Best Gundam Series

My personal favorite is the 8th Mobile Suit Team because of the attempts at realism like the amount of damage the mechs take during battle, very high animation quality even by today's standards (In fact I would go so far as to say it has better animation/art design than seed, destiny, and 00), enjoyable characters without there being an overload of names to remember, and the skill level of all the pilots being much more balanced than in other gundam shows. Post any series and the reasons you like it.

I used to adore 08th MS Team, but I'll be damned if I can remember why. I should probably re-watch it sometime.

If you do, do not watch the retarded extra episode that takes place a few months after the Apsalus III goes down. It ruins the show.

My favorites are Gundam Wing, 08th MS Team, and 0083 Stardust Memory, in that order. I remember them fondly, though of the shows' contents I mostly remember little; it's ironic, really, because Gundam used to be my favorite anime series, and I watched as many of the series I could get my paws on. Now, I can barely remember the events of any of them. So I've been re-watching the series. I started with G Gundam, as my friend has the entire series on DVD, and it is just as cheesy and ridiculous as I remember it. Part of me rages every time I see some ridiculous incoherence, but most of me just fuzzily remembers watching it as a kid and finding it both funny and entertaining. When Domon and Asia had their greeting thing ("The school of the undefeated of the East! The winds of the King! Zenshin! Keiretsu! Tempakeorin! Look! The East is burning red!") I had a nostalgia-gasm. I am sure it will not be my last.

08th MS Team is as good as Gundam gets.

You should watch 0080.

Now that we all remember that 0080 is the indisputable best, we'll take a look at some good runner ups.

The Original Gundam. Even just watch the three movies to avoid monster of the week filler, great tense atomosphere and Amuro is still an insane pilot so if you kids can get past the 70's animation, you'll see how crazy his skills are (arguably much better than a lot of modern Gundam main characters), and despite Gundam being a very serious franchise, you'll see that many characters are still allowed to be quirky and interesting.

Zeta Gundam. Since Zeta Gundam doesn't have as much monster of the week filler, I do recommend watching the full series. Like pretty much most Tomino directed UC Gundam shows, this has great fight scenes with tact involved, and a Newtype main character that actually doesn't completely dominate without the help of others, and doesn't get upstaged by the previous main character (SEED Destiny fans, take note).

Char's Counter Attack, not as good as the above two plot-wise, but if you watched original Gundam and Zeta, might as well finish the series, right? And if you like the series enough, it wouldn't hurt to watch ZZ Gundam (I need to watch more ZZ myself, but I actually enjoy the comedic approach that's going on).

Victory Gundam. Pretty much Fire Emblem 5 of Universal Century. The plot is good, though hampered by unlikeable characters (now that I think about it, all of the best and most interesting characters are grunt antagonists, hmm...) and going a little trigger happy with character deaths, but this is made up for by creative fight scenes that force Uso to do something crazy creative to score an advantage over what are mostly superior opponents. An excellent show if you're sick of Wing or SEED style fight scenes that are mostly screens filled with explosions and things getting sliced in half.

08th MS Team. We've established that 0080 is the best, but that just means that 08th MS Team is still excellent. A lot of "realistic" approach to the show's battles, though plot wise it's very happy and optimistic, while 0080 captures the spirit of war better.

You should watch 0080.

Now that we all remember that 0080 is the indisputable best, we'll take a look at some good runner ups.

The Original Gundam. Even just watch the three movies to avoid monster of the week filler, great tense atomosphere and Amuro is still an insane pilot so if you kids can get past the 70's animation, you'll see how crazy his skills are (arguably much better than a lot of modern Gundam main characters), and despite Gundam being a very serious franchise, you'll see that many characters are still allowed to be quirky and interesting.

Zeta Gundam. Since Zeta Gundam doesn't have as much monster of the week filler, I do recommend watching the full series. Like pretty much most Tomino directed UC Gundam shows, this has great fight scenes with tact involved, and a Newtype main character that actually doesn't completely dominate without the help of others, and doesn't get upstaged by the previous main character (SEED Destiny fans, take note).

Char's Counter Attack, not as good as the above two plot-wise, but if you watched original Gundam and Zeta, might as well finish the series, right? And if you like the series enough, it wouldn't hurt to watch ZZ Gundam (I need to watch more ZZ myself, but I actually enjoy the comedic approach that's going on).

