How bad of an idea was tripping?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How bad of an idea is tripping

• Bad
    • Really bad
    • One of the worst ideas ever
    • The worst idea ever
    • I'm a loser and don't think its a bad addition

I find it amusing. Especially during tight matches where I got 30% and my opponent has 90%. He would have Ike or some other heavy hitting character, he uses smash attack, I try dodging it only to fall right beneath the stupid attack, resulting in a lost because the attack can kill so easy at that point.

That's why they left in rolling. -_-

Edited by uıʌǝɹʞ

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what's so bad about tripping. I mean, it can save you. Put, 'It's not that bad' as an option. Please?

this message good, tripping sucks when you lose because of it, but its also good when it saves you from smashes so its a win-lose kind of thing

Tripping is simply another mechanic put in the game to give inexperienced players a better chance of beating better players. Kinda like the final smash. It's just a way of replacing skill with luck.

But it drives me insane in Boss Battles Mode. I was fighting Tabuu on Very Hard, and I tripped, giving him the chance to kill me. I haven't gotten his health that low since then. I hate, hate, HATE tripping.

Tripping is simply another mechanic put in the game to give inexperienced players a better chance of beating better players. Kinda like the final smash. It's just a way of replacing skill with luck.

But it drives me insane in Boss Battles Mode. I was fighting Tabuu on Very Hard, and I tripped, giving him the chance to kill me. I haven't gotten his health that low since then. I hate, hate, HATE tripping.

EXACTLY WHICH MAKES IT STUPID, IT SHOULD BE SKILL

Yeah because the game knows when you are a noob and make your opponent trip so you can beat him. :rolleyes:

My point being that they don't have a better chance of beating better players beacuse both players have the same chance of tripping so, with your kind of logic we can say that tripping is another mechanic put in the game to make better players kill even more humiliating the inexperienced players.

Also if an inexperienced player goes against an experienced one how is he [inexperienced] suppose to win the smash ball over his opponent?

Handicap is what gives inexperienced players a better chance of beating better players not tripping nor Final Smashes.

Luck is also a skill

-Might Guy :P

Who voted One of the worst ideas ever? Cause I will kill you!

Electing Bush was a better Idea than putting tripping in brawl

DESITNY HERO JOINING WAS A BETTER IDEA!

I wouldn't go THAT far... mainly because tripping has helped me a few times

I don't get the poll options; they're ranging from bad to worse which is redundant.

That's kinda the whole point....

I don't really care about the addition of tripping.

Seriously???

I never trip into kills or out of other peoples kills, I just trip when nothing's happening or right before I'm about to edgeguard, which can cost me easy kills.

Luck is also a skill

-Might Guy :P

This is pretty much a corruption of one of Machiavelli's principles in The Prince: being able to capitalize one's luck is a skill; luck itself isn't much of a skill, although it's one of the two factors that determine success. Regardless, this doesn't justify the addition of tripping, as a video game is a controlled environment where luck doesn't have to exist (unlike real life, which is what The Prince considers), thus adding any luck is a detriment to the metagame.

That's why they left in rolling. -_-

Yeah. I roll. Unfortunately, I end up tripping because I push down the analog stick before pressing the shield so I can make sure I roll. I don't know if it's my controller, but sometimes, my character don't roll when I press my shield first. The shield usually get pushed to the direction I'm trying to roll.....

Yeah. I roll. Unfortunately, I end up tripping because I push down the analog stick before pressing the shield so I can make sure I roll. I don't know if it's my controller, but sometimes, my character don't roll when I press my shield first. The shield usually get pushed to the direction I'm trying to roll.....

There's three possible reasons that could be happening:

1) your controller sucks

2) you're not pushing the control stick far enough to the side

or 3) you're pushing the control stick too slowly. Think of rolling as a Smash Attack and Sheild-tilting as a Tilt attack, except instead of A you're using L/R and instead of attacking you're guarding.

I'm actually fine with tripping. Weirdly enough, it's helped me more than hurt.( I.E. I trip and it's invincibility frames stop me from getting owned by and inevitable attack such as Norfair's Lava)

Also if an inexperienced player goes against an experienced one how is he [inexperienced] suppose to win the smash ball over his opponent?

Items, like your smash ball, were created along with tripping to shorten the pro/noob gap. It wasn't about completely flipping the spectrum of skill by making pros terrible and noobs champs. Smash balls unleash 1-hit ko's in some cases, which is bullshit, and tripping can leave you wide open, also bullshit.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your argument that tripping doesn't affect players' ability to do well is wrong because it does. I'll give you the fact that it doesn't dramatically change it enough to help a noob beat a pro, but it can cause a pro to lose a stock to slightly less pro pro in a very stupid, uncool, and unfun way. Also, smash balls were a bad example because anyone who plays competitively turns them mutha fuckers off anyway and they can make a pro lose to a noob.

While I generally think that shifts it to a more party like game, I do not like tripping because it takes control away from your character.

There's a reason why in card games 'control' decks and and stunlocking in WoW were hated by the victims, and that is they lost control of their deck/character. This persists even if the control type of play is not strong in the environment because it's less fun to play.

I would have left it as a property (penalty) for going on ice or slippery surfaces but not on normal ground.

Also, they should have balanced the characters better, but that's for another topic.