Your problems with Christians

Janissary

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a militant atheist because I think believing something with no proof is stupid?

Fuck, news to me, thanks bro.

The active antitheist stance is sometimes called "militant" atheism.

Antitheism (sometimes anti-theism) is active opposition to theism.

Assuming you're actively opposed to theism (which I draw from many of your posts and statements like "Yes, all Christians are stupid in a way"), I don't see what you're so bothered about.

like when that place that i don't remember the name of wanted for creationism to be taught at schools as an alternative to evolution?

my memory is bad, so i really don't remember much of it

I believe it was Kansas that you're referring to. I actually think they wanted Intelligent Design to be the alternative. Whatever the case, it spawned Flying Spaghetti Monsterism (which is the best parody doctorine that I ever heard of), so in the end something good came out of it.

I'm sure you'd garner 10,000 loopy followers if you were to start a religion based on that. Heh.

Too bad L. Ron Hubbard beat us to it with Scientology.

Like what? (besides afterlife stuff)

Probably the creation of all of the matter in the known universe, probably. One of the fundamental misunderstandings in this debate seems to be that people don't realize that creation and evolution can go hand in hand. God could have created the universe (and the earth), but stuff also could have evolved so that from microbes we eventually got Adam and Eve. Science hasn't quite determined where all of the matter in the universe came from prior to the Big Bang, and it probably never will determine that. Of course, this is an atheist talking in the shoes of a Christian, but I still think that that could be something they'd go after.

The active antitheist stance is sometimes called "militant" atheism.

Antitheism (sometimes anti-theism) is active opposition to theism.

Assuming you're actively opposed to theism (which I draw from many of your posts and statements like "Yes, all Christians are stupid in a way"), I don't see what you're so bothered about.

I just find slapping labels on people based off of pathetic amounts of information and assumptions annoying, and after a few months of seeing it I get annoyed by it for a few days, then go back to being used to it.

I think that they are stupid, yes, I said that. I also said that I'm sure they think that I am. It's nothing but a very simple opinion similar to thinking that mint ice cream is better than chocolate, I am not going to walk up to someone eating chocolate and tell them to put down the fucking spoon.

Too bad L. Ron Hubbard beat us to it with Scientology.

Well played, sir.

Probably the creation of all of the matter in the known universe, probably. One of the fundamental misunderstandings in this debate seems to be that people don't realize that creation and evolution can go hand in hand. God could have created the universe (and the earth), but stuff also could have evolved so that from microbes we eventually got Adam and Eve. Science hasn't quite determined where all of the matter in the universe came from prior to the Big Bang, and it probably never will determine that. Of course, this is an atheist talking in the shoes of a Christian, but I still think that that could be something they'd go after.

Kind of.

Just wondering.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I do believe that there is a God.

But that's just what I believe. It really serves no purpose in this arguement.

I just find slapping labels on people based off of pathetic amounts of information and assumptions annoying, and after a few months of seeing it I get annoyed by it for a few days, then go back to being used to it.

I think that they are stupid, yes, I said that. I also said that I'm sure they think that I am. It's nothing but a very simple opinion similar to thinking that mint ice cream is better than chocolate, I am not going to walk up to someone eating chocolate and tell them to put down the fucking spoon.

I don't think that you're stupid because you're an atheist. :\

Edited by Julius

Assuming I'm the label-slapper here, ~100 of your posts on religion seems like more than "pathetic amounts of information" to me. Hey, if "I'm a Christian" is enough for you think someone's stupid, it's more than fair to say you're a militant atheist/active antitheist/Pink Panther off of many posts you've written, right?

I don't think it's appropriate to marginalize religion like that. It's not "nothing but" an opinion, because spirituality and religion matter to people on a level that preference in ice cream flavor doesn't.

Not saying I don't get your point about not going out screaming "YOU SIR ARE WRONG HAVE A GREAT DAY."

(triple negatives.)

Edited by YokaiKnight

Assuming I'm the label-slapper here, ~100 of your posts on religion seems like more than "pathetic amounts of information" to me. Hey, if "I'm a Christian" is enough for you think someone's stupid, it's more than fair to say you're a militant atheist/active antitheist/Pink Panther off of many posts you've written, right?

I got bored, I jumped into what was already a debate and poked the hive for laughs.

If thinking that believing something for no reason is stupid, then sure, sign me up. You are trying to make it sound like I go around trying to convert people or something, which is not the case, which you would know if you had the faintest idea who you are talking to. But you do not, you see a few small posts that I make when I get bored.

Stop making stupid assumptions.

Second part, bad comparisons are my thing, but you still get the point.

Edited by Death

You are trying to make it sound like I go around trying to convert people or something, which is not the case, which you would know if you had the faintest idea who you are talking to.

I'm well aware you don't do that. Wasn't that the whole point of your ice cream example?

