Isn't it kind of funny how much stronger the bosses are in this game than their lackeys?

FionordeQuester

Seriously, I was playing Chapter 27 on Eliwood Hard Mode, and I was just cruisin and working on my Support Library as my Oswin just steamrolled all of the enemies in his path with little difficulty, and when I got to Lloyd, I was expecting an easy battle...then I looked at how the battle would play out when I decided to fight Lloyd...

I was stunned speechless when I saw that Lloyd seemed capable of dodging every single attack thrown at him, could double every person on my team, could kill every single one of them at only three hit at the most, even Oswin, had HP in the high fifties, had pretty good defense, and worst of all, had a very high chance of just regenerating whatever DID manage to hit him while dodging every thing else. All that on top of a pretty high critical hit rating that would allow him to instantly kill every person on my team.

I was afraid that I wouldn't even be able to beat him. I did, but only because the RNG decided that it loved me and allowed all of my attacks to land, even though none of the hit rates even exceeded 60....I think Tibarn summed up my feelings pretty well when he spoke of the BK in PoR...

"He was so much stronger than the others, it was as though a wolf had appeared in a den of blind, mewling pups"

Dunno if that's the exact quote, but I think it's pretty close.

CrtEvd Supports. :awesome:

Lloyd is among the strongest bosses in the game, that's true, but that means nothing. A moderately fast, supported character still beats the crap out of any FE7 boss I can think of.

had a very high chance of just regenerating whatever DID manage to hit him while dodging every thing else.

How? He doesn't have a Runesword or anything.

had a very high chance of just regenerating whatever DID manage to hit him while dodging every thing else.

How? He doesn't have a Runesword or anything.

I'm assuming he is referring to the small HP regeneration bonus a throne gives.

What do you expect? An army of units as strong as Lloyd? I remember in my first playthrough ever, Eliwood was like level 5 and I was at chapter 25 but he still could've killed the generic enemies around (who were like level 15-19).

At least there aren't a lot of strong berserker bosses that you actually need to fight in this game.

Edited by DragonBladeSniper

You could always use Serra/Priscilla/Lucius to break his light brand (it attacks Res if you didn't know).

From 2-range, yeah. Adjacent enemies will have to rely on defense.

Incorrect. The Light Brand always targets Res, but it uses Str/2 from 2 range. At 1 range, they will have to survive full Str added to the damage, which may seem like Def is being attacked.

Edited by Meteor

Incorrect. The Light Brand always targets Res, but it uses Str/2 from 2 range. At 1 range, they will have to survive full Str added to the damage, which may seem like Def is being attacked.

No, Raven is right. The Light Brand does target DEF at close range.

No, Raven is right. The Light Brand does target DEF at close range.

Actually, at close range, it targets whatever stat of the target is lower. If you check with a physical unit, the light brand will likely target its RES. If you check with a magical unit, the light brand is pretty much guaranteed to target DEF. On ranged attacks, it's always RES that is targeted however.

Actually, at close range, it targets whatever stat of the target is lower.

I don't seem to recall so. When I cast Barrier on Harken, it reduces his damage by a full 7 points, even when his resistance exceeds his defense.

By the way, this is an extremely efficient way to beat Lloyd (Harken needs like 1 more spd to not get doubled as well). You could also try using Ninis's Grace.

Um just so you guys know, I wasn't surprised by the fact that Lloyd was stronger than his lackeys, I was surprised that he was actually so far beyond his lackeys, that he could actually take on someone who could solo the whole map while taking very little damage in the process, and instantly murder him without even breaking a sweat >_<

It's like for all of the map up until Lloyd, I'm fighting little clones of Princess Dye, then I get to Lloyd, and all of a sudden, I'm fighting Super Man. You know what I mean?

Edited by FionordeQuester

Actually, at close range, it targets whatever stat of the target is lower.

I don't seem to recall so. When I cast Barrier on Harken, it reduces his damage by a full 7 points, even when his resistance exceeds his defense.

It may be the case that boni caused by holy water or barrier staves do not affect this, and the light brand instead just targets whatever stat normally is lower.

I wonder if IS attempted to reduce Lloy' difficulty or increase it when they changed his Runesword into a Lightbrand in the american and european versions. If he had a Runesword, he would at last be unable to critical and the sowrd would slow him down by 2 points. And it would run out faster.

Well, my situation when I meet this guy the first time was pretty much the same one, he pretty much owned my entire team and I just got really lucky to beat him in the end. Something you could do is to talk to him with Nino. After this happens he will leave the throne and will charge at you. Sounds bad at first, but if he does so, he will loose the 2 defense and the 20 avoid from the throne as well as the health regeneration. Also the A.I. usally prefears ranged attacks (well, they prefear not to get countered on their turn, if everyone in their range is equipped with a melee weapon, he will probably attack at range), and the Lightbrand isn't powerful at range and it looses his critical chance so you might not even loose a unit if he comes at you.

Edited by BrightBow-User

I'm gonna go ahead and trust the site on this one, Raymond:

Targets Res, does light magic damage at range

If LLOYD could double most members on you're team then you you either

suck at this game or you been RNG screwed.

Not really. He has 23 Spd in HHM, so prolly around 21 in NM. Someone with average Spd like Sain only averages 18 Spd around 20/10 or 20/11. Pent needs a point of Spd to stop getting doubled in NM, and he needs 3 in HHM. Eliwood only has 18 Spd at 20/7 or so, and doesn't manage 20 until 20/12 or 20/13. Geitz is literally fucked as he doesn't average 18 Spd until --/15 or --/16 (and if he gets HHM bonuses, then so does Lloyd).

Unless you're a naturally fast unit like Rebecca, Guy, Florina, Erk, etc., you have a large chance of Lloyd doubling you. And if you're somewhat slow like Lowen or Oswin, you're in trouble.

I'm gonna go ahead and trust the site on this one, Raymond:

Targets Res, does light magic damage at range

Well, I guess I was mistaking something there then. Never mind.

Hawkeye with a swordreaver 2RKOes him safely. If you have a well trained team, he shouldn't be much of a problem. I do agree there is a massive discrepancy between generics and bosses, though. Not just this FE, either.

I think the discrepancy isn't as great in 9/10 as in the GBA FEs, the ones in 9 and 10 are usually only moderately stronger than generics. I usually find that the more importaant a boss is to the story, the harder they are to take down.