• Calill
    • Sanaki
    • Soren
    • Bastian

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time she gets to use Rexflame to a real advantage is when it still only has 15 uses. I think Micaiah's better than that.

WHy does Rexflame magically become useless after it gets infinite uses?

I think that dondon's point was that you don't get a second attack because of resolve so a ORKO is not a ORKO. But because the programmers were either not paying attention with the North American localization or the designers wanted it this way, a ORKO from 3 range or more is still a ORKO.

I see. I don't think it's a localization error, though, but more like a programming oversight. I always thought Resolve activates for every attack in combat in which the user is under half HP. For example, I've done 3-6 with untransformed Resolve Volug numerous times and I've never had 18 AS tigers ORKO him. It seems that Resolve only activates on an enemy attack if it had activated on a player attack at some point.

You have a grand total of 3 endgame maps. Way too much emphasis is placed on endgame when arguing about Calill.

Only enemy in the game that has Resolve is Levail, and 36 speed does not always double. Also, it's not like Impale is gonna insta-blick all the time. Double teaming on him or having Shinon attack first also works.

Edited by Joshybear25

Thunder magic is better in 4-E-3 due to dragons.

Then after that, all you fight is enemies with o____O resistance, so you might as well not field her.

Thunder magic is better in 4-E-3 due to dragons.

Then after that, all you fight is enemies with o____O resistance, so you might as well not field her.

A mage needs a mere 51 attack to kill every spirit there is. Calill has an A support by 4-E-4, likely. Rexflame has 14 mt. Without Nasir she needs 35 mag to kill them all.

Thunder spirit: 38 hp, 30 res

Fire spirt: 40hp, 30 res

Wind spirit: 38 hp, 32 res.

On HM, she needs 35 mag. On NM, she needs 34 mag because 50 mt means:

49 vs thunder,

50 vs fire,

51 vs wind.

killing them all with a double.

And she needs 31 speed for rexflame to allow her to double. And the spirits spend a lot of time on cover tiles because you have so many physical units. She isn't useless.

Heck, any mage with meteor and Nasir can kill these things too.

Meteor has 8 mt. Nasir gives 5 magic and 5 speed.

You need 38 magic without supports on HM, or 37 magic on NM. Also, you just need 29 speed now because Nasir gives 5.

With Bolting obviously the magic score needs to be 2 higher on HM, but since Calill and Soren have dark and Calill and Soren can support other mages, with supports it means:

36 magic on HM with Meteor, 38 with Bolting.

35 magic on NM with Meteor, 39 magic with Bolting (weapon triangle pains for killing wind spirits), or 36 magic on NM against Fire and Thunder.

On EM obviously you can either drop the Nasir requirement or use Nasir and drop the magic requirement by 5 and the speed requirement by 5.

They are not useless, although since Soren and Ilyana have better magic they are likely better with the ranged stuff.

And against cover tile auras Calill is pretty good too. With a support and just 33 magic, she can use Nasir and her support to get 54 mt with Rexflame, causing 48 damage to a corner aura due to doubling (needs 31 speed, for 31+3+5-35=4), enough for Mia with Parity to kill.

Calill is actually pretty useful in 4-E-4 and 4-E-5, and other mages are more useful against spirits since they can range, but less useful against auras since they can't double.

Only enemy in the game that has Resolve is Levail, and 36 speed does not always double. Also, it's not like Impale is gonna insta-blick anyway. Double teaming on him or having Shinon attack first also works.

Or attacking him with Soren w/Blizzard from 10 spaces away... Sure Resolve activates, but there isn't much Levail can do to prevent himself from dying.

Anyway, can someone tell me how exactly mages were nerfed in RD? I played RD before PoR, and Soren seems to be better in RD than in PoR.

Or attacking him with Soren w/Blizzard from 10 spaces away... Sure Resolve activates, but there isn't much Levail can do to prevent himself from dying.

Anyway, can someone tell me how exactly mages were nerfed in RD? I played RD before PoR, and Soren seems to be better in RD than in PoR.

But didn't he double more for you in PoR? What mode were you on in RD and did Soren get paragon?

