Why is US boxart always so shitty?

Agro

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That applies to people like us who play it safe. Not really for everyone else in the world. >_>

It still depends. Due the economic crisis that is affecting many countries people are going to be very cautious on the way the they spend their money. So it wouldn't be surpising people want to find out some information about the game. They would obviously want to spend their money wisely.

Can you be more specific about everyone else in the world.

Example, particular Eastern countries, like Pakistan. Your right in that sense they would judge the game by the cover of its boxart since they might not have the technology available to find out whether the game is good or not.

So your theory may only apply to certain countries but not all.

I'm talking about people in general but... I really don't think everyone looks a lot into things either... because sometimes I'm guilty of "hey, this game seems cool I want to get it/try it out/etc" (I don't buy it but oh well) because of the cover art. But that's just me, anyway.

I'm talking about people in general but... I really don't think everyone looks a lot into things either... because sometimes I'm guilty of "hey, this game seems cool I want to get it/try it out/etc" (I don't buy it but oh well) because of the cover art. But that's just me, anyway.

True...yeah I do see where your coming from. I don't think people would also do hours of research to play a game or not lol

People who might be in a rush might buy the game soley based on the boxard. I was like that. Then again if you hate the game, you could just easily return it =/

You're confusing "artistic quality" with your own personal tastes. Oh, and if by "cleaner" you mean "rushed," then yeah, you're absolutely right.

I'm not sure; clutter would scream more rushed to me while minimalistic screams professional but that is my artistic quality :P That said I find it odd how Final Fantasy switches roles past FFVI. What I mean is the Japanese boxes for the old FFs had arwork while the US ones were just logos and something like a sword and axe but post FFVII the Japanese boxes are just logos (here in Europe FFVII was our first FF) while the US ones are not art in the same vein as the FFI-VI (hand drawn), just CGI dudez.

But it isn't an exact science and there isn't a black and white. There are reasons to every action or something like that. Take Zelda: the Wind Waker. Notice how the US and PAL boxes are big on the logo and subtle on everything else. That was because of the negative backlash about the cell-shading which would have had happened with less impact if Nintendo knew how to enforce embargos (IGN on the other hand didn't) Then looking at the back we see the games artwork as a big part of the Japanese box but not the US or PAL ones...which reminds me, they're missing the limited edition which the back cover puts just as much emphasis into the Ocarina of time disc which was boxed with the package for us, maybe I should attempt to use the scanner at some stage :P

But then there is the limited edition HMV slipcover (it is the artwork piece of Link and Zelda fighting Ganon I didn't know it existed at the time else I would bought it due to being limited edition) which just throws the kitchen sink away :(

This is a weird thread. I don't see the deal.

The grass is greener on the other side. "Those Europeans gets everything first and with better cover art to boot." You-know that kind of nonesense.

But there are some serious cases that are constantly mocked on the internet like Mega Man and Mystery Dungeon: Shirin the Wanderer. I'm hoping Okami Wii is added to the pack (how do you miss the IGN watermark :( )