Red Fox of Fire's character review topic (Complete)

Florete

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its ok i dont mind the truth.

because of paragon gifting

I personally think Astrid > Geoffrey's team except Geoffrey and Marcia, as a unit.

They are better fighters than her but they have poor availability and gain poor experience. In their joining chapter isn't it wiser to kill less enemies in order to gain more bexp? Then in 2-E they hardly have any time. In most of part 3 their usefulness drops.

Edited by Queen_Elincia

I personally think Astrid > Geoffrey's team except Geoffrey and Marcia, as a unit.

They are better fighters than her but they have poor availability and gain poor experience. In their joining chapter isn't it wiser to kill less enemies in order to gain more bexp? Then in 2-E they hardly have any time. In most of part 3 their usefulness drops.

Apart from not being a Pegasus Knight, I fail to see how Astrid > Marcia as Marcia has exactly the same amount of availability as her (well apart from the first 8 turns of 2-E). Just because Astrid has Paragon, doesn't mean that she's instantly better than the rest of the CRK's.

They are better fighters than her but they have poor availability and gain poor experience. In their joining chapter isn't it wiser to kill less enemies in order to gain more bexp? Then in 2-E they hardly have any time. In part 3 their usefulness drops.

Well, let's find out for sure. To answer your question quickly, yes, you do gain BExp for not killing the 2-3 enemies. However, let's find out if that's really a wise idea, or whether it's just better to kill them and get the CExp. In NM (for the sake of argument), you get 200 BExp for not killing a unit. Let's say that, on average, a character that would be getting this BExp is --/5. This means that you need 1300 BExp to get 1 level (of course, you may want to save it for BExp abuse later, meaning you need even more to gain a level. In other words, we need to be gaining at least (100)*(200/1300) = 15.7 Exp per kill. (They may be your citizens, but we are going for efficiency. They shouldn't have betrayed you and sided with Ludveck, and treason must bear some price.) No one knows for certain what the actual formula for CExp is, but we'll assume the NM growth for PoR, as I doubt it will vary too much. In that case, you're gaining ((3/2)*(10.5 + your level - enemy level) + 20) exp per kill. We'll further assume that the partner CRK units kill 2 units for every 5 that you do. On average, enemy units are about 20/2 or so, and your units average 20/5. Therefore, we can expect to gain somewhere around 30 Exp per kill, and 60+ for Astrid. So, I'd say that you may want to save a few, but you're gaining Exp on average by killing them. In hard mode, it's effectively 1/4 BExp, since you need twice as much but are only getting 1/2 as much. In Easy mode, you're not getting more BExp, but you're getting more CExp, so I'd say that they have to go, no matter the mode.

I won't be liked for the following review and the score to follow it.

No kidding. Particularly since hes actually the most functional mage in the game. Who the hell else are you gonna use? Ilyana Little Miss No Speed? Tormod of No Availability? Calill (LOL)? Seriously, hes the only decent mage in the game. (also considering what magic levels he maxed in PoR, gives him that uber bonus to his levels during the transfer.) Yeah also forget Adept much?

Why must you use a mage? If this was like any of the nicer FEs where having a mage around means enemy generals cry it would be one thing. A lot of units 2RKO Generals anyway and while 2 Hammers doesn't give a lot of uses they do allow any axe user to ORKO if they double. Soren is lucky to 2HKO and frequently 3HKOs and doesn't double. So he's basically worse than a lot of your other attackers against Generals, and that's basically his best case scenario. And he'll not be dodging frequently enough to send him out there on enemy phase when he's getting 2HKOd by everything, so I have to ask what does it matter if he's the most functional mage in the game (which he isn't thanks to Micaiah and, yes, Calill)? Asvel he is not. (In fact, he still couldn't hold a candle to pre-Narga Yuria even if you remove the hp drain effect of Resire)

Oh, and Ilyana does his job about the same. Sure, he frequently 2HKOs stuff that she 3HKOs when both are given forges, but honestly why is he soloing any enemies? Against the majority of enemies she's basically just as capable of combining with most random GM units to KO a unit as Soren is.

Also, being (N), Soren (N) doesn't get any weapon levels from PoR. Although, the Bs he starts with (A wind) are good enough for most tasks anyway. Just needs 1 thunder level to get to Arcthunder and Thoron is not practical to purchase and a forged thunder is > Arcthunder anyway. He has no need of Bolganone since he doesn't appear in 4-5 (making Ilyana and Calill better choices to raise anyway if you absolutely must raise a sage) so B Fire gets him all the fire he'll ever be able to use and E thunder is honestly all he needs for thunder. Well, the 3-11 Thoron could be purchased if you really want, but an 8mt forge (1 less mt than Thoron and possibly fixed by a card) has 24 mt on dragons anyway vs. 27 mt from Thoron. And the forge will have better hit (and >= crit since Thoron is only 5 crit, but that doesn't matter much) and probably be cheaper per hit. T version already has a higher score if starting with S Wind, A Fire, A Thunder makes a difference over ABB.