I think the reason most people say they were nerfed is their speed issues. For example, in HM warriors, halbs, and snipers have 20 speed really early in part 3 (sword masters obviously have more) and Soren's tier 2 speed cap is 23, which he doesn't reach on average until --/20 anyway, which would be much later. Similar stuff happens to all the mages. They actually doubled in PoR, or at least they had awesome speed caps and could easily be abused to double stuff. Either way, they at least had more potential to double in PoR, whatever the mode.

And then there's mages in games like FE 4

Edited by Narga_Rocks

All mages are good for is hitting res. They have poor speed compounded with poor durability which makes them glass cannons (less emphasis on the cannon part).

Right, I forgot that enemies in this game have more res, too. Just check how much res generals had in endgame in PoR, and compare that to what they have in this game as early as 3-1. And compare the general's speed stats.

But didn't he double more for you in PoR?

No, not really, he doubled enemies about the same in both games (although he does seem to activate Adept - which runs off speed - more often in PoR)

What mode were you on in RD and did Soren get paragon?

Easy, and no he didn't get Paragon (because Micaiah's team need it more).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

For my play through? Soren's a beast. Just about all his stats were maxed. Micaiah was practically RNG screwed for me. Her skill wasn't much and her speed was pitiful at around 21 near end game....

Edited by Blaze340

I said Soren! He was very good in PoR and still here. So what we had to level him up a bit so he will double but he is the only mage that comes with an Adept already on add in his pretty good Speed and Flare which can heal him he has always been great. Micaiah isn't bad but she needs Seraph Robes (Soren can use one but it isn't necessary) and much more BEXP then Soren also she reaches third tier so late while Soren will be in third tiere at least by Part 3 Endgame (If not earlier)

^ That person was likely playing Easy Mode (I don't think Soren even usually doubles on Normal). On Hard, Soren has to hope he's not getting doubled or he's dead.

And yes PoR Mages doubled quite frequently, Soren and Callil at least.

whutc.jpg

Difference between HM and EM. Simple as that. Maybe they were on NM but I never bothered raising him on NM (or HM) so I wouldn't know if he can on NM. Don't really remember the NM speeds of the enemies in part 3. The trouble with the question is that it doesn't specify the mode. Since soren is probably easier to raise than any other mage on EM, will actually double after a few levels (huge cexp in EM so it is quick, too), gets the +5 EM thing to his stats when his speed cap is about to hurt him and doesn't have a late promotion, it is understandable for anyone playing EM to call him the best mage.

HM it's Micaiah, plain and simple. NM, not sure.

Micaiah auto-wins because of availabilty at a time when she's deperately needed. She can go fuck herself at endgame though, where she's only good for healing.

Not counting Micaiah, it's a close battle between Ilyana and Soren. Ilyana has better availabilty and make a good contribution to Part 1. Soren however is your only mage for the early part 3 chapters. Since Archsages aren't too different at maxed levels, their SS rank weapons are important. Ilyana has the thunder SS tome, which is a lot more useful the wind SS tome.

Ahh I can't choose between them.

Try blessing Nosferatu and sticking her in front of red dragons while on a cover tile and watch her enemy phase. Then say she sucks at attacking in endgame. (And don't attack things during player phase that aren't injured enough for her to OHKO) A 20/20/1 Micaiah is invincible against reds while on a cover tile. She does just enough damage in 2 hits to recover all the damage they did, and will bring the reds down to ORKO for most of your group and OHKO for some. Obviously, as her level increases she'll do even more damage and more of your units will be able to OHKO on player phase. Even she will soon reach 3HKO (if she can't already) so she can OHKO one of the injured dragons nearby on player phase. (And if she coronas she can ORKO if she has enough magic, and even if she doesn't ORKO with corona it isn't like the dragon will be able to hit anything afterwards)

Edited by Narga_Rocks

^ That person was likely playing Easy Mode (I don't think Soren even usually doubles on Normal). On Hard, Soren has to hope he's not getting doubled or he's dead.

And yes PoR Mages doubled quite frequently, Soren and Callil at least.

I was talking about Normal Mode. Though maybe mine is blessed or something but he doubles with a few level ups.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for Ilyana. I think she's one of the most useful characters, since she switches team in the beginning of part 3, which gives her more play time. And I like her stats.