By the way, does this mean I do have the faintest idea who I'm talking to, since I know that's not the case? I'm not sure if that's a logical fallacy or not.

Stop making stupid assumptions.
If you'll prove to me anything I said was a stupid assumption, I'll gladly take it back. I mean it. Edited by YokaiKnight

I'm well aware you don't do that. Wasn't that the whole point of your ice cream example?

By the way, does this mean I have the faintest idea who I'm talking to, since I know that's not the case? I'm not sure if that's a logical fallacy or not.

I think it was pretty clear that I meant you do not know me, you have seen a few little posts, so you need to stop acting like you do.

If you'll prove to me anything I said was a stupid assumption, I'll gladly take it back. I mean it.

I think I already made it as clear as it's getting, you decided to slap some cute little militant atheist label on me because I think that believing something for no reason is stupid.

I am not an active/militant atheist, and I do not see why you are making such a fuss over this. Well, maybe you are just bored and seeing how much time of mine you can waste?

I think it was pretty clear that I meant you do not know me, you have seen a few little posts, so you need to stop acting like you do.
It's a joke. Relax. :B
I am not an active/militant atheist, and I do not see why you are making such a fuss over this. Well, maybe you are just bored and seeing how much time of mine you can waste?
I am bored, yeah. But I'm just defending my statement. Nor is it my intent to waste your evening. Speaking of saying things about someone you don't know... :3

Aaanyway. If you don't actively oppose belief in God, why didn't you say so, like, a page ago?

Because I sometimes find it funny to see how much time people will put into discussions based on misunderstandings and such. Do note that I said "maybe", so as to make it non-accusatory (is that even a word?) so ha. This is just my bad habit or replying to each little thing in smaller posts kicking in. No idea why this happens, old habit.

Don't worry though, you aren't even in the top 10 with the time wasted in this. You know though, this little talk has made me realize that I am pretty close to being one.

Give me a year.

Late edit, poor choice of words that in this context was completely "ha". No word for it, just "ha".

Edited by Death

Because unlike you, I sometimes find it funny to see how much time people will put into discussions based on misunderstandings and such.
So do I, actually. :(
Do note that I said "maybe", so as to make it non-accusatory (is that even a word?) so ha.
I pulled that in this exchange too. MY GOD, WE MUST BE SNEAKY BASTARDS LONG-LOST BROTHERS!
This is just my bad habit or replying to each little thing in smaller posts kicking in. No idea why this happens, old habit.
I was countin' on it. ;)

I still maintain that my assessment was accurate. But I've derailed this thread long enough, so I'm done with the sideshow. Enjoy getting in the last word if you want.

You guys do realize that at least 70% of the Christian community, at least in this country, aren't crazy extremists who won't listen to any type of logic, right? You make it seem like every Christian goes around to every person they know trying to "expel the devil", screaming "SCIENCE IS WRONG".

Not every Christian is Loki.

I do not know if you were talking to me, but I am a strong believer!

I was merely stating why some people think we are "stupid." Even though those people are one-hundred percent INCORRECT. Just because most of us don't want to hear others preach about science, it doesn't mean we are stupid. Its the same with Atheists (etc.), they don't want to hear us preach about religion.

I on the other hand, love science so it doesn't matter to me. B)

I was merely stating why some people think we are "stupid." Even though those people are one-hundred percent INCORRECT.

So not only are you able to determine that all Christians posses traits and knowledge which would cause everyone on the planet to consider them smart, you can also magically make an opinion wrong, when an opinion can not be wrong or right in the first place?

lol

Just because most of us don't want to hear others preach about science, it doesn't mean we are stupid. Its the same with Atheists (etc.), they don't want to hear us preach about religion.

Religion and science do not really go together. Christians are taught that God made Adam and Eve, while evolution has been observed. They clash. Naturally, they can be mashed back together "lol, No, God made evolution I guess" but that's a whole other discussion.

So not only are you able to determine that all Christians posses traits and knowledge which would cause everyone on the planet to consider them smart, you can also magically make an opinion wrong, when an opinion can not be wrong or right in the first place?

lol

Religion and science do not really go together. Christians are taught that God made Adam and Eve, while evolution has been observed. They clash. Naturally, they can be mashed back together "lol, No, God made evolution I guess" but that's a whole other discussion.

Hello Death. ^^

1. Fine, I'll clarify; You or anyone can say we are stupid, but I'm backing Christian people up, and saying we aren't. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

2.Indeed it is.

Now, we don't know how God made Adam, He made Eve by a rib of Adam. Honestly, that has got to be a metaphor or something.

We know animals were here first (obviously, but I mean in the bible too), therefore the common ancestor of the human was alive then. Maybe that's when everything started to evolve. Just a hypothesis...

So, what, now that you can't really deny evolution without sounding like a lunatic you are saying that Adam was not a homosapien?

Honest question so I can be clear the kind of mind I am dealing with.

Uh, I'm saying he became one...