Best characters for their respected classes

Deliriyum

Lord: FE10 Ike

Dark magic user: Umm, probably Ray, from what I've heard about him, but I've never used him or Canas

Anima magic user: Lute

Light magic user: Micaiah

Staff user: Laura

Sword user: FE10 Mia or Raven

Axe user: FE9 Boyd

Lance user: Oswin

Archer: FE10 Shinon

Pegasus rider: Tanith FE9 Marcia, although Vanessa is close

Wyvern rider: FE10 Haar

Paladin: Lots of good choice, but Titania

Dancer/Heron: FE9 Reyson

Lagooz: Ranulf Volug

Thief: FE10 Sothe

Soren is far from useful in the GM's.His offense is nothing special, and quickly becomes even worse comparitavely.As well,he needs to be shielded constantly so he doesn;t die.

Micaiah has Sacrifice and Thani in part 1, which sets her apart from her team, and in part 3 she can heal off those hard hits from lolwut tigers.

Plus Micaiah is invincible against dragons with Nosferatu.

I'm not sure, Micaiah needs to be 20/20/11 to survive a hit from a Red Dragon. 10 levels seems like a lot to gain in 4-E-1 and 4-E-2. Although if you gave her a Robe back in Part 1, she'd only need some BEXP to cap Magic and Res and then she can do it fine.

Edited by Anouleth

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord: FE10 Ike

Dark magic user: Umm, probably Ray, from what I've heard about him, but I've never used him or Canas

Anima magic user: Lute

Light magic user: Micaiah

Staff user: Laura

Sword user: FE10 Mia or Raven

Axe user: FE9 Boyd

Lance user: Oswin

Archer: FE10 Shinon

Pegasus rider: Tanith FE9 Marcia, although Vanessa is close

Wyvern rider: FE10 Haar

Paladin: Lots of good choice, but Titania

Dancer/Heron: FE9 Reyson

Lagooz: Ranulf Volug

Thief: FE10 Sothe

Soren is far from useful in the GM's.His offense is nothing special, and quickly becomes even worse comparitavely.As well,he needs to be shielded constantly so he doesn;t die.

Micaiah has Sacrifice and Thani in part 1, which sets her apart from her team, and in part 3 she can heal off those hard hits from lolwut tigers.

Plus Micaiah is invincible against dragons with Nosferatu.

I'm not sure, Micaiah needs to be 20/20/11 to survive a hit from a Red Dragon. 10 levels seems like a lot to gain in 4-E-1 and 4-E-2. Although if you gave her a Robe back in Part 1, she'd only need some BEXP to cap Magic and Res and then she can do it fine.

Don't forget that nothing attacks Kurth on this level, so he can stand next to her at pretty much no consequence.And a seraph robe in part 1 is pretty plausible, since you get two and are unlikely to be raising a fuckton of DBers.She might even have dropped her Sothe support for Jill or someone else with a + def affinity.

WHAT? You did NOT just say Soren is inferior to Micaiah. Micaiah sucks ass. Soren is epic. I trained Micaiah and babied her to her fullest and she still ended up a crap unit for me. She dies way too easily and is just too weak. I've had Soren knock down dragons and other tough opponents with his magic.

Nobody gives a damn about your personal experience.

WHAT? You did NOT just say Soren is inferior to Micaiah. Micaiah sucks ass. Soren is epic. I trained Micaiah and babied her to her fullest and she still ended up a crap unit for me. She dies way too easily and is just too weak. I've had Soren knock down dragons and other tough opponents with his magic.

Personal experience aside, that alone is not what makes or breaks a character.

There are tons of other factors

Oh, and I don't know about other people, but I've never had the feeling that I was really "babying" Micaiah =/

I'm not basing this just on my personal experience. I've also said that I haven't heard anyone say Soren sucks before. I've only heard that he's the best mage in Ike's games, sometimes in all of FE.

he doesn;t suck, he's just not all that great.Soren and Ilyana are pretty close in FE9, but in FE10 he loses to Micaiah and is around the same as Calill.

