FE4 THREAD

Fia

On that note, I actually have a legitimate question about FE4/5. Does the game calculate damage/etc. for you? I recall reading something about having to use your characters' statistics and calculate everything on your own before attacking. (It was on Tumblr, so the truth in this is questionable.) XD Last time I bothered with FE4 I was still in high school, so I can't remember if this is true or not. >o<

• Replies 674.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheEnd

• Rei Rei

• Ϲharlie

• Icon of Sin

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still upset because no matte how Grrrrrreat they are I said Froot Loops first.

/le sigh

^You need to calculate numbers yourself.

Edited by Darros

On that note, I actually have a legitimate question about FE4/5. Does the game calculate damage/etc. for you? I recall reading something about having to use your characters' statistics and calculate everything on your own before attacking. (It was on Tumblr, so the truth in this is questionable.) XD Last time I bothered with FE4 I was still in high school, so I can't remember if this is true or not. >o<

They just give you both units' power, defense, hit and avoid. I never felt the need to read them or do any calcultions in either game.

Edited by Marthur

I just couldn't get into it, and the hype/elitism has kind of left me bitter. :/ I haven't attempted to play FE5 because everyone has scared me away by saying "OMG JAPANESE HARD". XD I'm not against the idea though. Leaf seems pretty likable. :3

Leaf is basically Roy with brown hair and white armor. :Roy:

Also, not liking FE4 is perfectly acceptable as it is a very poorly designed game.

Leaf is basically Roy with brown hair and white armor. :Roy:

Also, not liking FE4 is perfectly acceptable as it is a very poorly designed game.

If we're going to talk about game design, FE4 is way better than FE5.

I don't know, at least dismoutning works correctly in FE5.

Dismounting has no purpose in FE4. I honestly think that they intended to have it for all units and then removed them but forgot about Celice, hence why the option cause the game to crash.

But I'm talking about the menus here. Thracia's interface is pretty atrocious. For instance, I feel that the whole process of capturing, stealing and releasing could have been done better. It's really annoying to work with. Fatigue could have been handled better by allowing the use of items during battle preparations. The fact you can't position your units on the map during battle preps. The fog of war being completely black. Dismounting rendering some weapons unusuable, etc...

They're much worse game design flaws than FE4's.

Edited by Marthur

*Hits TheEnd's Translate button*

Dastards1.pngDastards2.png

こんな連中ごときてこずりやがって! = "You're having trouble with these guys!?"

That part. Is that just a fixed word with "Renchu"? Or is it an extension like "Tachi" or "Ra"?

Edited by shadowofchaos

But I'm talking about the menus here. Thracia's interface is pretty atrocious. For instance, I feel that the whole process of capturing, stealing and releasing could have been done better. It's really annoying to work with. Fatigue could have been handled better by allowing the use of items during battle preparations. The fact you can't position your units on the map during battle preps. The fog of war being completely black. Dismounting rendering some weapons unusuable, etc...

I didn't mind those processes.

Fatigue can be cancelled by giving an S Drink to a fatigued unit during the battle preparations. It's gone once you leave the map. I'm not really sure where the issue is.

No positionning sucks I suppose. They didn't have that until FE6 I believe. Perhaps they tried but couldn't handle it.

The fog of war in this game was night combat actually, so black seems fair.

Fighting with a weapon on a mount and on foot is different. I can see why they made most dismounted knights have swords, though it did make Free/Forrest Knights better suited for indoor maps than their lance or axe using counterparts, and even then, Fin starts with the same sword rank as Machua while Brighton's at least a D, is forced to swords for a good three chapters and even has Wrath.

Edited by Dio

Oh great, Shining Force III forces me to use my underleveled backup members in an important parallel battle

*Hits TheEnd's Translate button*

That part. Is that just a fixed word with "Renchu"? Or is it an extension like "Tachi" or "Ra"?

ごとき implies contempt - "those guys are worse than we are, they're no match for us"-ish.

For instance, you could translate "盗賊ごとき" as "mere thieves", etc.

-beep-

Edited by TheEnd

I didn't mind those processes.

I did.

Fatigue can be cancelled by giving an S Drink to a fatigued unit during the battle preparations. It's gone once you leave the map. I'm not really sure where the issue is.

I know that.

Takes a slot in the inventory.

No positionning sucks I suppose. They didn't have that until FE6 I believe. Perhaps they tried but couldn't handle it.

Even if they tried (and I don't think they did), the fact is that it's not there

The fog of war in this game was night combat actually, so black seems fair.

Even during night time you can see a tree or a mountain in front of you. Gamewise, it's bad design because you can't see on what tile you're going to land. It's also visually unappealing and boring.

Fighting with a weapon on a mount and on foot is different. I can see why they made most dismounted knights have swords, though it did make Free/Forrest Knights better suited for indoor maps than their lance or axe using counterparts, and even then, Fin starts with the same sword rank as Machua while Brighton's at least a D, is forced to swords for a good three chapters and even has Wrath.

And it's still bad design in a game where you are encouraged to use different type of weapons to your advantage.

Dismounting has no purpose in FE4. I honestly think that they intended to have it for all units and then removed them but forgot about Celice, hence why the option cause the game to crash.

They're much worse game design flaws than FE4's.

Neither are flawless, and both are experimental. FE4, on the other hand, has much more pronounced balance issues and can be tedious to complete thanks to the sheer distance it forces units to travel, compounding the balance issues between foot and mounted units. The weapons, while awesome, are a design and balance joke. One of the most important mechanics in the game, pairing for children, is IIRC hinted at, at best, and while it has rules that can be made sense of, they're still unnecessarily arcane for something that isn't explained in detail. I also didn't know until past the first chapter that I could save progress at the beginning of a turn, which is silly, though ultimately appreciated.

Neither is impossible to complete or have fun with, and they both do interesting things. But I wouldn't hold either of them as paragons of game design, even one over the other.

I know that.

Takes a slot in the inventory.

When FE5 has quite likely the most broken trade system, losing one item on one character doesn't strike me as bad. I can just trade whatever seventh item (if needed, really) I needed on him on turn 1.

Even during night time you can see a tree or a mountain in front of you. Gamewise, it's bad design because you can't see on what tile you're going to land. It's also visually unappealing and boring.

I think it added another layer of suspense. Not only you don't see the enemies, but you don't see the terrain either. In Super Thracia, it's even better considering the enemies are more than capable of ripping you a new one. Especially if they seem to be innocent children armed with battle axes.

I don't think visibility should be that apparent either. You have a weapon in your hands and there might not be any torches or light to guide you around.

And it's still bad design in a game where you are encouraged to use different type of weapons to your advantage.

I wouldn't quite say that. I'll admit, however, that it's annoying that most knights start with low weapon ranks in swords compared to their other weapons.

Besides, indoor maps mostly favor walking units, who tend to get less action outdoors.

Edited by Dio

Caffeine is a drug right? Then again I guess I don't use tea, I drink it!

No, I don't think Caffeine is a drug, Coffee is Caffeine. But, I drink Hot Chocolate instead.

No, I don't think Caffeine is a drug, Coffee is Caffeine. But, I drink Hot Chocolate instead.

... Hot Chocolate has Caffeine.

"Caffeine is a bitter, white crystalline xanthine alkaloid that acts as a stimulant drug."

It's not enough to cause harm to you in regular quantities you find in food and such.

Now if you had a small bag of it and swallowed it, it'd be enough to kill you, yes.