura, naturally) before beginning.

First, it's a Kill Boss chapter, lousy with axes and archers. Someone who can use swords, never die, murder everything in their path, and do it with high mobility is preferred for the assassination job. This means FrederickxSumia. Fred has the durability and MV, and Sumia allows him to double and clear space.

Second, I have to train Donnel. Fortunately he can level up off of two kills: the closest starting Fighter, and the Thief. Stahl was used as a Pair-up bot for HIT/STR/DEF. LindexKellam (purely for Veteran bonus) weakened the first Fighter, and DonnelxStahl killed him. SumiaxFred murder the Archer (Sumia actually ORKOed with an Iron Lance at level 2; gogo overpowered Pair Up supports). This leaves only the Thief, who will double but not ORKO Donnel (thanks Stahl), to be further chunked + killed on Turn 2, at which point I can forget that Donnel exists.

Third, I have to acquire the Rescue staff in this chapter somehow. This involves getting someone to the treasure room with a key, as the Thief won't steal it. FredxSumia are busy, so this is a job for SullyxChrom. I feed Sully a STR tonic (150g, why not), which puts her at ~80% Bronze Sword ORKO on everything here (doubles at 100% accuracy, and 55% chance of Chrom Dual Attack), or 100% ORKO if she uses her lance. This was necessary due to being a couple combats away from D Swords (otherwise I would have just had her use Iron). C'est la vie.

Finally, Linde took Donnel to the north, and stood on the right side of the boss room. The only purpose of this was to draw the two archers over and kill them with Aura; if you don't clear them out, they can get in Fred's way when he goes in for the kill. 2-range attackers blocking forward progress can be a pain on this map, due to the narrow corridors everywhere.

This was an extremely productive chapter for both Fred and Sully, who got a lot of kills (Chrom can't double, so unfortunately he is falling behind a bit now). Also, even though Sumia as a unit is god-awful on this map (arrows and axes everywhere), I did give her the boss kill. I also managed to get both chest items (Rescue and Killer Lance).

I'd like to point one thing out here: Donnel slowed this clear measurably. The need to pull SumiaxFred to clear space, instead of having Linde just wtfpwn the starting pack herself, cost a couple turns easy.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 8/30

Funds: 4400G

Linde 11.67 27 12  13  7   16  7   11  8   D Sword, D Tome      C Fred
             Chrom  5.33 23 9   2   9   9   6   10  3   C Sword              A Sully, C Lissa
         Frederick  3.58 30 13  2   13  10  6   16  5   D Sword/Axe, A Lance C Sumia/Linde
             Sully  8.17 24 10  2   10  11  11  10  3   D Sword, C Lance     A Chrom
             Sumia  3.21 20 7   3   13  13  8   5   8   D Lance              C Fred
            Donnel  2.11 17 4   0   2   4   12  4   1   E Lance

Post chapter, after advancing SullyxChrom to A (that will be huge for their combat) and SumiaxFred to C, I took Donnel's lance and re-named it Two Years TE.

Linde is so OP I had no idea how powerful they could be.

They don't call the Avatar the Grandmaster of Disaster for nothing. Honestly, I'm holding her back a little bit, too.

Interceptor playlogs <3

This might inspire me to play a FE game during exam downtime.

<3

I like doing them and writing them, so even better if people enjoy reading them.

Is this including a second seal or no? :P

If I can justify it, I will give him a Second Seal. Whether that's Paladin, Griffon Rider, General, or a tier 1 class, still remains to be seen. A lot depends on how Sumia turns out.

Ahh hello, didn't realize you were doing a whole play log.

Hmm...Makes me wanna do a playlog.

Anyways, one thing t note about a 5 turn of chapter 3, you can still do it by simply pairing Fred and Sumia with Fred just on a far right slot while sending someone like Virion or Miriel to pull the archer off him and to help with the hammer (as a chip helps either he kill the Hammerman with Silver, or helps Sumia be able to kill him). Everyone else heads left where I did things like transfer Kellam to Stahl after Kellam helps move Chrom to one of the enemies for him to attack, and then Sully take the Javelin off his hands to kill whoever's killable.