And there are a lot of mages better than him.Pent,Erk,Lute and Merric come to mind from the english releases.

I'm not basing this just on my personal experience. I've also said that I haven't heard anyone say Soren sucks before. I've only heard that he's the best mage in Ike's games, sometimes in all of FE.

Well, if you haven't heard people say or imply that Soren sucks then you aren't reading in the right places. Just check the tier lists for those games. In feRD he's at the bottom of Mid. That may not be "sucking", per se, depending on your perception, but it certainly isn't good. Then check how much higher Micaiah is on that list. Considering these lists are argued over by a fair number of people, that's a pretty clear indication that a fair number of people here think Micaiah > Soren in RD.

Even Smash Fanatic, an admitted Soren Fanboy, has Micaiah above Soren in both his rating topic and in his tier list. His most recent version in that topic was on October 3, 2009 and it still has Micaiah well above Soren.

But I've heard it from a number of sources. Not just a few either. I also used my own personal experience to see if these people were right and I ended up agreeing. I really don't understand you guys at all. :/

Micaiah has never been good for me, no matter how many times I train her, and Soren always comes out very good.

These people are wrong.

I think Sety[Azel] or Sety[Claude] manages to be better than Soren. That's not even getting into Sety[Levin] being so much better than Soren that Soren looks like a little kid playing with matches (and I guess fans and batteries for wind and thunder/lightning).

Then there is Asvel and Homeros. Even Linda and Tiltyu at least have the ability (at base level) to OHKO most of the enemies while using Thoron thanks to wrath. As they level they can take on the enemies in later chapters. Soren in PoR is probably easily better than they are, but Soren in RD is likely inferior. RD HM anyway.

Anyway, the justification for Micaiah > Soren in RD HM is simply that she does stuff in part 1 no other unit can do. Up until Tauroneo in 1-6 she's the only unit that can OHKO armors, which are a difficult enemy for your squad. She can heal throughout part 3 when the DB only has 2 healers and benefits from using both. Soren doesn't do anything special in part 3 and is significantly worse than a large amount of the team. By part 4 when he finally gets healing it doesn't matter as much (and there are plenty of other staff users with higher staff rank) and he faces issues doubling for the entire game. Basically, even if he turns out better offensively than Micaiah for part 4, overall Micaiah does more for efficient completion of the game. That's why most on this site will see Micaiah as better than him. Part 4 isn't the only thing that matters to us so we generally don't see the unit that ends best as being automatically the better unit.

In NM it is much easier to make him double thanks to enormous amounts of bexp and lower enemy spd stats, so on NM it's debatable which unit is better overall. In HM it's really not. And while he is likely better than Ilyana in PoR, it really isn't by all that much unless he has a constant supply of forges.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Wrong. He loses to Calill and Micaiah in RD, and is close to Ilyana in PoR.

These people are wrong.

I think Sety[Azel] or Sety[Claude] manages to be better than Soren. That's not even getting into Sety[Levin] being so much better than Soren that Soren looks like a little kid playing with matches (and I guess fans and batteries for wind and thunder/lightning).

Then there is Asvel and Homeros. Even Linda and Tiltyu at least have the ability (at base level) to OHKO most of the enemies while using Thoron thanks to wrath. As they level they can take on the enemies in later chapters. Soren in PoR is probably easily better than they are, but Soren in RD is likely inferior. RD HM anyway.

Never having played any Japanese-only FEs, I can't comment on how Soren does compared to them (although I have heard tales of the brokenness of Holsety and Narga). But you don't need to go back that far, or even leave FE10 to find sages that outdo Soren - Micaiah, Merric, Lute, Pent, Erk, Tormod, and Saleh all outperform him. Although I did like Soren's unique sprite - I can't stand the crappy half-capes that FE9/10 Mages get, although the GBA sprites obviously all beat him.

