What anime/manga are you following right now?

Hatari

My two personal favorites (For Anime) are FMA Brotherhood, and Cowboy Bebop.

Oh dear god I love Cowboy Bebop...

FMA Brotherhood is also amazing as a manga; the chapters aren't that 20 page garbage, and it's finished.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine a collective laugh from since I got banned making fun of what anime you watch. That is what is happening.

New season looks good

Already read the Fate/Zero light novel, it was supreme boner and UFOtable is supreme boner so!!

gonna watch persona 4 I GUESS

the mirai nikki manga got so stupid it was hilarious, I hope the anime will get that far (though there is one part I loved they did nothing with it so uguu)

might start BONES' Sherlock Holmes (UN-GO)

will start Code Geass season 3 (Guilty Crown)

btw armoured trooper votoms is super boner and if you aren't an objectively terrible person you will watch it!!

might start BONES' Sherlock Holmes (UN-GO)

Are you saying you missed Moe Holmes aka GOSICK, also by BONES? If you did, good, because it sucked.

Next season is full of sequels, including but not limited to Bakuman 2, Squid Girl 2, and Shakugan no Shana 3, all of which I'll be catching. Then there's the obvious Fate/zero (simulcasted in 8 languages, wut), and I've been looking at Future Diary and Tamayura for a while and they just happened to fall into this next season with everything else, and then I might have another show or two based on what certain sub groups pick up...I'll have a heavy load.

Are you saying you missed Moe Holmes aka GOSICK, also by BONES? If you did, good, because it sucked.

Next season is full of sequels, including but not limited to Bakuman 2, Squid Girl 2, and Shakugan no Shana 3, all of which I'll be catching. Then there's the obvious Fate/zero (simulcasted in 8 languages, wut), and I've been looking at Future Diary and Tamayura for a while and they just happened to fall into this next season with everything else, and then I might have another show or two based on what certain sub groups pick up...I'll have a heavy load.

no I never watched gosick. Do you know who directed/wrote it? I've got "Directed by Mizushima Seiji (the original FMA, Gundam 00, Slayers Next), written by Aikawa Shou (The Twelve Kingdoms, the original FMA, Shikabane Hime)" on un-go, so it should be at least okay!!

As for fate/zero, the light novel at least is better than the fsn visual novel imo (though zo]h prefers fsn (this might have to do with our route preferences, my favourite is hf and zo]h's is ubw and zero is more like hf, but I'm not sure)). So yeah, since ufotable is doing it, you should be prepared to see a legitimately good fate anime. 8888] It's also awesome that they've took a preemptive and innovative step against piracy and I will be watching it legally (if I can get my computer through whatever video hosting they use without it breaking)

The best parts of Heaven's Feel were the continuing development of Rin, Ilya, and Rider as sympathetic and interesting characters. Fuck Sakura. Could not stand her.

Also, despite all the shit that gets talked about DEEN, I actually kind of enjoy them.

Edited by Balcerzak

Bal most characters are better in hf than the other routes. Exceptions are honestly some of the coolest people (archer and lancer are best in ubw for example), but I would argue that Saber, Kirei, Rin, Ilya, Rider, Shirou, Berserker, and Gilgamesh are all better in HF than the other routes (I say this knowing all implications of it, no need to spoil some things, even in tags~)

But I also really like Sakura >8888] (though fuck assassin in hf)

Bakuman 2

which I'll be catching

Why would you put yourself through such torture? I would have to guess you've never read the manga, as such is the only logical reason as to why anyone would want to watch the second season of Bakuman. It's a shame that the manga has become so awful as of late though...

The manga is infinitely better than the anime though.

Why am I not surprised? As a side note, from what I have seen of the anime, they added in an extra female character because there are only three (technically four) female characters in the manga (who barely ever show up) right?

Edited by Blademaster!

Heaven's feel is awesome. At least kirei finally showed us his badass side hahahaha and there's Gil, Ilya, Rider, Sakura and Rin... Although WTH Assassin...

Although I still prefer UBW. The movie seems butchered though...

Although I dunno about anyone else but Fate/zero seems to be a whole bunch of jerks fighting over who's the biggest... Not that it isn't entertaining though

There's a Persona 4 anime? MUST... WATCH...

Why would you put yourself through such torture? I would have to guess you've never read the manga, as such is the only logical reason as to why anyone would want to watch the second season of Bakuman. It's a shame that the manga has become so awful as of late though...

You know, if there's one thing I can't stand, it's "LOL MANGA > ANIME" elitists. No, I haven't read the manga. And guess what? I don't give a shit. I liked the first season of the anime and I'll be continuing. It helps that I don't like reading scans and have a hard time acquiring volumes.

You know, if there's one thing I can't stand, it's "LOL MANGA > ANIME" elitists.

Those are the facts of life though. The original version is almost always better than the adaption. In the case of Bakuman though, the anime adaptation is probably about equal, if only worse because of the much slower pacing And the fact that JC Staff is responsible for the adaptation.

