New Thracia 776 translation

js394

Oh wow, NOW everyone's all on board with a new Thracia patch? Because when I attempted this project about a year ago the massive negative outcry was immense. People complained about me updating new names. People complaining about me updating Firelizard's script. People complained about the need for a new patch at all, citing all the interface problems with the old one as "not that bad."

Now here's a group of people doing exactly what I proposed to do and it's all hunky dory no problems here.

Here's a giant difference from what you were doing:

They actually know how to hack. You were just proposing updating names and script and "putting it out there for a hacker to implement".

Having the illusion of having something done, but in reality, not really.

If you had an actual hacker to back you up on your claim, I'd be all for conceding, but you're not really doing anything but trying to start up drama AGAIN with an "I told you so".

They have actual freaking screenshots and BUILDING IT FROM SCRATCH and FIXING BUGS. Comparing it to your endeavor is really an insult to people who make translation patches, in all honesty.

I am already derailing the thread by calling you out on your ploy for attention, so the only posts I will add on this thread are translation help, because the OP seems like hell of a lot more competent than I am as a hacker.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried the new version, still gave me all the garbled text and froze when moving a character.

So I decided to soft patch this new patch into a ROM that was hard-patched with the original Shaya patch.

NOW it works.

Edited by Jave

In the Shaya patch does anyone else have all gibberish in chapter 22? I just want to make sure because I haven't heard of this before.

now i find a rom that is able to load the patch

but now,everytime i try to move a unit the rom would freeze on me

and besides the text are kinda hard to read?

any help?

Try hard-patching the rom to Shaya's original patch first, then soft-patch THAT rom with the new patch. That's how I got it to work.

Weird the way of patching the rom works differently for some people.

now i find a rom that is able to load the patch

but now,everytime i try to move a unit the rom would freeze on me

and besides the text are kinda hard to read?

any help?

I think there are four different possible ROMs out there: the V.ROM version, the NP version, and then whether these have a header or not. I don't recall if there were any revision updates (like if there were a V.ROM v1.0 and a v.1.1, for example, like there was with FE3).

So the first task is to learn what ROM this original translation is meant for. If the new patch is an addendum patch, meaning you apply it to the same ROM you've applied Shaya's translation to, then all you have to worry about is finding the right version of the ROM that is compatible with Shaya's translation.

It seems that starting with Chapter 20, all the dialogue is messed up. Missing sprites, garbage text, everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news guys.

It turns out that the garbled status screen text is compressed (ie. not editable without advanced knowledge)

I don't know asm so until I can find someone to help with this, I won't be planning on fixing the status screen.

Bad news guys.

It turns out that the garbled status screen text is compressed (ie. not editable without advanced knowledge)

I don't know asm so until I can find someone to help with this, I won't be planning on fixing the status screen.

Wasn't there a patch that translated the menus and managed to edit the text? I do recall the patch, but can't find it anywhere.

I don't know the details, but I found a couple of screenshots in another thread. According to my lurking from way back, that thread discussed about name changes, what should be done and what not.

34p1g7d.jpg

There was also someone who managed to completely remove the text, which looked pretty good.

mn0wnk.jpg

Maybe you can try finding the ones responsible for these?

Edited by Black Mage

Hooooly shit. I want I want I want I want.

Edit:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=31481&page=2#entry1917919

Pretty sure Omni made the image you linked, and that was just a mockup, not an ingame screenshot. Like, a hypothetical image of what the GUI could look like. I wish it looked that good ;w;

Also a note to anyone reading this thread, don't bother using Joesteve's current translation patch. It's broken in at least three ways, including the +70 magic glitch noted in my LP, as well as the gamebreaking chapter 5 and 6 glitch that I suspect is a result of his patch. That could have been my nightmare edits, I'll know soon enough when I make it to chapter 6 again.

Edited by ManriKlok

Both of those images are from legitimate projects: the first is an early translation, the second is a fan hack. It was either done by Pukachi, or that other resident furry hacker person thingy who was working with FE4 some time back.

Bad news guys.

I have a copy of a graphics decompresser/recompresser build for FE4/FE5, if you'd like a link. It's nested within a larger archive of various romhacking projects, data, and programs I've come across. I also shared this file with the guy doing the updated FE4 translation, so instead of wading through a bunch of Japanese programs, maybe you should contact him? At least that will let you work with the compressed text, should it be supported by the compression program.

Pretty sure Omni made the image you linked, and that was just a mockup, not an ingame screenshot. Like, a hypothetical image of what the GUI could look like. I wish it looked that good ;w;

Aw, that's too bad. It looks awesome.

But the other screen is from a real patch, as far as I remember. Do you know anything about it?

Edit: Nevermind, Celice just clarified everything.

Edited by Black Mage

Oh, thanks for the fix, celice.

Also, the alternate project listed is definitely hosted on dgemu.com somewhere. I remember DLing it once, though they have like 20 builds of thracia and finding the correct one can be a hassle. I actually played my first playthrough of thracia on this hack and it was really fun, all the menus and weapon names were translated, it was an A+ experience... aside from the complete and utter lack of any dialogue changes.

