Lux's Luscious Lair of Sprites!

Lux Aeterna

Well, I decided to make my own map. This would sort of be like a plains village. Oh, and yeah there's a bit of tile abuse; I haven't figured out how to diversify the tiles yet. But here it is!

xee7ww.png

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I decided to make my own map. This would sort of be like a plains village. Oh, and yeah there's a bit of tile abuse; I haven't figured out how to diversify the tiles yet. But here it is!

xee7ww.png

how did you get mappy to work? The .bmp's look exactly like what you gave in your last post. o_O

My oh my a map. Since it's your first map I'll say this about map making, if you are some what confused about how it's suppose to look try look at a previously done map from the game. Also since it's not going into a game I won't be too harsh. The grass, trees, and walls have major tile spamage and the walls have the wrong tiles. Look at Lyn's first map and see how the map has smooth grass and there is various forest tiles for a reasons I say try using them.

Also to help "cut" down on the excess tiles do this next time.

Click Map Tools.

Click Remove Unused or Duplicates.

Uncheck the 2nd and 3rd boxs then click ok.

You should have all the tiles for that tileset.

*NOTE* Do not try to switch tilesets when working with one to another you will have issues later.

Edited by Blazing_Soul

how did you get mappy to work? The .bmp's look exactly like what you gave in your last post. o_O

I used the FE8 tileset. That one works for some reason. ^^

My oh my a map. Since it's your first map I'll say this about map making, if you are some what confused about how it's suppose to look try look at a previously done map from the game. Also since it's not going into a game I won't be too harsh. The grass, trees, and walls have major tile spamage and the walls have the wrong tiles. Look at Lyn's first map and see how the map has smooth grass and there is various forest tiles for a reasons I say try using them.

Also to help "cut" down on the excess tiles do this next time.

Click Map Tools.

Click Remove Unused or Duplicates.

Uncheck the 2nd and 3rd boxs then click ok.

You should have all the tiles for that tileset.

*NOTE* Do not try to switch tilesets when working with one to another you will have issues later.

Yeah, I haven't figured it out yet, so I knew I tile spammed. I wasn't able to figure out what worked for the side walls, so I just took a guess.

I'll heed your advice in the future.

I have two more sprites to show you people. First one is called Lydia.

11axu2h.png

1zxs8dt.png

There are some green pixels on the feather that should not be there. For the ones near the ear, use the grey color. As for the other one use the dark green tone.

The area on her left cheek needs to be shaded. Please use Ursula as a reference. On a related note, the shading on the forehead is also wrong. I suppose you could also use Ursula as a reference although it might be a bit more tricky.

On her right cheek, the pixel I circled should be using the outline color, not the grey one.

Also the shading where the body meets the clothes is also wrong.

You're using several layers of skin tones, which generally results in pillow-shading, but in your case, it looks more like the clothes are coming out of her flesh. I'm overexaggerating, but that's what it almost looks like to me. >_>

For a reference:

160srh2.png

The first one is what you're doing, and the second is what you could aim for. For a better reference, just look at Leila's sprite.

Next up is Maria.

2mcd3pj.png

I won't comment much on Maria, because sorry to tell you this, but it looks really bad... >_>

-The head is too big for the body.

-The hair don't really fit the head, which doesn't really fit the body either.

-The shading on the forehead and the neck are wrong.

-The neck seems a bit long.

-There are several pixels of outline missing.

-Don't use the green color on the white part of her clothes. It works with Serra because purple can serve as a shade of white but not green. >_>

Edited by Marthur

1zxs8dt.png

There are some green pixels on the feather that should not be there. For the ones near the ear, use the grey color. As for the other one use the dark green tone.

The area on her left cheek needs to be shaded. Please use Ursula as a reference. On a related note, the shading on the forehead is also wrong. I suppose you could also use Ursula as a reference although it might be a bit more tricky.

On her right cheek, the pixel I circled should be using the outline color, not the grey one.

Also the shading where the body meets the clothes is also wrong.

You're using several layers of skin tones, which generally results in pillow-shading, but in your case, it looks more like the clothes are coming out of her flesh. I'm overexaggerating, but that's what it almost looks like to me. >_>

For a reference:

160srh2.png

The first one is what you're doing, and the second is what you could aim for. For a better reference, just look at Leila's sprite.

Better?

2n1uf5w.png

I won't comment much on Maria, because sorry to tell you this, but it looks really bad... >_>

I hated it, too. It's just through my personal experience, I hate pretty much every face sprite I make (Lux and Lydia excluded), and usually people like them... Key word=Usually. I'm destined to bomb all the time every now and then, right?

Oh and uhhh... I'm just glad you finally critiqued me again. Thanks. : D

Edited by Lux Aeterna

1z1e052.png

The left side of her neck is slanted towards her chin way too much, so it looks like she's moving her head backwards and her neck is too long as a result of this. Other than that, I see no huge problems.

124jvq8.png

Her neck seems a bit long, but it might just be me. It looks fairly good beside that.

1z1e052.png

The left side of her neck is slanted towards her chin way too much, so it looks like she's moving her head backwards and her neck is too long as a result of this. Other than that, I see no huge problems.

124jvq8.png

Her neck seems a bit long, but it might just be me. It looks fairly good beside that.

Oh! No, it's supposed to look like that. I portrayed her as shy, so she reflexively pulls her neck back like that.

It's probably just you. Fir's neck is just as long, and that clothing comes from Fir.

124jvq8.png

Her eyes look a teensy bit odd.

Her eyes look a teensy bit odd.

I don't have enough to go one from that. If you're talking about the color, it's supposed to be like that. Otherwise, please be more specific. Thanks. ^^

Ah that's better. Does this work?

wqz37.png

She's missing eyebrows, and her right eye should be pushed a pixel over to our left. On top of that, I don't think the hair colour and the eye colour go together very well.

She's missing eyebrows, and her right eye should be pushed a pixel over to our left. On top of that, I don't think the hair colour and the eye colour go together very well.

Before I edit, do you think the hair color should replace the eye color? Or vice versa? Personally, I think green would be better, to make Narcissa look a bit more like her own character.

Before I edit, do you think the hair color should replace the eye color? Or vice versa? Personally, I think green would be better, to make Narcissa look a bit more like her own character.

Green might be better, but for what?

Green might be better, but for what?

To swap the colors.

Then the hair is blue, and the eyes are green.

Ah that's better. Does this work?

wqz37.png

Adding to what has already been said:

-Both eyes should be moved to the left IMO.

-The shape of the face is wrong on the left side, near the eye.

-Too much shading on the neck

-There are some blue pixels (from the clothes) at the bottom of her hair.

Edited by Marthur