Marth vs. Ike

Oujay

73 members have voted

1. 1. who will win?

• Ike
    • Marth

What's with all this Brawl talk if this isn't even in the Brawl forum?

But yeah, Ike. Wouldn't it be a little more fair if Ike had a Silver Sword while Marth had the Falchion?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a more interesting poll, adjust the stats of either Arum or Ike so that they will have the stats they would have in FE2/FE9/FE10. This isn't even getting into adjusting the stats of their personal weapons in the transition to the other environment and other stuff.

EDIT: I think this was done before, but it degenerated into a popularity contest.

Edited by General Spoon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ike can attack FROM TWO SQUARES AWAY!! Marth is a Roy clone that would only beat Ike if he took Roy's best sword. As with Ike vs. Roy, Ike wins if the weapons are the same. Roy’s cheap healing trick makes him lose. Marth’s healing trick won't make up for the fact that Ike can attack him after he heals without getting countered. That’s four damage per heal with a sword that has 12 Mt to fight back! He only deals 8 damage on Ike each turn he attacks(FE9). As for his negating ability I think Ikes holy blade threw that out the window!

Ike wins because of his epicness, hotness, and manliness. And in brawl ike would probably lose but not if i was playing as him. :3

You sound like me, only to a greater extent. XD (which means I agree!)

Statisically, Ike wins by far against just about anyone. If they have a sword-countering lance, he'll just go shove Urvan in their face.

And talking Brawl, Ike and Marth are actually fairly equal. It could go either way depending on the player skills. Marth has speed on his side while Ike has sheer power and weight and those advantages pretty much can cancel each other out.

You sound like me, only to a greater extent. XD (which means I agree!)

Statisically, Ike wins by far against just about anyone. If they have a sword-countering lance, he'll just go shove Urvan in their face.

And talking Brawl, Ike and Marth are actually fairly equal. It could go either way depending on the player skills. Marth has speed on his side while Ike has sheer power and weight and those advantages pretty much can cancel each other out.

No they don't. Marth>Ike in Brawl.

Yes, they do. The Marth vs Ike match up is 60/40, with Marth being the one at 60. That is considered fairly equal in the Smash Bros. community. I know, I used to go to Smashboards, which is the biggest and most reliable Smash Bros. site on the net.

And don't say "well Marth is way higher on the tier list" because that means nothing. Bowser is higher than Ike too, yet Ike is the one with the biggest advantage in that match up. Diddy is way higher than Luigi, but Luigi is Diddy's toughest match up. So there. Tier placement has almost nothing to do with individual match ups.

Edited by Eternal Bond

Yes, they do. The Marth vs Ike match up is 60/40, with Marth being the one at 60. That is considered fairly equal in the Smash Bros. community. I know, I used to go to Smashboards, which is the biggest and most reliable Smash Bros. site on the net.

60/40 is not fairly equal.

Marth is better in Brawl, but it's apparent that Ike would win in the FE universe. No, not because of Marth's crappy stat caps and a lack of promotion. Ragnell is stronger than Falchion and Ike is larger and more experienced in battle.

Marth vs Ike is like 70/30, guys. It's horrible. I used to main Marth and I'm one of the best Ikes in the nation. What a horrible match-up. Ike is easily gimped and Marth can just shield and punish anything Ike tries to do.

I hope people don't think "used to go to Smashboards" matters... I am the fourth highest poster on Smashboards and a member of the SBR. >_>;

Edited by Inui

I'm afraid the Smash community disagrees with you.

I'm afraid the Smash community doesn't necessarily understand probability, then. Let's assume that the Marth/Ike win ratio was actually exactly .6/.4. If a Marth main and an Ike main were equally skilled to the point where the win percentages can be accurately modeled by probability, then we can look at what happens when we subject them to conditions that better represent tournament conditions.

Let's say we pit them in a best 2 of 3 match, where the first player to win 2 matches advances. In this scenario, the Marth main has a 64.8% chance of advancing, whereas the Ike main has a 35.2% chance of advancing. This is already approaching a 2:1 ratio of victory for Marth, which in my opinion does not constitute a "fairly good" matchup. I could extend it to a best 3 of 5 match as well, which IIRC more accurately represents a tournament scenario (at least, it does for Melee tournaments), but I'm bad with probability and I'm running out of space to continue this tree diagram. I can safely say that the more matches played, the more the ratio will swing in Marth's favor.

If the ratio were .7/.3, Marth would be winning 2 out of 3 78.4% of the time and Ike only 21.6% of the time, which is almost a 4:1 ratio of victory for Marth.

I am by far the best and most knowledgeable Smash player in the entire Fire Emblem community. I'm not even trying to be egotistical here. It's the truth.

I am also one of the best Ike users. Most will name me as a top 10 Ike in this nation, and possibly even top 5.

I can tell you, without a shadow of a doubt, that Ike is complete and total garbage with a plethora of 80/20 match-ups amongst almost every character outside of low and mid tier, making him totally worthless in a tournament environment. Even garbage characters like Yoshi, Mario, Lucas, and Ness boast better match-up ratios with the good characters (for instance, Yoshi vs MK is often considered 60/40 or slightly worse, which is way better than Ike's 80/20).

Ike, in my educated opinion, is the 5th worst character in the game when you weigh match-ups against the good characters more heavily than anything else. Zelda, Captain Falcon, Link, and Ganondorf are the only ones worse than him.

In low tier tournaments, Ike is good.

We are currently working on the next tier list in the SBR as well as a match-up chart. I assure you that Ike is going down down down.

Edited by Inui