The Official Character Review thread

CT075

I'm about finished with my 4th PT of PoR and I feel like reviewing each and every character and to watch the arguments unfold. So, without further ado...

Ike

Rating: 10/10

Ike was the god of battle. He pwned the BK and Ashnard very easily, and he could 1RKO most enemies (dragons). I don't think that I could not like him much more. BTW, he capped everything.

Titania

Rating: 8.5/10

Titania wasn't as good as in RD. She's no Jagen, but not as useful as some people say. She was very good at hit-and-run maneuvers, so I used her for that. She didn't cap anything, but she could kill and dodge pretty well. She struggled to hit and double swordsmen near the end, so I dropped her in the final chapter.

Rolf

Rating: 9/10

Good ol' Rofl (Yes, I did that on purpose). He could hit and kill things easily enough, but wasn't as resilient up front. He was nearly killed several times during the final map, especially when a Pally with a Brave Sword got past Ike to attack him. Thankfully, he had a decent dodge, so he survived a lot. He had strength issue, though. Even with the Double Bow he couldn't even kill a Falcon Knight until his strength capped (BEXP abuse)! That's how he lost that point. He reminds me of Gordin a lot. Besides his horrible defense. He was also very good in my first and 4th PT, so I happen to like him.

Boyd

Rating: 9.5/10

Boyd was a very good unit slayer. His attack capped at 20/5, and speed followed suit (20/8). I used a Speedwing and an Energy Drop, BTW. He capped HP at level 10 promoted without stat boosters, as well. He was useful until chapter 26, as all those promoted units gave him quite a beating. His Triangle Attack was the strongest, and his supports with both Oscar and Rolf took skyrocketed his , as well. He was just as good as most people would guess, besides the speed blessing. He lost half a point for being doubled by armours in the 6th chapter, if you're wondering.

Oscar

HE WAS AWESOME! He capped everything by level 11 promoted, and had a killer Triangle attack (Although not a powerful as Boyd's). He had a large-ish Magic stat, too, so he was a perfect fit for the Flame Lance. If I transfer this file, I'll get an awesome boost for him.

This post is getting long as is, so I'll review the rest of my team later today (If I'm not too lazy). Please comment on my ratings and such.

Edited by Camtech075

... Tanith sucks with Sonic Sword, but she's fine with a Lance. And support from like... Marcia/Reyson/Oscar. Pick two and go; she's got an Earth affinity.

Rolf sucks, lol

post #666

Edited by Nathan Graves

Okay, I'm back. Too bad no-one commented yet. Ah, well. Here's the rest of my team:

Volke

Rating: 7/10

Mostly useful for utility. He didn't cap anything, and he didn't do much damage either. However, Lethality activated quite a lot, so he could kill Generals fairly constantly. He lost points on his low attack strength, too.

Ena

Rating: 3/10

Ugh, crap. For a unit that is very annoying as a boss, she is a horrible waste as a playable character. She constantly got doubled, and took a lot of damage, too. Her saving grace was Boon. She was pretty good as a wall, too, but still a waste in any non-Feral One filled map. Not much else to say, except that Nasir is better. By far.

Gatrie

Rating: 7.5/10

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay... For the proclaimed 'great bodyguard' he is, he's not so great. At his best, he can match Amelia from FE8 as a General. At his worst, he is trash. By chapter 24 he couldn't kill much until he got the Brave Lance. When he did, his resistance screwed him. But, that's not to say that he sucks. He was a decent unit, I'll give him that. I had boosted his speed by using the Knight Ward, and that made a lot of difference. He also had high strength (He capped it quickly) so he could kill dragons with a Brave Lance pretty efficiently.

Tanith

Rating: 8.75/10

Meh, she's okay. At her best, she is about Jill (RD) material. At her worst, she is meh. With the Sonic Sword, she is decent, and her speed is okay, but I don't really like the playstyle she needs. Her reinforcements helped immensely, giving her the extra .75 points. She made a good Savior, as well. I used Haar over her in the final 5-6 chapters.

Haar

Not really as good as in RD, he still makes an excellent Savior. His magic was just good enough to use the Bolt Axe efficiently, and he was very good with Silver Axes. However, Bow users destroyed him. He was a meh unit until about chapter 26, then became awesome. He still had issues with sword users, he otherwise he was just great.

