Valkyria Chronicles

Jyosua

I just got a PS3, and got this game for it. I just spent like, 2 hours on chapter 7. That level is complete bullshit. However I made it to chapter 8, without anyone dying still... Does anyone else have this game or play it?

It is a very good game, the best thing Sega's come up with since Skies of Arcadia in my opinion. (funny considering the SoA cameos) I agree though that Chapter 7 is absolute bullshit. The amount of meticulous planning and unit placement was absurd. Only after beating it did I discover that grenades will take out the vents in one hit...

The sequel's also been announced, but it's for the PSP and basically involves a bunch of teenagers from an academy saving the country from civil war, and lord knows how plotlines like that turn out.

Edited by Zephrion

I'm playing this game currently. ;D Love it so far. I'm on chapter 16 right now. Chapter 7? Lol, hated that one too. Somehow managed to finish it without anyone permanently dying.

Edited by Wayward Knight

I have this game and look forward to playing it. I'm too lazy to buy a PS3 at the moment though (I still haven't gotten round to buying a Wii to play FE10 and some other games).

you don't have a wii? how did you play FE10 then?

I haven't played FE10 yet. If you're wondering how I gathered information on it, I got it from a mixture of hacking and asking other people (or from watching videos).

wha--?? i thought you would've played it 15x by now at least. why haven't you?

I'm lazy. That and by the time the game was released here, I already knew everything about the game. Except how it plays.

In any case, if you've got any other questions you can just PM me. I'd rather not derail this thread any more than necessary ^^;;;

It is a very good game, the best thing Sega's come up with since Skies of Arcadia in my opinion. (funny considering the SoA cameos) I agree though that Chapter 7 is absolute bullshit. The amount of meticulous planning and unit placement was absurd. Only after beating it did I discover that grenades will take out the vents in one hit...

The sequel's also been announced, but it's for the PSP and basically involves a bunch of teenagers from an academy saving the country from civil war, and lord knows how plotlines like that turn out.

I got past Chapter 7 by Bringing 4 Lancers, but keeping them in trenches until I used the tank to take out all the machine guns on the Big Ass Tank. My first move consisted of using Vyse to take out all the enemy ground units so they don't cause trouble, taking out the front machine gun, and parking my tank in front of the big tank so it couldn't move. Then on my next turn I fixed it with my engineer. I also took one of my Lancers and knocked over all the ruins preventing the Big Tank from going straight through. When the reinforcements arrived, I retreated everyone but two lancers. They were hidden in the trench that's the southmost on the map, so that they could sneak up and take out the right radiator (Which I luckily saved for last, and left it with 1 hit remaining beforehand). Then I just had them and the tank fire away at the Big Ass Tank when it could be damaged. If I hadn't have gotten that Retreat Order from the guy at the graveyard, I'd have been screwed. I also discovered you can call for the medic by reaching a downed unit with your tank.

I got past Chapter 7 by Bringing 4 Lancers, but keeping them in trenches until I used the tank to take out all the machine guns on the Big Ass Tank. My first move consisted of using Vyse to take out all the enemy ground units so they don't cause trouble, taking out the front machine gun, and parking my tank in front of the big tank so it couldn't move. Then on my next turn I fixed it with my engineer. I also took one of my Lancers and knocked over all the ruins preventing the Big Tank from going straight through. When the reinforcements arrived, I retreated everyone but two lancers. They were hidden in the trench that's the southmost on the map, so that they could sneak up and take out the right radiator (Which I luckily saved for last, and left it with 1 hit remaining beforehand). Then I just had them and the tank fire away at the Big Ass Tank when it could be damaged. If I hadn't have gotten that Retreat Order from the guy at the graveyard, I'd have been screwed. I also discovered you can call for the medic by reaching a downed unit with your tank.

That seems like a sound strategy. I didn't have the luxury of Retreat so it was that much more frustrating. I used Lancers to attack the guns coupled with extreme Save/Load abuse because Lancers cannot shoot where you tell them to to save their lives. I made sure to keep Dallas nearby to restock and repair. My first runthrough I didn't knock down enough of the pillars so I was already doomed. The second time I made sure to knock them all over so as to get to the vents as soon as possible. Then, however, I made the terrible mistake of leaving the left vent for last, which is exactly where you know who decided to park. I finally got to it by using the Edelweiss as a distraction (because its armor is apparently laser-proof?) and having a Lancer sneak up behind her and climb the ladder. By this point I felt immensely proud of myself, and was jumping for joy that I had overcome so much hardship to attain victory. Then of course I got the order to actually /destroy/ the damn thing. I felt like bursting into tears because all my Lancers except Nils were incapacitated, and the tank was one turn away from flattening the last base. Thankfully I learned from my foolishness and managed to beat it on the next try. I did discover that tanks make great cover though...

That seems like a sound strategy. I didn't have the luxury of Retreat so it was that much more frustrating. I used Lancers to attack the guns coupled with extreme Save/Load abuse because Lancers cannot shoot where you tell them to to save their lives. I made sure to keep Dallas nearby to restock and repair. My first runthrough I didn't knock down enough of the pillars so I was already doomed. The second time I made sure to knock them all over so as to get to the vents as soon as possible. Then, however, I made the terrible mistake of leaving the left vent for last, which is exactly where you know who decided to park. I finally got to it by using the Edelweiss as a distraction (because its armor is apparently laser-proof?) and having a Lancer sneak up behind her and climb the ladder. By this point I felt immensely proud of myself, and was jumping for joy that I had overcome so much hardship to attain victory. Then of course I got the order to actually /destroy/ the damn thing. I felt like bursting into tears because all my Lancers except Nils were incapacitated, and the tank was one turn away from flattening the last base. Thankfully I learned from my foolishness and managed to beat it on the next try. I did discover that tanks make great cover though...

I had been using my tank as cover throughout the entire game, from the beginning. I noticed how little damage it takes, so I started using it as a shield when I want to press forward and bring footsoldiers into hard to reach areas. I do agree though, having the Retreat order is a luxury. I am so glad I got lucky enough to get it. I was pretty sad when it gave the order to destroy it as well, but I was able to do that before the turn finished, but just barely. Also, the fact that the tank is invulnerable to that laser is kind of strange, but awesome at the same time.

Someone else has this game heh. I'm on a break from it right now I'm on chapter 13 main story, chapter 2 DLC, and still yet to play the Edy detachment mission. Oh but fun game none the less, I got all elite units just in time to get Zaka on the team. On play-through #2 so I wanna get everyone's final potentials (even the bad units)

I was unaware how to get A ranks before chapter 8, but since then I've been A ranking every map I beat, and the amount of exp and money given is ridiculous. I have like 100k in spare money. I'm on chapter 14 now.

Oh yeah it's just getting better and better eh? The DLC is not that bad. It's a nice change though with Silveria's DLC it's more of a headache due to the lack of BA units other then Silveria (Her weapon is beastly)

*is Let's Playing this game on YouTube*

I love this game. It's absolutely fantastic and I'm so glad that my friend introduced me to this game. Well worth the time to play should you have a PS3.

I bought a PS3 for 3 reasons: Disgaea 3, Blu-Ray, and this game.