Victory Gundam. Pretty much Fire Emblem 5 of Universal Century. The plot is good, though hampered by unlikeable characters (now that I think about it, all of the best and most interesting characters are grunt antagonists, hmm...) and going a little trigger happy with character deaths, but this is made up for by creative fight scenes that force Uso to do something crazy creative to score an advantage over what are mostly superior opponents. An excellent show if you're sick of Wing or SEED style fight scenes that are mostly screens filled with explosions and things getting sliced in half.

08th MS Team. We've established that 0080 is the best, but that just means that 08th MS Team is still excellent. A lot of "realistic" approach to the show's battles, though plot wise it's very happy and optimistic, while 0080 captures the spirit of war better.

The original Gundam was good, but the animation is pretty horribly. You might as well watch the redrawn movie compilations, since they don't have an animation goof every 5 minutes.

Zeta was possibly the best Gundam ever, plotwise. However, in execution, there's better. The pacing here was absolute shit. Mind you, even with the shit pacing, the series is still on the high end of Gundam series.

Char's Counterattack actually is a toned down version of the actual Novel version (Beltorchika's Children), which was what Tomino actually wanted to do. Mind you, Tomino originally planned on having Axis pushed back by the power's of Amuro's unborn fetus. And no, I'm not joking.

Victory... Eh, I didn't care for Victory much as a whole. That said, Katejina Loos is the HOTTEST complete monster (Monstress?) I've ever seen. And the Death compilations are fun to watch.

Now then, if you want a great, GREAT Gundam series, I suggest Turn A Gundam. Awesome, (relatively) lighthearted story with some of the most unique... well, everything, in the series. And then there's Gundam X, which is pure win purely because of the epicness of Garrod Ran and the Gundam X. I mean, come on, the kid kicks Newtype ass on a regular basis, and he's a friggin' OLDTYPE!

On a side note, 00 was made in HD. It actually looks much better when watched on, say SyFy HD. The art STYLE, however, isn't as realistic looking as many older series. And SEEDestiny was basically the asshole of the Gundam universe.

• 3 weeks later...

Personal favorite is Gundam Wing.

Reason: Nostalgia factor. Used to come home from school, turned on the TV for Toonami and soon, I got to watch it.

Exactly same here. I even get more excited when I use them in Super Robot Series.

Without the nostalgia factor, most older Wing fans probably wouldn't even like the series. Beyond the ridculous amount of shit the Gundams could take, the ridiculously small amount the mook suits could take, the hours of stock footage that might actually overshadow SEED's, and Chang's obnoxious hypocrisy, the actual story is rather weak compared to most of the other series.

Without the nostalgia factor, most older Wing fans probably wouldn't even like the series. Beyond the ridculous amount of shit the Gundams could take, the ridiculously small amount the mook suits could take, the hours of stock footage that might actually overshadow SEED's, and Chang's obnoxious hypocrisy, the actual story is rather weak compared to most of the other series.

I can't argue with that, but I was young back then, and I was willing to watch pretty much anything that aired on TV. Of course, now that I'm older, I am able to distinguish between shows that suck and those that do not and if Wing came nowadays rather than back then, I probably wouldn't watch. I still like it though. But yeah, I see what you're saying.

Also, tbh, that was the only gundam I saw in my life. Well, there were few others that came like 08th MS Team and the one that came right after Wing ended, but only few episodes. I'm thinking about watching another Gundam but I don't really know which one. I'm thinking about either SEED or 00 since they were the most recent ones.

Edited by 21_21

The original Gundam was good, but the animation is pretty horribly. You might as well watch the redrawn movie compilations, since they don't have an animation goof every 5 minutes.
I did suggest the movies in my post.
Zeta was possibly the best Gundam ever, plotwise. However, in execution, there's better. The pacing here was absolute shit. Mind you, even with the shit pacing, the series is still on the high end of Gundam series.

How was the pacing bad?
Char's Counterattack actually is a toned down version of the actual Novel version (Beltorchika's Children), which was what Tomino actually wanted to do. Mind you, Tomino originally planned on having Axis pushed back by the power's of Amuro's unborn fetus. And no, I'm not joking.
I am aware, but CCA is actually animated and BC is not, therefore CCA is what most people are going to watch.