Who the hell else are you gonna use?

Ike

Haar

Mia

Titania

Gatrie

Janaff

Ulki

Shinon

Nephenee

Oscar

Mordecai

Ranulf

Boyd

Mist (healing)

Heather (when necessary)

Rhys (healing)

I see no reason to use Soren when I have more units (that are better than he is) than slots already.

And yeah, Adept on Soren is only an argument for players that don't seem to realize that you can give Adept to someone that uses it better. Playing efficiently, giving Soren credit for Adept would be like giving Fiona credit for Saviour and Imbue (so 3-6 easy button with Saviour Sothe, for example).

While everything you said is true, I will still use Soren because he can use Rexcal. (For all thats worth. -___-)

(I have to use each SS weapon, and there has to be one person to use each.)

Hmm... I don't really give a damn about blessing Vague Katti (1-range lock = Not cool), Urvan (see Vague Katti), Rexcalibur (Don't care for Soren), and Balberith (Don't care for Pelleas, either).

The CRKs gain more exp by killing off the evil citizens but that extra bexp can be built up and used on somebody else. I'm not saying Astrid is a better fighter than Kieran or Makalov, what I am trying to say is that none of the CRKs are worth using much but Astrid (and Geoffrey) can contribute a lot more to your main team than they can simply by trading off their paragon skill.

CRKs availability is too small compared to someone like Titania or Haar. Some of the CRKs have trouble hitting things. Then in endgame there are only like 1 of each SS weapons, excluding swords so maybe Makalov is at an advantage. So there really is no convenience using Kieran in the long run compared to someone like Haar :(.

Neither is Astrid of course :( but at least your team will benefit from trading her paragon. In that sense I believe Astrid > most CRK's.

Same for Soren

Edited by Queen_Elincia

Well, let's find out for sure. To answer your question quickly, yes, you do gain BExp for not killing the 2-3 enemies. However, let's find out if that's really a wise idea, or whether it's just better to kill them and get the CExp. In NM (for the sake of argument), you get 200 BExp for not killing a unit. Let's say that, on average, a character that would be getting this BExp is --/5. This means that you need 1300 BExp to get 1 level (of course, you may want to save it for BExp abuse later, meaning you need even more to gain a level. In other words, we need to be gaining at least (100)*(200/1300) = 15.7 Exp per kill. (They may be your citizens, but we are going for efficiency. They shouldn't have betrayed you and sided with Ludveck, and treason must bear some price.) No one knows for certain what the actual formula for CExp is, but we'll assume the NM growth for PoR, as I doubt it will vary too much. In that case, you're gaining ((3/2)*(10.5 + your level - enemy level) + 20) exp per kill. We'll further assume that the partner CRK units kill 2 units for every 5 that you do. On average, enemy units are about 20/2 or so, and your units average 20/5. Therefore, we can expect to gain somewhere around 30 Exp per kill, and 60+ for Astrid. So, I'd say that you may want to save a few, but you're gaining Exp on average by killing them. In hard mode, it's effectively 1/4 BExp, since you need twice as much but are only getting 1/2 as much. In Easy mode, you're not getting more BExp, but you're getting more CExp, so I'd say that they have to go, no matter the mode.

There is one thing that makes cexp in 2-3 inferior. It has to actually go to the CRKs.

Also, the NM formula is more (3/2) x deltalevel + 20, so if you go with 20/5 against 20/2 (which isn't even the case since a lot of the enemies are unpromoted and only Marcia and Astrid are 20/5 or less) then that's (3/2) x (-3) + 20 = 15 or 16 depending on rounding. A 20/9 beorc takes 3000/2 = 1500 bexp to get a level. 200/1500 x 100 = 13.33exp, so it's not too far off and you can give it to Nephenee or Haar or something in 2-E and actually get a lot more mileage out of it. Availability again kills the CRK. A 20/5 beorc takes 2600/2 = 1300 bexp to get a level, so 200/1300 x 100 > 15 exp, so it's already basically there. And remember a lot of those enemies are not promoted and you are definitely getting more mileage. Oh, and that 20/9 beorc that gets 13 exp? Their deltalevel against a 20/2 enemy is -7, so they are only getting 9 or 10 exp a kill anyway. (7 * 1.5 = 10.5, so 20 - 10.5 = 9.5).

In HM, +20 drops to +15, so they now get 10 or 11 exp. Granted, a 20/5 beorc now takes 2500 bexp to get a level, rather than 1300, so 100 bexp only gives 100/2500*100=4 exp, and 4 is a lot less than 10. But it can still go into Nephenee to make her double in 2-E, or it can go elsewhere if you aren't using Nephenee.

