NONONONONO!!!! POOP YOU OBAMA!!!

Freohr Datia

Like it's been said, I think it's more the teachers than the time.

I mean, the education I experienced was a bunch of teachers wo went to the local college of which was a "teaching school". By "teaching school", I mean where burnout college students go to party, then get a teaching degree because it's apparently the easiest degree in the world to get. Do you know how embaressing it is to teach the subject to the teacher who is supposed to be teaching the subject? It was lazy, basically I was taught the same thing over and over for most of the years of schooling, because the teachers themselves didn't know more than that. You know a teacher sucks when teaching history, the best they can muster up for the entire year is the colonization of America-the end of the civil war.

I can count on one hand the number of teachers who actually challenged me, and what's worst is that I'm probably average at best after the fact. I could honestly say you could probably learn more just going to the library and reading subjects over yourself.

Makes me wonder at times if the punks who diagnosed me with autism weren't just pulling that out of their ass. Or it's high functioning...Whatever, these teachers sucked. I'd prefer more motivated teachers, though the students themselves should be encouraged to do better too. More time I feel doesn't really help motivate either. Then again, you can't just make a rewards program over it either.

Eh, whatever. Obviously I'm not an expert on it, so I'm not gonna be forming up a solution on it any time soon. Not a good one that works at least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Restating what's been said, but I can't see how spending more time is going to help if the students are unwilling to learn and/or the teachers are incompetent and don't know the material well enough themselves to teach it.

Edited by Paperblade

• 2 weeks later...

Lol@the title.

Anyway, I'm english, so I have no clue if this applies to all you people in America, but those who I see struggling in my class just generally don't want to learn/don't make an effort. I've seen people get bad grades in their coursework with good teachers and it mostly just comes down to attitude. Sometimes, the task was too difficult for them, which was when it probably was the teacher's fault. But overall, I'd say that, if America's anything like England, increasing the time in school would just make it worse for people as their attitudes would change.

Those that did focus on school time enough would just get bored and tired. They'd focus less and futher through the day they might learn less than what they did before. On the other hand, those that couldn't be bothered to focus and put in actual effort would just be doing so for longer, and still won't learn enougth. It'll also add more mental stress to the teachers. Most just wouldn't benefit from it IMO.

Of course, there are those that do put in effort and struggle, but why should the other students suffer just for their benefit when there are probably easier solutions. For example, if the government/some private group were to set up a school at the weekends/evenings to give those students more time to study the aspects where they struggle, then not only do we save the stress of added school time to teachers/most students, but give those who struggle even with effort the extra bit of time they need to catch up and get the grades they deserve.

Of course, if teachers in America really are that bad, then I've just wasted 10 minutes of my life typing this out.

The title of this topic really does a good job of highlighting part of the problem.

So... purposefully being wrong means I don't know nuthin'? (yes I know the grammar and spelling within that senctence is not completely correct I'm not in school or anything else serious right now, am I?)

Well to those people who keep nagging at bugging me about my spelling or grammar, I'm sorry. That's how I am. All of that is on purpose. I'm sure my grammar is not 100% perfect if I tried to speak perfectly, 'cause I'm a junior in high school, I'm not finished in school yet =D But purposely messing up on things... idk I guess it shows my character. I guess I prefer being odd. And this is the second time I've gotten this comment and have already explained this earlier in this topic, so howz about I make this spot easily identifiable, recognizable and pretty? Read this paragraph carefully, pretty pretty please.

So, to repeat myself again, I'm sorry if you get annoyed about this stuff. I guess I could try not... misspell or purposefully use crappy grammar as often if that makes you feel better. idk about trying to never do it at all, that's asking too much XD

Crpaaiisfdpsppsafudsghjgjdhg.

:'D

More shcool is more stress though which equals lower test scores and grades. Not a smart idea.

blahblahblah right back atchya =D

And what if some students tried being more rebellious more often? =o I know a few people who are sick enough of how school is right now. More people could skip school and that doesn't help them learn at all. That is their problem and if they want to succeed they could easily try to do better, but that doesn't mean that they care about that fact.

The title of this topic really does a good job of highlighting part of the problem.

POOP YOU

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuh :D

Edited by Freohr Datia

So... purposefully being wrong means I don't know nuthin'? (yes I know the grammar and spelling within that senctence is not completely correct I'm not in school or anything else serious right now, am I?)

Well to those people who keep nagging at bugging me about my spelling or grammar, I'm sorry. That's how I am. All of that is on purpose. I'm sure my grammar is not 100% perfect if I tried to speak perfectly, 'cause I'm a junior in high school, I'm not finished in school yet =D But purposely messing up on things... idk I guess it shows my character. I guess I prefer being odd. And this is the second time I've gotten this comment and have already explained this earlier in this topic, so howz about I make this spot easily identifiable, recognizable and pretty? Read this paragraph carefully, pretty pretty please.

So, to repeat myself again, I'm sorry if you get annoyed about this stuff. I guess I could try not... misspell or purposefully use crappy grammar as often if that makes you feel better. idk about trying to never do it at all, that's asking too much XD

Freohr Datia is walking down a forest path, when suddenly a Dire Porcupine leaps out in front of her! The Porcupine leaps to attack, and Freohr Datia notices that there is some sort of magical device attached to the point of one of the Porcupine's quills! Taking a step backwards, Freohr Datia pulls out her longbow and smoothly launches an arrow at the device!

Natural 1!

Freohr Datia fumbles her aim at the last second and misses the point!

Edited by Fia 

Aw, stupid aim =/

lol what did I do wrong? My guess is it's within the last paragraph in the quote XD

Maybe they should give me more time in school to work on aiming better =o

Students are human beings, not dogs!