I can't argue with that, but I was young back then, and I was willing to watch pretty much anything that aired on TV. Of course, now that I'm older, I am able to distinguish between shows that suck and those that do not and if Wing came nowadays rather than back then, I probably wouldn't watch. I still like it though. But yeah, I see what you're saying.

Also, tbh, that was the only gundam I saw in my life. Well, there were few others that came like 08th MS Team and the one that came right after Wing ended, but only few episodes. I'm thinking about watching another Gundam but I don't really know which one. I'm thinking about either SEED or 00 since they were the most recent ones.

Skip SEED. The original was mediocre, and the sequel is quite possibly the worst ANIME of all time. It's that bad.

I did suggest the movies in my post.

How was the pacing bad?
I am aware, but CCA is actually animated and BC is not, therefore CCA is what most people are going to watch.

Zeta would go from sssllllooooowwww pacing to superfastpacing within a span of a couple episodes. Mind you, Zeta is still epically awesome, but it does have some pacing whiplash.

As for CCA and BC... Well, yeah. Most people also won't read the original Gundam novels, Hathaway's Flash, Gaia Gear, or For The Barrel. It's a shame, because (At least the last three) are supposed to be really good...

Skip SEED. The original was mediocre, and the sequel is quite possibly the worst ANIME of all time. It's that bad.

I'm still a newb at Gundam and I'm still catching up with the original movies. But DAYUM, where' Bright when you need him in SEED? Someone had to slap some sense into those kids.

I'm a gundam newbie mostly, because when I was a kid, I tried watching Wing, but I couldn't get into it because I didn't watch from the beginning and couldn't understand the plot when I jumped into the middle. The only other Series I've watched were SEED and SEED Destiny. I liked the Original SEED, I think the plot was pretty good, even if some other aspects were ridiculous. People may argue with me about the plot though. As for SEED Destiny, the only reason I watched it, was because it continued SEED, and really, I think it ruined SEED for me... I should not have watched it. :[

I would like the watch the original series, but I'm not sure I can get past the shit animation... Part of me says "What the fuck dude, you used to watch american cartoons made in the 60s, don't worry about it" but the other part of me says "Uh dude, that animation is SOOOOO OLD"

I would like the watch the original series, but I'm not sure I can get past the shit animation... Part of me says "What the fuck dude, you used to watch american cartoons made in the 60s, don't worry about it" but the other part of me says "Uh dude, that animation is SOOOOO OLD"
The animation is much less flawed in the three movies. It's still 70's animation, obviously, but it seemed like they chose the best animated scenes.

Then again I didn't see the first Gundam movie because I watched the first dozen episodes like 3 times now.

Edited by Rody

I'm a gundam newbie mostly, because when I was a kid, I tried watching Wing, but I couldn't get into it because I didn't watch from the beginning and couldn't understand the plot when I jumped into the middle. The only other Series I've watched were SEED and SEED Destiny. I liked the Original SEED, I think the plot was pretty good, even if some other aspects were ridiculous. People may argue with me about the plot though. As for SEED Destiny, the only reason I watched it, was because it continued SEED, and really, I think it ruined SEED for me... I should not have watched it. :[

Haha, even those who liked SEED very much hated Destiny as well. I guess this pretty much confirms how bad it really is. Giorno, I'll take thy advice for sure.

Also to Jyosua: Just because an anime wasn't recent, it doesn't mean it won't be enjoyable. Just look at Yuyu Hakusho. All it takes is the right old anime, and you can easily enjoy it until you're done with it. That's how I got hooked into Yuyu Hakusho and Cowboy Bebop.

Edited by 21_21

I'm still a newb at Gundam and I'm still catching up with the original movies. But DAYUM, where' Bright when you need him in SEED? Someone had to slap some sense into those kids.

Bright had his hands full with the first three druggies. And when they failed to shape up, he decided that no one in the CE era was worth the effort.

Ironically, Setsuna F Seiei out-Godmodes Kira Yamato in 00, and never gives in to the angsty side. NOT. ONCE. Take THAT, Amuro "Ribbons Almark" Rei!

Gundam 079 is good,old but good.(it have the best maskman in gundam history)

Zeta is awesome,plotwise,really likeable character, good death scenes (Four the best crazygirl)

Double Zeta is alright,thanks to Puru's cuteness (the best loli in gundam history)

Vicotry is good, yeah, strange character's type, a lot of creative in many way (it have the best haro in history)

War in the pocket didnt make me cry but it took me a lot of feeling and everything is fine...

