I’m worried about being judged by how I play fire emblem

9000gigabitePC

I have been playing fire emblem since 2015 and don’t get me wrong, I love it. But I have such anxiety about being judged about my play style and being called a “Filthy Casual”. I’ve seen videos on YouTube that show playthroughs of games were it is modded to have 0 growths and sometimes I feel bad about not doing that. For example when I play three houses on maddening, I get to chapter 5 and I do the quest battles before the mission and I get level 1 units to level 5. But I’m also reminded of awakening lunatic where in skirmishes defeating any unit you only get a single point of exp so I feel like this shouldn’t be possible. Another example in engage where I give the Sigurd ring to vander in Anna’s paralouge. They say you shouldn’t invest in vander at all, but I really just want to stop the thieves from taking off with the master seal. And in chapter 7 of engage I have Anna recruited and has micaiah equipped to constantly use up staffs. Also exploring the ring chamber so I get a lot of a and s rank rings.

If anyone judges you for how you play Fire Emblem, just judge them for being judgemental. These games are meant to be played for fun. If you're enjoying them that's what matters. So long as you don't actively complain about them and ignore the advice people give to make it easier, you're good.  And, for what it's worth, I think the community is a more accommodating place for "using whoever I want because I want to" than it was ten years ago.

You're not being judged for how you play Fire Emblem. 

You're being judged for playing Fire Emblem. It's over for you. Just by being here, everyone on this site has lost half of my respect, including me. 

It's too late to back out now. You made a post worrying about others mocking you for using the based old man. You might as well embrace the weirdness and just do whatever you want with this damned franchise. We're all in the bottom of the pit. Unlucky.

24 minutes ago, 9000gigabitePC said:

I have been playing fire emblem since 2015 and don’t get me wrong, I love it. But I have such anxiety about being judged about my play style and being called a “Filthy Casual”.

You shouldn't worry so much about how other people judge you for the things that you love. The kind of people who call others a "filthy casual" as anything but a joke are far too embarrassing people for you to worry about them. I just hope you don't let that fear of these people scare you away from playing the games you love, in the ways you like, while sharing that joy by talking about it.

23 minutes ago, 9000gigabitePC said:

I’ve seen videos on YouTube that show playthroughs of games were it is modded to have 0 growths and sometimes I feel bad about not doing that.

I love watching those kind of runs, but you really shouldn't feel bad about not playing one. Very, very few people take on those kind off challenges due to the difficulty, and those that do those kind of runs love the game too much to be judging other for playing differently.

1 hour ago, 9000gigabitePC said:

Another example in engage where I give the Sigurd ring to vander in Anna’s paralouge. They say you shouldn’t invest in vander at all, but I really just want to stop the thieves from taking off with the master seal.

Training up questionably useful units for funsies (in the event you mean you invest in Vander whole game through), would put you in very good company on this board. Heck I think anyone that doesn't have an oddball suboptimal character or two (or more...) they train up for personal reasons, play these games in a very boring way, and intentionally using subobtimal characters to add to the challenge is an equally valid interpretation of those actions anyway. If you more meant it as using your Jagen archetype to ease your way through the difficult early game, that is simply playing well, and not falling for some of the oldest Fire Emblem pitfalls around (Mekkah even made a bit of a name for himself in the youtube space trying to combat those kind of pitfalls back in the day).

On 10/13/2024 at 3:20 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

You shouldn't worry so much about how other people judge you for the things that you love. The kind of people who call others a "filthy casual" as anything but a joke are far too embarrassing people for you to worry about them. I just hope you don't let that fear of these people scare you away from playing the games you love, in the ways you like, while sharing that joy by talking about it.

I love watching those kind of runs, but you really shouldn't feel bad about not playing one. Very, very few people take on those kind off challenges due to the difficulty, and those that do those kind of runs love the game too much to be judging other for playing differently.

Training up questionably useful units for funsies (in the event you mean you invest in Vander whole game through), would put you in very good company on this board. Heck I think anyone that doesn't have an oddball suboptimal character or two (or more...) they train up for personal reasons, play these games in a very boring way, and intentionally using subobtimal characters to add to the challenge is an equally valid interpretation of those actions anyway. If you more meant it as using your Jagen archetype to ease your way through the difficult early game, that is simply playing well, and not falling for some of the oldest Fire Emblem pitfalls around (Mekkah even made a bit of a name for himself in the youtube space trying to combat those kind of pitfalls back in the day).

