Direct Partner Showcase + Indie World 27/08/2024

Dayni

6 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Has it really been three years since the Castlevania Advanced collection? Good to see they haven't forgotten. But I hope they have it in them for just one more "Oh Right, these too" Collection. We gotta get Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth, Vampire Killer (sort of a Metroid-style port of Castlevania 1) for the MSX, Castlevania Legends (the one where you play as a girl and Igavania hates since it implies that Belmonts F***), the PS2 games, the Wii fighting game, oh and that XBLA Co-op game where you pick a legacy character and fight through massive levels

Man the Switch looks like it's struggling to run Yakuza Kiwami. That's a PS3 game. And I don't just mean it's on the PS3 era engine, I mean that's literally a PS3 game ported to other platforms.

Castlevania legends is already available on switch on the Gameboy advance virtual console (is that the term they still use?).

What really seems missing to me now are the 3D games. That one with the original Belmont (who pushed the girl Belmont out of canon) the Castlevania 2 sequel with the pokemon like mechanic and the N64 game that everyone hates. Oh, even more than those, how in the world have they not included Symphony of the Night in any of these? Crazy I still haven't played that game when, as far as I can see, it's the highest rated game in the series.

Edited by Jotari

21 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Castlevania legends is already available on switch on the Gameboy advance virtual console (is that the term they still use?).

What really seems missing to me now are the 3D games. That one with the original Belmont (who pushed the girl Belmont out of canon) the Castlevania 2 sequel with the pokemon like mechanic and the N64 game that everyone hates. Oh, even more than those, how in the world have they not included Symphony of the Night in any of these? Crazy I still haven't played that game when, as far as I can see, it's the highest rated game in the series.

At least SotN is on Mobile. Still, yeah. I would've thought it could've been good fit for Dominus Collection, in the same way Dracula X was placed in the Advance Collection.

Perhaps until the next Collection... a 3D Collection? Also still lacking a Rondo port.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Where was this out of curiosity? Haven't seen any confirmation of the reveal's date being as far away, just that it won't release in the financial year.

Huh; I was certain there was an official statement that it won't be announced in 2024, but I can't find it. So, definitely take what I said with a grain of salt and healthy skepticism, as I'm now having trouble finding where I learned it.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

DS Castlevania collection has me invested. I've wanted to play the Soma Cruz sequel and Order of Ecclesia. How integrated is the touch screen into them? Is it an awkward port or did the original games basically ignore the dual screen set up?

I'm not quite sure how Dawn of Sorrow is gonna work if playing on dock, but touch screen is available in hand-held mode.
Ecclesia should be fine either way unless you're playing Albus mode.
I know you didn't ask, but Portrait should also be fine both ways for anyone not playing a certain alternate character mode.
Point is, Dawn being an early DS game put in far more stuff than the sequels that used the touch screen, and all of it bordered on gimmicky. (Drawing magic seals post boss, breaking blocks by touching them)

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

the Castlevania 2 sequel

Took a bit to realize you were talking about the Castlevania 3 sequel, Curse of Darkness.
You know it's a Castlevania 3 sequel because Trevor is in it, which means it's 200 years before Simon, give or take.

Surprised no one's mentioned Castlevania Chronicles continued absence from collections. I know Chronicles X gets overshadowed by Rondo of Blood because it's the same game with uglier graphics, but Chronicles... Chronicles is it's own can of worms.

Anyways, I look forward to finally being able to have the original Capcom vs SNK. But would it really have killed them to throw Rival Schools on the collection?

Looking at the trailer on Steam, there is a part where it says "controller for touch controls". Sounds like regardless of platform, you can just use either control stick for it. Or it's gonna be a combination of directional button presses.

26 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Took a bit to realize you were talking about the Castlevania 3 sequel, Curse of Darkness.

You know it's a Castlevania 3 sequel because Trevor is in it, which means it's 200 years before Simon, give or take.