[pun]And if Soren got to use his fans in combat, he'd actually be good.[/pun]

The first is definitely not true. He's beaten easily

The last is just laughable, Sety/Arthur are both superior, though dependant of father in FE4

Sety, and Asvel in FE5

Lugh in FE6 is superior in my eyes, though I'm not too sure

Pent and Erk for FE7

Lute for FE8

Marich for FE11

But I've heard it from a number of sources. Not just a few either. I also used my own personal experience to see if these people were right and I ended up agreeing. I really don't understand you guys at all. :/

Micaiah has never been good for me, no matter how many times I train her, and Soren always comes out very good.

It's more like I don't get YOU. I repeat: Nobody gives a damn about your personal experience.

Alright, people who are just saying "You're wrong lolz Soren loses to this person and that person in that game" why not back up your claim like other people are doing? >_>

Anyway, this is silly. Though for some reason, it seems that the majority of the units that came out really good for me are considered bad in the ratiing list Narga gave me. Wtf...

Boyd, Kieran, Ranulf, Rhys, Edward...maybe more I'm not thinking of.

Edit: Richter: Well gee, excuse me for living.

Edited by Eternal Bond

Alright, people who are just saying "You're wrong lolz Soren loses to this person and that person in that game" why not back up your claim like other people are doing? >_>

Anyway, this is silly. Though for some reason, it seems that the majority of the units that came out really good for me are considered bad in the ratiing list Narga gave me. Wtf...

Ok,let's compare RD Soren to Pent.

Both join around the middle of the game, so lets see how they both do when they join.

Soren: 2-3HKO's most enemies, doesn;t double anything,won;t start doubling without a lot of luck or favoritism

Gets 2HKO'd by anything that isn't a mage, and is doubled by SM's.

Pent: Doubles everything and hits Res, so he easily one rounds for quite a while. He also has A staves, so he can use Physic and other fun staves.

33 Hp/14 def with his A Louise means he's likely getting 3-4HKO'd,since enemies are unlikely to be pulling 31 Att aside from bosses.

And while pent continues to kill throughout the whole game, Soren actually gets worse relative offense, as he caprams mag while enemies keep getting more res, and his tier 2 spd cap means he'll never double without a crown.

That good enough for ya'? XD

I'm not the one whose defense consists entirely of personal experience.

Okay, it goes a bit like this:

In HM, Soren simply never doubles, like, never ever. In addition, SMs double him and some enemies (Snipers, maybe Halberdiers, definitely SMs) have crit on him. Adept is not going to stay on him, since his proc rate for it is so low; pretty much everyone uses it better than he does. He's also 2HKOed by virtually everything. His saving grace is accurate, powerful 2-range. While he can be BEXPed after he caps MAG/SKL/RES for stats he needs (everything, really, but primarily SPD/DEF), you don't have enough BEXP to dump many levels on him. In addition, even if he (somehow) caps SPD, his SPD caps is only 23, so he'll only double Sages, Generals, and Paladins, and he really isn't good enough to get a crown. This performance isn't awful, since many GMs have doubling issues and at least he does lots of damage, so he's in lower-mid.

In HM, Micaiah is also never doubling, and has even worse durability. So why is she higher than Soren? Well, the DB have a tough time in general. Micaiah's chip damage is more valuable than Soren's. She also has Thani for those troublesome armors that everyone else struggles with. In addition, she can augment her chip damage by taking Wrath, Sacrificing down to below 30%, then hitting things. Nobody else in the DB is using Wrath this well, so she can take it. So her chip damage is far better, even necessary. She's also providing emergency healing with Sacrifice. When Part 3 rolls around, she has highly valuable staves, so she provides healing (which is really useful for the DB). She continues with this into Part 4.

When Part 4 rolls around, Soren is probably promoted, but he still isn't doubling anything, not even Generals. However, since Soren is in the Greil Army, his healing is probably more valuable, and his offense and durability are stomping Micaiah's since she's still 2nd tier, so a win for him. In Endgame, though, Soren is taking up a valuable unit slot that could probably have someone better in it, while Micaiah's deployment is free. Her healing is better now, because she can use Fortify, and she can also pick up Nosferatu in 4-E-3 and tank the Dragons, which is in her favour. So she's winning Endgame easily.

