Sigurd Dies At The End - A FE4 Choose Your Own Adventure Story

Jotari

I tend to view Sigurd as a character quite differently from a lot of other people, including Kaga himself. People try to attach some fatal flaw to Sigurd to make his downfall something akin to a Greek tragedy, but in my eyes, Sigurd basically made every correct choice and still just got kicked in the teeth and immolated by life. His tragedy is that he was basically as good as a person could reasonably be and it still wasn't enough. So about five or six years ago I wrote a Choose Your Own Adventure story analyzing every choice Sigurd had available to him and the consequences of doing something different. I then promptly forgot about it and only recently remembered about it. So...yeah, here you go, enjoy.

https://html-classic.itch.zone/html/10027672/index.html

Despite the title, the endings areĀ  a bit more varied than Sigurd dying in different ways. There is one, mostly, happy ending where he gets to live, and a few endings where he can win by acting wildly out of character. And even one ending where you can get so many people killed that Claud ends up running the empire! So, yeah, it's pretty modular in what you can do. If anyone has any suggestions for any alternate choices that you feel could be available, speak up and I could add a route. The very laxed writing style I went with makes it pretty easy to add additional content.

Also I've spent several hours today trying to figure out how to put music into Twine using Java Script to no avail, so if anyone is more familiar with Twine than me and can help to put a soundtrack on the thing, then that's be great.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

People try to attach some fatal flaw to Sigurd to make his downfall something akin to a Greek tragedy, but in my eyes, Sigurd basically made every correct choice and still just got kicked in the teeth and immolated by life.

Arvis is love, Arvis is life.

His fatal flaw is talking to women. If he was a real gamer and didn't talk to women, everything would have been fine.

I might check this out later, thank you. I can't help out with Twine, though.

This was really fun to do. I've never played FE4, my only experience with Sigurd being in engage, but I can tell that the game is probably awesome (story wise at least)!

Anyway the ending I got was: "You'll never take me alive!" you cry as you stick Arden on Chalphy's ramparts to defend you. Then you leave Arden where he is, Sortie, and just kill all the soldiers yourself. But now you're in a pickle, as you've killed offical messengers from the king. Of course you're father has been falsely arrested, so it's not like you had a choice. Only thing you can do now is fight your way to Belhalla and get to the bottom of this. So, basically, Chapter 5 only with the Endgame Map. Except, you only have half your army since you abandoned the canon path and went home before even recruiting Lewyn. And Byron isn't there to give you Tyrfing since Langbolt naturally still has him at the Sileese border area. So needless to say, with no holy weapon and only half your army, getting past Mjolnir and Helswath is pretty much impossible, and even if you do, Alvis just roasts you at the end.

The lesson I took away from this: I should just stay with my hot forest girl wife and let everyone else burn while I'm in my corner. Basically just be myself instead of being a hero!

7 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Arvis is love, Arvis is life.

His fatal flaw is talking to women. If he was a real gamer and didn't talk to women, everything would have been fine.

I might check this out later, thank you. I can't help out with Twine, though.

Killing or abandoning Deirdre are genuine options.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Killing or abandoning Deirdre are genuine options.

Ā 

Spoiler

As a pro gamer, I fight the savages of Verdane myself. I do forget about Edean, but still charge forward. It's basically normal FE4, except I also kill Ayra and Shannan to boost my kill-to-death ratio. I also reject Deidre because a real gamer does not talk to women.

I wish I was presented the choice to fight Eldigan or convince him, so I could give my bro an honorable death at the hands of a fellow pro gamer. This is totally what I did instead of having Lachesis talk to him, by the way. It is disgraceful for gamer to make another game talk to women, even if they are siblings.

The envoy of Silesse arrives, I see-

>she urges

Well, that settles the decision. Thus ends Sigurd the gamer.

Ā 

Hey, I've been lurking in the Kaga FE let's play thread and decided to give this a read.

Spoiler

In true FE4 fashion, you can't save everyone. Probably the best ending possible for in-character Sigurd is just sitting in Silesia with Deirdre or Celice, though leaving Eltshan in jail ends pretty well too. Murdering Deirdre and backstabbing Aida, leaving Jugdral to Alvis or Claude might be the best way to do things outside of following canon.

Also, I'd like to report a bug: not helping Lachesis at the start of "chapter 2" results in placeholder text. Aside from that, I enjoyed this Jugdral journey.

1 minute ago, Darrman said:

Also, I'd like to report a bug, not helping Lachesis at the start of "chapter 2" results in placeholder text. Aside from that, I enjoyed this Jugdral journey.

Sorry about that. I'll have a look to see what's happening there. It's possible I just plain didn't write that route and never noticed.

How do I view this story? When I attempt to download the webpage linked as file so that I can import it into Twine, I get the error message "couldn't download, no permissions". What am I doing wrong here?

11 minutes ago, Cdijk16 said:

How do I view this story? When I attempt to download the webpage linked as file so that I can import it into Twine, I get the error message "couldn't download, no permissions". What am I doing wrong here?