Stefan

I like SMs, but he died too easily for my taste. In a sea of Axe users, Stefan took 7/10 hits aimed at him, surviving at 2 HP. he lived to the end, but otherwise wasn't really like a traditional SM. That put me against him at first, but after seeing him kill 5 dragons and live with more than 95% of his HP left in RD, I couldn't leave him. Besides, he was cool enough to give me both his sword and an Occult to train Ike (...)!

Anyway, that's my team for my 3rd PT. I'll post the reviews of my 4th PT team sometime else. Maybe next weekend.

Plz. comment and debate so I can decide who to use in my 5th PT. PLEASE!!!!

Edited by Camtech075

Plz. comment and debate so I can decide who to use in my 5th PT. PLEASE!!!!

Well, it's your own biased opinion, so there isn't much to debate, but...

I find it funny you gave Rolf 9/10 even though your description suggests ~6.

Similar for Ena. Considering 5/10 is average and you gave 4.5, that would suggest slightly below average, but your description suggests more like a 1, which I feel is what she really deserves.

For Gatrie, Knight Ward boosts Speed, not Strength, as well as +2 to defense and resistance. And the way you described him is weird. You said first that he's trash, then said he doesn't suck. So, which is it?

Haar must have gotten pretty speed blessed to deserve such a high rating, and also considering how much better Jill is.

Well, that's my two cents.

Rolf

Good ol' Rofl (Yes, I did that on purpose). He could hit and kill things easily enough, but wasn't as resilient up front. He was nearly killed several times during the final map, especially when a Pally with a Brave Sword got past Ike to attack him. Thankfully, he had a decent dodge, so he survived a lot. He had strength issue, though. Even with the Double Bow he couldn't even kill a Falcon Knight until his strength capped (BEXP abuse)! That's how he lost that point. He reminds me of Gordin a lot. Besides his horrible defense.

The Double Bow is one of the worst bows in FE9. It only has 7 MT so it actually does less damage than Rolf's Bow.

Well, it's your own biased opinion, so there isn't much to debate, but...

I find it funny you gave Rolf 9/10 even though your description suggests ~6.

Similar for Ena. Considering 5/10 is average and you gave 4.5, that would suggest slightly below average, but your description suggests more like a 1, which I feel is what she really deserves.

For Gatrie, Knight Ward boosts Speed, not Strength, as well as +2 to defense and resistance. And the way you described him is weird. You said first that he's trash, then said he doesn't suck. So, which is it?

Haar must have gotten pretty speed blessed to deserve such a high rating, and also considering how much better Jill is.

Well, that's my two cents.

Oops. I'm kind of new at this, so try to ignore it. I really think that Gatrie is good,and yes, Haar was speed blessed. And Ena was useful in the Feral One chapter, as well as my personal opinion that no-one deserves a 1. Rolf was... weird to try to describe. He was sort of a contradiction for me. At the end, he was ~ not so great. But, in some of the smaller maps, he was invaluable. I liked him, too, so I couldn't bear to give him a lower grade than 8, but I didn't think he was bad enough to get a 8 or 8.5. Besides, he was great in my first and fourth PT all the way through, so I think that warranted a couple more points for him. BTW, I said that at his worst, Gatrie was trash, which means he isn't RNG proof. I'll change my mistakes.

Edited by Camtech075

Well, I'm getting off my lazy butt to review the characters from my first PT.

Shinon

Rating: 8.5/10

For all the Shinon sucks he gets, you'd think that he wouldn't be a good unit. He does disappear for a while, but he has killer growths, and he's in a good class (Snipers rock!). He's also nice enough to give you a Brave Bow, and with his speed &strength growth, (65%) he has a pretty good chance to do quadruple attack with more than ten damage each hit. If he can quadruple attack and do 15 damage each hit, he can kill any generic beorc character. I don't like how he requires a level or two in BEXP, but other than that, he's awesome.

Zihark

Rating: 8/10

Eh, he's okay. He had a talent for getting hit by criticals a lot, and his speed wasn't quite up to par. His strength got blessed, and he could pretty decently ORKO most non-laguz non-general units with a Killer Edge or a Brave Sword. His talent for getting criticals killed him at least 4 times, so I dropped him after chapter 21 (The one where you fight Ena). Okay, he does have Adept-Vantage forced at you, so that gets him another half point.