Least I think that's how I did it. Will have to redo it.

That's a good idea. Unfortunately since this game is stingy with save slots, I can't try it out. Sounds legit, though. I almost did something close to it (I used Miriel instead), but decided that I preferred the 100% success rate of the Kellam strategy, along with keeping my ranged weakeners for the LHS. In hindsight, this probably ending up hurting Sumia a little bit. At the very least they would have had a support for Para 1.

What's N.O.W.I. stand for?

Nuclear Obliterator With Initiative

This one is good. I change it up a lot.

OP now updated with Chapter 5.

[spoiler=Chapter 5, The Exalt and the King]

It's becoming very frustrating to train Donnel. This chapter can be cleared as early as Turn 3 Enemy Phase if you have a strong enough set of units (Rout condition). However, since once again I was forced to use half of my army to set up kills for Donnel, as a result I was never able to stay ahead of the reinforcements until Turn 6.

This chapter was Chrom's moment to shine. Chrom's early woes due to being under leveled, are being completely papered over by Sully's now-ludicrous support bonuses: +5 STR, +4 SKL, +4 SPD, +1 LCK, and +5 DEF. Chrom doubles and ORKOs basically everything that's not a Myrmidon. The axe-users don't stand a chance, nor do the Wyvern Riders, and even the mages die before retaliation about 65-75% of the time, due to a high Dual Attack chance from Sully (or a crit). So as you can imagine, ChromxSully went ape on everything that was in reach.

Not to take anything away from the other powerhouse pair, naturally. FrederickxSumia did well, with Sumia able to get a couple of kills before her HP started running low (which forced a permanent Switch). The ability to fly up the cliffs and get maximum Enemy Phase exposure for Fred on Turn 2 was extremely useful for putting out as much killing power as possible (including aggroing the boss), while ChromxSully caught up. Sumia's Dual attacks are very unreliable, so Fred needed to use an Iron Axe for the most part to guarantee ORKO/2HKOs.

Meanwhile, on the base of the cliff, another complicated set of maneuvers had to be employed to get Donnel some EXP. The time, I had him use a Defese Tonic and Pair Up with Kellam on a forest. This allowed him to survive and kill two Axe users on Enemy Phase (which Linde had previously weakened to 2 HP). Later, I was able to feed him a Dark Mage that Linde beat almost to death, and that was the extent of what I was able to safely stuff down his throat.

Donnel is really bad. Got a lame level-up, too.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 6/36

Linde 12.62 28 12  13  7   16  7   11  9   D Sword, C Tome      C Fred/Stahl
             Chrom  9.23 27 10  3   11  10  10  11  5   C Sword              A Sully, C Lissa
         Frederick  4.74 31 13  2   14  10  7   16  5   D Swd, C Axe, A Lnce C Sumia/Linde
             Sully  8.47 24 10  2   10  11  11  10  3   D Sword, C Lance     A Chrom
             Sumia  4.31 20 7   3   14  14  8   5   9   D Lance              C Fred
            Donnel  3.31 18 4   0   3   4   13  4   1   E Lance

I bought aforementioned DEF Tonic, and also got a STR Tonic just in case it's needed later. Linde and Stahl now have a C support, even though he's just a Veteran bot. Sheesh.

OP updated with Paralogue 2.

[spoiler=Paralogue 2, The Secret Seller]

This is a Rout map with an Ally Anna and a village. Keys to the chapter: maximizing Enemy Phase, securing Physic from the village, getting some kills into Pothead Donnel. Careful target selection during Player Phase is important here, because there are a large number of enemy units that either 1) attack at 2-range, or 2) don't attack at all. The mages and archers are one thing, but there are also a number of Barbarians that will ignore your units even when they are in range to attack (they will just kamikaze at the village; the two Barbs east of the bridge near where you start have this behavior).

