• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheEnd

• Rei Rei

• Ϲharlie

• Icon of Sin

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey look it's TE and Rey.

Just who I was looking for to ask my second series of language related questions.

So uh how long did it take you dudes to get as proficient in Japanese as you are? Do you feel fluent in the language or just able to understand? And finally, if you were to go and live in Japan for the sole purpose of becoming properly fluent in the language, how long do you think it'd take?

Just who I was looking for to ask my second series of language related questions.

So uh how long did it take you dudes to get as proficient in Japanese as you are? Do you feel fluent in the language or just able to understand? And finally, if you were to go and live in Japan for the sole purpose of becoming properly fluent in the language, how long do you think it'd take?

I studied for around 6 years, but I wouldn't say I'm fluent - but then again, my objective has always been LOLGAMES, and it has been reasonably met.

If you want to know about going to Japan shenanigans, AceNoctali might be a better reference.

Me? Dunno. I've been taking classes for a total of 7 years... *shrug*

It was basically "Easy Class" up until Business Japanese. I feel like I have a long way to go if you mean having a fluent conversation with a native speaker.

Probably a few weeks. My friend who went on his mission to Japan had to do so. And he was a bit challenged on the IB Japanese classes I took with him in High School.

I studied for around 6 years, but I wouldn't say I'm fluent - but then again, my objective has always been LOLGAMES, and it has been reasonably met.

If you want to know about going to Japan shenanigans, AceNoctali might be a better reference.

Me? Dunno. I've been taking classes for a total of 7 years... *shrug*

It was basically "Easy Class" up until Business Japanese. I feel like I have a long way to go if you mean having a fluent conversation with a native speaker.

Probably a few weeks. My friend who went on his mission to Japan had to do so. And he was a bit challenged on the IB Japanese classes I took with him in High School.

Alright, thanks.

But so much time, so much time.

[spoiler=#no one cares but im explaining anyways]Anyway I bring all this up because I've come to realize that since I don't care about having a lot of money, have no academic field of interest or great ambition, and am cursed with wanderlust traveling the world to become truly multilingual (at least quadrilingual) could be a good idea. The way I figure it, people who can actually fluently speak multiple languages have a lot of avenues of work, or at the least it could be a leg up in getting hired over someone else. Thinking about this, I'm trying to figure a reasonable timeframe to get all this done. Knowing english and being fairly certain I can re-familiarize myself with spanish within a year, I'm thinking maybe it can be done in a decade.

I've seen cases of 1 year of formal study + 1-2 years in Japan that produced awesome results, though.

Edited by TheEnd

I've seen cases of 1 year of formal study + 1-2 years in Japan that produced awesome results, though.

^This.

Total Immersion in a language pretty much kicks the crap out of the formal study I've had in the US.