Women are inferior to men?

Masu

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, what the fuck? That was so random, without base, and ALMOST off topic that I can't believe anyone responded. Don't do that again.

I think women are capable of doing things that guys can, other than the obvious sex stuff. However, it can be sort of creepy. I've seen a few female bodybuilders..... Advice to the ladies: if you want to be attractive, don't be a bodybuilder. Also, men can do things that women are known for, although at the risk of being mistaken for gay. I've seen folks do each thing with efficiency, so I imagine that there isn't much gap between us men and ladies. As far as mind, I haven't studied that enough to judge, so I can't say anything.

@Destiny Hero: Your logic (if it can even be called that) is so densely concentrated with fallacies that it actually BROKE MY MIND for a minute.

I'd point out that the ability to turn two measly cells into a whole human life is pretty impressive.

@Bohemund: Men- better vision, women- better hearing? Interesting. Where'd you find that?

@Destiny Hero: Your logic (if it can even be called that) is so densely concentrated with fallacies that it actually BROKE MY MIND for a minute.

I'd point out that the ability to turn two measly cells into a whole human life is pretty impressive.

@Bohemund: Men- better vision, women- better hearing? Interesting. Where'd you find that?

Oh, that's an easy one. Say something under your breath when there's a women around, and she will probably hear you. Seriously. It might sound stereotypical, but in my experience, its true.

Actually, as stereotypical as it might sound, women tend to have a bit better hearing, due to the fact they need to be able to hear their young if in trouble. It's the same concept behind the fact that in many cases, a baby crying will wake a woman up, but not the man.

You guys really are hilarious. It's because women are conditioned to pay attention to people; after all, aren't they supposed to be little social butterflies? Your logic on the supposed evolutionary need for women to have better hearing falls apart because, in that same situation, wouldn't the men have to have excellent hearing to be good hunters?

There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically

It's because women are conditioned to pay attention to people; after all, aren't they supposed to be little social butterflies?
Do I hear a stereotype?

Actually:

Also, the hearing range for men worsens more quickly than the hearing range for women. This means that women will have the ability to hear notes of higher pitch than men of the same age do.
from http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/ChrisDAmbrose.shtml

Interestingly enough.

But that's off topic.

Returning to the topic... I'd say that men and women are of equal value, though their capabilities may be unequal in varying areas.

Edited by _____

Well I'd say that women are inferior to men because Doom says that holding doors open for women will get you laid and that sounds kinda whorish and that obviously means women are inferior.

In all seriousness though, I'd say that women and men are, and should be treated as, equals.

Do I hear a stereotype?

Great job missing the point. :P

Go back and reread that. He was saying that women aren't suddenly going to have to have better hearing than men because there would be no point.

Well, I understand the bit about the social conditioning to pay attention, but the "social butterflies" bit was unnecessary.
Yeah, it was, considering I know some very introverted girls...

STILL MISSING THE POINT. Seriously. Read it again. The "social butterflies" part was intended to show the ridiculousness of the position.

There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically. There's no difference neurologically
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong

For starters, it's fairly common knowledge that men and women produce different amounts of horomones released from the pituitary gland (controlled by the hypothalamus). Much of the female frontal (higher functions) and parietal lobe (a bunch of stuff) is larger than the male's. Women have a larger hippocampus, and tend to use it to navigate differently than males do; this has been observed in rats as well as people. Males have a larger amygdala (emotional response) than women, as well as the corpus callosum. Since size increase is directly related to neuron count, and almost always will have some effect on function.

You probably know that male infants seem to pick toys like cars more often, while females pick dolls; this has been observed in monkeys as well, seriously challenging the idea that the difference is merely thanks to cultural norms.

These differences are only tendencies and ultimately have small effects on how things play out in the real world. But to say that "there's no difference neurologically" is dead wrong.

Well I'd say that women are inferior to men because Doom says that holding doors open for women will get you laid and that sounds kinda whorish and that obviously means women are inferior.

In all seriousness though, I'd say that women and men are, and should be treated as, equals.

Tell that to the draft.

For starters, it's fairly common knowledge that men and women produce different amounts of horomones released from the pituitary gland (controlled by the hypothalamus). Much of the female frontal (higher functions) and parietal lobe (a bunch of stuff) is larger than the male's. Women have a larger hippocampus, and tend to use it to navigate differently than males do; this has been observed in rats as well as people. Males have a larger amygdala (emotional response) than women, as well as the corpus callosum. Since size increase is directly related to neuron count, and almost always will have some effect on function.

