ARMADS!!!'s Art Thread (feedback is always welcome!)

ARMADS!!!

Hey, I want to improve my art and the people I know in real life don't give me very reliable feeback so I decided to post my stuff here. Any sort of opinion, criticism or feedback in general is very appreciated, even if it's something harsh (because no one evolves only getting praise), the more specific the better (but don't refrain from commenting if you don't have a super specific critic, anything works) . Are the popotions or faces off or anything? Does it still look too begginer-like? i really wanna know what's the general impression on my art and to improve. Also, when I have more posts here, don't refrain from commenting on the older things in here if you still want to.

(also don't mind that I don't color my stuff).

For now this thread is supposed to be just for my drawings, but I might post more stuff here evntually.

Thanks for your time. :)

First I'll put these ones that are a tad old (like a year or so), don't think I improved a lot since then so it doesn't make difference.

I know the quality of the photos is not the best, it worsened when I passed the photo throught my email and then to here.

IMG_20240126_100915.jpg

IMG_20240126_101141.jpg

Edited by ARMADS!!!

These other two are only pencil (the second one I didn't even finish yet but I thinkI'll leave the first one like this, I'm always fearful I might screw up the drawing when passing the pen over it).

Spoiler

IMG-20240126-095529-1.jpg

Spoiler

https://imgur.com/SYvgweJ

(thatone isn't finished yet, I'm just showing the progress)

Edited by ARMADS!!!

Two more (that are actually the same but I took two photos to be able to avoid another drawing that was on other part of the page, that I disliked)

Her neck is supposed to be freakishly long, just to note.

Spoiler

IMG-20240126-095150-1.jpg

(That's the link to imgur for the same image: https://imgur.com/sESN8TR)

IMG-20240126-101731-1.jpg

Link to imgur for the same image: https://imgur.com/k6vPfhz

(ignore that brownish stain near her shoulder, I hurt my finger without realizing while passing the pen throught the drawing and stained it with blood by accident (I was so pissed, because it was such a minor cut... and it fucked up the drawing a bit)

I think that for today it might be it, in terms of drawings, but if anyone says anything here I'll comeback to respond.

At this point I think I made it a bit obvious that I like to draw witches/mages/sorceres, all of the drawings on the thread as of right now, except the ones on the first post, are something of the like (or maybe the woman with the bun on the first post is one too, idk), and a bunch of the stuff I plan on posting here on the future is too.

Edited by ARMADS!!!

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The links don't seem to be working.

By the links you mean the images? (I didn't puy them as links, just copy pasted into spoilertags). None of them show up?

2 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

By the links you mean the images? (I didn't puy them as links, just copy pasted into spoilertags). None of them show up?

Yes, the images aren't showing up for me. It's just a hyperlink.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Yes, the images aren't showing up for me. It's just a hyperlink.

Ok, I think I know why: I inserted the images (with the "insert image" function, took them from my computer) but since they couldn't be put insode spoiler tags like this, I then copied the images (after putting them on the post) and pasted into a spoilertag, and then deleted them as inserted images, maybe that resulted in some problem...

Thanks for letting me know, I'll edit the posts now and simply let the images inserted normally and outside of spoiler tags and see if it works

Ok, I posted the images again, now as PNGs (except for the first post, those I uploaded by attaching files throught SF, but I only managed to do it on the first one due to lack of space). Please let me know if any doesn't work again (I suspect there's a chance that the ones on the first post might not work but I'm not sure).

EDIT: Actually... now I can't acess them too, I don't know what the hell went wrong, I'll have to see this now.

EDIT 2: @Jotari ok, I edited again, converted the images to jpeg again and put them on a smaller size. Can you see them now or they still show up as links? 

Edited by ARMADS!!!

I'm not all that great at critiquing, so I apologize if I effectively say nothing, lol.

I love the intricate detail that you're putting into each of your drawings. Also, I don't know if this is the angle that you're aiming for, but I really like the almost gothic style you've got; I'm a sucker for that. Out of all the pieces you've shown here, the one that stands out the most to me is the lady in the lake. It seems like the most developed as a standalone idea, and I think it could be a really pretty piece if you complete it.

Do you have any specific inspirations? What kinds of tools do you use?

13 hours ago, indigoasis said:

I'm not all that great at critiquing, so I apologize if I effectively say nothing, lol.

I love the intricate detail that you're putting into each of your drawings. Also, I don't know if this is the angle that you're aiming for, but I really like the almost gothic style you've got; I'm a sucker for that. Out of all the pieces you've shown here, the one that stands out the most to me is the lady in the lake. It seems like the most developed as a standalone idea, and I think it could be a really pretty piece if you complete it.

Do you have any specific inspirations? What kinds of tools do you use?

No, I liked your comment. Thanks for giving me your feedback! So you managed to be able to see all of the drawings then?(I was afraid that only the first two would work, but you could see the 6 then?)

Actually Um not aiming for a gothic style but I realize they end up looking like this, once I showed one drawing to my mother and she told me that the people I draw are a bit scary (wasn't an insult, she likes this sorta stuff) and after that I realized that all of them really do look a bit like that (I wouldn't say scary, think you descbribed well with "almost gothic" lol), while its never the original idea I don't try to make them not like that too.

