Force HHM?

Klokinator

I looked at sock's thread, and it's a patch that changes the game to default to Eliwood mode on game start. I don't know what offset it's at (IPS file, opens up scrambled for me) that I change the lord mode, and you (Brendor) just told me there's "another byte" I can change for difficulty, but didn't state where the byte was.

What offset for lord mode?

What offset for difficulty?

This should pretty much solve the topic if we can all just give the specific answer instead of casually mentioning things that refer to other things. Specifics. Let's use them.

maybe you could try critical thinking

"oh if this can change it into eliwood mode it can probably change it into hector mode too"

you could also diff the patched file with the base ROM and figure out the one byte that changes that way

Edited by CT075

maybe you could try critical thinking

"oh if this can change it into eliwood mode it can probably change it into hector mode too"

It's an IPS file. Scrambled. He didn't list an offset. How am I supposed to know where the IPS file writes to?

I'm sure if I were a genius, I'd know exactly what this shit meant.

0c3dbd6838.png

That was actually helpful. Thanks cam.

785337b1a7.png

Now I know how to use file compare. I didn't even know that was a thing until I googled it but yay HxD.

I don't see the byte for difficulty there though, what's the offset? It appears three bytes were changed with the first patch on the FEU link and if I'm looking for 00 and 40, none of them are apparently difficulty settings?

Ah. Well shit.

Also, I actually patched sock's patch onto my rom, and this happened.

e2dce92d8d.png39ab1bef09.png39ba701451.png

It didn't start me in Eliwood Mode. It started me in Lyn mode, but the chapter thing was blue so apparently it was lyn hard mode? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or maybe it only works on an unmodified vanilla rom?

Edit: I just watched the video sock put up. It doesn't... even... start you in eliwood mode... what?

Edited by Kloknihater

I JUST realized what sock's patch did. Wow, I'm a fucking idiot lol. I suppose it's proper to say that I don't want the game to just start in a mode, I actually need it to start in the mode, with the proper difficulty, and on the proper chapter. All in all, it seems like just including a save file will save more time. Eliwood mode, for the intent of Sock's patch, is just to fix the various lyn mode bugs, right? If so, it's only 30% of what I need.

In any case, I apparently do need asm, so a save file will be the easiest answer. Thanks for the patience.

use soc's patch and then event the prologue to lead directly into c11

actually i'm pretty sure there are options in the chapter data editor that can allow you to do this in like five minutes

EDIT

by this i mean turn the prologue into a clone of c11

"set the prologue's events to use c11's, set the map/etc and it will just naturally lead into c12 after that"

Edited by CT075

I did it, it worked! I still have to set it to hard mode, but still!

Now brendor, you said I'd need asm for the hard mode setting. How would I go about this? And if I RAM hacked, would it be permanent or temporary?

don't bother with RAM hacking

just 0x0802DF42 zero out the 03 D0

that removes the branch that makes it not write 0x40 to that memory location

(on a side note, this information took all of 45 seconds to come up with and i'm kind of surprised that brendor didn't already)

Edited by CT075

don't bother with RAM hacking

just 0x0802DF42 zero out the 03 D0

that removes the branch that makes it not write 0x40 to that memory location

(on a side note, this information took all of 45 seconds to come up with and i'm kind of surprised that brendor didn't already)

Awesome. I'll look at this when I get out of class and let you know if it worked.

Yesssss, everything works perfectly now! In fact, it even had the bonus of eliminating easy mode entirely, so a dumb player won't be like "Well if HHM is the hard mode, surely the easy mode will be like the same game but easier!" (It is not like that). I'm also going to make Eliwood mode link to Hector mode as well, so all redundancies will be in place. Thanks a ton, guys.