There is an actual argument for killing them on HM, but on NM you get so much bexp out of them that you can get Nephenee near promotion. 20000 bexp goes a long way in NM.

Going from level 5.00 to level 15.00 is:

So 15250 bexp is enough to take a unit from 20/5 to 20/15. You can have even more than that from the clear and turn bexp for 2-3 and also the bexp from 2-P, 2-1, 2-2.

There is one thing that makes cexp in 2-3 inferior. It has to actually go to the CRKs.

Also, the NM formula is more (3/2) x deltalevel + 20, so if you go with 20/5 against 20/2 (which isn't even the case since a lot of the enemies are unpromoted and only Marcia and Astrid are 20/5 or less) then that's (3/2) x (-3) + 20 = 15 or 16 depending on rounding. A 20/9 beorc takes 3000/2 = 1500 bexp to get a level. 200/1500 x 100 = 13.33exp, so it's not too far off and you can give it to Nephenee or Haar or something in 2-E and actually get a lot more mileage out of it. Availability again kills the CRK. A 20/5 beorc takes 2600/2 = 1300 bexp to get a level, so 200/1300 x 100 > 15 exp, so it's already basically there. And remember a lot of those enemies are not promoted and you are definitely getting more mileage. Oh, and that 20/9 beorc that gets 13 exp? Their deltalevel against a 20/2 enemy is -7, so they are only getting 9 or 10 exp a kill anyway. (7 * 1.5 = 10.5, so 20 - 10.5 = 9.5).

In HM, +20 drops to +15, so they now get 10 or 11 exp. Granted, a 20/5 beorc now takes 2500 bexp to get a level, rather than 1300, so 100 bexp only gives 100/2500*100=4 exp, and 4 is a lot less than 10. But it can still go into Nephenee to make her double in 2-E, or it can go elsewhere if you aren't using Nephenee.

There is an actual argument for killing them on HM, but on NM you get so much bexp out of them that you can get Nephenee near promotion. 20000 bexp goes a long way in NM.

So 15250 bexp is enough to take a unit from 20/5 to 20/15. You can have even more than that from the clear and turn bexp for 2-3 and also the bexp from 2-P, 2-1, 2-2.

And Having Neph at third tier at 2-E = Awesome.

Well, it takes another 11550 to pull that off.

2000 (gets her to 20/20)

But that's still only 26800 and you can have 20500 from part 2 at this point (assuming you killed the volunteers rather than let them live in 2-1). Hmm. I remembered the total amount from the 2-3 enemies wrong. Miscalculated, I guess. Oh well. She'd still go from level 5 to almost level 18. Assuming you get her 4 levels from 2-1 and 2-2 and give her all the bexp she gets really close. Shouldn't be long in part 3 before she promotes. Even level 15 instead of level 18 is still quite good, considering she should quickly cap skl and spd so a decent amount of stat points from the bexp levels will go towards str and def.

2000 (gets her to 20/20)

But that's still only 26800 and you can have 20500 from part 2 at this point (assuming you killed the volunteers rather than let them live in 2-1). Hmm. I remembered the total amount from the 2-3 enemies wrong. Miscalculated, I guess. Oh well. She'd still go from level 5 to almost level 18. Assuming you get her 4 levels from 2-1 and 2-2 and give her all the bexp she gets really close. Shouldn't be long in part 3 before she promotes. Even level 15 instead of level 18 is still quite good, considering she should quickly cap skl and spd so a decent amount of stat points from the bexp levels will go towards str and def.

Point taken. Although, in NM, Marcia and Geoff are usable (and arguably Kieran), so they benefit from kills, (Geoffrey has paragon, so he's getting CExp at about the same rate as Marcia). I'd say that for NM purposes, let Geoff and Marcia pick up a few kills (including the speedwing), and let the rest of the rebels survive. Nephinel is always good to have.

2000 (gets her to 20/20)

Point taken. Although, in NM, Marcia and Geoff are usable (and arguably Kieran), so they benefit from kills, (Geoffrey has paragon, so he's getting CExp at about the same rate as Marcia). I'd say that for NM purposes, let Geoff and Marcia pick up a few kills (including the speedwing), and let the rest of the rebels survive. Nephinel is always good to have.

Well, I only use her (& Lucia because I have to. D:) So I could have her at third teir before 2-E. You might aswell spend that BEXP, because you won't be seeing it for a LONG time.

2000 (gets her to 20/20)

Well, I only use her (& Lucia because I have to. D:) So I could have her at third teir before 2-E. You might aswell spend that BEXP, because you won't be seeing it for a LONG time.

Huh. I don't care for Nephenee... Trying to use her in 2-E leads me to nothing but trouble.

Edited by Richter Renard

2000 (gets her to 20/20)

Huh. I don't care for Nephenee... Trying to use her in 2-E leads me to nothing but trouble.

