What anime/manga are you following right now?

Hatari

I prefer the first series of FMA over Brotherhood. I know that not everyone agrees with me, but I just felt the first series was paced better and connected the viewer to the characters more, even if some of the early episodes of the 2003 series are completely unnecessary. They are both good series though, both deserve a look.

What I've been watching right now?

Shinichiro Watanabe *finally* returns to direct an anime series, and even though this isn't an original creation of his like Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo, this is still dang good. The animation is great, the music is freaking amazing (Yoko Kanno), and the characters are developed extremely well.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished watching FMA, gonna watch Brotherhood now. Seeing as I had pretty low expectations and expected it to be along the lines of something like Naruto or Bleach, I can say it easily exceeded that and I really enjoyed watching it. Hope Brotherhood is just as good (if not better).

That is because FMA is actually very well-written and doesn't focus on putting a bunch of fights in.

What I've been watching right now?

Shinichiro Watanabe *finally* returns to direct an anime series, and even though this isn't an original creation of his like Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo, this is still dang good. The animation is great, the music is freaking amazing (Yoko Kanno), and the characters are developed extremely well.

Ugh...I don't get this series. It's the only series from last season I dropped. All I'm seeing is a typical love triangle (pentagon) with annoying characters.

Anyway, new season has come, and I am pretty excited for Yuru Yuri ♪♪ and Binbougami ga!

The characters seem really human to me...then again, I tend to like a number of characters that seem really annoying to people. Example, I think Squall is the best-written Final Fantasy protagonist. I know, go ahead and shoot me. Reasons are that I have my own emotional issues, and characters that demonstrate those issues speak to me. I immediately identified with Kaoru because he has abandonment issues (like I do), and Sen's story does help understand him as a character. Yes, there is the love triangle/pentagon thing going on, but I just like the characters quite a bit. Love triangles are so freaking common in Anime/manga, but this is one of those shows where they are done well. Kaoru starts to realize that he can't be proactive in chasing Ritsuko because of her infatuation, and Sen is someone who is completely unaware of others' romantic feelings.

That and I love the post-Swing, early/late Bop eras of Jazz and the music sounds amazing. Then again, I am that sort of critic-type watcher. It takes a bit for me to say "screw it I'm enjoying the ham" about a series. I just think that this series is extremely well-written.

all I know about SOA is that apparently the light novel series it's based on is apparently pretty okay, and the first episode was also pretty okay, so okay! Also watching Total Eclipse even though I haven't even started mle yet because why not. I don't really care about it though, I just can't wait to see BETA in an srw game, they are so amazingly ugly~

I really, really want there to be some cameos in Total Eclipse, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen. Still, I hope it will be a good sidestory nonetheless.

Also, pretty amusing and accurate breakdown of the first two episodes and comparing the flow of events to Extra Unlimited Alternative. Don't know who made it, but it was linked in a irc channel I frequent.

[spoiler=Total Eclipse]pnxZM.jpg

I am currently watching FMA (just finished watching episode 22), and it is way better than Bleach and Naruto (which, I admit, are the only other animes I have watched.). I hope Brotherhood will live up to its standards!

I may try Code Geass afterwards.

ha ha ha, oh god

I wasn't sure if I would watch Lagrange season 2, but holy shit I need to now... later

[spoiler=The best possible approach to interstellar diplomacy]

KSiAe.png

Finished FMA Brotherhood a couple of days ago. Since I liked the original FMA, I expected even bigger things out of Brotherhood, and it boy did it deliver. Easily one of my all time favs and was definitely better than the original.

Watching Muv Luv Total Eclipse. Seems pretty decent so far. Not really sure why there's so much Jap/America hate but whatever. Probably gonna watch Sword Art Online once I catch up with that. Any other good anime this season?

Watching Muv Luv Total Eclipse. Seems pretty decent so far. Not really sure why there's so much Jap/America hate but whatever. Probably gonna watch Sword Art Online once I catch up with that. Any other good anime this season?

Try Binbogami ga!, Humanity Has Declined, and Kokoro Connect.

If I recall correctly much of it stems from the fact that in the alternate universe, much like the in actual history, America had stationed bases on Japanese soil following WWII and the dissolution of the Japanese armed forces. When the BETA arrived, America withdrew all of its forces to NA for its own protection, leaving Japan to fend for itself. This is why the Japanese hate/distrust America.

