The best Zelda timeline

General Spoon

I’d also appreciate it if nobody posted any comments along the lines of, “I don’t care about the timeline”, or “there is no timeline”. To be blunt, we don’t care that you don’t care about it, and telling people who are interested in the timeline that you aren’t interested in the timeline just wastes your time and our topic space. So please don’t do it.
I'm going to subscribe to this guy's theory based on this request alone.
The split timeline is one of the things people seem to understand the least about the timeline. It used to be a theory supported by a lot of evidence, and with TP, it became the only possibility. Then, shortly after its release, Eiji Aonuma, director of TP and current producer of the Zelda series, confirmed that TWW and TP do in fact take place in parallel worlds to each other. But what people don’t know is where these parallel worlds came from. First, let me show you a couple of creator comments from interviews. This first one, from 2002, involves Aonuma, as well as Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto, before TWW’s release:
Awesome. I always felt that TP was in a different timeline than WW since it in no way connected OoT and WW. I'm glad this is well supported.

I'm sure I read this in Zelda Universe (or another board) before?

Interesting reading, though I don't think it beats Hylian Dan's Stone Tower of Babel (about the stone tower in MM).

I think it was summarised in http://www.zeldauniverse.net/articles/the-...f-majoras-mask/ but I'm not sure this version mentions the phallic pillars in the original thread.

I spent several weeks researching the timeline about a half a year ago. The final timeline I made was split like his, and does have some major flaws. There are 1-2 Ganon's in mine, 10 Links and 9 Zeldas. If you ask me, it's impossible to make a timeline with what we know so far. We're missing some huge events that will turn every timeline made so far upside down. Here's my final timeline...

_____________tWW-PH-LttP-LA-LoZ-AoL

MC-FS-FSA-OoT

_____________MM-TP-(oracle games in either order)

Edited by Ragnell

IIRC, the only major flaw Impossible says is in his timeline is that Ganon becomes the king of evil twice. But, I'm willing to let it slide, seeing how well the rest of it works together and because crap can happen during translation (yes Ganon Mandrag I'm looking at you)

do i dare claim that i inspired you to create this thread?

:P

i haven't gone through the whole article yet, but until now it seems REALLY well thought-out and provides relevant evidence to support his theory. I kinda believed that somehow the timeline should fit like he said, but since I've only played ALttP, OoT, WW, and TP, i really couldn't support it much.

well, i'm gonna finish reading it in a bit. maybe i'll post my thoughts about it once i'm done.

ive been playing Zelda for over 20 years and alot of this (split timeline) never truly occurred to me...i feel a bit stupid now but i think Impossible II has been playing these games as long as i have certainly...this is an amazing find for me since ive been trying to sort the Zeldas out for many a moon

i am rushed for time, so this'll be short (someone is celebrating), and riddled with errors likely.

the split time line theory really doesn't help place any of game before Ocarina. Twilight Princess is the latest game in the nonFlood era.

I do not know where any of the gameboy ones (oracles and awakening) go, but they all go together, and i assume with Majora. Since in Majora, link rides off on epona, and at the start of Oracle of Ages, link is riding Epona. And when you beat both oracle games (using the same data or whatever), link leaves the land on a raft that he crashes at the start Awakening.

it is hard to say which alternate line these games belong to:

a) the one where the Flood does happen, and Link never came back home to leave his lineage

B) or the flood doesn't happen because of Ocarina's link's extensive travel somehow empower the trif-force of courage, and Link's lineage does not actually matter: "Link" is just a title or something that Hyrulian history has given to the one who has Trif-force of courage.

then there's always the possibility that Link, Zelda, and Ganon(drof) are beings who are constantly reborn...but that begs the question of whether they are purposefully born to battle eternally...which leads to the possibility that Ganon serves a purpose to destroy hyrule, as if he were some form of divine justice....trust me, i've spent lots of time thinking about this. probably more time than i ever did with school...or still do.

And i remember at some point reading that Link to the Past was supposed to be the earliest dated game in the timeline thus far.

the problem i have with trying to put the NES games on a time line is that the games do not (and could not) contain as much detail as those that follow. To be honest, i would love a 3d remake of Zelda one and two. That way, those games could achieve amazingness and expand their story (and the series) beyond what little they contain. It would help put the games in a time line.

i am rushed for time, so this'll be short (someone is celebrating), and riddled with errors likely.

the split time line theory really doesn't help place any of game before Ocarina. Twilight Princess is the latest game in the nonFlood era.

I do not know where any of the gameboy ones (oracles and awakening) go, but they all go together, and i assume with Majora. Since in Majora, link rides off on epona, and at the start of Oracle of Ages, link is riding Epona. And when you beat both oracle games (using the same data or whatever), link leaves the land on a raft that he crashes at the start Awakening.

it is hard to say which alternate line these games belong to:

a) the one where the Flood does happen, and Link never came back home to leave his lineage

B) or the flood doesn't happen because of Ocarina's link's extensive travel somehow empower the trif-force of courage, and Link's lineage does not actually matter: "Link" is just a title or something that Hyrulian history has given to the one who has Trif-force of courage.

then there's always the possibility that Link, Zelda, and Ganon(drof) are beings who are constantly reborn...but that begs the question of whether they are purposefully born to battle eternally...which leads to the possibility that Ganon serves a purpose to destroy hyrule, as if he were some form of divine justice....trust me, i've spent lots of time thinking about this. probably more time than i ever did with school...or still do.