On 10/13/2024 at 8:37 AM, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

Don´t worry, 8 hours ago noone knew how you play Fire Emblem.

Still:

image.jpeg.96e260c3e228c0a9af0347f00fb27a54.jpeg

I don’t intend to have vander long term. I’m just using his stats until I get more master seals. Also his internal level is good for Anna to spam heal staffs on.

35 minutes ago, 9000gigabitePC said:

I don’t intend to have vander long term. I’m just using his stats until I get more master seals. Also his internal level is good for Anna to spam heal staffs on.

Whatever you wanna do, my [nondescript person]. To be frank, I don´t care even the slightest bit what you do in your game. You go champ, catch ´em all, or sum.

All I can say is, just like playing FE you gotta pick your battles. If you like playing in easy, using suboptimal units or overgrinding then play how you want but it wouldn’t be wise to trying and argue on a LTC or Maddening tier list. Just play how you want and try to ignore other who don’t like it.

2 hours ago, 9000gigabitePC said:

That's pretty objective good play, as far as such things can be objective. Vander can achieve something with Sigurd no other units can at that point due to his stats and unit type. It's absolutely worth doing it to get those treasures and making the chapter easier. He isn't even facing much heavy competition for unit slots at that point in the game, so the only real long term loss is the very minor amount of Emblem experience (can't remember the exact term, what most of your bond fragments are spent on to get skills) another character could otherwise gain having Sigurd for the chapter.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, 9000gigabitePC said:

I wound up using Vander for the whole game (well, the 90% of Engage that I forced myself through), and found that he was always contributing. Use him if you wanna, drop him if you feel like it.

On 10/12/2024 at 11:35 PM, 9000gigabitePC said:

I’ve seen videos on YouTube that show playthroughs of games were it is modded to have 0 growths and sometimes I feel bad about not doing that.

That's a very silly feeling to have. The "0% growths" stuff is an "above-and-beyond" challenge that some seasoned players (who have too much time on their hands, but don't we all?) put themselves through. It was never an intended gameplay experience from the developers.

If you ever wanna try it out, be my guest. But most "real" and "hardcore" fans have never even done such a run. I sure haven't, and I've been playing FE for half my lifetime.

For example when I play three houses on maddening, I get to chapter 5 and I do the quest battles before the mission and I get level 1 units to level 5. But I’m also reminded of awakening lunatic where in skirmishes defeating any unit you only get a single point of exp so I feel like this shouldn’t be possible.

Different games do stuff differently. Awakening Lunatic mode is among the hardest hard modes the series has presented. Maddening in Three Houses is still a challenge, albeit - in my opinion - a much more fair and manageable one.

I wouldn't feel bad about grinding in general. In 3H Maddening, it's a limited resource, as you can only do however many battles on a given weekend. So while it can help prepare for the next major battle, it can't be done ad infinitum to trivialize the remainder if the game.

I have been playing fire emblem since 2015 and don’t get me wrong, I love it. But I have such anxiety about being judged about my play style and being called a “Filthy Casual”. I’ve seen videos on YouTube that show playthroughs of games were it is modded to have 0 growths and sometimes I feel bad about not doing that. For example when I play three houses on maddening, I get to chapter 5 and I do the quest battles before the mission and I get level 1 units to level 5. But I’m also reminded of awakening lunatic where in skirmishes defeating any unit you only get a single point of exp so I feel like this shouldn’t be possible. Another example in engage where I give the Sigurd ring to vander in Anna’s paralouge. They say you shouldn’t invest in vander at all, but I really just want to stop the thieves from taking off with the master seal. And in chapter 7 of engage I have Anna recruited and has micaiah equipped to constantly use up staffs. Also exploring the ring chamber so I get a lot of a and s rank rings.

You aint gotta worry about that, not here at least. Long time ago there mighta been some of them LTC "why you turtling bro" people but they aint around no more

I personally play games to enjoy the atmosphere and the stories, not to impress random yayhoos on the interwebz. Enjoy yourself the way you see fit and to hell with the noise 😎

On 10/13/2024 at 3:20 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

The Dark Souls "git gud" fan boys spring to mind. Never seen a bunch that's gotta compensate for whatever, hell... maybe undersized genitalia LOL... the way they do

Life is too short to worry about what other people think.  Play the game and enjoy it.

But if you happen to get a copy of Path or Radiance or Radiant Dawn they are absolutely great and Fire Emblem Awakening was the best of the new ones in my opinion.  But I'm old now so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Sentacotus