You can't teach a student to be smarter by spending extra time doing the same damn thing like you can with dogs.

They're human beings, with human nature. The answer to this is taking advantage of human nature.

You can lead a horse to water, but that's not the goal is it? You want the horse to drink, not stand there looking at you :blink:

So how do you get a horse kid to drink to want to learn? Well, the same way you get sex from a prostitute really, you give the woman what she wants. All of your paycheck.

A. Find out what the little tikes work the hardest to get in life, and then attach it as the reward for being extremely knowledgeable in certain areas. Do this with every subject.

Over the top Examples:

Show us you know math, and we'll give you you're own Predator UAV to spy on people with.

Show us you know Literature, and we'll let you write the next Transformers movie :awesome:

Show us you know Science, and we'll send you into space.

Show us you know Grammar, and we won't let Al Sharpton's lackeys sue you for using the N Word.

Show us you know Biology, and we'll give you a real live comodo dragon.

Show us you know Psychology, and we'll give you a hypnotizing wheel that actually f*cking works!

Now these are just bad examples, but if someone sees something they want, it's not always about the challenge in the way, it's about the thing they want. Find what they want the most, and put school in front of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so happy I'm going to an independant private school, so I'm not affected by this.

Oh yeah,a kid in my grade is doing a chapel talk on this(a 9 minute research paper/speech that is presented to the entire middle school) and his research has shown that a Cleveland public school scored 10x lower on a test than a control asian school(unsurprising) however when a local private school called University school took the test the scored much higher than the asian kids.

That basically proves Quality>quantity.

(HAHA i don't have extended school :P )

( I already gave my chapel talk, it was about rying to prove that psychihc abilities exist.)

Well, I didn't read the link, but from what I gather, he wants to increase school time? I personally do not think this will help any issues. As someone before me said, increasing the quality would be far more effective then tacking time on.

I'll tell you, I hated school when I was in it. Everything was too redundant, you learned one subject, then you would stay on the same subject far longer then it needed to be (In my opinion), prolonging the time would only worsen it. I often times fell asleep in class from being bored.

You already get homework, I don't see the point of keeping kids in school longer then it is now (Also keep in mind, for the kids that actually want to, most schools I know have after-school classes).

Where I live, school is 6 hours (At least when I was in it). It may of been longer (But I think that's just because it felt like forever). It was 9AM-3PM, if the kids wanted to actually learn more, they stayed after school which lasted I believe 2 hours. I still think this is a good system, keeping kids who don't want to be in school longer then they are is just a waste of time and money...

1: They often don't listen to what the teacher says anyway (I know that once I learned the subject, I didn't bother listening to anything after that, since it was just saying the same shit over and over again).

2: It wastes the teachers time. During the after-school classes, you only needed about 1/3 - 1/2 the teachers because a large portion of the kids left the school.

3: If teachers are forced to work longer, they will most likely demand compensation for it, increasing the money the state spends on education.

Throwing more money at a problem does not mean the problem will be fixed. Keep in mind, this is kind of a worse case scenario I presented, but I still stand by saying it will have more of a negative impact then a positive one.

Don't want to make minimum wage? Graduate.

I think they already did that one.

GED's.

But yeah. Without a High School Diploma or a GED, you're gonna be flipping burgers at McDonalds.

Not even that if things don't go well in a decade.

Throwing more money at a problem does not mean the problem will be fixed. Keep in mind, this is kind of a worse case scenario I presented, but I still stand by saying it will have more of a negative impact then a positive one.

They don't even spend enough on us now. I'd like for them to spend more on schools (with higher test scores at the very least).

Lol@the title.

Anyway, I'm english, so I have no clue if this applies to all you people in America, but those who I see struggling in my class just generally don't want to learn/don't make an effort. I've seen people get bad grades in their coursework with good teachers and it mostly just comes down to attitude. Sometimes, the task was too difficult for them, which was when it probably was the teacher's fault. But overall, I'd say that, if America's anything like England, increasing the time in school would just make it worse for people as their attitudes would change.

Those that did focus on school time enough would just get bored and tired. They'd focus less and futher through the day they might learn less than what they did before. On the other hand, those that couldn't be bothered to focus and put in actual effort would just be doing so for longer, and still won't learn enougth. It'll also add more mental stress to the teachers. Most just wouldn't benefit from it IMO.

Of course, there are those that do put in effort and struggle, but why should the other students suffer just for their benefit when there are probably easier solutions. For example, if the government/some private group were to set up a school at the weekends/evenings to give those students more time to study the aspects where they struggle, then not only do we save the stress of added school time to teachers/most students, but give those who struggle even with effort the extra bit of time they need to catch up and get the grades they deserve.

Of course, if teachers in America really are that bad, then I've just wasted 10 minutes of my life typing this out.

You know, I was going to say something along these lines. However, good sir Kirsche has phrased it infinitely better then I would be able to. Other then that I live in Wales.

The only 'problem' I've seen is that most of the students who reside in my class aren't really motivated to do their work and all it has done is slow down the education of the student's who want to learn; my solution would be to remove the students who aren't focused from the "higher tier" classes and put them down in "mixed ability" where their... "talent" could be put to better use. I'd rather have a dozen motivated students who aren't too bright, then a hundred teenage clones of Mycroft Holmes. Not that I'd want to imply that the lazy students are brilliant; I put the fact that some of have been in the "higher tier" for as long as they have down to a fluke that never ended.

[Also; "higher tier" and "mixed ability" would be the terms my school uses. "Higher tier" is what it says on the tin and "mixed ability" is a more thorough mixture of smart students who don't qualify for "higher tier" and the other students in the school.]

Edited by Allan's Aokage