Subtitles or Dubbed?

Raven

38 members have voted

1. 1. Topic Title: Which do you prefer?

• Subtitle
    • Dub

We all have a preference, even if it's a slight one.

Subtitle: Original voice/language used, with text on-screen telling what is being said.

Dub: Original voices are replaced with a different language, so there is no need for on-screen text.

I know I prefer watching an anime with the original Japanese voices, and reading what is being said - so I voted for subtitles.

Although, I will watch a program that's been dubbed if I must. I'm not overly fussy to the point where I refuse to watch something just because I can't find a sub of it. I'm currently enjoying "Ah! My Goddess", and that is dubbed.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dubbed. I absolutely HATE reading, so I read as less as possible. Plus, I can focus more on the anime since I don't have to worry about reading the subs

Darn it Raven! >.< There should be a "I don't mind, either's good" option..

There's got to be one you prefer more than the other, even if it is just slightly.

I haven't watched Anime as of late. When I do watch Anime, I prefer the subtitles since most English dubs aren't good (4kids is a perfect example of bad dubbing)

Edited by Dark Legend Vampire

Typically I prefer subs, since almost all American voice actors are terrible, but the past few weeks I've been preferring dubs because they don't require full attention, and I like to watch anime while I do schoolwork.

There's got to be one you prefer more than the other, even if it is just slightly.

That's just it.. I can't pick one over the other. >.< I like them both equally...

Sorry..

Edited by emeraldfox_09

The risk of getting bad subs is equal to getting bad dubs (although all fan-dubs are terrible without exception), so I can't use that as a factor.

Basically I've been practicing my Japanese listening skills by watching animes with just subs, and for most animes I start watching now I prefer to have them subbed. But for the one's where I've gotten used to the dubs, even if they're incredibly annoying, I ussually stick with them (I started Bleach on dubs, and I've gotten used to the English voices so it's unlikely I'll switch even as the series goes on).

I prefer subs since it helps me with my Japanese speaking skills (no I didn't learn Japanese from anime, it fuels the process though) and because I prefer things in the most original form possible. I'm a fast reader, too, so subtitle's don't make much of a difference to me. Also, alot of the humour conveyed in anime is done through the voice acting but is often lost in translation, therefore making subs better.

unlike most people here I am not a japanophile and don't watch much in the way of anime and so everything I do watch is dubbed, and even if its something like crouching tiger hidden dragon, I will only watch subtitles if that is the version I get

I generally prefer subs, since the anime I watch generally isn't dubbed in reasonable time, if ever. Occasionally will watch something in Japanese without the sub, so I do just wait for the dub. :/

It depends on the anime. In general, I probably prefer dubs because I'm actually able to understand what people are saying without having to read it. If it was, like, Naruto or One Piece or something, then I'd watch the subtitles, in all likeliness.

Edited by Harold

If it's dubbed, I'll almost always watch it dubbed. I'll go with subs if a dub is a pain to track down, or isn't complete and I really want to be current/see the whole show. Dubs can have bad voice acting, but in my personal experience that happens a lot less than silly mistakes or generally low quality subs.

This isn't a make-or-break point for me, though.

Edited by YokaiKnight

Subs. Ever since the potato chip thing with Deathnote, I've been scarred off dubs. The only thing that I can watch dubbed, is Trigun.

And maybe Slayers in a pinch.

But I prefer subs now.