That's not neurological. That's a chemical difference which can easily be reversed - and moreover, the hindbrain has almost no bearing on thought processes, it is much better considered a non-mental physiological difference than one of thinking.. Also, the brain is not born developed; how you learn and are treated far into childhood drastically changes brain structure and the preeminence of some regions. Hell, even teenagers can have changes; for example, musicians consistently develop a stronger corpus callosum and larger temporal lobe than non-musicians, even when training starts as late as teenage years. I'm pretty sure that gender didn't determine that difference; how do you know that the deep-rooted difference in treatment of boys and girls - literally from birth- doesn't affect those different structures as well? "Neuron count" does not have an affect on function; size reflects more upon the connectedness of a lobe with the rest of the brain and its frequent use. It falls right in, then, that treatment of boys and girls differently influences what structures are 'important' in their development as a child and get more frequent use.

You probably know that male infants seem to pick toys like cars more often, while females pick dolls; this has been observed in monkeys as well, seriously challenging the idea that the difference is merely thanks to cultural norms.

Yeah, I'd like to see some proof on that.

STILL MISSING THE POINT. Seriously. Read it again. The "social butterflies" part was intended to show the ridiculousness of the position.

I tend to be hyperbolic, it is true.

Men and women have different advantages and disadvantages, which makes them equal in my opinion.

Also, just an interesting fact to toss out there, according to my gym teacher, women actually have better stamina then men. The way he put it, the best female runner will always be a better runner than the best male runner. When I asked why, he said something along the lines of it having to do with how womens bodies process fat.

Also, just an interesting fact to toss out there, according to my gym teacher, women actually have better stamina then men. The way he put it, the best female runner will always be a better runner than the best male runner. When I asked why, he said something along the lines of it having to do with how womens bodies process fat.

That becomes a factor only extremely late in the game. But yes, in 100+ mile races, women actually hold a distinct advantage. But everything shorter than that the fastest times are all held by men (world record marathon times are 10-15 minutes faster for men, on average 4:48 mile splits, for women 5:11 . This ~20-25 second difference is actually showing a slight pickup for women, for the record single-mile times show women lagging by about 30 seconds).

Edited by Black Knight

That's not neurological. That's a chemical difference which can easily be reversed - and moreover, the hindbrain has almost no bearing on thought processes, it is much better considered a non-mental physiological difference than one of thinking..
Neurology is the medical science of the nervous system. I'm giving you differences between the central nervous system (specifically the brain) of dudes and dudettes. I'm not sure how they don't amount to neurological differences.

On second thought, you said difference, so I'm just not sure which fact you're referring to. The point still stands that men and women's brains are different.

Also, the brain is not born developed; how you learn and are treated far into childhood drastically changes brain structure and the preeminence of some regions. Hell, even teenagers can have changes; for example, musicians consistently develop a stronger corpus callosum and larger temporal lobe than non-musicians, even when training starts as late as teenage years. I'm pretty sure that gender didn't determine that difference; how do you know that the deep-rooted difference in treatment of boys and girls - literally from birth- doesn't affect those different structures as well?
Of course there are other factors that affect the brain; many of them probably play a larger role than sex. That doesn't mean gender has no effect.

Here; why don't you see for yourself that males and females have different brains from birth? Start at the bottom of the third page. (This will cover your request for proof on that toy selection thing, too.)

"Neuron count" does not have an affect on function; size reflects more upon the connectedness of a lobe with the rest of the brain and its frequent use.
Shitty word choice on my part by using "function." Men and women pretty much do the same things, but consistently in different amounts, thanks to indeed the frequency of a lobe's use.
It falls right in, then, that treatment of boys and girls differently influences what structures are 'important' in their development as a child and get more frequent use.
I agree, but I more or less addressed this above.

He sounds like the people in the Old Testament of the Bible. Very few Christians still believe that, and very few of other religions, but there are enough that it isn't uncommon to run into one. For example, my wife seems to believe that. Not to the extent he did, but she believes men are in charge in a relationship. I sure don't, but that makes it hard to do anything. I can't even tell her to shut up, because if I say "Shut the fuck up, men aren't in charge, dammit! It's equal!" or anything similar, she just listens to me, which is exactly what I want her to do, but for different reasons... It's confusing.

Men are superior to women. Women can't even take their shirts off, and it must be pretty freaking annoying having to carry around two huge lumps on your chest. Also, they have to have the baby, and they have to take it :U

As long as the men aren't retarded perverts, they're superior.

My brain bled at the utter retardness of your post.

Enjoy your warn.

Yay.

I still stand by saying I think they're equal and can do anything the other can do (not counting bodily things that require specific parts obviously)

Men and Women are equal,the only real differences are in body structure and individual traits,for example,I am smarter than most Girls I know,but most of them could kick my ass,despite people saying guys are stronger and girls are smarter.Basically anything can be done by either,with some exceptions,however,culturally,men and women tend to lean towards different activities.