How did the Black Knight and Greil end up fighting?

That's something that I've always wondered ever since I first saw their confrontation. And after I read the whole "What if Greil Never Died" topic...I just realized, I'm still not too clear on that!

I would post it as a thread, but for some reason, the site is saying that as a part of flood control, it's not allowing me to post a new thread, and despite the fact that I waited way more than 10 seconds to try again, it's still not letting me! So, I'm turning to the guy who I always seem to turn to lately, you.

Basically though, just about the only indication in the entire game that this would happen was when the BK and Greil stared at each other after Petrines army got owned by the Laguz...and that's it. It was almost completely random to me. I would think that the BK ambushed Greil, but after the way Greil sent Ike back to the base and refusing to give Ike a straight answer of why he's putting so much responsibility on him, combined with the fact that he was already heading out of the castle to do something gives me the impression that he purposely sought out the Black Knight.

So, what was the point of Greil challenging the Black Knight? Why exactly did the Black Knight want to fight Greil in the first place? My best guess was that the Black Knight wanted to fight a worthy opponent, but why did Greil want to fight the Black Knight?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not entirely sure but this is what I think.

Spoilers!

Well in Daein, Greil was one of the four riders. He used to teach Zelgius how to fight. Zelgius wanted to prove that he has gotten stronger. So he wanted to challenge Greil to prove he surpassed his teacher. In FE9 Zelgius is disguised as the Black Knight.Thats pretty much it.

Edited by Luxord

Well in Daein, Greil was one of the four riders. He used to teach Zelgius how to fight. Zelgius wanted to prove that he has gotten stronger. So he wanted to challenge Greil to prove he surpassed his teacher. In FE9 Zelgius is disguised as the Black Knight.Thats pretty much it.

Yeah, that's true.

Zelgius says, before he fights Ike in the Tower of Guidance, that surpassing his old teacher was his ultimate goal. So the only way to find out was to... yeah, fight Greil.

The Black Knight wanted to fight Greil

so he could take Lehran's medalion and to find out if he's surpassed his master.

. I have no idea why Greil wanted to fight the Black Knight.

The Black Knight wanted to fight Greil

so he could take Lehran's medalion and to find out if he's surpassed his master.

I forgot about that... :blink:

But Zelgius never wanted to actually kill Greil, did he?

I forgot about that... :blink:

But Zelgius never wanted to actually kill Greil, did he?

I don't think he wanted to kill Greil he just knew that

the only way to find out if he had surpassed his master was a fight. And that meant one of them had to die.

I don't think he wanted to kill Greil he just knew that

the only way to find out if he had surpassed his master was a fight. And that meant one of them had to die.

I can see your point, but

defeating someone doesn't have to mean killing that person.

I have never seen so many spoiler tags O_o

A better question would be, how the hell did they meet? I mean, they didn't even speak on the castle, the BK just stared at him.

You know that's really odd once you think about it. Maybe they sent message pigeons

I can see your point, but

defeating someone doesn't have to mean killing that person.

I think he had to kill him because Sephiran ordered him to so he could give the medalion to Ashnard.

this.

and i would also have to add the whole "honourable death" thing. i don't think Greil would have like to live defeated and know that he can't regain his honor back hey, honor was a HUGE thing back in the middle ages and the black knight knew this too.

I think he had to kill him because Sephiran ordered him to so he could give the medalion to Ashnard.

In RD, Sephiran says that he didn't order BK to kill Greil. He did order BK to retrieve the medallion and give it to Ashnard. It was BK's decision to kill Greil.

I think he killed Greil by accident cause he says in RD (as Zelgius) that if he could avoid taking a life then that's the path he'll take (or something like that which explains why he didn't kill Skrimir). Maybe he didn't have a choice here or maybe BK is Zelgius' evil alter ego.

As other people in this topic have said, I think the BK may have done Greil a favor to spare him the agony of knowing he was bested by an enemy.

I have never seen so many spoiler tags O_o

You know that's really odd once you think about it. Maybe they sent message pigeons

You never saw the Naruto topic that one time...

I think he killed Greil by accident cause he says in RD (as Zelgius) that if he could avoid taking a life then that's the path he'll take (or something like that which explains why he didn't kill Skrimir). Maybe he didn't have a choice here or maybe BK is Zelgius' evil alter ego.

I think you're right, but the BK was fighting as hard as he could and when

he thrust his sword through Greil he was expecting Greil to block the strike, but Greil failed (LOL rhyme!) because of his bad arm.

This is why the BK says "Is that all there is?...." after that moment.

As for the intentions of Greil, I think yes he wanted to protect Ike, the company and the medallion, but he also wanted to kill the most dangerous Rider of Daein, to criple a fourth of Daein's armies so to speak.

Edited by Yourgranny

In RD, Sephiran says that he didn't order BK to kill Greil. He did order BK to retrieve the medallion and give it to Ashnard. It was BK's decision to kill Greil.

That still doesn't explain why he says stuff like "I'll snuff your life out right now" or "Greils daughter is here? Now I get to yank out the whole family tree by the roots!!"...

That still doesn't explain why he says stuff like "I'll snuff your life out right now" or "Greils daughter is here? Now I get to yank out the whole family tree by the roots!!"...

Furthermore, the Black Knight KNEW that Mist had the medallion. If all he wanted was to take it from her, why didn't he?

Furthermore, the Black Knight KNEW that Mist had the medallion. If all he wanted was to take it from her, why didn't he?

Because he knew Greil would defend her and the madalion with his life so he just killed him there.

Maybe those were just threats, to make Greil hand over the medallion without Zelgius / BK having to kill anyone.

Weel the Black Knight didn't actually surpass Greil, Greil used a sword he would've won, I mean, did yo usee how slow the Black Knight is? Not in in-game tough, just in the cutscenes.