Sothe

Rating: 10/10 5/10

Sothe. I didn't know that he wouldn't promote, so I kept him and trained him... to get him to level 20 with all stats capped and a talent for killing thieves. He was decent as a thief, and... phail as a fighter. He didn't dodge much, and his strength didn't do anything for him. Only with Stilettos could he kill SMs, even. Thank the lord for utility

Largo

Rating: 8/10

Good for Vantage-Guard. He was perfect with Killer Axes, with over 50 in crit and OHKO'd many opponents. Long range mages destroyed him, so he lost several points off that.

Geoffery

Pwnage. He maxed his Lance Level, and capped most of his stats. What else must I say?

Soren

I promoted him after the Ena chapter, and he was... not too good. He could kill any General easily, but his strength was too low. He needs too much babying to get up to par for my taste, but once he was up to par, he owned. Thanks, Wolf.

Well... that's my team for my very first PT.

Edited by Camtech075

Soren

Rating: ?/10

I promoted him after the Ena chapter, and he was... not too good. He could kill any General easily, but his strength was too low. I have no idea how to rate him, so... any suggestions?

Well... that's my team for my very first PT.

I say like a 7/10 or 8/10. Soren has excellent joining time, but you have to baby him. He will most like gain two or three stats a level:

Hp Str Mag Skl Spd Luck Def Res

Soren 45 5 60 55 40 30 15 55

His growths are pretty good, and the chances of being screwed by range are slim. The only thing he may lack if speed. I've had a low speed Soren before.

Soren is a perfect candidate for killing Ravens if you did not raise Rolf. The only other bad thing I can think of is lack of supports. You have to make sure that Stefan, or Ike aren't taken. To end this review yet again I say 7/10 or 8/10.

I would suggest lowering Geoffrey and Shinon, and raising Zihark to an 8. Zihark has some Def. issues, but he has very high speed and with an adept/vantage skill combo. he can eliminate many enemies without taking a hit. Stefan's dodge isn't good enough to make up for his relatively low def. and hp. Plus, Zihark comes with Adept (or is it Vantage), while Stefan comes with Astra, which, while good, isn't as useful as Adept.

And Shinon suffers from serious lack of playtime. He first appears way overleveled, then reappears way underleveled (unless you trained him constantly before he left).

Like others said, your numbers and your ratings do not match at all. 5/10 is exactly in the middle; it's average. You should gain or lose points from there, not take off from 10. Even so, you have stuff like...

Rolf

Good ol' Rofl (Yes, I did that on purpose). He could hit and kill things easily enough, but wasn't as resilient up front. He was nearly killed several times during the final map, especially when a Pally with a Brave Sword got past Ike to attack him. Thankfully, he had a decent dodge, so he survived a lot. He had strength issue, though. Even with the Double Bow he couldn't even kill a Falcon Knight until his strength capped (BEXP abuse)! That's how he lost that point. He reminds me of Gordin a lot. Besides his horrible defense. He was also very good in my first and 4th PT, so I happen to like him.

Even if I started at 10 and subtracted points, it would be something like:

-1 or -2 for dying so easily

-1 for strength problems

-1 for horrible defense, but you could combine that with dying

Being really generous, no better than 7 or 6. If you started at average like you should, pretty much his only positive would be...just about nothing. He'd have a 2 or 3 at best.

I know you said you're new at this, but instead of using that as an excuse, use it as a reason to take people's suggestions and try them out.

Like others said, your numbers and your ratings do not match at all. 5/10 is exactly in the middle; it's average. You should gain or lose points from there, not take off from 10. Even so, you have stuff like...

Even if I started at 10 and subtracted points, it would be something like:

-1 or -2 for dying so easily

-1 for strength problems

-1 for horrible defense, but you could combine that with dying

Being really generous, no better than 7 or 6. If you started at average like you should, pretty much his only positive would be...just about nothing. He'd have a 2 or 3 at best.

I know you said you're new at this, but instead of using that as an excuse, use it as a reason to take people's suggestions and try them out.

Actually, Rolf dodged pretty well, helping with is dying problem.

You're not counting before promotion.

This, and Rolf will have a lot of problems getting there. Underleveled, comes late, no enemy phase action because of bows, etc.

Edited by Alvis