Which Cavalier?

ZARL

26 members have voted

1. 1. In NM which of the starting 3 cavaliers do you use?

2. 2. In HM which of the starting 2 cavaliers do you use?

I've been wondering for a while because everyone seems to have a different preference, if it matters or if they all end up pretty much the same. If you use 2 or more of the cavaliers choose either your favorite or whoever ended up strongest.

Edited by ZARL

Frey, Abel. Pretty much the same for everyone, I think?

Stop generalizing you... You...

Person. D<

Eh, I use Frey and Cain, in normal anyway.

What about Roshea and Vyland? No one seems to use them at all. Midia is an ok character too.

I like Roshea better than Hardin.

Nobody seems to use them because they aren't very good.

Is Frey woth using?

Yes. All three of them have similar stats.

Edited by Yan Wang

I promoted Cain and he doesnt live up to his name

15 strength at lv 1

I promoted him at level 15

Abel got more strength

I'll think about using Frey though....

Edited by Vivek

I promoted Cain and he doesnt live up to his name

15 strength at lv 1

I promoted him at level 15

Abel got more strength

I'll think about using Frey though....

What's wrong with 15 strength at 15/1? =\

Me, personally, if one of them should go sniper, I'd reclass one after promoting. I usually don't have them go SM due to their averages.

I usually use whatever I can, the only cavs I don't use are Matthis, Roshea, and Vyland.

The first poll should have "Depends on the circumstances." and "All three of them!", second poll should have "Both of them!"

Edited by LittleAl

Hardin usually gets about the same stats as frey.

Roshea has terrible speed (12), but pretty good strength, skill, luck I found out and Vyland capped his speed, and was average everywhere else.

Abel = Cain generally for me.

Roshea seems to be the kind of character that hits hard once and hopes to survive with his high HP.

Both Cain and Abel are amazing. Use both.

I disagree with this rather strongly, on three different levels.

First of all, there are only four units that are truly amazing in H5: Barst, Caeda, Sedgar and Wolf (in roughly that order). Nobody else can compare to them. The fifth best unit (Cord maybe?) is frankly not even close, the gap between him and the top four is like the Grand Canyon.

Secondly, of the early Cavaliers that are salvageable (aka not counting Roshea or Vyland), Cain is probably the worst. He has D Swords and E Lances, the most useless possible combination of earlygame weapon ranks. Not only does he lack 2-range when it's actually important, take counters from everything, and need nearly 40 combats before he even understands which end of Ridersbane is the pointy one, but the only weapon he's actually custom-made for (Steel Sword) weighs him down at base level and gets him doubled by the enemies that it's good against. Way to go Cain, YTMND.

Thirdly, Cavalier isn't so great that you'd want two of them at once, because it's a niche class. Even your "fast" Cavalier option (aka Abel) is failing to double a useful portion of enemies until promotion, which is another way of saying "never", since you're a Paladin at that point. At the 2-range game they are mediocre at best, easily outgunned by both Hunters and Mages, since javelins are ho-hum and they aren't doubling anything important anyway. The best thing that you can say about a Cavalier is that they have high land-MV for when that's useful, and easy access to C Lances for effective weaponry. But by the time you even get two Ridersbanes, the game is like halfway over, and god help you if you fail to OHKO a Manakete, because you're probably getting doubled and ORKO'ed on counter if you're a Cavalier.

tl;dr: Cavalier is a decent niche class in H5, but it's not amazing and you don't really need two.

Edited by Interceptor

but the only weapon he's actually custom-made for (Steel Sword) weighs him down at base level and gets him doubled by the enemies that it's good against. Way to go Cain, YTMND.

He isn't going to be base level by the time you get a steel sword.

He isn't going to be base level by the time you get a steel sword.

The point -- which wasn't so deeply embedded that I found it necessary to explain -- is that Cain is not guaranteed either STR or SPD on his level-ups, meaning that his bases can result in getting doubled if he gets RNG-screwed.