Before I start...

I'm about to start my first playthrough of this game in my quest to beat all FE games on all routes. I know I need all legendary weapons by the end of the game to get more chapters. What are things I need to pay attention to in order to get all of them? i.e. Are any of them easy to miss?

Most of the requirements for the gaiden chapters where the legendary weapons are obtained are really lenient and easy to fulfill if you know about them beforehand, but it is possible to fail some of them if you're playing blind and not resetting for unit deaths.

Here are the requirements to unlock the gaiden chapters:

1. Chapter 8x: Keep Lillina alive.

2. Chapter 12x: Beat it in 25 turns or less.

3. Chapter 14x: Beat it in 25 turns or less while keeping Sophia alive.

4. Chapter 16x: Keep Douglas alive. This is the easiest one to miss if playing blind because he is an enemy unit and the game doesn't make it clear you're supposed to keep him alive. I recommend using a Sleep staff on him and then walling him off with a few unarmed units.

5. Chapter 20x Ilia: Beat it in 25 turns while Zelot and Juno are alive.

6. Chapter 20x Sacae: Beat it in 25 turns while Sue, Shin and Dayan are alive.

7. Chapter 21x: Beat it in 30 turns while Melady and Zeiss are alive.

I'll also add that if you do pass the turn limit on any of these chapters then you'll get a cutscenes where Roy or someone else will say that it's taking too long and that they won't be able to longer in the area, or the boss form the Paralogue itself will appear to declare they've already stolen the weapon. So as long as your don't let the requisite characters die, you can freely reset should you fail to clear the chapter in time, and even on the character front, Lillina, Sophia, Douglas, Juno and Dayan are all obtained on the same chapter as the one leading to the paralogue. So the only characters you really need to watch out for are Zealot, Sue, Sin, Miledy and Zeiss.

Also don't break or have someone holding a legendary weapon die. As far as I know, you don't just need to visit the Paralogues, the legendary weapons need to actually be intact and in your inventory in some capacity by the time you reach the end of the game.

Edited by Jotari

In addition to everything else said FE6 has two route splits so youre gonna have to do a second playthrough if youre going for all routes like you said at the beginning.

11 hours ago, AzureEmperor said:

In addition to everything else said FE6 has two route splits so youre gonna have to do a second playthrough if youre going for all routes like you said at the beginning.

It's worth noting, also, that both route splits open, and close, before the "true ending" checkpoint. The split segements are chapters 10-11 and 17-20x, while the true ending occurs after chapter 22. Ergo, you can get the "true ending" just once out of two playthroughs, and still experience all the chapters and playable characters that the game has to offer.