Famitsu 2008 sales data in...

The data is here and I used the translation from here

39th best selling game in Japan. Not bad though the fact Mario Party 8 bearly sold more makes me feel bad. Then again the fact Mario Party 8 is still selling well is why we won't get Mario Party 9 for a while...Fire Emblem on the other hand has done a typical taper off (about 70% of its sales came from the first month).

So how does it compare to other Fire Emblem games? Well Blazing Sword, Sword of Seals, Geneology of the Holy war and Mystery of the Emblem are the only ones it hasn't outsold (Disclaimer: Numbers for the Famicom games are unknown, also unknown is virtual console sales, consider most of Shadow Dragon is on the VC already...)

You could say it is getting itself out of a hole but is the huge DS ownership the reason?

For anyone wanting Europe numbers, I'm sorry we don't get numbers. The closest we get is the ELPSA awards which can give us a rough figure of how a game has done...in the UK only and also the lowest teir is 100,000 so we won't be hearing from FE :(

Not bad : )

According to the TRS lawsuit (of all things, lol) the missing figures are:

(イ) ファイアーエムブレム・シリーズの販売本数をみると、暗黒竜と光の剣が32万9087本、外伝が32万4699本、紋章の謎が77万6338本、聖戦の系譜が49万8216本、トラキアが10万6108本、合計203万4448本という売れ行きを示している。ファイアーエムブレム・シリーズは、SRPG分野に属し、その需要者は、RPGのユーザーの10分の1である。こうした点に鑑みると、控訴人ゲームの販売本数は周知性又は著名性を獲得するのに十分な数の販売本数というべきである。

FE1: 329,087

FE2: 324,699

FE3: 776,338

Edited by VincentASM

FE1: 329,087

FE2: 324,699

FE3: 776,338

Oh wow. The first two sold a hell of a lot more than I had guessed. Also, lol @ FE3 selling over 776,000 copies.

maybe FE5 was a reference to this?

Probably given the amount of problems assuming that FE5 started in the year 776 caused (I got that right didn't I? I know there are timeline issues...though I don't know if its like the Radiant dawn 3 years after path of radiance when its 3 years after the start of path of radiance...)

In the ending of FE9, it states the date as spring of the year 646. The whole war lasted a year, so it was the year 645 when it started (which is confirmed by the Japanese official site).

Meanwhile in Chapter 4 of FE10, it states the date as early summer of 648.

Edited by VincentASM