I knew that, I just plain erased Simon's Quest from my memory, even though I really like that game.

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Looking at the trailer on Steam, there is a part where it says "controller for touch controls". Sounds like regardless of platform, you can just use either control stick for it. Or it's gonna be a combination of directional button presses.

I'm happy with that. I've been intending to replay the DS games for a bit, and not only does this give me an excuse, but it helps if the magic seals are even remotely less annoying.

17 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I knew that, I just plain erased Simon's Quest from my memory, even though I really like that game.

But did you erase Simon Quest from memory?

Spoiler

13 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Nintendo confirmed that the Switch 2 reveal isn't happening this year.

Where did you hear this? My understanding is, they said they will reveal it by March 2025, but haven't said anything precluding an earlier date.

Anyway, crazy that we got "No, this is Patrick!" and "What are ya doin' in my swamp?" in the same Direct. Decade-old memes that stay evergreen.

6 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Huh; I was certain there was an official statement that it won't be announced in 2024, but I can't find it. So, definitely take what I said with a grain of salt and healthy skepticism, as I'm now having trouble finding where I learned it.

Yeah that's the thing, I'd read there would be no release in 2024 (which looked pretty well corroborated and tied to the financial year), hence why I asked.

9 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

But did you erase Simon Quest from memory?

Reveal hidden contents

This is very "We have Castlevania at Home" and I don't mind at all, should look further into it.

7 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Anyway, crazy that we got "No, this is Patrick!" and "What are ya doin' in my swamp?" in the same Direct. Decade-old memes that stay evergreen.

Obligatory all star reference

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Where did you hear this? My understanding is, they said they will reveal it by March 2025, but haven't said anything precluding an earlier date.

Looking back, I don't remember where I saw or heard it, and I'm having trouble finding it, so take it with a grain of salt/healthy skepticism.

There was also, "The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma" in the direct; another evergreen meme.

I was busy with work and other stuff when this happened, so I got spoiled on most of the big news before I watched it.

The Sky remake getting dropped in a sizzle real was very funny. It looks neat. I wonder what's up with the localization, though.

The Capcom Fighting Collection 2 reveal was cool. 7 great fighting games and also Capcom Fighting Evolution(but it's cool that it's included - bad games should be preserved too!). I only have some experience with CvS2, but it's cool that it's easily available on a modern platform. Getting to play Power Stone 2 will be neat. I always remember hearing about that as a "Smash Alternative" back in the days of yore, but never actually played it. WB and Namco could really learn from Capcom's example here.

The Castlevania collection also looks cool. :v

On 8/28/2024 at 11:10 PM, Dayni said:

This is very "We have Castlevania at Home" and I don't mind at all, should look further into it.

Should a titan slumber too many years, they may awake to find themselves covered in moss.
Such it was with Wario Land, and such it is with Castlevania. The giants of our past either stay active, or someone will fill the void.

On 8/26/2024 at 9:13 AM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Haha, I can only throw a shot in the dark based on the demand I see and past collabs.

Franchises they said they want to do - Mario, Star Wars.

Extremely likely/high-demand franchises - Xenoblade, Final Fantasy

Likely to get more - Zelda, Fire Emblem, Persona, One Piece

Moderately likely based on collab history and demand - Pokemon, Tales, Yakuza, SMT, Sonic, Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, Soul Calibur

Franchises Koei owns (free real estate!) - Atelier and "Koei Souls" (Nioh, Wo Long, Rise of the Ronin)

Digimon would be a cool choice for the Musou treatment as well.

I do find it a little funny that Nintendo releases an Indie Direct & Partner Showcase and then, just three days later, releases a third trailer for Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom. Seriously; Nintendo released a third trailer for Echoes of Wisdom just this morning; only three days after the Indie Direct and Partner Showcase. I definitely thought there would be more time between them (but I also thought there wouldn't be another Echoes of Wisdom trailer until the game's launch).