And i remember at some point reading that Link to the Past was supposed to be the earliest dated game in the timeline thus far.

the problem i have with trying to put the NES games on a time line is that the games do not (and could not) contain as much detail as those that follow. To be honest, i would love a 3d remake of Zelda one and two. That way, those games could achieve amazingness and expand their story (and the series) beyond what little they contain. It would help put the games in a time line.

if ever nintendo let me, I have a reason, for I do have a game that right now I put a zelda title on it but if nintendo wouldn't let me (which let's face it they won't) it can easily be converted into it's own series

Minish Cap is Said by Myamamoto that is the first Zelda of the Time Line :\

The 4 Swords came before the Master Sword and the Master Sword is never used Again After AlttP

The Ganon introduced in Four Swords Adventures is different from the Ganondorf introduced in OoT.

There are too many unknowns to make a real timeline. There is not enough evidence to place LttP, FS, FSA, or the original games.

By the way, I don't think LA and the Oracle duo are connected at all. Assuming LA is on the adult timeline (flood side) following LttP like it was intended to, the oracle games cannot follow it. Twinrova was killed in OoT in the adult timeline, and appears in both Oracles. So neither can be on the adult side. The boats seem similar, but probably aren't the same. Also, it says (I think in the instruction manual) of LA that Link left Hyrule in the boat because he was having dreams of Ganon.

All this talk about the timeline and still no mention of the Triforce of Time?

this is an interesting theory but im not gonna support it...its suggesting that the Link in most games is actually the same Link and thats not the case..even the creators of the series stated that every Link in every game (aside from the direct sequels and the Oracle games) are in fact different (reborn...) the first part explaining the sleeping Zelda however is intriguing..

Not quite...it was stated during this games release that it was supposed to take place about 100 years before the first Zelda game for the NES..after OoT was released, they stated that OoT was to be the earliest game in the timeline..of course this has changed over the years...its all alot like the Bible..open to interpretation. :)

There are too many unknowns to make a real timeline. There is not enough evidence to place LttP, FS, FSA, or the original games.

By the way, I don't think LA and the Oracle duo are connected at all. Assuming LA is on the adult timeline (flood side) following LttP like it was intended to, the oracle games cannot follow it. Twinrova was killed in OoT in the adult timeline, and appears in both Oracles. So neither can be on the adult side. The boats seem similar, but probably aren't the same. Also, it says (I think in the instruction manual) of LA that Link left Hyrule in the boat because he was having dreams of Ganon.

First, did you even read the word document? Read it before you try and say there's not enough evidence please, there's a lot of evidence to get a general placement for those games.

LA is not a sequal to the Oracles, its a sequal to LttP like it was intended to be.

LA is not on the adult timeline, as it is a sequal to LttP, which is on the child timeline (again, read the word document).

Twinrova is definitly alive on the child timeline, seeing as OoT Link killed them as an adult.

Since I have a feeling that people are skipping over the link I posted, here's a more direct link to the word download. http://www.zshare.net/download/108800797c022abf/

I apoligize if you get the same ads I just got.

Edited by Delmud

First, did you even read the word document? Read it before you try and say there's not enough evidence please, there's a lot of evidence to get a general placement for those games.

LA is not a sequal to the Oracles, its a sequal to LttP like it was intended to be.

LA is not on the adult timeline, as it is a sequal to LttP, which is on the child timeline (again, read the word document).

Twinrova is definitly alive on the child timeline, seeing as OoT Link killed them as an adult.

Since I have a feeling that people are skipping over the link I posted, here's a more direct link to the word download. http://www.zshare.net/download/108800797c022abf/

I apoligize if you get the same ads I just got.

I didn't get to read the whole thing, but I have read a fair amount of it. What I meant about not being enough info. was that there are situations where there could be several games that fit a place, or none at all. Some game's places are set in stone, but others are very questionable. There is a fair amount of evidence for any game to not be where some assume it is.

Believe me, I've written a 27 page word document on my version of the timeline, but I can't find a place to post it. Some of the stuff I wrote is worthless crap, but I described what happens to every race and every place throughout the series. I also put wrote some problems with my timeline. The biggest issue is those darned FS games! :angry:

And I know that LA follows LttP and the Oracles are on the child side, but someone who posted earlier didn't seem to know it. I didn't know, however, that LttP is on the child side. Maybe I should read the rest of that document. Every other timeline I've seen has LttP on the adult side. Especially since LttP was originally planned to follow the adult ending to OoT.

I just checked, its 132 pages long.

Dang!

It turns out, I was just reading the FAQ you linked to, not the real document (*facepalm*). And I can't seem to download the Word document. I must wonder though, does he ever tell what his own timeline actually is? From what I've read on the FAQ, he seems to have run into the same difficulties I have. He showed the weaknesses of all forms of timelines.