In this topic, I will explain why calling Shadow Dragon FE11 is silly

The biggest thing of all, is that Shadow Dragon is just a remake, it isn't a new game and thus shouldn't increment the numbering.

I will get this point out of the way ASAP: FE3 is called FE3 because it is an entirely new game with an OPTIONAL remake added in. That's why it gets a new number.

It would make far more sense for remakes to share the same number of the game they are a remake of, and include the platform the remake is on. So, Shadow Dragon SHOULD be either FEDS, or FE1DS, not FE11. If, for example, FE4 was remade on the Wii, we would call it FE4Wii, rather than say FE13. It is undeniably clear that FE4Wii means a remake of FE4 on the Wii, and we wouldn't have to be TOLD that it is that, whereas calling it FE13 means we would have to know for a fact that FE13 is a remake of FE4, and the numbering just starts getting more confusing.

It is just a far simpler system that makes loads more sense.

Would you rather have it like this?

FE11 - remake of FE1

FE12 - new FE

FE13 - FE4 remake

FE14 - new FE

FE15 - new FE

FE16 - Remake of FE5

FE17 - new FE

FE18 - Remake of FE7

Or, like this?

FE1DS

FE11

FE12

FE3DS

FE4Wii

FE13

FE5Wii

FE6Wii

The latter is far easier to understand

But really, using a number system is pretty bogus in the first place, just use acronyms, this isn't Final Fantasy! They're far easier to understand than numbers, because it's super easy to tell that FE:SnK means Seisen no Keifu, and you don't need people to tell you "lolno, FE4 isn't Thracia 776, it's Seisen no Keifu, you noob".

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest thing of all, is that Shadow Dragon is just a remake, it isn't a new game and thus shouldn't increment the numbering.

There's a number of cosmetic and mechanical differences between the two.

Would you rather have it like this?

I'd actually rather have the former.

But really, using a number system is pretty bogus in the first place, just use acronyms, this isn't Final Fantasy! They're far easier to understand than numbers, because it's super easy to tell that FE:SnK means Seisen no Keifu, and you don't need people to tell you "lolno, FE4 isn't Thracia 776, it's Seisen no Keifu, you noob".

Wait, wait, wait. I thought FE:SnK was Souen no Kiseki? I'm so confused! @_@

There's a number of cosmetic and mechanical differences between the two.

That's the whole POINT of a REMAKE.

I'd actually rather have the former.

So? You're dondon

Wait, wait, wait. I thought FE:SnK was Souen no Kiseki? I'm so confused! @_@

We aren't Japanese.

No. I have given you proof how it is a flawed system and an idea for a much better system we should be using.

...Yeah, you've been exposed, Marth Koopa.

Once again, confusing fact and opinion.

...Yeah, you've been exposed, Marth Koopa.

Once again, confusing fact and opinion.

I am not this Marth Koopa person

Please re read the first post in this topic and look at all of the proof and facts I have laid out for the community. It is a flawed system that should be discontinued in favor of my far superior system.

I am not this Marth Koopa person

Please re read the first post in this topic and look at all of the proof and facts I have laid out for the community. It is a flawed system that should be discontinued in favor of my far superior system.

:rolleyes:

The writing is on the wall, dude.

That you say you aren't Marth Koopa when you almost definitely are. I have one big hole in your logic. It should be called FE11 because IT'S THE ELEVENTH FIRE EMBLEM GAME RELEASED. Plus, changing the "flawed system" would just make it so that no one knew which game anyone else was talking about.

Think about this: when they remade FFVI for PS2, and eventually GBA (or maybe GBA came first? I dunno,) did they give that remake a new number? No. Should FE give remakes new numbers? Ha, ha, no.

Fire emblem gives games numbers for one reason, that isn't obvious with final fantasy. That is, FE7 is called fire emblem.

That's the only reason people really use numbers. To distinguish FE7 from every other fire emblem.

As far as I'm aware, Final Fantasy was officially given numbers by the creators. Fire Emblem was not. So comparing the two isn't entirely accurate.

Imagine if FE 6 and 7 were bundled together and remade as one game on wii. Then it would be called what? FE 7/6 Wii? Or FE 6/7 Wii? Since the games aren't ordered plot and chronologically?

Imagine that, "Im playing FE 7/6 on the wii". I can imagine the confusion. "Oh, has FE7 made it to the virtual console?"

Just number them sequentially, based off release date. It's easier that way. Otherwise we may as well call FE 7 FE 6 and FE 6 FE 7, since they are plot-wise in reverse order.

If you really don't want to call it FE11, nobody really cares if you write FE DS or FE SD, everyone knows what your talking about.

/thread

I wanted to make a rant about why I think the numbering system is just silly so I guess you saved me some time.

Acronyms are just as flawed, if not more. In your example, you used the Japanese subtitles, but not everyone knows them. Not to mention SnK can also equal Seima no Kouseki or Souen no Kiseki (aka FE8, FE9). Meanwhile, half the English subtitles are unofficial and a few are disputed (Mystery of the Emblem vs Riddle of the Crest).

Now, I'm not saying FE11 is the perfect acronym, but for now there's nothing for fans to get confused over. Besides, not everyone uses it so I don't see why people are complaining. There are problably more people who call it FE DS, FE SD, etc.

I just use it because it's more elegant and also because IS calls it FIREEMBLEM11 in the ROM (well, they also called The Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance FE8, but I'm sure we can distinguish which is which ourselves).

Ankoku (FE1), Gaiden (FE2), Monshou (FE3), Seisen (FE4), Thracia (FE5), Fuuin (FE6), Rekka (FE7), Seima (FE8), Souen (FE9), Akatsuki (FE10), New Ankoku (FEDS).

Theoretical DS remake: New Gaiden (FEDS2), if they keep the 'New' in the title. I don't see how anyone can get confused by this unless they don't understand that New Ankoku is remake. When speaking of Monshou I really only mean Book II, and state Book I or 'the remake of the first' if I'm talking about the first remake of the game. The rest is pretty simple.