That sums up why Mickey>>Soren. As for mages in every game other than FE10... well, they double far more reliably, and most of them can also pull pretty good durability, since they have better speed and opponents aren't as accurate. They aren't stuck with substandard movement speed either, and enemies have lower Res.

What? Soren doubles a lot for me. And if you add the skill that allows two consecutive attacks, I've seen Soren TRIPLE enemies. I have no clue what you are talking about.

Which is why you either

A: were playing on easy mode

B: gave Soren large amounts of favoritism or

C: got really lucky

because Soren starts slower than most enemies, and has around the same speed growth as generic enemies.

Also, Soren loses Adept because aside from Mist,Rhys, and Rolf, he's the worst person on the team to give it to.

Sigrun is pretty terrible; Ranulf, Soren and Edward are meh and have no business being part of an efficient core team.

What? You're the first person I've heard say this. I've only heard that Soren is the best mage in FE9/10 as well as Edward being the best Swordmaster. As for Sigrun, I just did better with her and Elincia than the other Pegasus Knights.

Also, Edward kicked ass for me. Soren did too.

If that's what you've heard, then as Narga said, you haven't been reading in the right places. Have you been at GFaqs a lot? I wouldn't be surprised if you left there with that thought in your mind.

It's common for people to overrate Soren and underrate Micaiah. Whether NM or HM, Micaiah > Soren for reasons stated.

That's because of rabid fangirls and fanboys. Soren is a candidate for the most overrated character in the series.

Also, find someone else that says Soren is good and we'll say the same thing. He doesn't exactly suck, he's just kind of below average.

What? Soren doubles a lot for me. And if you add the skill that allows two consecutive attacks, I've seen Soren TRIPLE enemies. I have no clue what you are talking about.

Sure you don't. Because you're either:

- Playing on easy mode

- Favoring Soren

- Getting lucky, which falls into personal experience, which I already chewed you out on

As for Adept, that'd be better off in other hands.

Smash's tier list is bad, actually. It was just an example of a guy that likes Soren but has Micaiah as better than him.

This one is better, though I'm sure you may find some things different on it than your experience. If you compare your good units to their averages you can at least find out if you got super-lucky on your characters. It's always possible.

Also, don't forget that the relative ratings of the characters in this game varies greatly on different modes, so if your experience is not on HM it almost certainly will not agree with the tier lists made for hard mode. There is, of course, nothing wrong with never playing HM. It just results in a different understanding of the units' relative abilities than the understanding of those that do play HM.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Sure you don't. Because you're either:

- Playing on easy mode

- Favoring Soren

- Getting lucky, which falls into personal experience, which I already chewed you out on

As for Adept, that'd be better off in other hands.

Lol, I love how we basically made the exact same post, aside from wording.

Sigrun is pretty terrible; Ranulf, Soren and Edward are meh and have no business being part of an efficient core team.

What? You're the first person I've heard say this. I've only heard that Soren is the best mage in FE9/10 as well as Edward being the best Swordmaster. As for Sigrun, I just did better with her and Elincia than the other Pegasus Knights.

Also, Edward kicked ass for me. Soren did too.

If that's what you've heard, then as Narga said, you haven't been reading in the right places. Have you been at GFaqs a lot? I wouldn't be surprised if you left there with that thought in your mind.

It's common for people to overrate Soren and underrate Micaiah. Whether NM or HM, Micaiah > Soren for reasons stated.

That's because of rabid fangirls and fanboys. Soren is a candidate for the most overrated character in the series.

Also, find someone else that says Soren is good and we'll say the same thing. He doesn't exactly suck, he's just kind of below average.

Yeah, GFaqs are in no way a reliable source. And all of them seem to believe Edward's the best Trueblade, for one.

I remember one guy who thought he was being smart by dropping Seth :facepalm: