FE4 THREAD

Fia

folderpreview3.png

There is no video game logs in there.

Also why do I have so many bookmarks? I feel so tired already.

>Tari

what

Boo for no name spoilers

I'm getting a headache.

The "First look at localization" thread is turning into the FE12 Translation thread.

The old name change hate?

You could always ignore those posts

今のレイには無理だ。

Edited by TheEnd

• Replies 674.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheEnd

• Rei Rei

• Ϲharlie

• Icon of Sin

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting a headache.

The "First look at localization" thread is turning into the FE12 Translation thread.

Every video game fandom bickers over their favorite games' localization. Hell, there are still people who think Ted Woolsey is the devil because of his supposed awful translation of FFVI.

今のレイには無理だ。

Hmm I see.

I can't. The French one's power level is too great for me to ignore. My scouter is showing it's off the charts. And he doesn't even know a lick of Japanese.

Oh alright, you could use some Yoohoos.

Every video game fandom bickers over their favorite games' localization. Hell, there are still people who think Ted Woolsey is the devil because of his supposed awful translation of FFVI.

I remember an "improvement" patch someone made to make FF6 "closer to the original"

It included truncated esper names

>FFVI

>Awful translation

What?

>Tari

what

Boo for no name spoilers

Crazy, right?

I'm going through my unused bookmarks since this is the last one. There is one from page 14 for crying out loud.

That way, the disappointment will be greater once I release it.

I remember an "improvement" patch someone made to make FF6 "closer to the original"

It included truncated esper names

I played a fan translation of FFVIj a few years back. It was a solid translation from a technical standpoint, but... the script was more or less the same as the original translation. I seriously had to wonder if they actually translated the original Japanese script from the ground up, or if they simply took Ted Woolsey's translation and reworded it to sound a bit better. Not to mention they also used a hideous menu font, and FFVIj's menu layout wasn't designed to fit expanded item names. They also called epsers "phantom beasts", which sounds really awkward in English despite being an accurate translation of what the Japanese script calls them.

But hey, at least it gave us a chance to rename Cyan's sword techniques!

Edited by Charlie

Hey Rey or TE just wondering how do you guys translate it when someone addresses others with senpai? Do you guys just put the name+senpai? Or just the name?

I guess some examples would be in Fate Stay Night where Sakura addresses Shiro as senapi, in Persona 4 Arena I think I saw this quote "Watch out Chie senpai has muscles.", and in Macross Frontier there's this character named Luka who always address others like "Alto senapi".

Thanks.

I've only translated Fire Emblem stuff and a little Saint Seiya. I've never really had to deal with senpai.

I suppose it'd depend on context.

If I were translating something culturally highly Japanese, I'd likely leave senpai there and not give it a second thought.

If not... then I'd think about what to do. But name-senpai would most likely become just [name] or just [senpai's translation]. Like senior or veteran.

Hey Rey or TE just wondering how do you guys translate it when someone addresses others with senpai? Do you guys just put the name+senpai? Or just the name?

I guess some examples would be in Fate Stay Night where Sakura addresses Shiro as senapi, in Persona 4 Arena I think I saw this quote "Watch out Chie senpai has muscles.", and in Macross Frontier there's this character named Luka who always address others like "Alto senapi".

Thanks.

I personally HATE... HATE Japanese honorifics in English. I just say the name in the case of "senpai".

When it comes to titles like "Sensei", "Taicho", "Sama", etc... it depends on context. I usually go with "Dr.", "Professor", "Ms/Mr." for regular teachers, "Lord", "Lady", "Milady", "Captain", etc.

/abuses RNG

To date. The only one that has EVER said that and me not made me cringe or flinch, was Yuki.

ワン・トルー・ペアリング

Dragon Rage is so broken in earlygame

Cyan's Techs should be used with an input command like Sabin's Blitzes.

At least that'd make his later techs usable.