Obviously SF doesn't allow linking to those so you'll have to find it yourself.

Edit: Found Pukachi's hack. It's ridiculously popular so you can be sure she's still working on it. /sarcasm

http://forums.grandbell.net/index.php/topic,321.0.html

Edit2: Seems Arch had something about it on the old Gdocs, unfortunately SoS was closed so the link is lost forever.

https://sites.google.com/site/archsagex/hack-directory-1

Trying to find a working download is giving me a mother of a headache.

Edited by ManriKlok

Trying to find a working download is giving me a mother of a headache.

I found her hack in this thread from FEShrine by searching "The Aidyn Project" on Google. Haven't tested it yet, though.

And thanks for the tip, I found that translation. It looks like some guy named "Luxifer" made it.

Edited by Black Mage

So... there still has never been a patch made which completely translates the game text and allows for translation of standard game controls?

BM, what a bro. /downloads

So... there still has never been a patch made which completely translates the game text and allows for translation of standard game controls?

No. That's what this thread is about. FE5 is significantly less popular than the other games in the series despite being the best therefore it never received the deluxe treatment. Also it might be coded differently enough from FE4 to actually be a pain to edit its graphics.

Shaya and FireLizard put the most work into the game. Shaya never completed his project, however, and abandoned it. Another user had tracked him down, and discovered that he lost all his files pertaining to the translation project, and wouldn't likely be picking it up again. He currently moderates at a Smash Brothers forum somewhere out in the internet.

The initial patch (shown above the pink-background image a few posts back) was meant to be a menu translation and that's it, potentially building off if interest was gained. It hadn't, but the translation completed its goals for playability, at least.

To be charitable, after the likes of J2E fell, no one really cared about translating the Fire Emblem games. Had fans not taken the initiative, it's likely very little of the original series would be in complete English. Artemis's, and to a small degree StarWolf's work with FE2 were based on the incomplete work of J2E, as was Twilkitri's and co's work on FE4. FE3 was on the stockpile of iced projects for Ghideon's ATGP group, but has recently been removed altogether--VincentASM and RPGuy? finished up a rough translation for that game some recent years back. Some info here on the release. Twilkitri's group also worked and released the Fire Emblem 6 translation, and put some VERY preliminary work into TearRing Saga, if memory serves, before losing interest/finding roadblocks (I think it was with implementing a VWF).

VincentASM could probably shed some more light on the subject, as I was more of a lurker back around FESS when these projects were beginning. From my understanding, it was with FireLizard's translations that FE4-FE6 actually got a translation implemented in the first place.

Fire Emblem's fan-translations were actually a nice surprise, and had the fans not taken the initiative so strongly, we may not have the translation patches available today. FE12 included.

EDIT: I forgot, but Maestro did a lot of work for the original FE1, fairly late after the other translations were complete (but before Artemis completed FE2's translation); a few others, such as DarknessSaviour, Tomato, and such, also attempted the project, but lost interest or ran into issues.

Edited by Celice

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but I'll just make a few corrections and comments.

ROM hacking is an obscure profession, yet one that's highly demanded. It's also difficult to master and relatively unrewarding. You have to reaaaaally enjoy hacking and the game you're trying to hack to realistic work on a patch for it.

Fire Emblem's a niche game series and the pre-GBA games in particular are fairly unknown and unpopular. It also doesn't help that the earlier the game, the more obtuse it is to hack, due to stuff like space limitations and archaic coding.

With everything in mind, it shouldn't be a surprise that some of the FE games don't have complete patches even now.

Celice pretty much summed up the translation situation correctly. However, I believe the FE2 and FE4 patches were released first and then Firelizard came along to translate FE6 and next FE5. Later came the FE3 patch and finally the FE1 patch.

Personally, I'd love to help improve the FE5 patch, but I know how hard it is and I know I won't ever have the motivation :S

Edited by VincentASM

ROM hacking is an obscure profession, yet one that's highly demanded. It's also difficult to master and relatively unrewarding. You have to reaaaaally enjoy hacking and the game you're trying to hack to realistic work on a patch for it.

Fire Emblem's a niche game series and the pre-GBA games in particular are fairly unknown and unpopular. It also doesn't help that the earlier the game, the more obtuse it is to hack, due to stuff like space limitations and archaic coding.

With everything in mind, it shouldn't be a surprise that some of the FE games don't have complete patches even now.

With bigger communities like the Pokemon fandom, there are more tools and tutorials available. It's more user friendly for those who want to mess around with a game of the series' inner workings because there are so many people tinkering with it.

Not so much in the Fire Emblem fandom, at least to that scale.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• 7 months later...

Hey guys,

I just wanted you to know that I *am* working on this still. I've started over so the glitches caused by my older patch won't happen.

Are you retranslating the dialogue entirely? I have been replaying it lately, and there's a ton of awkward wording and poor sentence construction, as well as a number of lines of dialogue that are completely omitted from the other patch. (Raydrik's comment about how Nanna's bloodline is 'unmistakable', referencing her resemblance to Raquesis, for example).

Further to that end - Do you actually have access to a dump of the Japanese script?