On the other side of the spectrum, America still isn't happy about Pearl Harbor, and IIRC the Japanese surrender agreement in this AU left Japan still with an Emperor and a Shogunate, so the post-war reconciliation did not develop as smoothly. That said, I do get the feeling it is overstated in that direction, probably due to Yuuya's mixed heritage and the fact that as children bullies are terrible for any reason real or imagined.

[spoiler=slight spoilers for muvluv alternative]

In the Coup d'Etat arc, Major Walken and the individual members of the American armed forces held no special antipathy towards the Japanese, at least from my reading of it. However, it certainly was true that the American government was trying to manipulate the situation for its own purposes. (Not like that would /ever/ happen in real life conflicts, no siree. >_>)

Saint Seiya Omega: Still watching because of nostalgia. It's shit, though.

Rurouni Kenshin Shin Kyoto Hen: Waiting for episode 2, though I didn't like episode 1. Original Kyoto arc is superior, etc.

Binbougami ga!: Dropped at episode 3 because I can't stand that lead that isn't Momiji.

Sword Art Online: Picked it because of the "no girls in the internet" shenanigan in episode 1. The series is a tad generic and suffers from bad pacing, but is bearable so far.

Accel World: Decided to watch it because of SOA. I have no regrets. Why did they change that ending theme

I don't watch a lot of anime, but I've watched and read some. I think I was recently watching Naruto, specifically Naruto Shippuden

Recently finished Card Captor Sakura, and parts of Death note, but abruptly stopped reading it for some unknown reason.

If I recall correctly much of it stems from the fact that in the alternate universe, much like the in actual history, America had stationed bases on Japanese soil following WWII and the dissolution of the Japanese armed forces. When the BETA arrived, America withdrew all of its forces to NA for its own protection, leaving Japan to fend for itself. This is why the Japanese hate/distrust America.

On the other side of the spectrum, America still isn't happy about Pearl Harbor, and IIRC the Japanese surrender agreement in this AU left Japan still with an Emperor and a Shogunate, so the post-war reconciliation did not develop as smoothly. That said, I do get the feeling it is overstated in that direction, probably due to Yuuya's mixed heritage and the fact that as children bullies are terrible for any reason real or imagined.

[spoiler=slight spoilers for muvluv alternative]

In the Coup d'Etat arc, Major Walken and the individual members of the American armed forces held no special antipathy towards the Japanese, at least from my reading of it. However, it certainly was true that the American government was trying to manipulate the situation for its own purposes. (Not like that would /ever/ happen in real life conflicts, no siree. >_>)

Ahhh I didn't catch that part (why the Japanese hate America) when I was watching it. I figured the hate towards Japan was due to Pearl Harbor and Yuuya's past bullying. I just feel like it's been a bit over the top but then again it seems that nationalism in general is a theme of the show. I don't feel like it ruins the show or anything, it's just a bit unnecessary is all. I was wondering if the creators of the show were trying to make a statement about the real world with the Japan/America hate, but maybe I'm just thinking a little too much about it.

[spoiler=Response to Spoiler]Pshhhh that's just nonsense! That would /never/ happen IRL!

Humanity Has Declined

Haven't gotten around to watching everything yet, but I'd say this is "the best anime this season" to that sort of effect.

at least from my reading of it

I think that was one of the only two points of that arc, the other being

Humanity will never truly learn to work together.

Ahhh I didn't catch that part (why the Japanese hate America) when I was watching it.

Did you read Alternative?

I was wondering if the creators of the show were trying to make a statement about the real world with the Japan/America hate, but maybe I'm just thinking a little too much about it.

I wish Age was intelligent enough to think of something like that. It probably all just stems from the author being mad at America, since from what I hear about his response to companies wanting to translate Muv Luv officially, that seems to be the case. And Alternative is loaded with anti-America sentiment. Most of the Japanese characters shown

(if not all of them; Takeru and Yuuhi were probably the only ones who didn't seem to care about America) hate America with a passion, but the one American you really meet (Walken) is the most level headed person in that entire arc. It's actually funny how mad everyone gets around him since pretty much everything he says is right, though he doesn't know what's going on in the background.