Donnel's training takes the same flavor as last chapter: LindexStahl chunk a couple of Barbarians down to extremely low health, and DonnelxKellam swoop in to finish them off, while hiding in forests to try to cut down on damage. I also had Donnel kill one of the archers while Maribelle and Lissa took turns tanking hits for him (this works better than you might think, since they can heal each other). It took the entirety of the rest of the chapter for him to kill the guy, but he got there eventually.

While kindergarten was in session, SumiaxFred swept east/north in an L-shape, killing mages and barbarians as they went along. This was important because of the barb in the lower right-hand corner; it costs time to get him if you can't fly, since he is slow. Fortunately Sumia is in ORKO range of everything here (and only a Tonic away if she was not), so this was academic. They ended the map by visiting the village for a Physic.

SullyxChrom, on the other hand, used the bridge and went after the boss (she is the only person who can both double and use Swords). Sully had my javelin this chapter (which I can use freely since they will be buyable after completion) to deal with mage/archer/boss who can attack at range. It took some clever positioning, but they had a couple of turns to deal with the boss pack, so it was no problem.

Linde wasn't able to do much because of Donnel, but I did manage to scrape together a couple kills for her. This was a 6-turn chapter, but it would have been a 5-turn had I the foresight to give Donnel either a mild forge or a Tonic (literally my only action on the final Player Phase was to finish off an archer with 2 HP). Not gonna re-run the thing for something so lame.

Turns (Chapter/Total): 6/42

Linde 13.35 29 13  14  7   16  8   12  9   D Sword, C Tome      C Fred, B Stahl
             Chrom  9.50 27 10  3   11  10  10  11  5   C Sword              S Sully, C Lissa
         Frederick  4.96 31 13  2   14  10  7   16  5   D Swd, C Axe, A Lnce B Sumia, C Linde
             Sully 11.12 27 12  2   12  11  13  11  3   C Sword/Lance        S Chrom
             Sumia  5.76 21 8   3   15  15  8   5   9   D Lance              B Fred
            Donnel  4.81 19 5   0   4   5   14  4   1   E Lance              C Kellam
            Kellam  5.50 21 10  0   7   5   3   12  2   D Lance              C Chrom/Donnel
             Lissa  5.03 19 3   9   6   6   9   4   7   D Staff              C Chrom

Notable events in weapon ranks: Sully is now C in Sword/Lance. She can use both of my Killers, which might turn out to be handy. Sumia is almost C, but not quite.

This was a support extravaganza, with no fewer than four supports built (one of which was S-rank ChromxSully). Still nothing for LindexDonnel, due to the constraints of already having to use her to weaken things for him to gum to death. Linde is B rank with Stahl now, which I consider high hilarity.

How many turns has Donnel costed so far? :P

Hard to say. There are a few places where he's cost me a couple turns, and back-of-the-napkin probably about 7-8 turns so far overall. But the real victim in this play is Linde. She would be considerably higher level right now if I wasn't using her to chunk things for Donnel. The "upside" to his training is that on reinforcement maps it's getting a little more EXP into my primary combatants, but he's definitely a net negative right now.

I noticed your Lissa gained several levels. Are you training her or just using her as needed? It sucks that Donny is slowing you down. I think you should give him a nice forge if you're going to train him :^_^:. You're a good tactician there's no way I can 6 turn paralogue 2 on HM.

I was wondering that too, is it usually better to use Anna as your primary healer once you recruit her, or is it better to use Lissa/Maribelle/Sage Miriel/others?

It depends on whether you care about the kids, mostly. Libra comes a few chapters later as another promoted staffbot, but he's also a good father for Owain. You can use Lissa for a while, turn her into pair-up fodder when Libra shows up, and get an Owain with solid base stats due to Lissa's levels and Libra's bases.

Anna will usually be worth using anyway though because leveling thieves sucks.

In your playthrough, I suggest making Donnel a fighter. Making him a merc in mine gave less than favorable results in my run, and honestly I think he is better off as a Fighter just for more durability.

Also, have fun with Nowi. She pretty much becomes unkillable by chapter 16 by anything that isn't a counter warrior.