Team 08th is really good,at last,somebody was able to show how good a well-work team is and how awesome an ugly-looking pilot can be.

Stardust rocks,really really amazing character's emotion and Gato is just epic, he is among the best villains for his chivalry (later villains in Seed, 00, X, turn A just fail so hard)

CCA is really good, Char kicks ass both Kira and Athrun(one who expert at range fight and one who expert at melee fight? Let Char teachs you what is a real ace pilot). Anyway, why did Astronage have to die???

G, actually,I have just finished it's first ep (well...)

Turn A, it lacks of something but it also have alot of thing that the other series lack. (Turn A is the strongest gundam forever, no contest or debate)

X is a lightheart series, but it's lack of character development and well,not as really good art and animation as i hoped and the ending is rather...meh.

Wing, a new storyplot but it's unlogical(even for an anime)killed it. Doraemon's bamboo helicopter? LOL, thanks god that the storyplot is not bad at all and Treize is freaking cool and mysterious(Best killcount in history is done by a peacefull boy, way to go Gundam W!!!!!!)

Seed...I dont want to talk about it.

Seed Des, Stellar...why...T_____________T

00 nothing new but plot twisted sucks(thansk god, it's still okay to watch)

31b9fd35314f4582e4b94359d969b7bd.jpg

Also to Jyosua: Just because an anime wasn't recent, it doesn't mean it won't be enjoyable. Just look at Yuyu Hakusho. All it takes is the right old anime, and you can easily enjoy it until you're done with it. That's how I got hooked into Yuyu Hakusho and Cowboy Bebop.

No, I agree, but the thing is, YuYu Hakusho was made in 1992. The animation is pretty good, at least for it's time. But the slipups I've seen in the original Gundam, and the fact it's from the 70's... 30 years is a lot more than 10 or 20.

I don't understand all this unnatural hate for SEED and Destiny. Granted, I've only watched about three episodes of Destiny, but SEED was mostly commendable. It carried a few problems, but in general it worked fine as an anime series and, perhaps more importantly, as a Gundam series.

I don't understand all this unnatural hate for SEED and Destiny. Granted, I've only watched about three episodes of Destiny, but SEED was mostly commendable. It carried a few problems, but in general it worked fine as an anime series and, perhaps more importantly, as a Gundam series.

No no no, I dont really hate SEED, I just hate Kira and his stupid empty worthless ideal about war and peace, it smells like dead rat. Not to mention, I just dont understand why people (most of them are SEED's fan) hate Flay so much like that, damn, I just feel pity for her...

No, I agree, but the thing is, YuYu Hakusho was made in 1992. The animation is pretty good, at least for it's time. But the slipups I've seen in the original Gundam, and the fact it's from the 70's... 30 years is a lot more than 10 or 20.

Then watch Zeta and Char's Counterattack. The animation is MUCH better.

As for SEED, the best thing about the series was Fllay. She was the ONLY character with a well developed, rounded character, and what did she get for it? Fan hate and the Director killing her off because of it. I think it was probably the Yaoi fangirls who wanted her to die for their Kira/Athrun ship, but...

00 was actually a well-written series. My only problem was that it started turning into Macross by the end of S2. It's still forgivable, though, because the rest of the story was rather original (It's like taking Macross, Gundam Wing, and Zeta Gundam, mashing them together, then stripping the bad parts of each.) If we really get aliens in the movie, though, I damn well better hear someone shout "LISTEN TO MY SONG!" or I'm turning it off.

As for villains... Gato? The best? Are you KIDDING ME!? Gato is an automatic failure for losing to KOU, of all people. KOU FUCKING URAKI. If you lose to that, and when the guy's been fighting for HOURS ON END to begin with, AND you have the superior suit, you don't deserve to live. At least Gym and the Frost brothers were actual threats, and Muerta Azreal and Ali Al Saachez were genuine complete monsters. And Fucking Ribbons had one of the most impressive Xanatos Gambits I've ever seen, especially since he used it to basically skullfuck Aeolia Schenberg and Celestial Being...

Also, for the record, no one has mentioned F91. I wonder why.

Edited by Giorno Giovanna