About the girl on the lake, thanks a lot for the compliment, initially I wasn't planning on finishing the background with pen at all because I don't wanna fuck up, and because originally the idea was for the lake to be all black and my pen is way too thin to paint all that, this is probably one of my only drawings that take direct inspiration from something -almost like some sort of fanart - I inspired on the illustration of a song from a rythm game: Tokashite from Voez (but later I sorta gave up by drawing the moon and clouds and setting most of the butterflies on fire). I figure I might actually finish it, and not paint the water black then (if I screw up I have a photo of the drawing now, that would be before the screw up, so it's not a huge problem).

About inspirations, I'd say a lot comes from Fire Emblem and 90s anime/japanese games stuff (I even follow some accounts on Instagram of 90s animes and games and they inspire me to go draw something immediately!), also I like to make stuff as flashy and detailed as possible, I like to draw jewerly and pretty dresses too, and when I'm not sure about what else to add to a drawing I just add stuff I find generally cool (fire, butterflies, swords/daggers/axes, some laser beam out of someone's hand, clocks, piercings, roses and other flowers, or whatever else). I also have a slight inspiration from ancient japanese culture, 90s fashion shows (those that have Vivienne Westwood-like necklaces and this sort of stuff) and belly dancers (specially the dancers from Fire Emblem tbh), also I adore mages and cult-like robes lol (specially those fancy ones with diadems, shoulder pads, necklaces, etc), because of Fire Emblem I grew to love flashy mage/cult/priest/manakete attires like Bantu's robes in feh, Jhan's robes, Merric's clothes with those shoulder pads with stones hanging from it and giant cloak with hat (I love mage hats in general), Ishtar's giantic shoulder pads and cape, and those evil sorcerers from 90s animes/games. Also a bit from the arts from Rayark.inc rythm games (Cytus, Voez), Bayonetta, the official and concept arts from Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, Hunter x Hunter, Ghibli movies, flashy super heroes and super villains, and sorta gothic stuff (think FEH book III stuff, or Reira from Nana, its that sort of sorta delicate goth), I also like when stuff somehow gives off that vibe when you stare at the starts and they're aggresively twinkling in red and blue (is hard to explain the vibe it gives in my head though lol) and stuff that look almost trippy (like Hunter x Hunter, ghibli stuff, old games and animes,...). I mean, maybe Im forgetting some huge font of inspiration, Im not sure, but I think the list is long enough as it is.

About tools, I just use whatever paper, whatever pencil and to finish, one of those Sakura pigma micron pens (mine is 0,15mm, the best pen I ever bought and the only fancy art material I use). Also, I have an eraser that works like a pencil/pen (and I sharp the tip so it becomes more precise) and it's the most useful thing you can ever buy to erase tiny spots without erasing more than you wanted.

Edited by ARMADS!!!

On 1/27/2024 at 2:13 AM, ARMADS!!! said:

So you managed to be able to see all of the drawings then?(I was afraid that only the first two would work, but you could see the 6 then?)

I did, yeah!... until the last four turned into hyperlinks, but that's fine.

This is totally up to you, but it might help to upload your stuff onto something like Imgur first so you can just copy/paste the image without having to upload it directly from your phone or computer (and also have another sort of archive for your stuff, too).

About the girl on the lake, thanks a lot for the compliment, initially I wasn't planning on finishing the background with pen at all because I don't wanna fuck up, and because originally the idea was for the lake to be all black and my pen is way too thin to paint all that, this is probably one of my only drawings that take direct inspiration from something -almost like some sort of fanart - I inspired on the illustration of a song from a rythm game: Tokashite from Voez (but later I sorta gave up by drawing the moon and clouds and setting most of the butterflies on fire). I figure I might actually finish it, and not paint the water black then (if I screw up I have a photo of the drawing now, that would be before the screw up, so it's not a huge problem).

I wouldn't worry too much about messing it up. As Bob Ross once said, "We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents."

Also, I have an eraser that works like a pencil/pen (and I sharp the tip so it becomes more precise) and it's the most useful thing you can ever buy to erase tiny spots without erasing more than you wanted.

I would love to get one of those. I usually just use a regular ol' pink eraser and hope for the best, lol.

13 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

I did, yeah!... until the last four turned into hyperlinks, but that's fine.

This is totally up to you, but it might help to upload your stuff onto something like Imgur first so you can just copy/paste the image without having to upload it directly from your phone or computer (and also have another sort of archive for your stuff, too).

I wouldn't worry too much about messing it up. As Bob Ross once said, "We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents."

I would love to get one of those. I usually just use a regular ol' pink eraser and hope for the best, lol.

Oh ok, I realized they became hyperlinks too, I'll probably start putting it on Imgur.

Yeah but sometimes you really screw up, I made a drawing of Vega from Street Fighter once and the whole thing looked pretty alright but after putting the pen I screwed his eye and... a bit more of his face and now it looks sorta bad because of it (that's actually the reason Im weary about this). But alas, now I take a photo of the drawings before using the pen in case I screw up, so it's alright.