Can you not play it directly from the browser? If not, try on a different browser perhaps. If that also fails, then here's a direct download link for the html file

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/a9kyukssjbjnrtxtgzil2/Sigurd-Dies-At-The-End.html?rlkey=aqzh7x2n8gwb53hb56n0g0qbf&dl=0

39 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Can you not play it directly from the browser? If not, try on a different browser perhaps. If that also fails, then here's a direct download link for the html file

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/a9kyukssjbjnrtxtgzil2/Sigurd-Dies-At-The-End.html?rlkey=aqzh7x2n8gwb53hb56n0g0qbf&dl=0

What's weird is, it was working for me yesterday. But now I'm having the same issue as the other commenter. Did you make any changes to it in the meantime?

Actually, not exactly the same issue. I'm getting a webpage that looks like the following:

Spoiler

<Error>

<Code>AccessDenied</Code>

<Message>Access denied.</Message>

<Details>Anonymous caller does not have storage.objects.get access to the Google Cloud Storage object. Permission 'storage.objects.get' denied on resource (or it may not exist).</Details>

</Error>

Ā 

1 hour ago, Cdijk16 said:

Ā 

10 minutes ago, Shanty Pete&#x27;s 1st Mate said:

What's weird is, it was working for me yesterday. But now I'm having the same issue as the other commenter. Did you make any changes to it in the meantime?

Actually, not exactly the same issue. I'm getting a webpage that looks like the following:

Ā  Hide contents

<Error>

<Code>AccessDenied</Code>

<Message>Access denied.</Message>

<Details>Anonymous caller does not have storage.objects.get access to the Google Cloud Storage object. Permission 'storage.objects.get' denied on resource (or it may not exist).</Details>

</Error>

Ā 

I did quickly try to fix that missing route mentioned before. Try this backup link

https://jotarijotarison.itch.io/sigurd-dies-at-the-end-back-up

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Ā 

I did quickly try to fix that missing route mentioned before. Try this backup link

https://jotarijotarison.itch.io/sigurd-dies-at-the-end-back-up

So that works... kind of. It inexplicably forces my phone into landscape mode, and doesn't appear to have any sort of a scroll bar. I can try it on my laptop later, though.

5 minutes ago, Shanty Pete&#x27;s 1st Mate said:

So that works... kind of. It inexplicably forces my phone into landscape mode, and doesn't appear to have any sort of a scroll bar. I can try it on my laptop later, though.

The link in the OP should be working now too, and might function better on mobile.

54 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The link in the OP should be working now too, and might function better on mobile.

Yes it does. The day is saved!

Really enjoying this little game. "Player beware, you choose the snare!"

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

I couldn't play it directly from browser at time of posting, was getting the same error as Shanty Pete's 1st Mate. That's why I tried to download it. Anyways, it is working now.

Wtf. So I delegated to Alec and things didn't go well...but why would anyone delegate to Alec when Arden is around?

The best part about this game is Alvis dying. I mean I find him an interesting and somewhat sympathetic character, but I just love the idea of all his plotting against Sigurd going more obviously and immediately against him.

Edited by Original Alear

4 hours ago, Original Alear said:

Wtf. So I delegated to Alec and things didn't go well...but why would anyone delegate to Alec when Arden is around?

Because turban.

17 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Can we get endings for delegating to different members of Chalphy's knights?

Certainly possible. Though I don't know if I could come up with many logical differences that would result in it.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Because turban.

You should have made an ending where Sigurd kills Alvis but then Alec backstabs Sigurd and becomes the Hardin of FE4.
EDIT: Do you really think Alvis would've murdered Sigurd even if he didn't fall in love with Deirdre? Dang, if so, even bigger schmuck than I thought.

Edited by Original Alear

21 minutes ago, Original Alear said:

You should have made an ending where Sigurd kills Alvis but then Alec backstabs Sigurd and becomes the Hardin of FE4.
EDIT: Do you really think Alvis would've murdered Sigurd even if he didn't fall in love with Deirdre? Dang, if so, even bigger schmuck than I thought.

Yes, I think part of his motivation was to eliminate all rivals and consolidate power with no one to oppose him. That's why he engineered Reptor's death as well.

21 hours ago, Jotari said:

Certainly possible. Though I don't know if I could come up with many logical differences that would result in it.

Midir: You have delegated to a dead guy. Your entire army disbands, and Verdane counquers Grannvale.

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty great, but the ending branches that involve Dierdre sticking with Sigurd all the way till the confrontation at Bellhala don't seem to account for the fact that the Loptyr sect would want to preserve her to get Julius born, so they would try and convince Alvis to leave her alive. I think that's a mild oversight that could be corrected relatively easily.

On 4/6/2024 at 12:18 PM, Revier said:

This is pretty great, but the ending branches that involve Dierdre sticking with Sigurd all the way till the confrontation at Bellhala don't seem to account for the fact that the Loptyr sect would want to preserve her to get Julius born, so they would try and convince Alvis to leave her alive. I think that's a mild oversight that could be corrected relatively easily.

Alvis wouldn't really have any reason to recognize who she is or much motivation to listen to the Lopt Sect on that point. If he didn't manage to spare his own brother his capability to spare some random girl he doesn't know would be pretty limited.