Aargh! I wanted to be the first across!

Hero

64e35j.png

A lot of real-life bridge aficionados would disagree with this guy. According the them, all of the fanfare and media attention at an opening makes reliable information hard to find and gets in the way of real appreciation.

I agree. Like wine, a truly good bridge will only get better with time, as its durability is proven time and again and the elements flavor its aesthetic appeal. A great, well-aged bridge will look bold, but natural, whether it's a 16th-century Palladian arch bridge or a modern cable-stayed giant. The Golden Gate Bridge embodies this ideal's perfection.

Are any of you guys out there bridge fans?

Edited by The Original Thunk

oh man i love bridges they give me a massive erection

Have you seen pictures of the JK bridge in Brasilia? No one believed the design would maintain its structural integrity for long on such a large scale back in 2000, but it's still going strong. It's a fascinating design, more than comparable to any of Baloch's work.

jk_bridge_02.jpg

I really hope your joking.

Bridge appreciation is no joke. Go to any engineering school, you'll find bridge models and commemorative postcards everywhere!

Bridge appreciation is no joke. Go to any engineering school, you'll find bridge models and commemorative postcards everywhere!

Not about that I think bridges are pretty cool. What I meant was I hope Fia was joking when he said

because thats kind of weird if he was being serious.

Have you seen pictures of the JK bridge in Brasilia? No one believed the design would maintain its structural integrity for long on such a large scale back in 2000, but it's still going strong. It's a fascinating design, more than comparable to any of Baloch's work.

jk_bridge_02.jpg

That's one attractive bridge there. I don't know if I've ever seen anything quite like it...

This man is correct.

15dkn42.png

Man, just look at that bridge. Look at the subtle curvature in that arch, and how it gracefully supports the weight of the central platform.

You've gotta say this about Baloch's architectural designs:

2rmv6lv.png

Me too, me too.

(Might as well share a bridge picture.) Tsing Ma bridge in Hong Kong (Connects from the Airport to Tsuen Wan and also don't feel like stretching the page)

(Day time)

pic04.jpg

(Night Time)

worldbridge06-tsing-ma-bridge-hong-.jpg

jk_bridge_02.jpg

wow, thats a cool bridge.

• 3 weeks later...

eve14k.jpg

This one is very simple, but serves its purpose well, with every stone radiating strength and perhaps a quaint elegance. You can imagine tragic suicides jumping from it even as wide-eyed children and tourists see the floating castle beyond it for the first time.

I do appreciate a good bridge. One of my secret admirations, although not so secret now I guess.

Bridge appreciation is no joke.

Seriously! also the Grand Daddy of all Bridges says Hi.

972005golden_gate_bridge-s.jpg

<3

I swear I flew into that bridge way back on Air Combat for the PS1, and took a flaming nosedive into the sea. It looked exactly like that, anyway.

I swear I flew into that bridge way back on Air Combat for the PS1, and took a flaming nosedive into the sea. It looked exactly like that, anyway.

It's definitely a famous bridge, immortalized in the opening movie of Red Alert 2, as well as countless maps, tourists' guides and elementary school textbooks.

It's a great bridge, not too useful to me living in the East Bay but at least it can be relied upon to stay open.

Which Dragon Quest game is that?

Dragon Warrior 7. It was made and localized back when Enix was an independent company, so it's a Warrior rather than a Quest.

You should check the game out if you haven't before. The graphics are hideous for 2001, the story is full of clichés, you probably won't even get into your first fight for an hour on your first playthrough, and the game takes about twice as long to complete as the next longest game in the series. Overall, everything that makes a classic Dragon Warrior title. It even retains most sound effects from the NES games.

You should check the game out if you haven't before. The graphics are hideous for 2001, the story is full of clichés, you probably won't even get into your first fight for an hour on your first playthrough, and the game takes about twice as long to complete as the next longest game in the series. Overall, everything that makes a classic Dragon Warrior title. It even retains most sound effects from the NES games.

Well, it is a JRPG. BA DUM TSH.

It's definitely a famous bridge, immortalized in the opening movie of Red alert 2, as well as countless maps, tourists' guides and elementary school textbooks.

It's a great bridge, not too useful to me living in the East Bay but at least it can be relied upon to stay open.

The red bridge in the following image is what I was talking about... Not the same bridge after all, but I'd like to think it's based off it.

Air_Combat.jpg

Which Dragon Quest game is that?

Dragon Warrior 7. It was made and localized back when Enix was an independent company, so it's a Warrior rather than a Quest.

That cuts, Ser, that cuts.

Edited by Le Communard