PINK ERASER?! Those are the worst!(along with any colorful eraser, really) They stain the whole paper, I use those cheap white ones, found that the cheaper and less hard the better (for some reason, but still true).

Update: I replaced every image that wasn't working by a link to Imgur (later I'll try to make the future images show up here as photos instead of links, but for now it's this). If it's not working again for whatever reason I'd appreciate it if anyone let me know, I tried both logged in and logged off of my account (both the Imgur account and the SF one) and it'd worked so I'm counting on it to work.

8 hours ago, indigoasis said:

The links work! I don't know if it's just me, but I think they look higher quality, too.

Yeah, I noticed the quality is better, its because the first time I took a photo from my phone, emailed it to myself (so I'd be able to uplodad the photos here throught my computer, not throught my phone), downloaded the photos from my e-mail on my PC, converted them and resized and then put them here, lol the quality dropped a LOT.

Great that they work now! I'll probably upload the first two on Imgur eventually too.

I made a (very simple) redesign for teenager/adult Pearl from Ace Attorney, it's a bit old too (like a year old) but I remembered it existed because I'm replaying AA2 right now, so I figured I could post it here:

Spoiler

Screenshot-2024-01-26-10-14-41-189-com-m

For who doesn't know (and without spoiling the games): Pearl is a character in Ace Attorney that first appears as an 8/9 years old kid and then comes back some games later as an 18 years old, problem is, when she comes back, she looks exactly the same she did as a kid! Even her height is kid-like... she's 1,40m/4'6" as an adult, you can tell the developers were afraid of changing her too much and it ended up looking sorta stupid. I barely see any fan redesigns for her despite the fact that 90% of AA fans hate her older self design (because... well, it's undeniably stupid) so I decided to do some concepts myself (and decided to share it because the world needs more concepts of redesign for older Pearl).

* There's a chance someone here might have come across this drawing, that's because I had already posted this on Reddit once (but now I erased it from there, to not have my Reddit account associated to my SF one), just mentioning in case anyone thinks I stole it from someone (if more proof is required, I can sign the drawing, take another photo and repost it).

What I changed on the redesign (in relation to her original 18 years old design):

I found out that Pearl's original hairstyle is an actual traditional chinese hairstyle, so I looked up for others chinese hairstyles that are similar to hers (so she wouldn't have the exact same hairstyle as a kid but also not one that is way to different) and then tested how some would look (I changed them a bit by adding her original bangs, and sometimes a long strand of hair with a bid), I wanted to give her older self a slightly more elaborated and and sophisticated hairstyle (and look, overall), like her mother and her aunt. Also I gave her necklace 3 bids instead of 2 (which is how many she has on her official teen design) since the bids represent how good you are at spirit channeling and she's supposed to be as good as Maya (who has 3 bids), also I tried to make her face look less childlike (but kept her big forehead)... though that might be a bit hard to notice because of the simpler artstyle, and decided to make her taller than Maya too (just out of personal preference). That's about it, I know it's not a lot of changes but I didn't wanna change her too much too, in the end what matters the most are the hairstyles. You can notice that there's a bigger drawing on the lower part of the sheet, I cut that one off of the photo because I think it's a bit bad now (the proportions are a bit bad, and their faces look sorta off). I was gonna give her some pretty kimono too but I don't think I know how to draw a cool one like Morgan's or Misty's yet so I just made it about the hairstyles.

Edited by ARMADS!!!

I'd say they probably wanted to keep such a similar design for Pearl precisely because they changed so much else about her. From what I recall her personality went through a complete inversion. They probably wanted the same design to remain grounded.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I'd say they probably wanted to keep such a similar design for Pearl precisely because they changed so much else about her. From what I recall her personality went through a complete inversion. They probably wanted the same design to remain grounded.

Fair point, although I still think it could've been done a bit better, I wouldn't mind if the design was just similar, I mean... Maya's older design is very similar to her original trilogy self but it still is visibly different, I don't think they needed a full 180° in terms of design like they did with AA4's Phoneix, but the way Pearl looks pretty much the same as her kid self always bothered me (specially because she barely changed from 9 to 18! It's a weird age range to almost not change at all!). Although, in addition to what you said, they probably did this because a bunch of people were absolutely pissed with the characters that got a notable redesign in AA4 (like Ema and Phoenix), so I sorta get where they were coming from, I just find think there were better ways to invoke the familiarity without making it SO similar (I mean, she grew only some 15 centimeters after she was 8...).

I don't wanna make it sound like I think I'm better than whoever made that design (I think they made a poor choice but I don't believe a single choice reflects on the overall talent of the designer), doing a fan concept surely is way easier than being responsible for the actual thing that will become canon, for real, in the actual franchise. If you're responsible for the official thing and make it too different people freak out like they did with Ema, if you keep it too similar then it's like Pearl, it's very common to see uproar about timeskip designs in general so I get it's no easy task and no matter what route they had chosen for Pearl, someone would hate it anyway.

I'm in the mood of sharing something but don't have any bigger drawing finished to share right now, so I'll leave this tiny sketch I made, cause I quite liked how it turned out:

https://imgur.com/EyzjEq9