Playing Mist as a Swordfighter

Ever since I noticed that she SS'd in swords and not staves as I had previously thought, and was there for a candidate for SS rank swords, I wondered what it'd be like to play Mist as a swordfighter instead of just a healer. I know she has a low STR cap so the results won't be that impressive (17 as Cleric, 25 as Valkyrie), but I'd still like to try it. Since her growth rate for strength is 25%, it might require some BEXP abuse to nudge it along. But I want to try it, just because the idea of making Mist wield Alondite amuses me.

Has anyone tried this before? If so, what results did you get? And what would be a good support for her? Someone with Fire affinity to increase her strength and hit %? Or an Earth affinity to increase her avoid (since she most likely won't do much ORKOing so she'll need some dodge help)?

Off topic: Elincia also SS's swords and not staves, but she's got Amiti, so the point is moot if you're talking about weapon blessing.

On topic: I have taken Mist to the tower and usually end up giving her Alondite when I do. She never does a ton of damage, but she's really good at taking out white dragons and spirits, since her high resistance means she doesn't take much damage. The +5 defense helps her out a bunch as well.

As for supports, she wants really wants earth or (gasp!) heaven more than anything. Since her water support at A rank naturally gives her 2 defense and 2 attack, a single extra point of either doesn't help a whole lot. However, her relatively low skill means she can really use the extra hit from a heaven support and earth is obvious. If you are using them both, Mist X Elincia as a support pairing actually makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Randomly Predictable

I've done this before, and it's utterly hilarious to have Mist wielding a giant sword in Endgame. But prior to that, Florete is a good weapon if you work on her STR, and she benefits considerably from normal 1-range Steel forges (with crit on them, naturally). She almost certainly will want to use Adept full time, since that's about the only way she's getting anywhere offensively, even though her SPD is underwhelming.

Support-wise, Earth is probably her best shot, specifically Ike's Earth. The reason being is that you'll want to abuse their built-in Bond as much as possible (+10 crit for both when they are adjacent), so you might as well support them since it builds to A really fast anyway. Mist also gets +5 from Jill, Boyd, and Titania, so those are occasionally useful (Titania in particular because of Canto, and being forced in the same chapters as Ike).

I still wish Mist would be more like Lachesis.

Starts with swords and staves (just like Mist), on promotion gets a horse (just like Mist) and awesome caps (not so much for Mist) and access to every weapon type but dark (...). Good times.

60% hp growth, 50% str growth.

Mist can keep her other growths, though. In fact, she'd be rather bad if she doesn't.

But prior to that, Florete is a good weapon if you work on her STR, and she benefits considerably from normal 1-range Steel forges (with crit on them, naturally)

Eh. Unless you are using up some good coins on her, you're not getting much out of forging weapons for her. Florete has as high might and crit as those steel forges.

Starts with swords and staves (just like Mist), on promotion gets a horse (just like Mist) and awesome caps (not so much for Mist) and access to every weapon type but dark (...). Good times.

She could certainly use an extra 2 to her strength on promotion. (lachesis gets +7 str, mist gets +5).

Edited by SeverIan

But prior to that, Florete is a good weapon if you work on her STR, and she benefits considerably from normal 1-range Steel forges (with crit on them, naturally)

Eh. Unless you are using up some good coins on her, you're not getting much out of forging weapons for her. Florete has as high might and crit as those steel forges.

It's not as bad as you'd think. Florete is amazing since it has the same mt and crit as a forged steel but you only get two and they are only 90 total uses. If you are going to favour Mist, you might as well get her a sweet transfer and then use those 9 or so coins to find a really good one for her. Why only favour her with half measures?

15 mt, 20 crit weapon. Or 16 or 17 mt with 15 crit. Lots of standing next to Ike. Try to get Ike damaged a fair amount in 3-P, 3-1, 3-2 and you can have an A Ike support ready for 3-3 because being a 00 and having staves means you can grow supports disgustingly quickly. It takes 33 points for a C, 32 more for a B, 32 more for an A. Healing gives 6, adjacent gives 5. It's kinda nuts. You can be done a level in 3 turns per map. heal + adjacent each turn and that's 33 points.

She could certainly use an extra 2 to her strength on promotion. (lachesis gets +7 str, mist gets +5).

And the +7 skill is cool, and the +4 spd is cool, and the +7 def is great. No mag or res, but who cares? She was only getting 2 each anyway. Also, if you give her the higher hp growth she won't miss the +4 hp too much, though it does take 20 levels to get an extra 4 hp from the 60% hp growth rather than Mist's 40%.

Actually, just give Mist Hezul. 40%hp becomes 60%, and 25% str becomes 55%.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Mist can keep her other growths, though. In fact, she'd be rather bad if she doesn't.

Actually,and as much as I love the way Lachesis/Leaf were in FE4,getting Sol upon promotion and a sacred blood in some new sword lineage(to emulate the SS rank)would probably beat that anytime,even with bad growths:p

As for FE10,seing how hard mode takes away the weapon triangle,and you don't get any ennemies actually wielding any weapon at the very end of the game,in other modes(except Sephiran...And maybe spirits,but with their high resistance,you're better of dealing with them using physical weapons anyway)...

Well,actually,that could have been great.Mist using magic(and actually getting to use siege tomes,which wasn't possible in FE4 if I recall correctly)could have been fun:p(no access to Nosferatu sucks though)

Only mounted magic-user,and highest speed cap of all(if I'm not mistaken)

Yeah, that's be great, just as long as she wasn't a whore like Lachesis was, that would be awesome.

Also, they could add Dark Magic to her arsenal! :awesome:

Edited by BMW M3

Having Mist use Alondite at Endgame is funny and can be effective if you boost her strength!

Funny and awesome, yes. But Mist is never effective with any sword, ever, because IS are Nazis and got rid of magic swords. 25 third tier strength cap ftl.

I would almost think that they wouldn't have Mist be able to wield Alondite. I equipped it on her once just to see if there was any dialogue like "Why am I wielding the sword that killed my dad wahwahwah" but disappointingly to me that never happened.

I would almost think that they wouldn't have Mist be able to wield Alondite. I equipped it on her once just to see if there was any dialogue like "Why am I wielding the sword that killed my dad wahwahwah" but disappointingly to me that never happened.

Maybe she's just pragmatic? You don't even have to be especially pragmatic for this. Just a little. It's not as if it's the sword's fault, or that the sword needs to somehow redeem itself before she'd use it. The sword was just a tool.

Maybe she's just pragmatic? You don't even have to be especially pragmatic for this. Just a little. It's not as if it's the sword's fault, or that the sword needs to somehow redeem itself before she'd use it. The sword was just a tool.

Sure she knew that the BK killed her dad, but at the same time, I don't think that Mist ever knew for certain that Alondite was the weapon used. It would make logical sense and all, but unless Ike told her specifically, she wouldn't have known for certain.

• 4 weeks later...

I did that once because she had great str and S in swords so I gave her an ams scroll and some SS sword :). She always doubled but not deal enough damage.

No, she never does. Even with 23 STR at 20/20. :/ She can get STR screwed too. :(

Edited by Bryan