You don't like alot of characters I like. o.o

Then again, I pick my units off of their "beauty" unlike most people. IMO, Haar = Ugly = Bad. (Yes, I am really that shallow)

Then again, I pick my units off of their "beauty" unlike most people. IMO, Haar = Ugly = Bad. (Yes, I am really that shallow)

I doubt you're the only one. Thinking about this, I'd imagine that Volug was argued up to where he is by someone who really, really likes his abs.

They are better fighters than her but they have poor availability and gain poor experience. In their joining chapter isn't it wiser to kill less enemies in order to gain more bexp? Then in 2-E they hardly have any time. In part 3 their usefulness drops.

Yes, there's going to be less BEXP than CEXP. But what would you prefer? Less BEXP for a unit you will use, or more CEXP for a unit you won't? The CRKs can handle their remaining chapter and a half at base level anyway, with the possible exception of Marcia and of course Asstrid, but Marcia has 2-P and all of 2-E and Asstrid isn't fighting. After 3-9 on a standard playthrough, you wouldn't use the CRKs, right? They won't be fighting again, so their CEXP will go to waste. However, if you went for max BEXP, that experience will stick around for you to use later.

The combat experience gained by the CRKs hardly matters. Even if it's a fraction of NM's experience, I'd take 2-3's BEXP in HM because I can use it to give a push to a unit I will in fact be fielding in the long run. Better to have less of something and make it count than to have more of it and waste it.

Edited by Naglfar

2000 (gets her to 20/20)

Hmmm. Not to mention that her third tier outfit makes my eyes bleed (Vika's outfit, even more so). On a side note, I don't care about 2-3's BEXP. I always saw it as too much trouble.

2000 (gets her to 20/20)

Hmmm. Not to mention that her third tier outfit makes my eyes bleed (Vika's outfit, even more so). On a side note, I don't care about 2-3's BEXP. I always saw it as too much trouble.

Yea. It is kinda werid looking.

Heather's 3rd tier outfit ftw?

In my current 2-3 I'm baby sitting Astrid, Marcia, and Danved just because they're among my favorites :3

If the CRK'S had more availability they would be higher :(

maybe I should use Kieran, I hate using Titania and Haar is only a bronze equipped meatshield for me until he starts dying.

Edited by Queen_Elincia

In my current 2-3 I'm baby sitting Astrid, Marcia, and Danved just because they're among my favorites :3

maybe I should use Kieran, I hate using Titania and Haar is only a bronze equipped meatshield for me until he starts dying.

Gold Knight caps aren't the best. Abmysal avaliability. Doesn't turn out to be a super-mega-ultra unit. The effort you would have to put in could be used much better. You don't need to have a person for every single SS weapon. Haar turns out amazing so you probably got RNG screwed.

Gold Knight caps aren't the best. Abmysal avaliability. Doesn't turn out to be a super-mega-ultra unit. The effort you would have to put in could be used much better. You don't need to have a person for every single SS weapon. Haar turns out amazing so you probably got RNG screwed.

Well, he is still slow on average. But what I think she meant was that she simply doesn't like to use Haar. I don't like to either, when I can help it.

I've also used him way too much, in my deleted file and first playthrough. In my current playthrough I am avoiding him at all costs, and I have never given Kieran or Makalov a chance.

Thats why I'm picking Fiona over Titania, to try and give her a chance.

I feel Astrid is underrated, in 2-3 she gains about the same exp in hitting enemies while the others gain around that amount in kills, she won't be doubling but she has good hit.

Edited by Queen_Elincia

yes

Haar is only a bronze equipped meatshield for me until he starts dying.

Nobody, not even Haar, is going to perform spectacularly when equipped with bronze weapons. And if he "starts dying", at least within three turns, you're doing something wrong. You can heal him anyway.

yes

Nobody, not even Haar, is going to perform spectacularly when equipped with bronze weapons. And if he "starts dying", at least within three turns, you're doing something wrong. You can heal him anyway.

thats my goal, I only need him to weaken enemies so Marcia gets the kills, as chapters go by he'll start dying.

I give him iron not bronze, Ike has bronze + disarm. :)

yes

thats my goal, I only need him to weaken enemies so Marcia gets the kills, as chapters go by he'll start dying.

I give him iron not bronze, Ike has bronze + disarm. :)

Oh, nicely done there. Does Ike have Blossom too?

But no matter how much you don't like Haar, or when you're certain he's not going to Endgame, everybody still uses him for something.

Its not that I don't like Haar, in fact I only dislike Shinnon and Soren out of the entire cast.

I've overused him too much before so this time he's only meatshield until my main team members are stable or if he starts dying.

but knowing myself I'll probably end up using Haar anyway :3

I usually give Blossom to somebody with paragon or one of my mages.

last time it was Ilyana I think

Edited by Queen_Elincia