Healing Units.

Liz

Counterattacking with staves is worthless. I don't know that I've ever countered for nonzero damage. Well, there was Elincia in 2-P iirc. But other than that

Anyway, I haven't had any problems leveling up staff users. On the contrary, they're more often gaining more exp than anyone else. The only exception to this is Laura. The DB's part 3 chapters give ridiculous amounts of combat exp, but Laura still gains staff exp.

Though part of this may also be because I don't play the easier modes, and combat exp is generally higher on those than on the harder ones. So, then, the change I would make is.... If combat exp differs according to difficultly setting, staff exp should too. Hard mode is fine, but increase staff exp for easier modes.

Another problem would be that underleveled healers don't gain exp any faster, while underleveled combat units do. And the same holds true for the reverse, resulting in some healers being on way higher levels than others, like Serra and Ellen.

Edited by Reikken

On my current HHM playthrough, where you're forced to basically distribute EXP among your combat units, healers are leveling up at the same rate as combat units. If you're not doing something like ranked HHM, though, I definitely understand where the "healers level up too slowly" complaint comes from.

I personally would prefer earlier access to EXP-rich staves and a slightly higher EXP value for non-healing staves.

Counterattacking with staves is worthless. I don't know that I've ever countered for nonzero damage. Well, there was Elincia in 2-P iirc. But other than that

I completely agree. Staff counterattacking is a dumb concept.

Anyway, I haven't had any problems leveling up staff users. On the contrary, they're more often gaining more exp than anyone else. The only exception to this is Laura. The DB's part 3 chapters give ridiculous amounts of combat exp, but Laura still gains staff exp.

Part of the problem is that Laura starts off at level 1, and part of the problem is that only Heal and Mend are available...

Another problem would be that underleveled healers don't gain exp any faster, while underleveled combat units do. And the same holds true for the reverse, resulting in some healers being on way higher levels than others, like Serra and Ellen.

Underleveled combat units, however, require a lot more handholding to level up than underleveled staff units. Staff units almost don't need to be exposed to enemy attacks while combat units do, and the favoritism argument applies much less to a staff unit than a combat unit.

Serra/Ellen being higher levels than Priscilla/Saul/Clarine isn't really a problem... unless one unit having a level lead is somehow a problem.

Edited by dondon151

I know of a great reason healing giving high EXP needs to stay: It makes having multiple healers viable. If you have such a problem with healers gaining EXP ahead of your units, then use two healers. They're still going to level up.

I think staff exp should vary by the user's level, also. (Doesn't the DS one do this?) As it is, staffers gain more exp later on, and less earlier on. With that change, though, the lower exp at higher levels will be offset by having higher level staves. Or, saying it another way, the lack of access to high level staves earlier on is offset by gaining more exp from what staves you do have.

I've never had a problem with staff users getting behind. They are usually the ones ahead of the rest of the party since I always waste time figuring out which of my combat units needs more EXP from killing so and so enemy...

Still, if they are to be given a buff, maybe they should all start out with the Shade skill (assuming the game has skills)...

Three flaws to using healers as fighters or whatever:

Staves have weight, making healers more susceptible to attacks.

Staves break faster (I think).

Now we have healers competing for the limited exp originally intended for actual fighters.

Unlimited exp pool is enough.

Three flaws to using healers as fighters or whatever:

Staves have weight, making healers more susceptible to attacks.

Staves break faster (I think).

Now we have healers competing for the limited exp originally intended for actual fighters.

Unlimited exp pool is enough.

In FE5, Staves break way too fast, only 20 charges of a heal Staff is not too much.

I think RD was the only FE game where staves were equipped weapons. All the other games allowed healers to counter with another weapon if they had one cause staves weren't equipped. It's a little annoying in RD but it's easy to get around that. Maybe they did that to make the game harder but the game's already hard without that.

FE5 had equipped staves as well. It was never shown that it was equipped but their Weight slows you down.

FE5 had equipped staves as well. It was never shown that it was equipped but their Weight slows you down.

You sure about this? I thought the WT was only there to make things harder to steal?

I can't believe people are thinking staff counterattacks need to be stronger as there will be less incentive to keep healers safe from enemies... kind of the intended disadvantage of using a healer.

Edited by dondon151

i liked that in RD they could actually counter attack (although they usually couldnt whomp shit up with their staff, unless they are Elincia)

but i see what youre getting at..healers require alot of handholding

Yeah same here. I find it rather fun to watch Arch Sages counter attacking with a staff.