Hopes and dreams for the next Mario Kart game

With the Booster Course Pass all said and done and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in general being the best-selling game in the entire Mario franchise, I think it's more than safe to say that the next Nintendo console is absolutely going to see another Mario Kart game. So, I wanted to spark a discussion thread where we share all of our hopes and dreams for the next game. Whether they be characters, tracks, etc., what are your hopes and dreams for the next Mario Kart game? For me:

• A single-player Adventure Mode in the style of Crash Team Racing and Diddy Kong Racing
  • Dynamic music changes for each lap / section of a track
  • 48 tracks at launch
  • Track design more in the vein of Ninja Hideaway and Squeaky Clean Sprint, mostly for the nitro tracks
  • A character roster that dives deeper into Mario's own history, along with the Mario-adjacent series
  • Coins as currency for things like character costumes and kart parts and not as an item
  • Character-specific items earned through a meter filled by tricks
  • An art style closer to Super Mario Odyssey; something that mixes realism with vibrant colors

Having friends in real life who actively have time to play it regularly with me and having the time myself. Like when I was young T.T

I'd love to see Double Dash-style driver-passenger teams return. Double Dash is one of mine and my bro's favorite entries in the series because we get to co-op while racing. And there are all sorts of new character pairs they could create, like Rosalina and Luma. On that note, I'd like to see more Donkey Kong and Wario characters in the roster. And seeing as Geno and Mallow are back in the spotlight thanks to the SMRPG remaster, I'd love to see them as guest racers.

11 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

I'd love to see Double Dash-style driver-passenger teams return. Double Dash is one of mine and my bro's favorite entries in the series because we get to co-op while racing. And there are all sorts of new character pairs they could create, like Rosalina and Luma. On that note, I'd like to see more Donkey Kong and Wario characters in the roster. And seeing as Geno and Mallow are back in the spotlight thanks to the SMRPG remaster, I'd love to see them as guest racers.

Ooh, if we were seeing pairs, how about some from Paper Mario? Like...

Koops & Parakarry (replacing Koopa & Parakoopa)

Vivian & Bow

Bobbery & Bombette

Olivia & Olly

That's one of the bigger things I'd like to see: representation of minor Mario characters who haven't really made a "mainline" appearance. Maybe bring back Toadsworth and Fawful, too!

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

Having friends in real life who actively have time to play it regularly with me and having the time myself. Like when I was young T.T

Sad, but true.

I just want Diddy Kong to be base game this time, 8 felt so dead without him. As for everything else I know they'll put out a solid core experience so I'm not stressing about it.

The perfect Mario Kart game already exists in 8 so its hard to top that. But in terms of characters there are things I'd like to see.

King K Rool and Cranky joining the racing roster. They're technically still Mario characters. 

I also think it be fun if spinn off characters were allowed to join. People like Kammy or Fawful. 

Have higher difficulty levels single player GP force you to rely less on  items and force you to improve on  good racing techniques, in exchange of opponents not heavily relying on items. Basically you might be able to rely on a occasional thunder in 100cc, but all you can expect in 150cc would be a single mushroom most of the time with maybe occasionally a star, so you'll have to constantly stay ahead and consistently drift boost. I'd prefer this more than the cheapness we have now.

Edited by henrymidfields

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2024 at 4:11 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Ooh, if we were seeing pairs, how about some from Paper Mario? Like...

Koops & Parakarry (replacing Koopa & Parakoopa)

Vivian & Bow

Bobbery & Bombette

Olivia & Olly

That's one of the bigger things I'd like to see: representation of minor Mario characters who haven't really made a "mainline" appearance. Maybe bring back Toadsworth and Fawful, too!

For Bow, I would suggest Bootler, being her butler and all. Since you got Bombette and Bobbery in there, I'd suggest duos of Goombario and Goombella, and Kooper and Koops as well. Although Koops also has Koopie Koo as a viable partner option... Honestly, I'd recommend including a lot of the partners as costume options for basic racers. Goombario and Goombella for Goomba, Kooper and Koops for Koopa Troopa, Parakarry for Paratroopa, Bow for Boo, etc. It's about time Mario Kart featured most of the usual Mario minions as playable racers all in one game.

Edited by Lord_Brand

15 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

For Bow, I would suggest Bootler, being her butler and all. Since you got Bombette and Bobbery in there, I'd suggest duos of Goombario and Goombella, and Kooper and Koops as well. Although Koops also has Koopie Koo as a viable partner option... Honestly, I'd recommend including a lot of the partners as costume options for basic racers. Goombario and Goombella for Goomba, Kooper and Koops for Koopa Troopa, Parakarry for Paratroopa, Bow for Boo, etc. It's about time Mario Kart featured most of the usual Mario minions as playable racers all in one game.

Doing alternate skins would be an option. We've already seen this with the various colors of Shy Guy and Yoshi, so this would kind of expand upon that. It could also allow for a system where the base forms are available right away, but the skins can be unlocked later on - thus balancing the competing interesrs of different player types. And hey, if it lets Toadsworth into the game for the first time ever, then I'm all for it!

On 6/22/2024 at 2:23 PM, AzureEmperor said:

I just want Diddy Kong to be base game this time, 8 felt so dead without him. As for everything else I know they'll put out a solid core experience so I'm not stressing about it.

On 6/23/2024 at 9:51 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

King K Rool and Cranky joining the racing roster. They're technically still Mario characters. 

It's been over two decades since Diddy Kong Racing came out for N64. I think Donkey Kong Racing is finally due.

41 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

And hey, if it lets Toadsworth into the game for the first time ever, then I'm all for it!

Toadsworth was in Double Dash...as the guy who drove you around when you won the Grand Prix.

• 1 month later...

Impressive. Racing teams are a novel idea. Though feels a little weird for some of them to have their nemeses on the team... ^^;

K. Rool and King Boo could easily captain their own teams full of Kremlings and hostile ghosts, with Hellen Gravely being on King Boo's team as well. As for who would take their spots on DK and Luigi's teams, Candy or Tiny could work for the DKC (Ah, now I get it! XD), and for the Gusters, perhaps two of the ghosts from LM2 (shown to be friendly when the Dark Moon is intact)? Madame Clairvoya and Marty would also be heartfelt choices, being ghosts who were actually helpful or at least friendly to Luigi.

• 2 weeks later...

I just remembered that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe never added a Luigi-themed race course and the closest thing but has is the Luigi’s Mansion battle map from Double Dash.