The main reason I asked whether you had read the manga though is because if you had read the manga, I couldn't possibly think of why you'd want to go through the same dull story again. Since you haven't read the manga, obviously the anime is still new and interesting to you.

Those are the facts of life though. The original version is almost always better than the adaption.

This is no "fact," this is opinion. From my experience, at least in this area, anime adaptations of manga are usually about the same for the parts adapted faithfully (which means excluding filler, etc.). All it comes down to is whether you prefer anime or manga.

This is no "fact," this is opinion.

An opinion generally agreed upon as fact, much like a scientific theory.

From my experience, at least in this area, anime adaptations of manga are usually about the same for the parts adapted faithfully (which means excluding filler, etc.).

But when you judge a series, you don't just look at the specific parts of it and say it's good because of those specific parts. You need to take a look at the whole picture. For example, many people will generally agree that the first arc of Naruto is very well done and is pretty great, but that everything afterwords is terrible. As such, the series is held in a negative view, because although there is one good part, the rest of it is awful. Hence the reason why such opinions show up.

Additional problems that people can have besides filler are things like deviating from the original story and having an anime original ending/story (Death Note, Rosario Vampire, Yumekui Merry, Full Metal Alchemist), less "graphic" scenes (Naruto, One Piece, Berserk), and missing or skipping certain scenes (Nurarihyon No Mago, One Piece).

There are manga that do get good adaptations though, like Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, The World God Only Knows, and Sora No Otoshimono, but there are more series that get fucked over by shitty adaptations, and when that does happen, the result can be pretty awful as was the case with Rosario Vampire and Yumekui Merry.

Heaven's feel is awesome. At least kirei finally showed us his badass side hahahaha and there's Gil, Ilya, Rider, Sakura and Rin... Although WTH Assassin...

Although I still prefer UBW. The movie seems butchered though...

Although I dunno about anyone else but Fate/zero seems to be a whole bunch of jerks fighting over who's the biggest... Not that it isn't entertaining though

There's a Persona 4 anime? MUST... WATCH...

die

Fate/Zero (the light novel) is absolutely amazing, and imo it's the best part of the fate series. Speaking of which, F/Z episode 1 is out. It's double length for some reason, the rest of the show will almost definitely be regular length because fz isn't long enough for that and not only is ufotable not that dumb, the original writer (gen urobuchi <3) is helping with it as well. I'm only 31 minutes in right now but it's looking gr9. It's wordy but they kind of have to get this stuff out of the way or it would only inevitably end up being bad.

WARNING: HEAVEN'S FEEL SPOILERS ABOUND jegus fuck don't tell me I didn't warn you

http://ch.nicovideo.jp/channel/fate-zero

An opinion generally agreed upon as fact, much like a scientific theory.

Uh, bullshit? Lol @ comparing this to scientific theory. If more people have red as their favorite color than blue does that make red a "better" color, factually? Because comparing this to favorite colors really is a more accurate way to do it.

On a side note, I find the main reason people say the source material is better than the adaptation is because it's what they experienced first and they can nitpick an adaptation. What you experience first tends to be what you judge later versions by, so, in particular, if you really like a manga, chances are you won't like the anime as much if it deviates even a little. But that doesn't actually make it worse, and people don't always realize that. Happens all the time in sub vs dub arguments.

But when you judge a series, you don't just look at the specific parts of it and say it's good because of those specific parts. You need to take a look at the whole picture. For example, many people will generally agree that the first arc of Naruto is very well done and is pretty great, but that everything afterwords is terrible. As such, the series is held in a negative view, because although there is one good part, the rest of it is awful. Hence the reason why such opinions show up.

I'm talking about adaptations. Yes, filler can bog an anime down. That is undeniable. But I do not count that as part of an "adaptation" of source material because it's not part of the source material (and you can usually skip it quite easily). You can watch the first ~130 episodes of Naruto to get all the good stuff and not watch any of the rest. Yes, on the whole the Naruto anime would be worse than the manga, but as for the adapted parts? No.

And yet, even filler can be good. Gintama fans claim that Gintama filler is very good. Aside from the one filler arc Fairy Tail got, Fairy Tail's filler is generally highly entertaining. Good thing about it is that you can skip anime filler and know you missed nothing but it's not so easy with the manga because everything is usually canon and skipping boring parts can mean you lose out on important plot details.

Additional problems that people can have besides filler are things like deviating from the original story and having an anime original ending/story (Death Note, Rosario Vampire, Yumekui Merry, Full Metal Alchemist), less "graphic" scenes (Naruto, One Piece, Berserk), and missing or skipping certain scenes (Nurarihyon No Mago, One Piece).

I haven't read the manga but I am pretty sure Death Note was adapted faithfully. The 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist anime was actually very well-received despite deviating from the manga heavily, so that's not actually helping your point. In addition, having an anime original ending/story is not even inherently bad, as shown with FMA. A more recent example is Usagi Drop, where manga readers are pretty much just hoping that the rest of the manga either isn't animated or is changed drastically because the manga spiraled down into shit territory.

Less "graphic" scenes is again up to the viewer. Some people don't care about less blood. Some people prefer less blood, etc. In fact, none of what you've mentioned is inherently a problem. Even if it is a problem in some cases, there are other places where it's fine and can even be better. It's not uncommon to hear of manga fans liking certain scenes better in the anime than the manga simply because of things like voice acting and music. A recent example from episode 99 of Fairy Tail.

Uh, bullshit? Lol @ comparing this to scientific theory.

I really don't see how that is a bad comparison considering that it is a general opinion in many different mediums the original is almost always better than the adaptation (an agreement based upon a majority consensus of the community) and I can use facts to back up my arguments. To be honest, I think you are the only person I've ever seen argue against the idea of manga > anime adaptation of manga as a whole. I've seen people say Original FMA > FMA:BH and things like that, but such only pertains to one series.

If more people have red as their favorite color than blue does that make red a "better" color, factually?

Depending on the situation, possibly. For example, red is a better color than blue when it comes to stirring an appetite in someone as it has been shown that the color red is linked to hunger.

On a side note, I find the main reason people say the source material is better than the adaptation is because it's what they experienced first and they can nitpick an adaptation. What you experience first tends to be what you judge later versions by, so, in particular, if you really like a manga, chances are you won't like the anime as much if it deviates even a little.

Fair enough.

But that doesn't actually make it worse, and people don't always realize that.

But it usually does, which is the reason why there is such a large amount of people who share my opinion.

I'm talking about adaptations. Yes, filler can bog an anime down. That is undeniable. But I do not count that as part of an "adaptation" of source material because it's not part of the source material (and you can usually skip it quite easily). You can watch the first ~130 episodes of Naruto to get all the good stuff and not watch any of the rest. Yes, on the whole the Naruto anime would be worse than the manga, but as for the adapted parts? No.

For series that have tons of episodes spanning more than one season, that isn't a problem in such a case, but for shorter series, it becomes a big problem, but I see what you are trying to say.

And yet, even filler can be good. Gintama fans claim that Gintama filler is very good. Aside from the one filler arc Fairy Tail got, Fairy Tail's filler is generally highly entertaining.

I think Gintama and DBZ are the only series I have ever seen get praised for having good filler. Fairy Tail on the other hand, well... I never really hear much about it so I can't say. I remember dropping Beelzebub at episode Four because it decided to have filler there for no reason at all (in addition to some other scenes being adapted poorly).

but it's not so easy with the manga because everything is usually canon and skipping boring parts can mean you lose out on important plot details.

Wouldn't that also hold true for adapted parts of manga, along with anime original series?

I haven't read the manga but I am pretty sure Death Note was adapted faithfully.

It was for the most part, but the ending was pretty different as explained in the below spoiler

IIRC, the anime has Light run away from the police during the final scene after he had been shot until finally finding a place to lie down in and rest at to await is oncoming death. Elsewhere, in a happy mood, Ryuk thinks to himself how he had fun following Light, but now it's time for the fun to end, and then kills light, with light dying pretty peacefully in a more "god like manner" in terms of how his body is positioned.

In the manga, after being shot up, Light crawls on the ground begging Ryuk to kill everyone to which Ryuk responds he will kill one person, and then cruelly says he will kill light. All the police shoot at Ryuk to try and stop him from killing Light, but that doesn't work, and light dies in front of everyone on the ground crying about how he doesn't want to die, showing the face of a dying criminal as compared to the more noble death the anime gives him. Ryuk also tells light about what happens after you die. The manga also has a added one shot chapter about Near that takes place after the series is over, and was about some other person being given the death note but an entirely different shinigami, and I think the epilogue to the series was never adapted, but that was just a one chapter thing.

The 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist anime was actually very well-received despite deviating from the manga heavily, so that's not actually helping your point.

Yes, it was well received, but that doesn't make it better than the manga, which was also very well received. In saying that most manga are better than their adaptations, I don't mean to say that all adaptations are bad, just not as good as the manga in most cases. Also, I never once argued that the manga is always better than the anime adaptation. Just that such is the more likely scenario, meaning that you trying to argue that the original version of the FMA anime being better than the manga actually does support my argument, since I've said that there are exceptions (Though I would personally say that FMA:BH > than the original anime).

A more recent example is Usagi Drop, where manga readers are pretty much just hoping that the rest of the manga either isn't animated or is changed drastically because the manga spiraled down into shit territory.

Usagi Drop is one of the only series I've ever seen where people wanted it to have an anime original end since the ending to that manga is, sadly, shit. The other is Mira Nikki (airing this season), which also had a shitty ending for the manga apparently.

In fact, none of what you've mentioned is inherently a problem.

I'm going to assume that this only refers to two of the three points I made, because not adapting certain scenes into an anime is always a bad thing for adaptations to do.